• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Bought a Note II today! Rogers is shipping it to me in their next shipment.

Had to resign on a 3-year (Thanks Canadian phone companies!) but I'm getting the Note II for $200 and 6GB data/unlimited text/200 my5 minutes for $57/m so I'm pretty hyped! :)

EDIT: Upgrading from a Galaxy Captivate so it'll be a big jump

Bought a Note II today! Rogers is shipping it to me in their next shipment.

Had to resign on a 3-year (Thanks Canadian phone companies!) but I'm getting the Note II for $200 and 6GB data/unlimited text/200 my5 minutes for $57/m so I'm pretty hyped! :)

EDIT: Upgrading from a Galaxy Captivate so it'll be a big jump

nice. were you using custom roms or were you still on TouchWiz Gingerbread?

nice. were you using custom roms or were you still on TouchWiz Gingerbread?

I used Cyanogenmod on my phone prior (HTC Magic) and it was always such a hassle keeping things smooth and functional so I didn't bother rooting my Captivate. I've just been running LauncherPro so I don't have to deal with the TouchWiz bullshit.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I used Cyanogenmod on my phone prior (HTC Magic) and it was always such a hassle keeping things smooth and functional so I didn't bother rooting my Captivate. I've just been running LauncherPro so I don't have to deal with the TouchWiz bullshit.

So much of the Touchwiz bullshit has nothing to do with the launcher though.

As an aside, has anyone messed with DPI at all? I assume you just have to be rooted to alter the dpi in the build.prop? I know that there are reports that at 240 the Samsung keyboard FCs constantly, and there are some scaling issues with the dialer and a few other things, but the DPI setting on this thing is ridiculously high. There is no need for things to be as big as they are on this phone. I got used to Paranoid Android on my GS3 and am getting desperate to shrink the dpi down a bit.

KillGore

Doesn't work with Google Now

Same here, US version. I did however ask S voice these questions and it told me it wasn't good at singing but she then played me a song she had.

Edit: Does anyone know if I can change the shortcuts on the bottom of the "lock screen"? US version

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Same here, US version. I did however ask S voice these questions and it told me it wasn't good at singing but she then played me a song she had.

Edit: Does anyone know if I can change the shortcuts on the bottom of the "lock screen"? US version

Yes you can. It is under Lockscreen settings.

It is a bit unintuitive but you know that toggle for Shortcuts in the Lock screen options?

You can click on that row for a further sub-menu.

Scalibur

Currently have an iphone 4/S was flipflopping between iPhone 5 or Note 2. Finally decided on the titanium grey note 2. HYPED.

KillGore

Yes you can. It is under Lockscreen settings.

It is a bit unintuitive but you know that toggle for Shortcuts in the Lock screen options?

You can click on that row for a further sub-menu.

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware I could click the "Shortcuts" option, I thought I could only move the "Off/On" option.

The facebook app keeps downloading the FB photos to my phone, but I don't want it to :\ is there a way to delete that? I guess I could always use FB in the browser

adelante

awesome news.. this hopefully means it will be a Note 3.

And look at these queues for buying a Note 2 in singapore:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...ingapura-samsung-galaxy-note-2-a-3943056.html

It was crazy, almost all appointment slots (to collect the phone) were taken up within the hour it was made available for booking online. It's been two weeks and many shops are still out of stock (grey units especially). Managed to find one that was selling the white Note2 so I decided to grab it (pictured here with my Verus flipcase):

Wyrvo.jpg

Fuckin love this phone.

adelante

^^ nice case. Is it available on amazon?

I bought it from a local store, couldn't find a seller on Amazon but there's one at ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item84bdd97e55

Gonna need that wallpaper link adelante

Here you go: Starlight Live Wallpaper

Been using this live wallpaper, doesn't seem to have a drastic impact on battery life, acn get by without a charge for a whole day. Speaking of which, coming from an iPhone, charging this thing via USB connection to a PC is painfully sloOOooooOoOWWWW wtf?? Doing so from a wall socket's much faster.

KillGore

I bought it from a local store, couldn't find a seller on Amazon but there's one at ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item84bdd97e55

Can you fit ATM card/Credit Card in that sleeve? Only one? Thinking about buying a cover that allows me to put credit cards/ATM cards, driver's license and maybe some cash, that way I won't have to be carrying a wallet with me. I know I can do it with this one but I much prefer how yours looks.

adelante

Can you fit ATM card/Credit Card in that sleeve? Only one? Thinking about buying a cover that allows me to put credit cards/ATM cards, driver's license and maybe some cash, that way I won't have to be carrying a wallet with me. I know I can do it with this one but I much prefer how yours looks.
Yup fits one credit card nicely. I was looking to get a case that could replace my wallet but don't really like the look of the ones available. Plus I wanted one that has a hard back, which the wallet-types usually don't.. Glad I came across this

Wow. I was originally going to get the Nexus 4, but now it looks like I can get the Galaxy Note II for $330, out-of-contract, brand new. There's no way I can pass up this deal. :D

It also helps to know that the T-Mobile version has LTE built-in, and that they will likely switch it on sometime next year. It's good to know that there are some future-proof phones out there.

tigerin

Here you go: Starlight Live Wallpaper

Been using this live wallpaper, doesn't seem to have a drastic impact on battery life, acn get by without a charge for a whole day. Speaking of which, coming from an iPhone, charging this thing via USB connection to a PC is painfully sloOOooooOoOWWWW wtf?? Doing so from a wall socket's much faster.

Thanks! reason i'm asking for the amazon link is because i still got unused credits on there. =D

tigerin

Guys, convince me to keep the note 2.

I'm second guessing this and thinking of going back to my galaxy s3. THe weight and size of the s3 are more comfortable to hold and less strain on my wrist.=(

I'm second guessing this and thinking of going back to my galaxy s3. THe weight and size of the s3 are more comfortable to hold and less strain on my wrist.=(

I'd go back. Tried to use the s3 with the draco bumper and it hurt my wrist. Carpal Tunnel not worth it. The S3 size is the max i can go comfortable.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Well, you should stick to what's comfortable with you. Besides the size, what do you like more about the note over the S3?

tigerin

I'd go back. Tried to use the s3 with the draco bumper and it hurt my wrist. Carpal Tunnel not worth it. The S3 size is the max i can go comfortable.

yea, i might go for the nexus 4. even at the galaxy s3 size, it's still kinda big. i think sony xperia tl is the right size with 4.6. too bad sony has been playing catch up in the mobile industry.

tigerin

Well, you should stick to what's comfortable with you. Besides the size, what do you like more about the note over the S3?

the two main things i like about the note 2 are the screen size and the long battery life. also, the home button feel softer to press.

return it.

yea, i might go for the nexus 4. even at the galaxy s3 size, it's still kinda big. i think sony xperia tl is the right size with 4.6. too bad sony has been playing catch up in the mobile industry.

jLRtE.jpg

Have any of you guys tried the GFNII with an MHL cable yet? Does it require the special adapter that the GSIII needs for output to a standard MHL microUSB to HDMI cablje?

Zaptruder

Banned

less strain on your wrist? Goddamn dude, lift some weights and get use to it. A difference of 50 grams or less and it's suddenly a big enough concern to go through the inconvenience of buying/swapping/selling your phone?

less strain on your wrist? Goddamn dude, lift some weights and get use to it. A difference of 50 grams or less and it's suddenly a big enough concern to go through the inconvenience of buying/swapping/selling your phone?

I have some pretty sweet carpel tunnel in my hand/wrist. It's not fun when it becomes an issue. Hopefully this phone won't give me any problems because it's sexy as hell.

mavs

Problem with wrist strain once you get it is that what your wrist needs is rest. Which is basically impossible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow. I was originally going to get the Nexus 4, but now it looks like I can get the Galaxy Note II for $330, out-of-contract, brand new. There's no way I can pass up this deal. :D

How's that?

Radec

I just compare the gn2 and s3 and yeah the S3 feels perfectly fine as a phone. But its still a downgrade.

Top Bottom