• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Zaptruder

Banned
One of the most idiotic posts I've ever read. Consumer base that demands 'user addressable removable media batteries'? On what planet is that, dare I ask? Certainly not this one. It's ok if you acknowledge the fact that what YOU personally want is not what the 'consumer base' wants. The past few years has made it explicitly clear, time and time again, that most people couldn't give 2 shits about what you just mentioned. It's why almost all flagship, highest-end phones of the major players DON'T have those things- even if they once did. That argument may have worked in 2007, but now it's just down right stupidity.

And somehow, this 'flawed and fragile' design is the most successful phone in history- oh wait, 2 generations of phones actually. Maybe it's your horrible lack of objectivity that's flawed, and your inability to see beyond your own personal, niche desires. With all due respect if you came out of whatever cave you lived in you'd realize your perception of consumer demands (which I guess is limited to tech blogs) is way off base.

I think removable battery/expandable memory is a bigger issue than you make it out to be... not a majority issue, but certainly enough to keep a sizeable proportion of people away from a product - like the iPhones.

Certainly I'd think that more people would be drawn to those features (done right) then would be pushed away by those features (only the most die hard loyalists).

I mean putting it another way; if the iPhone was available in 2 flavours - as is and with those things... I just couldn't see the as is version winning out over the expandable version.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hate this shit so hard.
Needs to be full 1280 on the DISPLAY not the touch screen.
And then it needs to be 1920x1080, not 1280x720.

Why on earth would you need to display with a resolution so high that you'd need to hold it closer to your face then you can properly focus on it??

Zeppu

on my ics tablet, just like honeycomb before it, the touch buttons are never removed completely. When watching a movie they turn into dots, but that space still isnt usable. Not sure about on ICS, but I know on Honeycomb this wasn't something that was available for app developers to change. I also know there are some hacks out there for ICS, as well as some custom-compiled roms to hide the buttons so I'm guessing it isn't simple on ICS either

That's cause no tablet is really 16:9 and the bottom space isn't required for playing most movies.

sangreal

That's cause no tablet is really 16:9 and the bottom space isn't required for playing most movies.

The point is that the space isn't available regardless. For movies, or other activities. Most movies are not 16:9 either. Someone asked if the status bar could be hidden and that real estate used for content and I believe the answer is no (contrary to other posts in the thread)

Zeppu

The point is that the space isn't available regardless. For movies, or other activities. Most movies are not 16:9 either. Someone asked if the status bar could be hidden and that real estate used for content and I believe the answer is no (contrary to other posts in the thread)

xhmZnl.png
eC3lul.png

JonnyBrad

You are flat out wrong. On a 16/9 phone screen it can. Look up videos of a gnexus playing a video.

for eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhjjEUMc5o

edit: beaten.

simtmb

I actually can't see myself even contemplating a purchase of this. I bought the S2 quite awhile back and seriously, i don't want any more in a phone xD

Gonna be a beast for sure though.

f0lken

It would be awesome that they hid automatically when you are using an app, and with a swipe up they show up, anyway I'm lucky that my Galaxy Note has physical buttons so I can use that gorgeous 1280x800 screen at full capability on ICS =)

cajunator

Banned
Looks good.
My Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket has been an absolutely perfect phone.
any improvements to the formula is icing on the cake.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You are wrong.

twofold

Why are so many people looking to replace their Nexus and S2 phones already? Aren't they both less than a year old? I don't understand.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Definatly looking forward to this. My contract expires in 4 months, and I need a new phone. I'm getting for either this or the HTC One X.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
continued pressure from a 2 year old flawed and fragile design or continued pressure from a 2 year old child's toy inspired design? i hope they feel continued pressure from a consumer base that wants user addressable removable media and batteries.

When the three best-selling handsets have none of those things, it's difficult to take seriously the idea that there's 'continued pressure' from a userbase that wants them.

Why are so many people looking to replace their Nexus and S2 phones already? Aren't they both less than a year old? I don't understand.

I broke out of being in shitty contracts a year ago just before getting the GS2, contract free. Since then I just put a few quid away each month waiting for the next beauty to come along.

So soon I'm going to sell this, and get the GS3 day 1, still contract free, and not be out of pocket at all. Happy days.

saunderez

on my ics tablet, just like honeycomb before it, the touch buttons are never removed completely.

On my TouchPad running CM9 using MX Player the touch buttons are removed and video fills the entire display. Dice Player does the dots thing but MX Player can hide them entirely.

So much disinformation and silliness in this thread.

spoilers

1280x720 super amoled hd plus screen (RGB stripe, not pentile)
Disappointing SoC (quad core A9, 400 MHz Mali)
a gig of whatever and 4g and the usual stuff

I like Sense...but yeah battery life does suck. HTC phones generally have 2-4 less battery life than the competition...

Desire HD in particular was just woeful...barely got 8-9 hours out of a charge before it dipped into yellow/orange.

i don't think people truly realized just how bad Sense was until the launch of the T-Mobile Galaxy SII and HTC Amaze whoch ran the same SoC, but the Amaze had worse responsiveness, performance and battery life.

Zeppu

Same reason many people upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S and will upgrade to the new iPhone, I presume.

n0n44m

Love my S2 even more since it got ICS (just get Apex launcher + Chrome Beta and enjoy) ...

since I mostly use it like a tablet I wouldn't mind the extra resolution :p ... but the S4 should be out when my contract ends next year ;)

I still want removable battery + SD card slot btw ... 32 gig of Class 10 is only €30 nowadays

Cipherr

Love my S2 even more since it got ICS (just get Apex launcher + Chrome Beta and enjoy) ...

since I mostly use it like a tablet I wouldn't mind the extra resolution :p ... but the S4 should be out when my contract ends next year ;)

I still want removable battery + SD card slot btw ... 32 gig of Class 10 is only €30 nowadays

Indeed. I don't mind the manufacturers making larger capacity storage phones, but I do want expandable memory, and removable battery options are good also. Very glad that the One X has a variant with these two options, and I'm expecting the same from the S3.

I don't think anyone does it out of necessity, its more of an "I want that" sort of thing.

kinggroin

Banned
You know, Samsung really does bring this shit on themselves (the trade dress lawsuits and such).

Assuming that image is legit.

Edit: OK, so hopefully they think a bit outside the box on the design and give us something a little different.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Nothing really surprising there. I just wonder what kind of gimmicks the hardware/software will bring.

Bullza2o

My first smartphone was a WP7 Samsung Focus a year ago, and my contract is expiring in 6 months. I'm contemplating whether to get WP8 or Galaxy SIII.

And no, not iPhone.

everytime i wait for a phone a new one gets announced and i wait for that. it's really an endless cycle. Doubt GSIII will come to Sprint any time soon. probably will just get the One X maybe. but i'll wait and see.

SimleuqiR

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/4/25/2975835/samsung-14gz-exynos-4-quad-processor-next-galaxy

Already in production, the Exynos 4 Quad is scheduled to be adopted first into Samsung’s next Galaxy smartphone that will officially be announced in May. Samsung’s Exynos 4 Quad is also sampling to other major handset makers.

The Exynos 4 Quad will be pin-to-pin compatible with the Exynos 4 Dual, which Samsung believes will make it easier for manufacturers to make the switch on upcoming phones. It will be capable of full 30fps 1080p video playback and recording, includes an interface for HDMI 1.4 and also an embedded image signal processor interface. Samsung claims the chip will offer double the processor power of its 45nm predecessor while drawing 20 percent less power

Top Bottom