• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I'll have this phone once I switch to AT&T and wanted to ask a question for those who have one.

Is using TouchWiz necessary in order to use the phones special pen features? The phone sounds amazing but I hate TouchWiz.

Thanks.

Yes, I got one. It's amazing! Should I use a mod or whatever it's called or just use stock OS?

I have had no issues with stock. I like some of the touchwiz features as well. (Direct Call, Turn to Mute, etc).

If you don't plan to use S-Voice, turn off the home-button-double-click short cut. Makes the home button a bit more responsive.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Is there a Japanese keyboard for this that isn't the standard one from Google Play? I was messing with the display model and found the Japanese keyboard to be terrible. It was clunky, unresponsive, and the little characters on the sides of the big characters in the center were incredibly distracting. :-/

Also, is there a good Japanese dictionary app for Android that's anywhere near as comprehensive as this one?

I'll have this phone once I switch to AT&T and wanted to ask a question for those who have one.

Is using TouchWiz necessary in order to use the phones special pen features? The phone sounds amazing but I hate TouchWiz.

Thanks.

I use the Nova Launcher to change the appearance of the menus, but I still have all the S Pen / touchwiz features.

i09CNlN7rFBTW.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Thanks.

Yes, TouchWiz is basically a necessity for this phone. Obviously you can use a different launcher, and using a TouchWiz based Rom will let you keep the good features, but absolutely do not buy this phone under the assumption that it will get good aosp Rom support or that you will keep the spen features in an aosp Rom.

Yes, TouchWiz is basically a necessity for this phone. Obviously you can use a different launcher, and using a TouchWiz based Rom will let you keep the good features, but absolutely do not buy this phone under the assumption that it will get good aosp Rom support or that you will keep the spen features in an aosp Rom.

Cool, I appreciate the information. :)

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Jumping on the GNII bandwagon after Google fucked my N4 order. Sammy can have the extra $300.

I did the same thing. I was ready to drop my contract, but Google had to go and mess up another launch, which led to me ordering a white GNII today.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
love this phone. the siZe is perfect. any tips for a new user? I love that skin the guy above posted. how hard is that to setup?

Not really a skin but a custom launcher. Allows you to customize your home screens and app drawer. Very useful. The three main ones are Apex, Nova and ADW.

RdN

Got this bad boy last Tuesday.

I already had the original Note, and still, this phone is blowing me away.

So fast, multi window is awesome and the improved SPen is great.. Not to mention Jelly Bean, which makes everything better.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I received this phone a day after I ordered it, awesome. It's great so far, this is my first smart phone, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I don't have any issues with anything yet. It seems to be very responsive, great video quality, and fast to navigate.

So, I don't think I'm worried about my battery, but should some sporadic heavy usage kill my battery in less than 18 hours? Like...5 hours of the screen being on with GPS and all that jazz?

So, I don't think I'm worried about my battery, but should some sporadic heavy usage kill my battery in less than 18 hours? Like...5 hours of the screen being on with GPS and all that jazz?
You know that most other people would kill to have a phone that could have 5 hours of screen on, GPS, and take 18 hours to die?

eastmen

Banned
whats a good video converter for putting movies on the phone. I have all my blurays ripped to 8 gigs. I think that's a bit over kill for the phone with limited space. Is there anything good for converting quickly .

What settings would you guys recommend

satori

Ok just placed an order for this phone with t-mobile. With the rebates I am paying 150 for this phone? Why sure why not :p

Question now is what case should I get. Super excited, I am upgrading from the galaxy S1...so its a pretty big upgrade in more ways than one haha

Is it crazy that my main desire for this phone is embedded in the multi tasking stuff >.<?

Well, TBH the stylus stuff isn't THAT useful unless you're an artist who wants to draw on the go. With the exception of taking notes while on a call, which is genius, there isn't all that much I can think of doing with it personally. But the Multi-Window stuff is amazing, I can't wait for that to come to stock Android and people rave about it and we'll all be like, "What? I've had that shit for AGES." :D

k3yring

Got my AT&T version Monday loving it so far. Feels almost perfect in my hands atleast.
Any news on when the AT&T version is getting an update with the multi window features I am kind of missing that.

tsumineko

Is there a Japanese keyboard for this that isn't the standard one from Google Play? I was messing with the display model and found the Japanese keyboard to be terrible. It was clunky, unresponsive, and the little characters on the sides of the big characters in the center were incredibly distracting. :-/

Also, is there a good Japanese dictionary app for Android that's anywhere near as comprehensive as this one?

Apparently Swiftkey is working on a Japanese keyboard, but I use the Google one for now, can't say I have any problems with it. It's definitely better than Simeji.

Japanese dictionaries: JED is good for offline stuff, but if you have an internet connection wwwjdic is the best. Using the pen to write in Kanji for searching is excellent.

JED
wwwjdic
If using wwwjdic, install this too: Kanji Recogniser

Emily Chu

Banned
thinking about saying fuck my galaxy nexus (battery life is cunts if you actually start using the phone 3g or 4G with GPS on) and picking up the verizon version maybe

same plan same 4G unlimited

is it possible ?

if I just pay full price for the phone at the store and switch from a gnex to a Gnote the same day ? and keep the same grandfathered unlimited 4g plan?

I WANT BATTERY LIFE DAMMIT

I'm paying full price for my Verizon GNII. You do keep your unlimited data, as long as you don't change plans. I'm also leaving my Gnex behind for it. I'm looking forward to TouchWiz.
BWOOP! BWOOP!

Emily Chu

Banned
I'm paying full price for my Verizon GNII. You do keep your unlimited data, as long as you don't change plans. I'm also leaving my Gnex behind for it. I'm looking forward to TouchWiz.
BWOOP! BWOOP!

pfft touch wiz, I'm installing a custom rom, probably paranoid android 4.2 day 0

and selling both my gnex and nex7 to subsidize the full price of a Gnote II

and just install the separate apk's to most touch wiz functions.

Emily Chu

Banned
My main concern is that I have a nexus 7... would I still use it with a phone this big?

if I had a 6" phone or lol even a 7" phone I possibly could

"The Note II's massive 3,100 mAh battery lasted 9 hours and 27 minutes on the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous web surfing over 4G LTE)"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^ fuck sakes my gnex 4G web browsing is a fucking joke
like less then an hour or two tops

heres a comparison video of the N7 and N II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrV33Ma2X4

why not just make a 7" bezel less phone ? fuck it

pfft touch wiz, I'm installing a custom rom, probably paranoid android 4.2 day 0

and selling both my gnex and nex7 to subsidize the full price of a Gnote II

and just install the separate apk's to most touch wiz functions.

If you want S-Pen function, you won't just be installing separate APKs.

I'll be keeping the TouchWiz stock ROM, after rooting and uninstalling all of Verizon's bloat, I'll install Nova Launcher or something to make it look like the stock launcher.

Metalmarc

Here Comes the stupid question of this thread

i am considering this phone but,

Can i put flash on this phone without a root? i know it's got jellybean on it and as far as im aware flash support has been removed in jellybean right?

thanks in advance

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Can i put flash on this phone without a root? i know it's got jellybean on it and as far as im aware flash support has been removed in jellybean right?

thanks in advance

Yes:

1. Use Firefox (ha) or Dolphin Browser
2. Find the .apk

thanks in advance

There's actually an app that installs it for you (search install adobe flash) on the playstore). Works just fine on the normal browser too.

satori

Just ordered

41fshW-cQJL._SS400_.jpg

51v0Ne9rlvL._SS400_.jpg

and this for my wife:

41JqPF2ULXL._SS400_.jpg

Impressions when we get the items, super excited lol

Btw the black one is a Zenus Prestige Minimal Diary Wallet Cover Case.

I have used Zenus case in the past and they been great.

I hope Droid DNA sales flop so Verizon will learn a lesson about delaying the Note II just so their branded device launches first.

Yeah yeah I know, wishful thinking. They'll probably sell millions of DNAs over the holiday season.

markot

Banned
Just ordered

41fshW-cQJL._SS400_.jpg

51v0Ne9rlvL._SS400_.jpg

and this for my wife:

41JqPF2ULXL._SS400_.jpg

Impressions when we get the items, super excited lol

Btw the black one is a Zenus Prestige Minimal Diary Wallet Cover Case.

I have used Zenus case in the past and they been great.

Wouldnt it be hard/silly to use that as a phone though with the floppy bit?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is there any more news about Tmobile Multiview updates? I don't want to have to change ROMs, and i don't even know that I will get much use out of the multiview, but I really want to screw around with it.

Top Bottom