• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Toki767

Rogers version might have Exynos and LTE:

canada-sgs3-exynos.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Goog...to-have-both-LTE-and-Exynos-processor_id29989

This is probably a mistake of marketing, but to play devil's advocate, what if it's right? Does it mean that the At&t version would have both, since Rogers and At&t literally have the same devices?

questions

It's always possible that they could put in an LTE modem. Battery life will definitely take a hit though.

Toki767

Is there a Samsung/HTC rivalry that I'm not aware of

Not really a rivalry. Most people try to decide between the the GSIII and HTC One X though. The One X was praised a lot for its design and materials it used while Samsung products always get negative criticism over their glossy plastic look.

Buttons

I really liked the HTC X in white but seeing those jeans stains I think I might pass. I personally really like how the white Galaxy S3 looks and will probably get it for my upgrade. Glad I waited. :D

After AT&T locked down bootloaders on their HTC One X, it seemed like a bad omen for potential HTC customers on other carriers that like to tinker around with their devices. Well, if you were worried that about the HTC EVO 4G LTE receiving similar treatment, it looks like Sprint isn’t imposing the same restrictions as AT&T has. According to AndroidCentral, The LTEvo is currently supported by HTCDev’s bootloader unlock tool, and users (if they so choose) can unlock their devices and get some root all up in’nit.

Only problem, when it comes to HTC’s unlock method, that’s about all you can get. To clarify, the bootloader unlock tool wont give a device “S-Off” functionality. HTC has actually gone through great lengths to ensure that all the “fun stuff” that comes with what I like to call, “full root” — flashing AOSP ROMs, kernels, deleting bloatware, custom recoveries, etc. — cannot be done by traditional methods (flashing zips from recovery for instance), but have to be done using the PC (thanks, Earl!). So, for those hoping to run custom AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod and AOKP or MIUI, you will just have to wait until a full root method can be found and exploited. Considering how development for the HTC One X has been making ground, I’d say those chances are looking pretty good. It’s not much, but it’s a step. The cat and mouse game continues…

High Tech Computer Corporation
Taoyuan City, Taoyuan County, Taiwan

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/11/htc-evo-4g-lte-bootloader-unlocked-root-possible-but-not-much-else/

nib95

Banned
Huge comprehensive One X vs Galaxy S3 comparison. S3 pretty much cleans up across the board.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_htc_one_x-review-759.php

Only thing the One X has it beat is the low light camera quality. Though they still prefer the S3's camera overall. The S3 looks to be the best thing on the market on release. And as an entire package too.

EDIT:

Screen wrap up. So much for the pentile whiners and drama queen's. Pentile negatives are barely noticeable unless you look "extremely close range and carefully" for them.

It's also the one with the better screen: the 4.8" Super AMOLED has superior contrast, viewing angles, sunlight legibility and, thanks to the screen saturation modes, greater flexibility. It does use a PenTile matrix, but it hardly makes any difference at those ppi levels.

Also, battery life is beast. As is audio quality (MP3 included) and video.

Red

Did not realize the SIII came with 50GB of Dropbox storage. That's a big plus for me. Wonder if it's just for the international version.

Cipherr

Huge comprehensive One X vs Galaxy S3 comparison. S3 pretty much cleans up across the board.

Only thing the One X has it beat is the low light camera quality. Though they still prefer the S3's camera overall. The S3 looks to be the best thing on the market on release. And as an entire package too.

EDIT:

Screen wrap up. So much for the pentile whiners and drama queen's. Pentile negatives are barely noticeable unless you look "extremely close range and carefully" for them.

Yeah that battery life test versus the one X is damning. HTC got their asses handed to them on that one, even in freaking web browsing where AMOLED generally sucks because of the white backgrounds.

Eeeeesh. HTC had to hand over the crown pretty damn quickly. Now to get the US version to Anandtech and get the full on breakdown.

EDIT:

Going by the gsm article, other than aesthetics, SGS3 > HOX in almost every area lol.

CPU/GPU performance

Storage options/expandability (upto 128GB vs. 32GB)

Removable battery

Better camera

Better audio quality (Wolfson DAC)

Better video capture

Better battery life

Better loudspeaker performance

Better Gorilla Glass (v2 vs v1)

Better display (contrast ratio and sunlight legibility)

Better software features (smart stay and direct call)

50GB vs. 25GB Dropbox

Sagitario

EDIT:

Well, I guess that's it. SOLD! :(

sun-drop

I knew sammy would crush it in the battery tests... The very earliest offical wording from them that they where even starting on the phone was all about battery life.... And i think that's the basis for all the nature PR bullshit.

But yeh. Nice going Samsung.... Nonly hearts broken here are htc's

Casp0r

Banned
Uh, better build quality/design and better screen?

You can moan all you like about that 'shiny plastic body' but practically 90% of smartphones I've seen in the real world have cases.

Build quality counts for nothing when you're just going to throw it into a plastic shell anyway.

You can moan all you like about that 'shiny plastic body' but practically 90% of smartphones I've seen in the real world have cases.

Build quality counts for nothing when you're just going to throw it into a plastic shell anyway.
I don't put cases on my phones.

Toki767

Something I hadn't realized until I read that comparison is that the One X uses the original gorilla glass while the GS3 uses gorilla glass 2.

nib95

Banned
Uh, better build quality/design and better screen?

Only, the screen isn't better at all. Unless you go by white brightness or the insignificant detail bump (near unnoticeable except under close inspection). On the flip side, the S3's screen has better black levels, contrast, colour accuracy, viewing angles and sunlight viewing, oh and it's a teeny bit bigger too (at virtually no physical handset size difference).

Reminds me of the LCD vs Plasma debate. And I go plasma every time.

P.S, The S3's body is polycarbonate, not plastic. I'm willing to guess it is more durable than the One X as well. But who knows.

antipod

white One X + Blue Jeans... one more for the good guys.

YTJLf.jpg

I've had my One X in my jeans pockets almost every day since I bought it and except from one pair of new jeans (after having been washed twice, and nothing at all looking like that picture, just a slight blue tone) there hasn't been any blue stains on it at all.

And those blue stains came off with saliva.

Top Bottom