• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

nib95

Banned
so why hasn't a big deal been made about the GS3 going back to a Wolfson for audio? has nobody used Voodoo Sound on their GS1? that shit is AMAZING!

Holy fuck yes!!! Sold! This was the main thing I was waiting for to confirm my choice. But since camera has to be at least better than the S2, I think my choice for the S3 is finally settled.

Speed: Best in class.

Camera: Unknown quality but new sensor and simultaneous video and photo recording / taking. Plus 3.3 shots a second and best shot.

Front camera: HD / 1.9mp.

Screen: Pentile but still HD and AMOLED (amazing black and contrast).

Software: Android with tweaks and some great custom software additions. Changeable.

Battery: Unknown but 2100mAh, removable, plus super efficient screen and processor bode well.

GPU: Best in class or near abouts.

Storage: 64GB plus 64GB micro SD.

MP3: Wolfsan DAC so chances are its solid!

Appearance: Front looks nice, but rear looks meh.

Build: Polycarbonate and likely more durable and drop proof than any hero phone out there.

So yea, solid phone all round.

Nilaul

Honeslty when I first saw the teaser image I thought I am going to see something completely awesome, a phone shaped like a pebble using the new curved LCD technology.

Gattsu25

Banned
Honeslty when I first saw the teaser image I thought I am going to see something completely awesome, a phone shaped like a pebble using the new curved LCD technology.
Instead you merely got a solid upgrade over an already impressive phone.
Holy fuck yes!!! Sold! This was the main thing I was waiting for to confirm my choice. But since camera has to be at least better than the S2, I think my choice for the S3 is finally settled.

Camera: Unknown quality but new sensor and simultaneous video and photo recording / taking. Plus 3.3 shots a second and best shot.

Software: Android with tweaks and some great custom software additions. Changeable.

Battery: Unknown but 2100mAh, removable, plus super efficient screen and processor bode well.

Build: Polycarbonate and likely more durable and drop proof than any hero phone out there.

:(

I want it, now

Xzior

Speaking of...how good is the media player on the Galaxy S branded phones? is it a stock media player or custom?

More importantly, is it any good as a media organizer and player and if not what is better out there?

I think it's the stock media player on the SGS2, I use PowerAMP as my default MP3-player. I like look, layout and the widget and lockscreen controls are nice. Link to PowerAMP homepage with list of features: http://powerampapp.com/features/.

I don't watch videos on my phone, so I just use the stock player.

Nilaul

stonej.jpg

Aint that thing sexy? :p

nib95

Banned
Also, just dawned on me. Blatantly third parties will make different rear covers (it comes straight off for the battery) that will solve the ugly rear issue. Easy solution tbh. Bet some Chinese manufacturers are already on it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

nice sales pitch, it covers what i was thinking. ive taken the one x out of the running personally but the LG optimus still has a chance to prove itself before june

tino

Banned
Also, just dawned on me. Blatantly third parties will make different rear covers (it comes straight off for the battery) that will solve the ugly rear issue. Easy solution tbh. Bet some Chinese manufacturers are already on it.

ebay search Galaxy Not back cover, or Galaxy Note metal cover. There are a million options.

rozay

Banned
Why would swapping one plastic/polycarbonate rear cover with another affect your signal or NFC? Does the back cover have any circuitry or antennae in it?
specifically the metal ones. They look great but it's not worth the serious drop in antenna strength.

Bootleg back covers won't solve how plain and cheap the phone looks from the back, though another material (matte) might go a long way. Shame it won't match the front of the phone.

nib95

Banned
specifically the metal ones. They look great but it's not worth the serious drop in antenna strength.

Bootleg back covers won't solve how plain and cheap the phone looks from the back, though another material (matte) might go a long way. Shame it won't match the front of the phone.

Yea, I'm not interested in a metal cover to be honest. Perhaps a high quality matte, rubber textured or carbon style one for me. Or just the official one with a tiny bit more design on it. Chances are I won't even change the official one, mainly because I actually think it looks ok, and my hand will be covering it most of the time, but I hope some high quality one's get released anyway. Variety can't hurt. But I wouldn't want to lose GPS.

EDIT: Weird, apparently some metal cases don't affect signal or GPS at all.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1462884

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm thinking that the reason why I don't like the back of this phone is because of the huge wasted space from the Samsung logo to all the way to the bottom:

jbdFTRXxJvcHep.jpg

sun-drop

i think the white looks fine ... front and rear. the pebble blue only looks off to me because of from photo's it looks very fake/plastic looking..

i gotta see them both in person to see if the dark color looks ok, and if the white is actually more fake shiny than photo's let on ...

sun-drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT0gO_wNOhA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Check the end of this video... They go through "buddy share".. One of the new camera modes.

Basically.. You and say 2 mates go to a party. You take four shots... Yr mate takes five... Yr other matls take none.... You all leave with nine pics in yr gallery on yr respective s3's

fucking cool.

Smart stay... S-beam. Buddy cam.... Seriously sammy are putting some awesome features in this thing..

The s voice demo in this clip is great too.... All he asks the phone is "do i need my umbrella today"

so why hasn't a big deal been made about the GS3 going back to a Wolfson for audio? has nobody used Voodoo Sound on their GS1? that shit is AMAZING!
Awesome. I was worried about that and it made the decision between the GS3 and the EVO LTE 4G even harder. That pretty much seals the deal for me when I can upgrade in September though.

btkadams

Check the end of this video... They go through "buddy share".. One of the new camera modes.

Basically.. You and say 2 mates go to a party. You take four shots... Yr mate takes five... Yr other matls take none.... You all leave with nine pics in yr gallery on yr respective s3's

fucking cool.

Smart stay... S-beam. Buddy cam.... Seriously sammy are putting some awesome features in this thing..

The s voice demo in this clip is great too.... All he asks the phone is "do i need my umbrella today"

that's a really rad feature! it's a shame it requires you and your friends to all have s3's though (judging by your post; i can't watch the vid at work).

that should be in more phones. i'd love to have that with mine.

gwarm01

What are the chances of this coming out in time for me to take advantage of Verizon's double data offer? That expires May 29th or so, and I'd love to get twice as much data for the price considering LTE is faster than my home DSL.

snacknuts

we all knew her

fucking cool.

That's a nice feature. Like an automagic version of the Pool Party app that Google bought and then shut down last year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What are the chances of this coming out in time for me to take advantage of Verizon's double data offer? That expires May 29th or so, and I'd love to get twice as much data for the price considering LTE is faster than my home DSL.

I thought Samsung already came out and said June for the US? Am I wrong on this!?!?!

Ashhong

Can't you get that offer with a different phone, and then exchange the phone for another within 30 days? Do that and pray you can get the S3 by June 29.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Well there you go:

If you live north of the 49th parallel, you're no doubt frustrated that Samsung teased a summer launch for the Galaxy S III in North America but made no initial mention of its Canadian plans. Don't fret, as virtually every Canadian carrier and its mother has now pledged to carry the giant Android 4.0 smartphone while you're on your summer vacation -- the first carrier commitments in North America that we've seen. Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin Mobile and Wind Mobile have all stepped up as national providers, while regional carriers such as SaskTel and Videotron have also signed on. The Galaxy S III is a special milestone for Virgin, as it's the first 4G LTE phone on the Bell-run budget network. We're still waiting for Mobilicity and other cellular services to hop on the Galaxy S III bandwagon, and details like pricing and exact ship dates are still elusive, but odds are that Canucks will have a wide choice of carriers when the 4.8-inch flagship hits stores. Update: Sure enough, Mobilicity is also onboard, which along with Wind Mobile makes it pretty clear that T-Mobile-friendly AWS frequencies are baked in.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/07/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-canadian-carriers/
We've won Canada, we've won!!!

The promo ends early june...the 4th I believe.

Id bet large sums of money that the date the promo ends is exactly due to the pending release of this phone.

AKA: Remember what happened when the iphone came?

Can't you get that offer with a different phone, and then exchange the phone for another within 30 days? Do that and pray you can get the S3 by June 29.

14 days + restcoking fee.

rozay

Banned
Wind? Weird, none of the specs I've seen say the S3 supports AWS...
it'll probably be the same variant that gets released on t-mobile in the USA.

I really wonder why this isn't using a pentaband 3G radio though, I'd assume distribution and manufacturing a single model would be cheaper than multiple, especially since they are capable of using them (galaxy nexus)

TimeKillr

Someone clarify this for me.

So there will be 2 versions of the Galaxy S3 (more or less): a 3G version and an LTE version.

The 3G version is the one with the Samsung Exynos quad-core CPU and the ARM Mali400MP GPU, while the LTE version uses the Qualcomm dual-core Snapdragon MSM8960 and the Adreno 225 GPU.

A friend of mine who is a big Android follower told me that the Qualcomm CPUs and GPUs are complete shit, but that since they are the only manufacturer of LTE radios they also force manufacturers to use their CPU and GPU solutions in phones that use their LTE radios.

I'm in Canada. Let's say I go to Rogers, which will probably have the LTE version of the phone (I don't know why any carrier would have the 3G version, except maybe Bell since they don't have an LTE network), I'm screwed into the shitty dual-core processor and slow GPU?

In the event of that happening, my guess is it would still be beneficial to have a Galaxy Nexus...

zedge

Someone clarify this for me.

So there will be 2 versions of the Galaxy S3 (more or less): a 3G version and an LTE version.

The 3G version is the one with the Samsung Exynos quad-core CPU and the ARM Mali400MP GPU, while the LTE version uses the Qualcomm dual-core Snapdragon MSM8960 and the Adreno 225 GPU.

A friend of mine who is a big Android follower told me that the Qualcomm CPUs and GPUs are complete shit, but that since they are the only manufacturer of LTE radios they also force manufacturers to use their CPU and GPU solutions in phones that use their LTE radios.

I'm in Canada. Let's say I go to Rogers, which will probably have the LTE version of the phone (I don't know why any carrier would have the 3G version, except maybe Bell since they don't have an LTE network), I'm screwed into the shitty dual-core processor and slow GPU?

In the event of that happening, my guess is it would still be beneficial to have a Galaxy Nexus...
Bell has an lte network. Pretty sure it was around before robbers too. Out west anyway.

Top Bottom