• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Hey guys, is it worth it to get the vanilla version for 9.99?

Or is the Full Package DLC worth the extra price?

I definitely can relate to your experience, even with the hard trail blazing. Still haven't played the DLC though :/. I'm probably going to get the Full Package edition soon since my copy is in such a bad shape anyways. And same, hopefully Volition is getting all the resources it needs to really build on this game. The potential can be seen from a mile away. I wouldn't mind those super powers we could've gotten in the Enter the Dominatrix. Hell, it would even be a cool reward for reaching the Max level.

wow, why didn't I think of using a Bear? heh. And the gang/police wanted removal really does come in handy for those pesky high wanted level missions.
also try to get a bulldog frm military area.some of them have a mounted gun.max out the armor and speed for better use.

Grisby

Heck of a bump I know but I was thinking about replaying this game. Was going to get the full package ps3 one from amazon because I never tried any of the DLC. I know it's supposed to be shit but I still want to give it a go.

So, is the DLC on a code sheet or is it on the blu ray disc? Also, if the dlc is code based then what are the odds that my new copy will still be usable (wondering if the dlc has an expiration date).

Thanks bros.

Dinokill

Thanks to El luchador for gifting me this amazing game.

Here is my character. I need to play more with editor more because she looks older than I intended(27 years old)

jZJXsZ3.jpg

Robso

So I'm just playing the Full Package version right now and came to do 'Faster, More Intense' and I saw Andy Zhen and thought I'd seen him in the game previously. And I had. I've already done all the missions for the film so does anyone know why is it on my mission list again from the start?

Anybody else had this?

Thanks.

Batigol

Banned
Is there a problem with the cut scenes in this game? It feels like some of them are skipping when I'm not pressing anything. Or a mission just starts/ends without a cut scene.

Like, I just got to the second island and they were talking about
gats funeral being crashed.
When did that happen?!?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nope, you didn't miss any cutscenes. The game is really like that and it's really a downside of doing the story missions (and mostly just doing those): The story skips ahead a lot.

I'm assuming it's between the cutscene on the bridge and you doing that previous mission choice for Act 1. There must've been a week or so and they did it "off-screen" or the Saint's Line on the bridge was the funeral (which really doesn't make sense on having a funeral procession cross an opening bridge but okay...?)

Grisby

Just stuck with the retail game and have been doing another go through these pass couple of days.

Still a fun game and "What I Got" song scene was just as epic the second time around.

Batigol

Banned
Nope, you didn't miss any cutscenes. The game is really like that and it's really a downside of doing the story missions (and mostly just doing those): The story skips ahead a lot.

I'm assuming it's between the cutscene on the bridge and you doing that previous mission choice for Act 1. There must've been a week or so and they did it "off-screen" or the Saint's Line on the bridge was the funeral (which really doesn't make sense on having a funeral procession cross an opening bridge but okay...?)

Ah, thanks.

I also have four missions at once now since getting to the second island. Does it matter what order I do them in?

TheSeks

Ah, thanks.

I also have four missions at once now since getting to the second island. Does it matter what order I do them in?

No. Those are just extra side missions. When you get "Ho's up, Pimps Down" is when the story missions start back up.

Effect

Does anyone have anything to compare this game to when it comes to just how juvenile and crude it can be? It's on sale on Amazon this week as apart of a bundle that is really cheap however the purpose of buying the bundle would be for this game. So thinking of picking it and Sleeping Dogs up. However I would like to know what I'm getting into to?

Can a lot of the over the top stupidity be skipped if one wished? Or is that the core of the game and no matter what you can't play the game straight if you wished?

Better to just skip it if stick with GTA 4 or maybe Sleeping Dogs if I want something not so over the top?

Thanks.

TheSeks

Er-the wackiness/comedy is the point of the game. Did you not like the Dildo and stuff in GTA3-SA? Because if you didn't like that, you won't like Saint's Row's over the topness.

I mean the opening of 3 begins with an actor following the Saints (who are now a media conglomerate) doing a bank-heist for a "character study" since he's playing one of them in the movie, FFS.

Kabouter

Does anyone have anything to compare this game to when it comes to just how juvenile and crude it can be? It's on sale on Amazon this week as apart of a bundle that is really cheap however the purpose of buying the bundle would be for this game. So thinking of picking it and Sleeping Dogs up. However I would like to know what I'm getting into to?

Can a lot of the over the top stupidity be skipped if one wished? Or is that the core of the game and no matter what you can't play the game straight if you wished?

Better to just skip it if stick with GTA 4 or maybe Sleeping Dogs if I want something not so over the top?

Thanks.

Where in Saints Row 2 it was still a bit of a mix, in Saints Row 3 crazy is the heart of the game. It can not be avoided, if you hate over the top stuff, you will despise the opening hour, and not much after will please you. You would be far better off with Sleeping Dogs, which gets a bit ridiculous towards the end (in a different way than SR3), but is generally far more grounded.

Effect

Thanks. My initial gut feeling was leaning more towards Sleeping Dogs but wasn't sure as I do like a good deal of the things in SR3 from the videos I've seen. However a lot of the over the topness of it wasn't really clicking to well and was becoming annoying.

This game is fucking hilarious. Playing co-op with a friend right now and we're basically just laughing at everything. Can't remember when I had so much fun (laughing wise) with a video game. Will def be getting the next game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm getting through the game atm.... gotta say. Jokes about the sex trade and forced imprisonment are just soooo funny!

What a lighthearted little romp this is!

Shaneus

What the hell? Just got this in my email:
vofLT4j.png

Hopefully they're just moving it and combining all troubleshooting threads into the one area, not just moving that one thread in the hopes of hiding it. FYI that's the primary thread for people (including myself) complaining about performance issues on certain systems (including my own).

So I've been playing through this game thanks to PS Plus. I was super excited to start because I really enjoyed Saints Row 2.

Definitely very disappointed, unfortunately. I have to be careful because the last game I played was The Last of Us - it's so good it kind of ruins other games - but SRTT falls short in many ways for me personally.

First of all, I don't like how outrageously silly it's become. I get that the game is differentiating itself from GTA. And the crazy sandbox is certainly fun at times. But SR2 felt like the sweet spot. There were some pretty crazy gameplay moments, but there were also some more serious moments to ground the game. The less insane moments added more weight to the big moments. In SRTT, it's all so crazy that it kind of becomes tiresome. I actually also enjoyed the open world in SR2 more, and felt that there was more to do - it felt more alive. I also found the story far more engaging in SR2 because it wasn't quite so ridiculous.

Another complaint is the gun play. I don't find the mechanics satisfying at all. Shooting is so loose and arcade-y. Again, that might be the effect of playing this game right after TLOU which has such weighty and satisfying combat.

My other big complaint is homie AI. It's not fun to me at all having to constantly revive my homies. I often find myself thinking I'd rather just let them die so I can finish the job on my own. One of the last missions in particular is brutal. You're required to clear three large sections of enemies, and one of my homies is constantly needing to be revived. He stupidly runs right into the middle of all the gunfire every time. And saving him is getting me killed. SO frustrating!

I really wish I liked the game more. Some of the high-action moments can be fun and several of the diversion activities are kinda cool. But that's about the full extent of my praise for the game. Gah!

GamerSoul

Last week I was bored and stressed so I decided to go around and take some pictures of Steel Port it was pretty fun. lol. My game disc is so bad I was able to walk around with my character being invisible for awhile.

I wanted to add more but the site isn't loading the pics so I could use the right source :l ill probably update later though

Raptomex

So I recently installed this again. This time on Windows 8. I'm running into some sound issues. The cars don't have any sounds, or they're really low. I know the game ran fine on W7 so I'm not sure if this is a W8 issue or just a bug. I've read online some people ran into similar sound issues in the past. Anyone here encounter this or know of a fix?

Shaneus

I can't help you out, but I can tell you that does sound really familiar. I can somewhat recall that there is a fix for it as well, but I have no idea exactly what that is. But I'm pretty sure it's somewhere on the official Saint's Row forums.

God damn, that's a whole lotta vague. Hope it helps!

An-Det

The "Unlockable Pack" says that it "gives access to all unlockable items, upgrades and bonuses that weren't chosen during normal gameplay", but I just started a new game on pc and it says that four choice options were unlocked. Does the pack unlock both options then?

I'm playing this again (on pc this time) in preparation for SR4, and damn is it good to play again, I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

XAL

After a long time of not playing this game, I went back to finish off the DLC and discovered that the game stutters. Badly.

It never used to do this, I've always had everything maxed out on DX10/11 and never had a single stutter. But now every 15 seconds or something the framerate plummets to zero and then shoots back up to 60. I have no idea what's causing it.

I thought it might be the Geforce Experience since it seemed to cause people problems in other games, so I uninstalled it. But the game still stutters.

halp pls

It's basically unplayable.

Tizoc

So I started a new game but am curious about something: How do I do assassination missions? The map doesn't show where they are on the map.
Also should I just focus on main missions and leave everything and do a clean up before the very final mission in the game?

Damian.

Banned
After a long time of not playing this game, I went back to finish off the DLC and discovered that the game stutters. Badly.

It never used to do this, I've always had everything maxed out on DX10/11 and never had a single stutter. But now every 15 seconds or something the framerate plummets to zero and then shoots back up to 60. I have no idea what's causing it.

I thought it might be the Geforce Experience since it seemed to cause people problems in other games, so I uninstalled it. But the game still stutters.

halp pls

It's basically unplayable.

I have had this game for a while, but just started playing it so I can't comment on previous versions performance. I am getting bad stuttering as well at 60fps. While driving the framerate will also dip to the 40's and 50's on max settings. This is with CPU/GPU usage staying low. Anyone know any tweaks to help alleviate this? It's almost unplayable noticing the non-stop judder when turning the camera. This takes the Sleeping Dogs problem to a whole new level.

Win 8 x64
2600k@4.6
GTX 680 SLI

I get the same performance when disabling SLI, one GPU usage goes to ~70-75% while on SLI both hover at around 45%

So I started a new game but am curious about something: How do I do assassination missions? The map doesn't show where they are on the map.
Also should I just focus on main missions and leave everything and do a clean up before the very final mission in the game?

It tells you a general area to go and an objective to do in that area to draw out the target. Like one of the early ones says to go steal a luggage cart from the airport. After you do that the target will show up.

Top Bottom