• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Cipherr

everytime i wait for a phone a new one gets announced and i wait for that. it's really an endless cycle. Doubt GSIII will come to Sprint any time soon. probably will just get the One X maybe. but i'll wait and see.

10 bucks says if you commit and buy a One X before the announcement, AT the announcement Sprint will be revealed to get the phone day 1...

Oh, and the phone will end up being some amazing superphone noone expected, and all the leaks were decoys just to throw us off. And....and guys, guys.... listen....

Samsung would announce the retirement of Touchwiz and adopt Vanilla Android starting with the S3.

Buy a OneX man, do it for the children.

so, is touchwiz as bad as they say?

Touchwiz hasnt been bad since before the S2. The fantastic job they did with it is one of the major reasons the S2 was so successful. That being said, its still not vanilla Android. Some folks just want Vanilla Android, and always will.

everytime i wait for a phone a new one gets announced and i wait for that. it's really an endless cycle. Doubt GSIII will come to Sprint any time soon. probably will just get the One X maybe. but i'll wait and see.

you have to just decide on what generation you want and then jump in with the device that most fits your needs and wants.

sun-drop

so, is touchwiz as bad as they say?

nothing wrong with it at all. and besides .... install nova launcher on top ..and you'll get to keep all those media sharing sammy apps and other custom stuff you'll loose if you flash CM.

imo CM lost relevance ages ago ... sure it's great on a smartphone that struggles to preform with it's stock OS. but S2 has been a flyer since day one. hell the s2 handles ICS perfectly since the stock LP3 firmware .... i think a quad core s3 will have no issues ..

Cipherr

nothing wrong with it at all. and besides .... install nova launcher on top ..and you'll get to keep all those media sharing sammy apps and other custom stuff you'll loose if you flash CM.

imo CM lost relevance ages ago ... sure it's great on a smartphone that struggles to preform with it's stock OS. but S2 has been a flyer since day one. hell the s2 handles ICS perfectly since the stock LP3 firmware .... i think a quad core s3 will have no issues ..

For the bolded, Im slowly starting to feel the same way. Especially with these HW Manus moving to ICS builds. Less and less is the Sense and TW starting to truly truly bother me, and they are no longer hindering the performance of the phones. Im becoming pretty satisfied with just nabbing a launcher and customizing the look rather than going full on hack crazy with my phones.

Its taken a good long while, but IMO its pretty much there now. We will have to see what LG and Moto do with their skins I guess. But ICS TW and ICS Sense look great ATM. Nothing on either of them that would push me to gutting my phone just to get rid of them

markot

Banned
My only real problem with touch wiz is that the home screens don't do landscape if you hold the phone side ways.

10 bucks says if you commit and buy a One X before the announcement, AT the announcement Sprint will be revealed to get the phone day 1...

Oh, and the phone will end up being some amazing superphone noone expected, and all the leaks were decoys just to throw us off. And....and guys, guys.... listen....

Samsung would announce the retirement of Touchwiz and adopt Vanilla Android starting with the S3.

Buy a OneX man, do it for the children.

NO. must not waste my upgrade on it!!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I agree with all the "must have a removable battery" comments. It's the best thing about not owning an Iphone - I can go two days of extremely heavy usage without ever needing to recharge with the two backup batteries I have.

I got the HTC Sensation XE when it launched, I was holding off for the Galaxy S III just to see, but I kind already knew i'd be getting the One X.. that thing is a beast of a phone, theres nothing else like it. I will wait until the proper unveling of the SIII before I properly decided but it will need to make a pretty damn good impression on me to change my mind.

sun-drop

For the bolded, Im slowly starting to feel the same way. Especially with these HW Manus moving to ICS builds. Less and less is the Sense and TW starting to truly truly bother me, and they are no longer hindering the performance of the phones. Im becoming pretty satisfied with just nabbing a launcher and customizing the look rather than going full on hack crazy with my phones.

Its taken a good long while, but IMO its pretty much there now. We will have to see what LG and Moto do with their skins I guess. But ICS TW and ICS Sense look great ATM. Nothing on either of them that would push me to gutting my phone just to get rid of them

yeh ... i mean CM is great when in absence of any available official ICS. just for something like the S2 ..which samsung have been pretty freaking awesome in regular leaked unofficial roms ...CM holds no attraction for me.

it's great onm my galaxy tab 10.1 tho ..as there's still no sign of ICS from sammy for that, even tho they've hinted at this month ... but even then there are so many niggley bugs and missing features due to lack of driver support ... seems it never really comes 'right' untill an offical rom hits from the manufacturer ... and then ..well ...you might as well slap nova on that and be done with it.

aznpxdd

I got the HTC Sensation XE when it launched, I was holding off for the Galaxy S III just to see, but I kind already knew i'd be getting the One X.. that thing is a beast of a phone, theres nothing else like it. I will wait until the proper unveling of the SIII before I properly decided but it will need to make a pretty damn good impression on me to change my mind.

Explain?

LeleSocho

Banned
SWAG:

galaxy-s3-benchmark1-650x577.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/2...chmark-tops-all-devices-and-lists-full-specs/

dat 200/1200 megapixel camera

:lol

Emily Chu

Banned
Has anyone had hands on time with a quad core phone ?

battery life must be a friggin joke right ?

this concerns me

Gnex user here bat life is decent with a few tweaks underclocking to 700mhz and undervolting but its no where near my old Droid X...

Cheebo

Banned
And how many of them run iOS?

All 3? I don't see how that is relevant. He said he didnt know there was any phones on the market without those 3 features which is almost unbelievable to be unaware of when the top 3 selling phones don't have those features.

LeleSocho

Banned

this concerns me

Gnex user here bat life is decent with a few tweaks underclocking to 700mhz and undervolting but its no where near my old Droid X...

As far as i know should be the opposite, more cores=better power management also it's built on 32nm which IIRC the S2 doesn't (45nm).

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

this concerns me

I am using the One X with the Tegra 3.

Battery life is definitely not that impressive, but it doesn't seem too bad, but the stand by time is pretty good. I think I have read online that the battery life is comparable to a Nexus, not too sure. It definitely sucks up a lot of juice if you play intensive games on it though. The thing is that the One X comes in both quad core (tegra 3) and dual core (S4) forms. I believe that the dual core version has up to 20 to 25 percent more battery life than the quad core tegra 3.

this concerns me

battery life has been better overall due to smaller fab and better power management, but yeah, if you do heavy high end 3d gaming, the battery life will end up being worse..

SimleuqiR

I'm genuinely bewildered that Samsung didn't make the setup compatible with as much as possible.

Maybe it has to do with their decision to make the chip pin to pin compatible with the older generations.

Super lame. Another year before we possibly get devices that are truly carrier agnostic. (Something I think apple will be doing with the iphone5)

NEXUS 5 - From Google Mobile. BELIEVE!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i don't get how anyone can use anything else. i look at LCD screens and just die a little inside watching them. they all look so last gen.
Whoa whoa whoa, I don't much like LCDs either, I'm not saying that. I LOVE OLED screens, but I absolutely hate when they use Pentile matrix sub-pixel alignment. I'd rather have a lower resolution RGB layout than a higher resolution Pentile screen.

Phoenix

Assuming they don't close up shop again, bend over for another carrier, and then decide to do it all over again in two years.

I'm curious what they will give away at Google IO this year. I'm expecting a Google Tab, a Nexus 5, and maybe one of those Google Glasses. That would be awesome :) Too bad I can't make it this year.

Justice UK

Neo Member
So I'm not particularly clued up on the latest phones, still on a 3GS. Looking to upgrade soon seeing as my home button is dying. So what's the pentile screen business? What makes them so bad?

So I'm not particularly clued up on the latest phones, still on a 3GS. Looking to upgrade soon seeing as my home button is dying. So what's the pentile screen business? What makes them so bad?

left: RGB stripe
right: Pentile matrix

yAyji.jpg

basically, the Pentile matrix uses less subpixels per pixel, which can cause several issues with color and smoothness of text. some people notice it, some don't, some more than others.

Justice UK

Neo Member
left: RGB stripe
right: Pentile matrix

yAyji.jpg

basically, the Pentile matrix uses less subpixels per pixel, which can cause several issues with color and smoothness of text. some people notice it, some don't, some more than others.

So this begs the question, why are they using this technology when seemingly older tech works better?
My 3GS screen may not be high res but I always thought it looked smooth.

Zeppu

So this begs the question, why are they using this technology when seemingly older tech works better?

It's not as terrible as they're making it sound especially at the high DPI offered on these phones. I have a galaxy nexus and I've never found it to bother me at all except in dim light when sometimes it can take a green tint. Just look at one and see if it bothers you.

it's not about older technology vs newer technology. it's just that as screen resolution gets higher and higher, while screen size doesn't scale up to match, they have to pack more pixels into a given amount of space, and it's easier from a manufacturing perspective to fit in 4 elements instead of 6 elements so they go with a pentile matrix arrangement instead of a larger screen or lower resolution.

It's not as terrible as they're making it sound especially at the high DPI offered on these phones. I have a galaxy nexus and I've never found it to bother me at all except in dim light when sometimes it can take a green tint. Just look at one and see if it bothers you.

that.

Cipherr

This really isnt a discussion that can be had over the internet. Your best bet is to actually go to your nearest Sprint, ATT or Verizon location and look at phones in person.

Pentile is used because AFAIK at the time Samsung couldnt get the yields needed to use the RGB arrangement. They werent using something inferior just because.

And finally, we dont have a clue what the screen on the S3 is or will use.

Justice UK

Neo Member
This really isnt a discussion that can be had over the internet. Your best bet is to actually go to your nearest Sprint, ATT or Verizon location and look at phones in person.

Pentile is used because AFAIK at the time Samsung couldnt get the yields needed to use the RGB arrangement. They werent using something inferior just because.

And finally, we dont have a clue what the screen on the S3 is or will use.

To be honest I'm imaging it won't bother me too much. As I say I'm used to lower resolutions so I probably won't be able to tell. I'll try and pop into a O2 shop and have a look at the HTC one s cause I believe that had pentile.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel educated :)

Darkkn

Hopes for this bad boy:
TW improvements. I think TW is not as bad as a lot of pundits make it out to be, in fact i think TW on GS II is an improvement over stock(2.x.x) and has really no downsides as far as i can tell. On the other had ICS is great and i hope they have found a nice balance between TW and ICS.

A good battery life. I will take a non-skinniest possible phone if that means better battery life.

HW design needs to improve dramatically. Galaxy phones are not on the same level of Apples, Nokias(lumia) or HTCs(One) designs. They really needs to step up the quality of materials and the build quality.

I'm sure the specs will be more than enough for a current state of smartphones, but i'm worried that they might not deliver on other crucial areas.

If they can nail these it's day 1 purchase for me. As a galaxy user i hope that Sammy delivers so that i don't have to hop into HTCs offerings, which are looking great this year...

Top Bottom