• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Why do enthusiasts who leak pictures of unrevealed phones have the worst phone cameras? Even when it's a legit picture, and not purposely done, the quality resembles something from a decade old phone.

Doopliss

I like the thin bezel on the sides of the screen. Don't care about there being hardware buttons since it would probably have a bunch of empty space there anyway.

kehs

Banned
That thing looks really nice, like a more refined GN. I know it won't happened but that middle button should be a track pad

/missing the n1 trackball.

Toki767

Why the menu button?

Probably because if there wasn't one there, it'd end up being like the One X where they use an entire row just for a menu button. Granted they could've just done 4 software buttons, but then we wouldn't really have stuff to complain about.

Probably because if there wasn't one there, it'd end up being like the One X where they use an entire row just for a menu button. Granted they could've just done 4 software buttons, but then we wouldn't really have stuff to complain about.

but that's the App developer's fault, not HTC's!

rozay

Banned
That thing looks really nice, like a more refined GN. I know it won't happened but that middle button should be a track pad

/missing the n1 trackball.
adding a samsung logo and 3 hardware buttons to a clean black face is considered refining these days?

kehs

Banned
Hardware buttons AND on screen buttons? errrrrrrrrrrr

It won't have both.

adding a samsung logo and 3 hardware buttons to a clean black face is considered refining these days?

The body just looks a little "tighter" than the GN. I like the split volume keys, and it's probably going to be a completely flat screen which adds a little bit of "machined" look. Those hardware buttons will probably only been seen while lit up, like the GN's LED light.

Samsung logo does kill the look though.

gutshot

Isn't that pic a fake? It's basically a GNexus with some hardware buttons, a Samsung logo and volume rocker 'shopped on.

As has been pointed out on a number of sites, why are the buttons glowing but the screen is off? Why is there a reflection of the photographer where there shouldn't be?

Think it's probably best to wait and see what Samsung reveals before bitching.

kehs

Banned
Ah, that last picture confused me, didn't realize it was the GN.

Well then, what about the multitasking button?? Long hold Home I guess?

Maybe it's launching with Gingerbread.

(Left one will probably be the recent app list button)

rozay

Banned
Well, the Galaxy SIII looks to be the first with the quad core Exynos based on the A9. The Galaxy Nexus pales in comparison. I wouldn't worry.
I should've phrased that as specs don't really make a difference for the ways I use a smartphone, with the exception of the terrible camera on the nexus. If an AOSP build on this phone shows none of the lag that the nexus has when pulling up the recent apps, that's something that will make a difference to me though.

Still gonna wait for next week for a final judgement, but I feel like the inclusion of hardware keys here is just adding to the clusterfuck of android control layouts.

Cipherr

No, but adding HW buttons, and getting rid of a shitload of unneccesary bezel is considered refining these days. For onscreen buttons the GN has a stupid amount of bezel. Makes absolutely no sense. If your going to have onscreen buttons why in the hell wouldnt you take the opportunity to shrink the freaking bezel down. Its madness.

As for buttons, bring it. The point is for the OS to properly support both. If it isnt, then thats an issue with software that Google and/or app devs need to address and fix, but it sure as fuck doesn't mean every manufacturer needs to follow some code/rule that means everyone has to use on screen buttons. Thats ridiculous, and hilariously anti Android.

Differences in hardware. Most of the time when someone says what Im about to say, its demeaning and unnecessary, but I feel comfortable saying it because I think it applies here. If that sort of hardware difference between different devices bothers you, this isn't the OS you want to follow.

Just saying.

Josh7289

Real hardware buttons are awesome. Like this:

5Jbwx.jpg

I wish more phones would use them. It's too easy to press heat- or touch-sensitive buttons.

kehs

Banned
No, but adding HW buttons, and getting rid of a shitload of unneccesary bezel is considered refining these days. For onscreen buttons the GN has a stupid amount of bezel. Makes absolutely no sense. If your going to have onscreen buttons why in the hell wouldnt you take the opportunity to shrink the freaking bezel down. Its madness.

The bottom bezel on the GN at least houses the LED.

I was really hoping for a trackpad on the bottom though. =(

rozay

Banned

As for buttons, bring it. The point is for the OS to properly support both. If it isnt, then thats an issue with software that Google and/or app devs need to address and fix, but it sure as fuck doesn't mean every manufacturer needs to follow some code/rule that means everyone has to use on screen buttons. Thats ridiculous, and hilariously anti Android.

Differences in hardware. Most of the time when someone says what Im about to say, its demeaning and unnecessary, but I feel comfortable saying it because I think it applies here. If that sort of hardware difference between different devices bothers you, this isn't the OS you want to follow.

Just saying.
How are fixed capacitive buttons any worse than on screen keys that feel exactly the same but won't be antiquated in the future with google's now clearly defined app guidelines that eschew the menu button? You're absolutely right that the GN's bezel should have been smaller, but it does have a notification light at the bottom as Coco pointed out.

edit:I should point out that the physical home button is not necessarily a con in my book as serves a purpose as an easy way to unlock the screen, but I find a solution like the droid charge to be more elegant and less aping the iPhone. I guess the above applies more to a phone like the One X than to this phone.

Don't worry, I couldn't give two shits about fragmentation because it doesn't affect me or the phones I would consider using, it's just fodder for fanboys to argue about and at times a source of confusion for normal users. I use the platform that does what I need it to do and looks and feels good in my hand, and right now the only one that can fulfill those 3 is android.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Isn't that pic a fake? It's basically a GNexus with some hardware buttons, a Samsung logo and volume rocker 'shopped on.

As has been pointed out on a number of sites, why are the buttons glowing but the screen is off? Why is there a reflection of the photographer where there shouldn't be?

Think it's probably best to wait and see what Samsung reveals before bitching.
Was going to say this. Looks just like a shopped Nexus.

Its almost certainly NOT pentile.
And what would make you so certain of this?

Emily Chu

Banned
I've come to an Epiphany of sorts... with smartphones

be it Quad core, 8 core, 2GB RAM
1080p screens, 5-6"
GPUs amoled

the thing I do most is check GAF.... on it

Gnex looks @ least more streamline then this GSIII model... at least no hardware buttons

Ha6Xg.png

Cipherr

I keep looking at that pic, is that Aspect ratio right? The screens width looks off. I keep looking at my phone and at the screenshot. I can tell the angle is off, but looking at where the photo was supposedly snapped from by the reflection, the angle shouldnt be so steep that it distorts the image of the phone that much.

alternade

My excitement for this phone is wearing thin. Nothing seems that great and every rumor so far is in line with what im expecting. The design is too basic as well.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
My excitement for this phone is wearing thin. Nothing seems that great and every rumor so far is in line with what im expecting. The design is too basic as well.

You should probably wait until it's actually revealed, unless you like to buy into every rumor.

Niks

So if there are hardware buttons what about the resolution specs that was leaked before?
1280x720 + space for dedicated buttons?

Hilti92

I just bought a Galaxy S II last night. Didn't play with it too much but enough to realize that I like the phone. Saw this thread but figured I won't ever have the extra money to spend much on a phone. And I'm sure it will not come to Canada for a while. So far, the phone's awesome though.

kehs

Banned
So if there are hardware buttons what about the resolution specs that was leaked before?
1280x720 + space for dedicated buttons?

Nope, when phones report their size to apps the space for the on screen buttons isn't reported.

If they were onscreen, the phone would say report something like 1186 x720.

Cipherr

I just bought a Galaxy S II last night. Didn't play with it too much but enough to realize that I like the phone. Saw this thread but figured I won't ever have the extra money to spend much on a phone. And I'm sure it will not come to Canada for a while. So far, the phone's awesome though.

Its a good phone. Probably one of the best things to happen to the OS TBH. When phones like the S2 eventually get pushed down to occupy the "Cheap Android phone" spectrum things will be great for consumers.

Right now that super low tier of Android phones are absolutely nightmare inducing. Just really really horrible.

rozay

Banned
Its a good phone. Probably one of the best things to happen to the OS TBH. When phones like the S2 eventually get pushed down to occupy the "Cheap Android phone" spectrum things will be great for consumers.

Right now that super low tier of Android phones are absolutely nightmare inducing. Just really really horrible.
In some cases, the older flagship phones are cheaper and much, much better than 2011 and 2012 low end android phones. It's a shame most people don't realize that.
Wish the Craigslist peeps would get the MEMO.

Then again, not sure if I'd still buy without a US warranty
almost absolutely recommend buying from Google because you can at least swap the phone easily if you get a bad screen.

sun-drop

I've got an s2..and a vita so not entirely sure I'll upgrade. But I love mobile so will probably do so.

Those most recent pictures leaks I think will be on the money... If you look at the phone its scree is not only curved nexus style.. But also across the other access.. Almost like if it was a piece of dough resting on a pebble..... Which brings to mind the shape hinted at in the teaser video.

I used to be a fan of the physical home button... But think I'd prefer the US style of no physical button at all. I think the quad core world version will have to button tho. ... And the dual core snapdragon version will have no physical face buttons.

Hilti92

Well I'm glad that the phone I got isn't one of the cheap phones. I was looking at a few other Android phones but I heard good things about the S II and the camera quality looked good in examples.

Ashhong

Well I'm glad that the phone I got isn't one of the cheap phones. I was looking at a few other Android phones but I heard good things about the S II and the camera quality looked good in examples.

The S2 is still an amazing phone. I don't believe there is an actual NEED for the S3 at this point.

Top Bottom