• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Altman fired as CEO of OpenAI

E-Cat

KkdTveu.jpg

Weird that D'Angelo still remains on the board. And Summers is a self-described Effective Altruist, wonder how that'll play out...?

Last edited:

E-Cat

[Ex-board member Helen Toner] also shared this chilling quote:

"The board’s mission is to ensure that the company creates artificial intelligence that “benefits all of humanity,” and if the company was destroyed, she said, that could be consistent with its mission."

Glad to have this broad far away from having any input on the future of AGI.

Last edited:
This person was given a board seat with the authority to destroy OpenAI (her interpretation):

Let that sink in.

It really looks china is using commie's book. They know they are behind, they are trying to destroy and steal (because they haven't learnt how to create properly).

Though I still believe D'Angelo was also ok with that because he likes coups anyway.

Last edited:

Tams

Is she a chinese spy that wants to sabotage OpenAI? It seems these days there are lot of "those types" trying to stop the development of features in the western world or pushing some ideology to stop companies.

I don't think a spy, just a useful idiot and oblivious asset.

What infuriates me is that many of these high flying individuals spouting this nonsense; write and interview worse than half of this forum.

Wildebeest

Some people are explaining this without "Chinese spies". It seems that Helen Toner is part of the "effective altruism" movement that includes people such as crypto scammer Sam Bankman-Fried while Sam Altman is part of the more established so-called "accelerationist" movement in the tech industry (think move fast and break things). I don't think "effective altruism" is exactly aligned with Elon Musk, but it was promoted by that same vaguely conservative podcast scene as Musk, Rogan, Sam Harris, and so on.

Wildebeest

Bret Taylor is appointed to the board, and he was Musk's nemesis in the Twitter takeover. Supporting the conspiracy that this is some shadow war between Silicon Valley and Elon Musk.

Bret Taylor is appointed to the board, and he was Musk's nemesis in the Twitter takeover. Supporting the conspiracy that this is some shadow war between Silicon Valley and Elon Musk.
Well you should take a look at history of OpenAI and Elon Musk. But if you treat Silicon Valley as its own kingdom, then it all makes sense - it is a war between nobility.

The composition of the board is pretty interesting, to he bonest. Let's see how it allow plays out this week.

Last edited:

we-are-all-gonna-die-scared.gif
Reuters was unable to review a copy of the letter. The staff who wrote the letter did not respond to requests for comment.

Whatever then.

On a separate note

He rose again at the third day
llyj18ov212c1.png

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Is she a chinese spy that wants to sabotage OpenAI? It seems these days there are lot of "those types" trying to stop the development of features in the western world or pushing some ideology to stop companies.
It used to be easy to spot the chinese spy in sciences, it was the only good looking woman.
But the huge problem with Ai tech is that it seems to genuinely attract good looking women.
We're screwed.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Pretty amazing that they had someone like this openly antagonistic to OpenAI sitting on the board. Here's one of her talks:

Looking forward to her next talk on how she attempted to destroy an organisation but got the boot instead.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Pretty amazing that they had someone like this openly antagonistic to OpenAI sitting on the board. Here's one of her talks:

Looking forward to her next talk on how she attempted to destroy an organisation but got the boot instead.

The EA mindset has been raked over the coals the last week, and rightly so.

Loser mentality anyway.

Really hoping we get some more information on the rumored Q* model and its ability to generalize information/facts. At this time, this is potentially the most promising development in the AI field since the introduction of neural nets.

Salz01

Really hoping we get some more information on the rumored Q* model and its ability to generalize information/facts. At this time, this is potentially the most promising development in the AI field since the introduction of neural nets.

Interesting.

Wildebeest

Here's a talk on the speculation that "Q*" has kicked up. It comes down to questions about why chatbots seem oddly stupid compared to what we expected based on older Deepmind game playing experiments like "AlphaGo".

Cory Doctorow writes about the "altruism" vs "acceleration" split and how neither side really represent the little guy.

In short, AGI talk is premature, but that doesn't mean that new big breakthroughs are not going to happen and be very disruptive.

Last edited:

Salz01

Here's a talk on the speculation that "Q*" has kicked up. It comes down to questions about why chatbots seem oddly stupid compared to what we expected based on older Deepmind game playing experiments like "AlphaGo".

Cory Doctorow writes about the "altruism" vs "acceleration" split and how neither side really represent the little guy.

In short, AGI talk is premature, but that doesn't mean that new big breakthroughs are not going to happen and be very disruptive.

Watched this last night. Thanks for sharing. I liked how he explained more about how Ai can train other Ai models. Make this all go faster.

Hudo

Anyone who ever held a TED talk is hard for me to take serious ever again. It's like I immediately lose all past and future respect I had / would've had for that person.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan

Man, for some reason I'm super attracted to her.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone who ever held a TED talk is hard for me to take serious ever again. It's like I immediately lose all past and future respect I had / would've had for that person.
From my experience, people who are talkers are usually full of shit ad dont do much. Everyone in the meeting knows who's a bullshitter and who knows their stuff.

I dont now who this woman is, so I dont know how skilled she really is, but anyone out there who sees or hears people on stage should not assume they are brainers. They are usually good storytellers and motivators which is important for some people (any employee who needs a morale boost, sales people, or investors who like a good show), but for all the times I sit in board room meetings listening to the people who are the stageshow kind of people (often marketing people or execs), not only is much of their info spewed outright BS or wrong (I do finance so I know the real numbers and trends, which includes our department providing the data and they fudge it), but they have no shame continuing the dog and pony show during Q&A. So it's not like they got the info wrong, but you can tell it's not a accident because they will try to prove their view/info is correct by backing it up with more BS reasons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom