• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Pluto

That's true, inbetween the pretty artwork, there's a ton of freaking hair. lol. It didn't really bother me until you said something, thanks. ;P
My pleasure! ;)

I hope they release more artwork soon, now that I've seen the first piece I'm greedy. I would love to see the inner senshi of course but also the villains and maybe even get a look at the supporting cast. I hope they keep Rei's grandpa, he was hilarious on the old anime, the later seasons really suffered fromphasing out almost the entire supporting cast.

MikeMyers

I feel like I should watch a PGSM episode that focuses on Mamoru for the birthdays, which one should I pick?

And yeah, I hated how they slowly started phasing out the cast. Do Umino and Naru even appear in Stars?

MikeMyers

Pft, the offer was more than fair! You only need to win 3 games. Not even for Naoko's birthday man, tsk tsk.

tumblr_lq5jd3dPpq1qbm2k3o1_500.gif

You and I in a nutshell.

We'll have to do a 4 way together again, this time I need to actually battle RoryDropKick

EDIT - Went back to original Jaken avatar.

Pluto

And yeah, I hated how they slowly started phasing out the cast. Do Umino and Naru even appear in Stars?
I think Naru and Umino last appeared in SuperS in an early episode.

But the supporting cast largely vanished after R, they only had a few appearances after that.

I'm not even sure Usagi's family appeared during Sailor Stars, did any supporting character show up in that season?

MikeMyers

It seems even the Inner Senshi were being slowly phased out after R. It's not noticeable in S due to the Outer Senshi being present, but it was really notable for me in SuperS.

Pluto

That's true, it seemed like they got heir token appearances in most episodes but not much more.

And SuperS was the Chibiusa show, even Usagi looked like her sidekick in at least half of the episodes.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I don't hate Chibiusa, but SuperS way overexposed her.

I think the Inner Senshi being to appear more once the Amazon Trio arc was over, and Stars just felt like Usagi and a plus one for its episodic stuff.

Pluto

I hated Chibiusa during R, she was very young and scared, I get that, but she was also an annoying brat and I always supported Usagi when she got pissed.

I think they used her best during S, she was in a supporting role, her bratiness was toned down to teasing Usagi and her powers failong was always good for a laugh.

MikeMyers

I agree she starts off really annoying, but she matures. S uses her great, that's my favourite season by far.

Although I don't think SuperS is as bad as everyone think it is I'd rather see the anime adapt the last two arcs. We've seen Dark Kingdom plenty of times, so that season is one I'm least excited to see again.

MikeMyers

And so, Tuxedo Jaken was born!

Speaking of which, I did find a post on another forum comparing the two series.

* In the past there are two different kinds of people who don’t interact well with each other: SM – The people of the Earth, and the people of the Moon; InuYasha – humans and demons
* There are two primary characters in the backstory, one male and one female: SM – Endymion and Serenity; InuYasha – InuYasha and Kikyo
* The male comes from one group of people and the female comes from the other: Endymion from Earth and Serenity from the Moon; InuYasha a (half-)demon and Kikyo a human
* The female’s group is in possession of a powerful and sacred jewel: The Maboroshi no Ginzuishou; The Shikon no Tama
* The two characters eventually fall in love, but such a love between the two is forbidden: people from Earth and the Moon cannot be together by law; Kikyo was cursed that if she were to fall in love that she would soon die.
* Another female character places a curse on the main female character that predicts her death: Nehellenia (manga version only); Tsubaki
* Another character becomes infatuated with one of the two main characters and seeks to destroy their romance: Beryl with Endymion; Onigumo with Kikyo
* Said character also desires the possession of the above-mentioned jewel of power: Ginzuishou; Shikon Jewel
* Said character asks a greater force of evil for the power to both break the romance and get the jewel: Queen Metaria; a particular spider demon.
* Once this person gets said power, the person becomes the series main antagonist: Queen Beryl; Naraku
* This villain succeeds at ruining the relationship between the two main characters, but fails to get either the jewel or the person the this villain desired: Endymion died and Queen Serenity used the Ginzuishou to stop the forces of the Dark Kingdom; Kikyo died and had the Shikon Jewel cremated with her body
* Both main characters “leave this world” and their romance ends in a tragedy: Serenity and Endymion die; Kikyo dies and InuYasha is placed in eternal sleep
* The female main character dies right in front of her closest relative: Queen Serenity; Kaede
* The female main character is reincarnated into a new person in the 20th Century who wears a sailor fuku as her main attire: Usagi Tsukino; Kagome Higurashi
* Both the male and female main characters are eventually reunited: Serenity and Endymion were both reincarnated as Usagi and Mamoru and became a couple again; Kikyo was reincarnated as Kagome who traveled back in time and freed InuYasha from his slumber and Kikyo was resurrected in a clay body and would meet with InuYasha every now and then.
* At some point, the jewel returns by emerging from the reincarnated body of the female main character: the Ginzuishou from Usagi’s tear (manga and PGSM version only), the Sacred Jewel from Kagome’s body at the start of the series.
* At another point, said jewel is broken into fragments: the Ginzuishou into the Nijizuishou/Rainbow Crystals (anime verison only); the Sacred Jewel in Sacred Jewel Shards.
* Both Usagi and Kagome have the same number of family members that permanently live in their households. Two male and two female. And one those males is her younger brother in both series: Shingo; Sota
* Both Rei and Kagome live at a shrine run by their grandfathers and are miko/training to be miko. And both grandfathers are comedic and humorous in character.
* Both Rei and Miroku are the spiritual members of the protagonist groups and use similar items to ward off evil spirits/auras/demons.
* Both series have a group of antagonists that consist of seven powerful warriors: the great Seven Youma; the Band of Seven
* Both series have small cat-like companions that can change into more powerful combat forms: Luna/Sailor Luna (PGSM version only); Kirara
* Both series have a child character that is aided by a legendary horse of great power: Chibiusa and Pegasus; Hakudoshi and Entei
* Usagi and Chibiusa fight with each other similar over something trivial like how InuYasha and Shippo fight with each other over something trivial
* Usagi & Rei fought over Tuxedo Kamen, and Usagi & Chibiusa fight over Mamoru like how InuYasha and Koga fight over Kagome (but less violent).

cj_iwakura

I feel like I should watch a PGSM episode that focuses on Mamoru for the birthdays, which one should I pick?

If memory serves they appear in literally one episode, for a couple minutes.

Also, look at it this way:
They're spared Galaxia's wrath.

If we do it the opening should be me vs RoryDropkick, mainly because I didn't get to battle him last time.

I'm fine with that. I like watching everyone play too. We could switch off and stuff. Wish you guys had something 4 player co-op; Castle Crashers, Moon Diver, Castlevania Harmony of Despair. That would be kinda cool.

Would be nice to get a new Sailor Moon game for when the anime comes out later this year!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hi, everyone.

While it is true I have my differences with a couple of presumed regulars in this thread, it actually has nothing to do with why I never got around to posting in here. It really a combination of me always thinking about my promise to come up with a proper OP for this thread whenever I thought about it and me never actually subscribing to the thread so getting here meant going out of way as far as my normal forum browsing habits were concerned, because who ever clicks on the community tab? It's not just the unfulfilled promise that bugs me, but it's that I have it laid out in my mind and I never got the chance to really sit down and make it happen when it was of mind to do so.

Anyway, I started watching the Sailor Moon anime as the dub originally aired in 1995. I have since seen, watched, read, or listened to...

All of the original DiC dub.
All of the 90's anime series, in Japanese. Several times at different points over many years, and I'm fairly familiar with the staff involved in different episodes.
All anime movies.
All anime specials.
All CD albums not related to the upcoming anime. (I owned the Memorial Music Box and Memorial Song Box at one point, too.)
All Cassette Collection albums. (Audio-only dramas by the anime crew)
Played and beaten the Another Story RPG, and dabbled in all the games I'm aware of on Super Famicom, PS1/Saturn, and arcade. There was even that old PC fangame ages ago.
All of the live action series.
All live action specials.
All of the manga, in English.
All of the manga, in Japanese.

Pretty much my main oversight is the musicals and various merchandising. Also, "Ai no Senshi" was the very first MP3 I had listened to, back before Winamp was a thing. I endured the limbo between 1996 and 1998 where the fate of the show as entirely up in the air and the modern day level of access was only a dream to me, even going through Hitoshi Doi's old website to read episode synopsis. Yes, there was also that horribly misguided and desperate site, SOS. My overall thoughts on the treatment of the show in the west by companies and especially fans can be summed up similarly to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Sorry I'm late.

MikeMyers

tumblr_n1s5qbt7311rwcmrwo1_500.gif

HE'S HERE!

You really don't have to do a OP write-up if you don't want to, I already did one even though yours would be better, but if you really want to you can just modify the one in the original post and I'll edit it in.

Hi, everyone.

While it is true I have my differences with a couple of presumed regulars in this thread, it actually has nothing to do with why I never got around to posting in here. It really a combination of me always thinking about my promise to come up with a proper OP for this thread whenever I thought about it and me never actually subscribing to the thread so getting here meant going out of way as far as my normal forum browsing habits were concerned, because who ever clicks on the community tab? It's not just the unfulfilled promise that bugs me, but it's that I have it laid out in my mind and I never got the chance to really sit down and make it happen when it was of mind to do so.

Anyway, I started watching the Sailor Moon anime as the dub originally aired in 1995. I have since seen, watched, read, or listened to...

All of the original DiC dub.
All of the 90's anime series, in Japanese. Several times at different points over many years, and I'm fairly familiar with the staff involved in different episodes.
All anime movies.
All anime specials.
All CD albums not related to the upcoming anime. (I owned the Memorial Music Box and Memorial Song Box at one point, too.)
All Cassette Collection albums. (Audio-only dramas by the anime crew)
Played and beaten the Another Story RPG, and dabbled in all the games I'm aware of on Super Famicom, PS1/Saturn, and arcade. There was even that old PC fangame ages ago.
All of the live action series.
All live action specials.
All of the manga, in English.
All of the manga, in Japanese.

Pretty much my main oversight is the musicals and various merchandising. Also, "Ai no Senshi" was the very first MP3 I had listened to, back before Winamp was a thing. I endured the limbo between 1996 and 1998 where the fate of the show as entirely up in the air and the modern day level of access was only a dream to me, even going through Hitoshi Doi's old website to read episode synopsis. Yes, there was also that horribly misguided and desperate site, SOS. My overall thoughts on the treatment of the show in the west by companies and especially fans can be summed up similarly to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Sorry I'm late.

Nice to have you here proper! <3

Redid my room this week (and basically turned it into a game room), and I finally found a nice place for my Sailor Moon S.H. Figuarts figure...and I put a rose behind her:

Part of that rose is holding on to Luna's tail, which is the only thing keeping her from falling down again and again and again...

Still not sure if I'll get anymore of these figures. I'm tempted, though...but I have no space.

Anyway, I might buy the rest of the manga soon...just as soon as I get a bit of Amazon credit I'm waiting for. I'm gonna buy it the second box set, and then short story books at some point afterwards.

So, yeah, I posted something, Mike. Happy now? :p

Take down some of the posters and put up wall shelving.

It's not my house, so I don't think I can add shelves. Maybe when I move...

I don't particularly trust wall shelves, though. I've seen too much stuff hanging off of walls fall down to trust something like that to hold up a bunch of money's worth of stuff.

Thanks, though.

Edit: New character t-shirts out at Hot Topic and Amazon (via...Hot Topic):

Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn, and Chibiusa

All are women's sizes, though.

More t-shirt's here: http://moonkitty.net/buy-new-sailor-moon-tshirts.php

cj_iwakura

It's not my house, so I don't think I can add shelves. Maybe when I move...

I don't particularly trust wall shelves, though. I've seen too much stuff hanging off of walls fall down to trust something like that to hold up a bunch of money's worth of stuff.

Thanks, though.

Edit: New character t-shirts out at Hot Topic and Amazon (via...Hot Topic):

Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn, and Chibiusa

All are women's sizes, though.

All the best shirts there are.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You can also turn the figuarts stand the other way, so the text isn't facing away and isn't in the way of their feet.

Conan-san

The bit where Usagi spasses out going "YOU CAN'T MAKE YOURSELF A TARGET YOU CAN'T YOU CAN'T YOU CAN'T!" whilst thrashing Mina across the UFO Catcher is one of my all time favourte bits of comedy in anime.

MikeMyers

Truly living the dream.

I've always wondered but are Hotaru and Saturn two different people? That was always the vibe I got from watching Stars.

Oh, I checked out the new manga release of Ranma 1/2, very cool!

Anyone think they can edit out the random guy from this gif?

Truly living the dream.

I've always wondered but are Hotaru and Saturn two different people? That was always the vibe I got from watching Stars.

Oh, I checked out the new manga release of Ranma 1/2, very cool!

Anyone think they can edit out the random guy from this gif?

Why ever would you want to do that? LOL

Top Bottom