• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Got the Animetal Lady version and Animetal USA's Shojou Medley that has Moonlight Densetsu in it?

I've heard the Animetal Lady one before, but no, I don't have it in there. It's cool, but maybe a little overdone for my tastes. Never heard the other one before. Kinda cool. I never heard the other songs in there before, though.

I only have the original Moonlight Densetsu in my playlist.

I have the opening and ending versions of the English theme, along with S.A.F. Remix and the S.A.F. Club Remix.

I'm mostly into R&B, but Stevie Wonder is my favourite singer.

Stevie Wonder is awesome.

But Angel has no Willow! I'll watch it one day, some great shows you listed. I'm more of a Film guy though.

I think I might be more of a TV guy. TV shows give me more to watch. Hah.

Video games > TV shows > Movies for me, I guess.

Oh, yeah, I just found out that the college radio station that a friend of mine works at has a show called "Crystal Tokyo" that's just for anime songs. It's on Sundays at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM Eastern Time.

MikeMyers

Stevie Wonder is the greatest, my cousin is actually named after his daughter too.

Film is definitely my favourite medium, it's also my major. I actually tried to make a Sailor Moon, and the plot ended up being nothing related to the series haha.

So a friend of mine might be going to that convention I mentioned earlier with Mamoru, Beryl/Luna, and Hawkeye's Voice Actors. I told him to have Furuya sign my Dragon Ball volume. In particular, the part of Yamcha's fight with The Invisible Man where Bulma's boobs are shown, because he voices Yamcha. :p

Just watched last year's La Reconquista musical. Pretty good rendition of the Dark Kingdom story with some fun character bits and gorgeous costuming.

tumblr_n408zsydxv1qmx94go1_1280.jpg

B-but Minako, you were really into the hero of Aurora♥Wedding. Or does it not count because he reminded you of the editor and Ace?

MikeMyers

That reminds me, still gotta finish Sailor V. Pretty sure I only had like a chapter or two left.

Poor Minako. In the anime adaptation, we learn that during her Sailor V days her boyfriend was swept away by the local cop who was also Minako's best friend. Pretty sure Usagi was even considering killing the cop, too.

Pluto

But Angel has no Willow!
Angel has Fred! :)

I really like the PGSM songs, for some reason I remember them more than the anime songs (but the anime had a more memorable score), I liked Sakura Fubuki and Friend the most, Friend was kinda cheesy but it sounded so happy, I thought it was perfect for the final scene, I think that was the only time in the series we saw all five senshi together being happy and laughing.

Pluto

Who? I do like me some Cordelia though. :)
Cordelia is one of my favourite Buffy/Angel characters and that's primarily because of the development she gets on Angel.

Fred is introduced at the end of season 2, like Willow she's very smart, the brains of the team. There are also obvious differences but I don't want to go into too much detail, I'd still call Fred Angel's Willow though.

Isn't that...exactly what I posted last page...but on a different site? The pictures and text look identical. Hah.

Also, yeah, Fred is awesome. :)

MikeMyers

Yeah, but I was trying to show it to Pluto. I was actually looking for your post, but there are so many damn quotes I just goggled instead. Should have credited you though!

Animerica had an article comparing the two as well, can't find that one though.

MikeMyers

Glory was pretty cool but I don't remember her actually doing much.

Mayor is best villain, dude just cracks me up everytime.

For Sailor Moon, Fisheye was most enjoyable villian. His character arc of trying to obtain his dream was a highlight of SuperS. Zoisite is a fun bastard too, even if he is pretty generic for a villain. I love how the "Four Devas" (never going to get used to that term) and Queen Beryl were handled in the live-action.

MikeMyers

lol.

So what does everyone think of Sailor Moon R in the anime anyway? A lot of people don't seem to like it, mostly due to Chibiusa and the break-up. Chibiusa definitely annoyed me at first, but now I'm adjusted to her presence and don't mind her. The break-up annoyed me as well at first, but I kind of like it now as it helps make Mamoru more conflicted. Could have done with better execution.

lol.

So what does everyone think of Sailor Moon R in the anime anyway? A lot of people don't seem to like it, mostly due to Chibiusa and the break-up. Chibiusa definitely annoyed me at first, but now I'm adjusted to her presence and don't mind her. The break-up annoyed me as well at first, but I kind of like it now as it helps make Mamoru more conflicted. Could have done with better execution.
Outside of Chibi-usa, I like R a lot. Especially since it introduced based Pluto.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
lol.

I think the concept of the breakup itself was pretty silly, but the actual handling of it in episode 61 was wonderful and I can understand how it was meant to keep the show from being Usagi x Mamoru 24/7. The credit and blame both go to Ikuhara.

MikeMyers

Ah, thanks. Never had seen that before.

So I'm finishing up Neon Genesis Evangelion now, alongside my Pokemon Netflix rewatch. So I'm gonna start my Sailor Moon R watch, while catching up on the Precure that Hitokage recommended. I gotta admit though, the art-style is a bit off a turn for me in the later.

554157_542005082501106_1923653341_n.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Precure? What's that? I mean, I just googled but all the results showed Pretty Cure.
He's referring to Happiness Charge Precure, the current series in the iterative franchise.

How're you watching Sailor Moon anyway?
Technology.

Precure is Pretty Cure. Japan loves shorthand.
I actually don't believe the term "Pretty Cure" ever appears in the Japanese version. It's always just been "Precure".

Maybe taking after "Pretear".

Edit: Oh, I see. In the first series logo. Even so, I don't remember it ever being said in the actual show.

MikeMyers

Live video of Toru Furuya as Mamoru.

Also his Yamcha (Dragon Ball), Seiya (Saint Seiya), and Armuo Ray (Mobile Suit Gundam).

Starting R soon, so was Chibiusa forced on Takeuchi by the editors or Toei? I remember reading that somewhere, it might have even been on here!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Starting R soon, so was Chibiusa forced on Takeuchi by the editors or Toei? I remember reading that somewhere, it might have even been on here!
Not forced, but it was Takeuchi's editor's idea to have her show up. Of course, it should be stated that heavy editor involvement is the norm in manga not the exception.

MikeMyers

Just got done watching the first episode of R.

Man, even Luna notices that Naru gets targeted a lot.

Also Mamoru's Moonlight Knight gimmick in this arc just looks so goofy, Tuxedo Kamen is way better.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
By the way, Kae Araki voices Usagi in eps 44-50 while Mitsuishi was on sick leave. This went a long way toward her being Chibiusa later.

MikeMyers

She did a good job replacing Usagi for those episodes. I also know Kae Araki from her role as Hikaru in Digimon Adventure. Apparently she voiced Sabrina in Pokemon? Now I want to see that.

Time to work on some course work, but if I get anymore time today I'll start that Precure series you mentioned. Probably just post my thoughts in this thread.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just got done watching the first episode of R.

Man, even Luna notices that Naru gets targeted a lot.

Also Mamoru's Moonlight Knight gimmick in this arc just looks so goofy, Tuxedo Kamen is way better.

He knew in advance that Sorcerers/Mystic Knights would own in FFV.

MikeMyers

Of course!

I loved both YYH and HxH as a kid but I tried to rewatch YYH last year and I didn't feel like it aged too well for me, especially the later parts. The dub had some funny dialogue though.

Interestingly, that must mean that this guy is her Mamoru:

FIRAI.jpg

MikeMyers

Watched up to 50 on my R watch and I noticed Sailor Jupiter took out a MOTW by herself! Usually when the Inners get to beat the MOTW they still let Sailor Moon finish them off. Not that I have any complaints with that, but just something I noticed.

Starting Precure...right now!

Syrinx

Watched up to 50 on my R watch and I noticed Sailor Jupiter took out a MOTW by herself! Usually when the Inners get to beat the MOTW they still let Sailor Moon finish them off. Not that I have any complaints with that, but just something I noticed.

Starting Precure...right now!
Which Precure?

A few people told me to check out PreCure a few weeks ago. They recommended the original PreCure, Max Heart PreCure, and Heart Catch PreCure.

I haven't watched any yet. Maybe I'll get around that soon. I haven't watched any anime besides Sailor Moon and Kill la Kill recently. I was going to start watching Urasei Yatsura again, but I haven't gotten around to that yet...and instead, I watched Jem and the Holograms on Netflix. Hah. It's not anime, but it was animated by Toei, if that counts for anything. :p

MikeMyers

The latest one: Happiness Charge Precure

And I've always wanted to see Urasei Yatsura, which reminds me that my Ranma 1/2 Blu-Ray still hasn't arrived.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
A few people told me to check out PreCure a few weeks ago. They recommended the original PreCure, Max Heart PreCure, and Heart Catch PreCure.
Whoever told you to watch this is either not your friend, or unaware of what he or she is asking and is just going on plot continuity.

Whoever told you to watch this is either not your friend, or unaware of what he or she is asking and is just going on plot continuity.

Haha. Maybe...but I might still check it out, anyway, if I end up liking the other one. I'm known for liking things that aren't well liked.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hito's post undersells just how abysmal Max Heart is. Without hyperbole, it is easily one of the most tremendously execrable pieces of entertainment that I have consumed in my life across any medium; a hasty cash-in sequel to Futari wa that blends its own characters into a tasteless gray paste squeezed into the same soulless inflexible episodic mold forty-seven times, usurped by a new and completely hollow and unsympathetic shrinking violet character who completely wrecks the existing character dynamics and dominates the narrative while exhibiting no discernible personal qualities whatsoever, written by five-year-olds and animated by North Koreans. It's an affront to anyone who has even the slightest warmth and affection for the first season and its characters.

Futari wa is a fine place to start, but please don't subject yourself to the Max Heart grinder, ever. Take it from someone who marathoned the whole thing and has the scars to prove it.

MikeMyers

Just got done watching the first episode of Happiness Charge Precure! and enjoyed it. The main protagonist definitely reminds me of Usagi Tsukino and I even read the subtitle saying Aino Megumi as Aino Minako for a second. Oh, and Queen Mirage is a pretty cool name too!

The guy with the top hat and cane, who voices him? He sounds rather familiar.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just got done watching the first episode of Happiness Charge Precure! and enjoyed it. The main protagonist definitely reminds me of Usagi Tsukino and I even read the subtitle saying Aino Megumi as Aino Minako for a second. Oh, and Queen Mirage is a pretty cool name too!
The show is a nice blend of signature Precure stuff while also incorporating elements of Sailor Moon, Minky Momo, and Himitsu no Akko-chan.

The guy with the top hat and cane, who voices him? He sounds rather familiar.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=10080

Top Bottom