• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

adelante

Have any of you guys tried Sketchbook Mobile with the S-Pen?
Sorry for bringing up an old post but I just got around to trying this app and it's fuckin' awesome! Can see this thing replacing my sketchbook completely..far more convenient too. Bulky Silver Surfer approves!
sxSOM.png

KillGore

I'm having some problem with the pen, it sometimes registers a touch or a draw, even though the pen hasn't touched the screen. Exactly this and this, just not as severe as those cases. Is it a pen problem or the phone? hopefully it's just the pen?

Edit: Here's a Note 2 with the same problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppHJIK7JYQ

Edit: Hmm, just did what this comment said

try to press the button on the pen one and twice,,,, turn the air view on and off twice ,, turn off the device,,,,, this issue most likely will go !
memo909090 2 weeks ago

So far it's working fine...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It is a pen problem I think. I read somewhere that if you just drop the pen it will fix it, something about the tip being stuck.

mavs

I'm having some problem with the pen, it sometimes registers a touch or a draw, even though the pen hasn't touched the screen. Exactly and , just not as severe as those cases. Is it a pen problem or the phone? hopefully it's just the pen?

Edit: Here's a Note 2 with the same problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppHJIK7JYQ

xda-dev thread on this

They've got a bunch of workarounds listed there, if it continues get the pen replaced.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Sorry for bringing up an old post but I just got around to trying this app and it's fuckin' awesome! Can see this thing replacing my sketchbook completely..far more convenient too. Bulky Silver Surfer approves!

That's just incredibly awesome...

I'm having some problem with the pen, it sometimes registers a touch or a draw, even though the pen hasn't touched the screen. Exactly this and this, just not as severe as those cases. Is it a pen problem or the phone? hopefully it's just the pen?

I took the button off of my S Pen and slighty turned the potentiometer clock wise. it fixed my problem right up

Wow. I was originally going to get the Nexus 4, but now it looks like I can get the Galaxy Note II for $330, out-of-contract, brand new. There's no way I can pass up this deal. :D

It also helps to know that the T-Mobile version has LTE built-in, and that they will likely switch it on sometime next year. It's good to know that there are some future-proof phones out there.

I'll pay you $300 for one :D

For anyone who cares:

If you got one of those 64 GB Sandisk microSDXC cards like I did, it comes pre-formatted using exFAT. exFAT is not FAT. It is not backwards compatible with FAT32. Stock Android does not support exFAT (and never will, exFAT is patent-encumbered and the Android OS is FOSS). Fortunately, Samsung has implemented exFAT support in GSIII and GNII. So, you don't need to reformat your new microSDXC with FAT32. Just stick it in your phone and go. Unless you need to put a file >4GB in size on it. Then read on.

MTP is now the de-facto protocol for transferring files from PC to phone post-ICS. For whatever reason, MTP does not support >4GB file sizes for transfer directly through a connected phone to the microSD, your transfer will fail and it will say "File size exceeds limit for device" or something similarly cryptic. However, exFAT does support >4GB file sizes. You'll want to pull the microSDXC card out of the phone and stick it in your PC which has a built-in SD card reader or use a USB adapter. Strangely enough, if you use MTP to transfer to the phone's internal memory, it will not fail. So if you really wanted to, you could first copy the large file to internal memory using MTP, and then use a file manager on the phone to copy the file from internal memory to the microSDXC. As you can see, the better option is to just remove the card and copy it directly from the PC to the card.

KillGore

Ugh, Samsung.com (US site) has 99% of the things for the Note 2 sold out, I wanted an orange flip, charging dock and the NFC tiles.

I wonder how the Note 2 smart dock works, I have yet to find a video of it and there are no reviews

For anyone who cares:

If you got one of those 64 GB Sandisk microSDXC cards like I did, it comes pre-formatted using exFAT. exFAT is not FAT. It is not backwards compatible with FAT32. Stock Android does not support exFAT (and never will, exFAT is patent-encumbered and the Android OS is FOSS). Fortunately, Samsung has implemented exFAT support in GSIII and GNII. So, you don't need to reformat your new microSDXC with FAT32. Just stick it in your phone and go. Unless you need to put a file >4GB in size on it. Then read on.

MTP is now the de-facto protocol for transferring files from PC to phone post-ICS. For whatever reason, MTP does not support >4GB file sizes for transfer directly through a connected phone to the microSD, your transfer will fail and it will say "File size exceeds limit for device" or something similarly cryptic. However, exFAT does support >4GB file sizes. You'll want to pull the microSDXC card out of the phone and stick it in your PC which has a built-in SD card reader or use a USB adapter. Strangely enough, if you use MTP to transfer to the phone's internal memory, it will not fail. So if you really wanted to, you could first copy the large file to internal memory using MTP, and then use a file manager on the phone to copy the file from internal memory to the microSDXC. As you can see, the better option is to just remove the card and copy it directly from the PC to the card.

Thanks for this. I always just use the SD card reader on my laptop to transfer stuff over so it's good to hear that's the preferred/simplest way of using the latest SDXC cards. I bought a 64GB one already even though my Note II is still backordered.

Ugh, Samsung.com (US site) has 99% of the things for the Note 2 sold out, I wanted an orange flip, charging dock and the NFC tiles.

I wonder how the Note 2 smart dock works, I have yet to find a video of it and there are no reviews
were any of those things ever in stock? weren't they all preorder only?

Damn you, UPS. You always find a way to piss me off. If I go out of my way be home for a shipment they don't bring it until 8pm. If I figure it'll come after 4pm they end up bringing it at lunch time. Looks like I'm waiting another day provided the wind and rain don't blow my Infonotice™ away before the 2nd attempt tomorrow.

Does anyone else absolutely despise UPS and their annoying late night delivery / signature gangbang?

cochese

Just wanted to chime in and say I got this phone a few days ago. So far it's pretty amazing. The screen size is perfect! I don't think I can go back to smaller sized phones. Still waiting on Sprints update. Can't wait to have true multi-tasking. Get this phone!

Bacchus

Banned
Note 2 > Galaxy s III..I don't have to mess with a stupid screen rotation option just to get landscape mode on Youtube. Thank GOODNESS.

On a side note, more of the flip covers have been listed on Samsung's website, but the only two currently in stock are the marble white and titanium grey. They are $40, but the coupon code posted quite a while ago still works to take fifty percent off. rE155266e

A few other things are in stock as well.. the more advanced S-Pen with the eraser is one of them. I believe it's $20 after the coupon

Blackhead

Redarse
On a side note, more of the flip covers have been listed on Samsung's website, but the only two currently in stock are the marble white and titanium grey. They are $40, but the coupon code posted quite a while ago still works to take fifty percent off. rE155266e

A few other things are in stock as well.. the more advanced S-Pen with the eraser is one of them. I believe it's $20 after the coupon

Does the S-Pen with eraser fit inside the Galaxy Note slot? I find the S-Pens without eraser to be a big turn off and it's a big reason I'm less inclined to get the Samsung tablets with digitizers.

Does the S-Pen with eraser fit inside the Galaxy Note slot? I find the S-Pens without eraser to be a big turn off and it's a big reason I'm less inclined to get the Samsung tablets with digitizers.

I was actually wondering the same thing. Did a google search, found on a thread on XDA that makes it seem like it won't fit, but it's not entirely clear.. hmm

Oyashiro

Trying to debate whether I want one of these or the S3. Both look like great phones. Im just scared that the S3 might be a little bit TOO big for me. I dont even know if it will fit in my pants comfortably.

I've been shopping for a new phone. I've been with Apple for 3 or 4 years so I was leaning towards the 5 until I saw a co-workers Note 2 yesterday. Holy crap it's lovely and the OS seems awesome compared to what I'm used to. I don't know how they hold up over time, but my initial impressions are really good. Screen size on it is great and I had no problem putting in a pocket.

Mudkips

Banned
So my situation is as follows:

AT&T

Voice plan for 3 lines: $70 ($50 +$10 +$10)
1500 text messages on one line: $15
200 text messages and unlimited (truly) 3G data: $20

15% FAN discount.

If I get the N7100 I can get it now for $650 and stay on unlimited 3G with hotspot/tethering/whateverthefuckIwant.

If I get the SGH-i317 I can get it through AT&T for $300 + $36 upgrade fee (wtf?) + terrible, terrible rates for a 4G plan ($50 for 5 GB, the $30 for 3GB plan isn't eligible for my FAN discount).

I can't find the SGH-i317 online anywhere. Would is cost the same $650?

Bottom line is it's going to cost me $30 per month + whatever the cheapest text messaging plan is ($20 per month?) if I get the 5 GB plan and drop the $20 data+text bundle. I barely use text messaging, what's the current rate per text? I could skip the $20 text plan, and then I'd just be at + $30 per month for 4G (with a cap...) and ~$300 less for the phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So my situation is as follows:

AT&T

Voice plan for 3 lines: $70 ($50 +$10 +$10)
1500 text messages on one line: $15
200 text messages and unlimited (truly) 3G data: $20

15% FAN discount.

If I get the N7100 I can get it now for $650 and stay on unlimited 3G with hotspot/tethering/whateverthefuckIwant.

If I get the SGH-i317 I can get it through AT&T for $300 + $36 upgrade fee (wtf?) + terrible, terrible rates for a 4G plan ($50 for 5 GB, the $30 for 3GB plan isn't eligible for my FAN discount).

I can't find the SGH-i317 online anywhere. Would is cost the same $650?

Bottom line is it's going to cost me $30 per month + whatever the cheapest text messaging plan is ($20 per month?) if I get the 5 GB plan and drop the $20 data+text bundle. I barely use text messaging, what's the current rate per text? I could skip the $20 text plan, and then I'd just be at + $30 per month for 4G (with a cap...) and ~$300 less for the phone.

The SGH-i317 is the ATT variant. That just came out this week. As far as I know, you can upgrade to LTE w/o them changing your data plan, because I did.

The SGH-i317M is the Canadian variant, which is just like the ATT version. If you can find that, that might be a loophole, as you can just ask an ATT employee to provision your account for LTE.

Also, I think texts are 5-10 cents/message.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Had a chance to play around with one in a shop the other day. Dat size, dat swiftness. Maybe Santa will be so kind.

tino

Banned
If you guys are bargain hunters, I suggest you make a "galaxy note ii" deal alert in dealcatcher or fatwallet.

There was a one day sales of the unlocked Note 2 for 580. I suspect the deal will come back from time to time.

International Note works on ATT and selected TMo cities.

Mudkips

Banned
The SGH-i317 is the ATT variant. That just came out this week. As far as I know, you can upgrade to LTE w/o them changing your data plan, because I did.

The SGH-i317M is the Canadian variant, which is just like the ATT version. If you can find that, that might be a loophole, as you can just ask an ATT employee to provision your account for LTE.

Also, I think texts are 5-10 cents/message.

My data plan is "MEDIA MAX 200 BUNDLE" and I don't think smartphones are allowed on it.
I got it when I got my Samsung Blackjack and just bought my Nexus One directly from Google and slapped my SIM in.

I don't think there's any way in hell they'll let me on 4G with that existing plan.
Did you have a pre-iPhone data plan or a post-iPhone data plan?

If you guys are bargain hunters, I suggest you make a "galaxy note ii" deal alert in dealcatcher or fatwallet.

There was a one day sales of the unlocked Note 2 for 580. I suspect the deal will come back from time to time.

International Note works on ATT and selected TMo cities.

The international version is limited to 3G on AT&T though, right?

Top Bottom