• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Hmm so the Movies and TV Shows are different tellings of the same story like how PGSM is? Which one should I check first? I looked for DVD/Blurays, looks like the movies are in print but not the show.
At this point, you might as well wait for the inevitable Blu-ray release of the show. Then again, if they are waiting for 4.0's release it might be a while. -_-

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_lz5n6l2WtN1qagu0no1_400.gif

MikeMyers

Nice Gif, and thanks for steering this thread back on-topic.

What's the one thing from the manga that you mostly want to see in the new anime? For me its the Chibiusa/Amazon Quartet team up.

Cheerilee

Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku are part of the "Rumiko Takahashi" tree of works, along with Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha. IMO, it's not a great idea to watch them all at once. Better to pick and watch one, then get some distance before coming back for more.

Since Evangelion is not currently available, I would suggest exploring the "Gainax" tree, which includes Gunbuster (OAV series) and Nadia (TV series + movie).

Bladenic

Nice Gif, and thanks for steering this thread back on-topic.

What's the one thing from the manga that you mostly want to see in the new anime? For me its the Chibiusa/Amazon Quartet team up.

Minako being the badass and de facto leader instead of bitchy Rei/Mars. Also no more of the Mars being Usagi's bf so much that she forgets about the other 3.

Just no more Mars wanking please. I'm fine with Venus or Jupiter wanking though.

MikeMyers

Oh yeah, more Minako the better! Makoto felt non-existent by Stars, so I'd like to see more of her too.

Given how long Takahashi's works are, I can agree that I shouldn't watch her works at once. A friend of mine actually owns Maison Ikkou DVDs from back in the day, so I guess I can just borrow his during the summer when I have more time.

Hey, Hitokage, you've given some recommendations based on the anime. So I've been wondering, what would you say is "essential" to people who are mostly into the series from the live-action?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Given how long her works are, I can agree that I shouldn't watch her works at once. A friend of mine actually owns Maison Ikkou DVDs from back in the day, so I guess I can just borrow his during the summer when I have more time.

Hey, Hitokage, you've given some recommendations based on the anime. So I've been wondering, what would you say is "essential" to people who are mostly into the series from the live-action?
Usually I have trouble getting people into PGSM rather than guiding them out. Hell, it's one of the things that made me think long and hard about the nature of spoilers in general. What's the point in preserving something only for nobody to see it?

Accordingly, I usually recommend PGSM as something to watch in comparison to Madoka, but I suppose it works the other way. Hmmm... Vampire Princess Miyu TV also plays with the dark side of magical girl, and Red Garden comes pretty close to the genre while playing with double life drama extensively.

MikeMyers

Yeah I have a hard time getting people into PGSM as well. They mostly just dismiss is straight away; I even get this from people who are huge Toku fans.

tumblr_n2r9hbGdjQ1ttjzsio5_r3_250.gif
tumblr_n2r9hbGdjQ1ttjzsio7_r2_250.gif
tumblr_n2r9hbGdjQ1ttjzsio1_r1_250.gif

They're are missing out; PGSM is still my personal favourite version.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So apparently at some point they made condensed movie/recap versions of each season called Sailor Moon Memorial and I hadn't noticed until now. Watched the first and it was pretty much Usagi and Luna talking about the key events of the first season, skipping over everything that wasn't absolutely necessary.

So people who complain about filler, there you go.

As it happens, it's also an inferior product. :p

MikeMyers

Oh yes I've seen that. Also, this is by the greatest thing I have ever read. Motoki is Top Tier.

By the way, Evangelion has been okay so far. I like the character interaction and find them believable, but the story and action hasn't hooked me yet.

MikeMyers

I wanna see Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber animated.

How many times does Mamoru get kidnapped or brainwashed anyway? Queen Beryl, Black Lady, Sailor Galaxia, and even Fiore if you count the first film.

I wanna see Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber animated.

Me too, but it'd still feel kinda a shame to completely ditch the roses. I guess he could alternate but if they're keeping the new series lean and close to the manga I guess he wouldn't really have enough action scenes to work both in.

MikeMyers

Well he doesn't learn Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber until the second arc if I remember correctly, so he can just use the rose for the first season.

tumblr_mz01m9pIsr1ro8ba4o1_250.gif
tumblr_mz01m9pIsr1ro8ba4o2_250.gif

MikeMyers

Yeah the series just isn't the same without our loveable useless goof throwing roses.

You know what else I'd like to see? Him teaming up with the Shitennou like in PGSM.

tumblr_li9yt0IrO81qzh2k2o1_500.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"Four Devas" is probably a better term to use, and it got popularized by Gintama too. Of course, these's always "Four Generals" which also works.

MikeMyers

Why those terms? I've been using Shitennou for as long as I remember; it'd be weird to change now.

Did the anime staff have a preference for any Senshi? I know Rei gets a lot of focus early on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Leaving "Shitennou" untranslated is a miss on TV Nihon's part. Although I guess it's stuck by now like "Sailor Senshi" when "Sailor Soldier" is also official.

MikeMyers

Sailor Senshi just sounds way better.

The "Four Devas" weren't really developed in the manga. I wonder how they will be handled here? Funny thing is, Zoisite is my favourite in the Anime and Toku despite being completely different in both. Jadiete is my least favourite in both.

The use of "baka" instead of "idiot" in that image has always bothered me...

Throwing in Japanese words that have English equivalents into an English sentence just looks and sounds weird. Same goes with any languages.

Also, "baka" is pronounced exactly like the Spanish word for cow, so it's always weird for me. Hah.

Leaving "Shitennou" untranslated is a miss on TV Nihon's part. Although I guess it's stuck by now like "Sailor Senshi" when "Sailor Soldier" is also official.

I prefer to use Sailor Soldiers. I only use "Senshi" when I write it more like "Sailor Soldiers/Senshi/Guardians/Scouts/whatever"...hah.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter too much by now, so I'm mostly thinking aloud here, but given how some of this is from the show's legacy of being mishandled it'd be nice if the new show is a chance to see change on this.

MikeMyers

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter too much by now, so I'm mostly thinking aloud here, but given how some of this is from the show's legacy of being mishandled it'd be nice if the new show is a chance to see change on this.

You didn't answer my question, which is listed below!

So if saying the Amazon Trio arc felt mostly Chibiusa & Usagi dominated is "not an accurate representation of Supers," then what would you say is?

My favourite episode of SuperS is the one where Rei has that kid who idolizes her. So over the top.

Are there any decent Sailor Moon video games, apart from Another Story?

I like the Genesis/MegaDrive and arcade games. The first SNES/Super Famicom fighting game (Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou? Shuyaku Soudatsusen) is a pretty good game, too. The sequel is good, too, but I generally hear that it's not as good/balanced, at least from competitive players.

The rest of the games are okay at best, I guess. I could never figure out how to play the puzzle games.

Top Bottom