• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Cipherr

Either you have a faulty 4S or you're just weird; the 4S is still widely held as having one of the best screens on the market.

Either way, have fun with OLED's whites! :)

And have fun with LCD blacks "dark greys". I find it odd that you pushed color reproduction as the most important aspect of a screen just a few posts ago, then when Nibs says bad blacks ruin a screen for him, you scream hyperbole. I suppose cherry picking an aspect or two and calling on it being the absolute hamstring of screen tech is fine when you do it, but if someone else does it, they aren't being reasonable or have a faulty device, cmon now.

EDIT: Urgh at LCD blacks.

display08.jpg

Terrible, and the sad thing is the OneX has one of the best black levels of LCD's on the market period right now:

46086.png

It just gets progressively worse for other phones from there. And the OneX blacks are still greyish. Scust.

longdi

Banned
Honestly though, the 4S's black levels are appalling and really do ruin the viewing experience overall. No idea if the One X's fares better (never used it).

no hyperbole, One X of the best mobile display out there today. sure you wont get oled black blacks but you wont also suffer from oled crushed blacks.

nib95

Banned
Maybe someone can clarify something else. Can you even have accurate colour reproduction with poor black levels and/or contrast? I thought part of the make up of great colour reproduction was showing the accurate range from darkest to brightest in any colour.

How could a display with poor black levels or contrast achieve this accurately?

colorbands.png

kehs

Banned
Maybe someone can clarify something else. Can you even have accurate colour reproduction with poor black levels and/or contrast? I thought part of the make up of great colour reproduction was showing the accurate range from darkest to brightest in any colour.

How could a display with poor black levels or contrast achieve this accurately?

colorbands.png

Black/ white are considered part of luminosity rather than color accuracy or typical color spaces.

Typically when you're talking about color accuracy and gamuts luminosity doesn't get taken into account sine you're looking at a 2d version of the color gamut.

Luminosity and white points take you into the third dimension for color spaces. Warm, cool, and Kelvin. Its so dependent on ambient lighting that I can't help but smirk when people talk about white points and accuracy on mobile devices that don't have consistent lighting.

nib95

Banned
no hyperbole, One X of the best mobile display out there today. sure you wont get oled black blacks but you wont also suffer from oled crushed blacks.

I wouldn't judge the S3's shadow detail or black crush on it's default "Dynamic" mode preset. Dynamic mode on most displays or TV's have similar aggressive blacks/colours.

Black/ white are considered part of luminosity rather than color accuracy or typical color spaces.

Typically when you're talking about color accuracy and gamuts luminosity doesn't get taken into account sine you're looking at a 2d version of the color gamut.

Luminosity and white points take you into the third dimension for color spaces. Warm, cool, and Kelvin. Its so dependent on ambient lighting that I can't help but smirk when people talk about white points and accuracy on mobile devices that don't have consistent lighting.

Going to pretend I fully understand your post lol. But appreciate the explanation.

tokkun

Going by the gsm article, other than aesthetics, SGS3 > HOX in almost every area lol.

Better camera

The GSMArena review stats that the GS3 is marginally better in well-lit shots. Here is what it says about low-light shots:

Things get vastly different in low light, when the bright F/2.0 optics of One X count big time. In such conditions the HTC flagship crushes its opponent, producing images with far less noise and much better contrast.

kehs

Banned
I wouldn't judge the S3's shadow detail or black crush on it's default "Dynamic" mode preset. Dynamic mode on most displays or TV's have similar aggressive blacks/colours.

Going to pretend I fully understand your post lol. But appreciate the explanation.

Yea, lol I deal with this stuff too often, that I grate my teeth when people ask me to make something "blue....you know....a nice blue".

Cipherr

The GSMArena review stats that the GS3 is marginally better in well-lit shots. Here is what it says about low-light shots:

Yeah the two phones trade advantages in the stills, but thats not the only thing the camera does, in that same review the S3 blows the OneX up in video recording.

Video quality

We were pleased with the video capture on the HTC One X. But the Galaxy S III is just too good to compete with - the resolved detail in the Galaxy S III videos is incredible and they are very smooth with accurate colors.

There's also the bitrate to take into account. The HTC One X videos come out with a relatively low bitrate of about 10 Mbps, while the Galaxy S III clips however around the 17 Mbps mark. Both devices offer stereo sound recording during capture. Below we've lined up 720p video samples with each of the devices.

Overall, it's hard to see beyond the Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III for the winner in the video recording category. The One X produces decent clips, but those are nowhere near the S III standard.

Some people want the best, others just want the best looking... And there's nothing wrong with that.

This is a good way to put it TBH. When I go down a list to try and come away with the best overall device, IMO the S3 takes that pretty easily. It would be different if the miniscule differences in screen tech made one of them unusable, but its not even close to that dramatic.

nib95

Banned
Pre-ordering two of these bad boys tomorrow. One for me and one for my brother in law. Not sure whether to keep my 4S as well or not. Could do with the £550 cash (64GB version) but then again might be useful if I do any more iPhone application design in future. Hmmm...

Cipherr

Absolute domination. The S3 even beat the OneX in web browsing with those white backgrounds that are so hard on AMOLED screens battery drain.

Another area where the screens differ is sunlight legibility - the HTC One X is very good for an LCD and the excellent brightness contributes to that, but the non-reflectivity of the AMOLED screen gives the Samsung Galaxy S III the edge. In fact, the Galaxy S III emerges from our tests as the best outdoor performer we have seen to date.

This is good to know, not all that surprising but again the S3 has the better display in sunlight/outdoors.

Kyoufu

I made up my mind. Buying this on release. Have no idea which colour to go for though. They both look nice. Might just go for a Pebble Blue.

Gattsu25

Banned
Okay, I'm following a bit of a trail here and am slowly trying to get up to speed on this stuff.

How does the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (dual core processor) compare with the "Quad core next generation Exynos processor" that is in the non-4G version of the device?

The little that I could find appear to indicate that they might be comparable in power? http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii-s4-dualcore-beats-exynos-in-gpu-testing-14228095/

nib95

Banned
Just been told Vodafone won't be stocking the 64GB version in the UK, which is a shame. In any case, 32GB + 64GB memory card for me. Still plenty, but less than I'd have liked!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Japanese version has Snapdragon S4:

gsmarena_001.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the summer lineup of the Japanese carrier NTT Docomo includes the high-profile Samsung Galaxy S III. What caught our eye, however, is that the Japanese version makes use of a dual-core Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 1.5GHz processor (MSM8960) much like the LTE-equipped HTC One X for AT&T US and the One XL.

Unfortunately, the change in chipset has brought about a change in thickness as well. The new model is 9mm thick instead of 8.6mm. It's not a big deal, but it's the sub-9mm thickness that sets apart (among other things) the latest batch of high end smartphones such as the international S III, the HTC One X, or the Optimus 4X HD.
The other specs of the Samsung flagship remain the same - the 4.8-inch HD AMOLED screen, the 32GB storage, the 2100mAh battery and even the color options - Pebble blue and Marble white.
While the news about a Japanese-only model might not be that exciting, it allows us a sneak peak of what Samsung is preparing for the North American market, where LTE connectivity is a must for a high-end smartphone. So far Samsung has not revealed detailed specs for a US model, so we've been in the dark as to what to expect on that front even though recent evidence suggested Verizon's Galaxy S III will come with the same chipset.
Fear not, our latest benchmarks on the US-spec'd One X show that the dual-core Snapdragon is a nice match for the quad-core Exynos.

http://www.gsmarena.com/ntt_docomo_announcerd_a_dualcore_samsung_sc06d_galaxy_s_iii-news-4257.php

Top Bottom