• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

After thinking about it, I'm more than fine with my S3. My biggest complain by far is battery life...

If I could fix that one things about this damn phone I'd be golden.
I don't want to add bulk in the process >___>

EDIT: If there is a God, the next Nexus phone will be designed by Sony.

Pantech Nexus 5, powered by Intel Atom SoC

SHOTS

FUCKING

FIRED!!!

Chainfire XDA ‏@ChainfireXDA
@AndroidPolice I know QC variant will be available in Europe as well ...

https://twitter.com/ChainfireXDA/status/312354634863898624

guys, i'm starting to suspect that all LTE enabled models will be Qualcomm'd!

so yeah remember how we had all sorts of LTE enabled single and dual core phones and then we got to quad core and *BAM* we got Qualcomm'd because of LTE? the story goes like this...

the Galaxy S3 came with a Snapdragon S4 because that SoC had its own built-in baseband that supports LTE and DC-HSPA+ 42 and none of the standalone LTE basebands at the time were efficient enough to work with the quad core Exynos (or Tegra 3, hence the One X/EVO LTE also using the S4) because of the size and power drain.

later that same year, the Qualcomm MDM8x15 baseband was released. it was 28nm and supported those requirements, hence the Galaxy Note II, AT&T One X+ and other devices, including the S4 Pro devices (unlike S4, S4 Pro doesn't have an onboard LTE baseband) all using 8x15 variants in the US.

the Snapdragon 600 doesn't have a built-in LTE baseband, and neither does the Exynos Octa so they would both need a separate (presumably 8x15 based) baseband for cellular connectivity. now, we already know that the Snapdragon 600 works fine with the 8x15 baseband as it's in the One and the G Pro...

So, first someone at Samsung NL says they'll have the SD600, now Chainfire, who's trying to root a GS4 remotely mentions it will be in some areas of Europe too...

the only way it makes sense for the Exynos Octa to not be everywhere in every GS4 is... Exynos Octa is too big of a big power drain and can't work in a phone, even with the 8x15... so maybe that's what happened? Octa too hot for LTE phones?

tigerin

i got a feeling the s4 will be release in april/may in the US. production should be faster this time since samsung is using a similar model to the s3, just like how the note 2 were released 2 weeks after it announced.

sarcastor

Does this mean I can get an unlocked GS3 for $300 in the near future? Cause that will be sweet.

And an improvement on my galaxy nexus

*sigh*

Looks like I'll go with the HTC One. Was really hoping that Samsung would put in some changes to the design. The One is so damn sexy and the camera seems excellent.

.GqueB.

Banned
*sigh*

Looks like I'll go with the HTC One. Was really hoping that Samsung would put in some changes to the design. The One is so damn sexy and the camera seems excellent.

Yea I just had my hands on one today. Really nice phone.

But I really don't see what's so wrong with this phone. I was in the S3 is ugly camp too but I took another look at it and it's pretty much fine.

Yea I just had my hands on one today. Really nice phone.

But I really don't see what's so wrong with this phone. I was in the S3 is ugly camp too but I took another look at it and it's pretty much fine.

Nothing 'wrong' with it, it just, sort of bores me I guess.

zedge

*sigh*

Samsung has found their 'look' with the Galaxy phones, no need to radically change them. HTC on the other hand is scrambling to find any type of recognition.

Samsung has found their 'look' with the Galaxy phones, no need to radically change them. HTC on the other hand is scrambling to find any type of recognition.

Right, I get that and can fully understand it. It just disappoints me. Since my first cellphone like 10 years ago I've had Samsung phones. Flip phones, then the shitty resistive touch Instinct, and now I have an original Galaxy S.

My wife got the S3, and I think it looks great, but having seen it for almost a year, the design bores me now. I was hoping Samsung would go with a unibody metal design this time around, especially considering all the cash they're swimming in that they could afford it.

Unfortunately I was mistaken, and I've read about 5 different reviews of the HTC One and love what I'm seeing and reading. I couldn't care less about any recognition it has, I think it's a better phone overall for my tastes.

zedge

Unfortunately I was mistaken, and I've read about 5 different reviews of the HTC One and love what I'm seeing and reading. I couldn't care less about any recognition it has, I think it's a better phone overall for my tastes.

Nothing wrong with that. Its all personal preference.

Cyklops

Neo Member
So, can anyone give me a rundown why this phone's awesome and why it isn't? Compared to other phones like the HTC One and Xperia Z too?

Brera

Banned
If you could hack androids to run ios, I would jump in a heart beat :-(

Not to a Sammy though. Likely a Sony or HTC. I need my high end handsets to feel high end not shitty plastic.

So, can anyone give me a rundown why this phone's awesome and why it isn't? Compared to other phones like the HTC One and Xperia Z too?

As a Z owner, the only thing that makes me jealous is the amoled screen and bigger battery, I don't care much about specs as in real life use the difference will be negligible.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nothing 'wrong' with it, it just, sort of bores me I guess.

This is the same feeling I have. Since I already have a GS3 I don't feel like I 'need' or 'want' a spec bump GS3. I guess I know how apple owners feel with all of there S's now.

This is the same feeling I have. Since I already have a GS3 I don't feel like I 'need' or 'want' a spec bump GS3. I guess I know how apple owners feel with all of there S's now.

That's exactly what it is tbh. I have the 4S and even the jump to the 5 isn't worth it. Especially with the ridiculous screen dimensions. In fact that awful screen dimension is one major reason i'm switching to android. Apple just don't "get it" anymore.

Fezan

S4 vs xz

can some body tell me how reliable or biased andridauthority are ?

Somebody should make

Siv vs XZ vs HTCone thread comparing the best android devices

Cyklops

Neo Member
I don't get why there ate two different chipsets for the different regions? Is the US version better than the International version then?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well, all the big boys have laid out their cards. Only Apple remains. Time to see what they got.

Is Motorola no longer a big boy? I would consider them to be the biggest of the boys, especially now that they have Goog backing them.

Guess not really much of a reason to jump from a S3. The new touchwiz and features will probably be hacked to run on the GS3 by devs on xda.

KingRAW

Neo Member
Smaller battery is one thing, lower batter life is another. Until we've seen how well the S4 handles the A15's energy consumption, the jury is still out.

Larger…sure, but that's tradeoff for metal instead of plastic.

I haven't heard much about the One's camera. I would have thought their decision to go with larger pixels would have helped low light shots. Link?

As far as screen size goes, I would rather have better speakers than a larger screen. I think with HTC going for larger carrier support we should start to see software updates quicker.

Cipherr

Well, all the big boys have laid out their cards. Only Apple remains. Time to see what they got.

Apples next phone is probably 6 months away if not more. September or October.

Guess not really much of a reason to jump from a S3. The new touchwiz and features will probably be hacked to run on the GS3 by devs on xda.

Samsung already said they are bringing the S4 software features to the S3 and Galaxy Notes through an update after the S4 launches.

No need to bother with patchy hacks.

motorola am cry

and you all know what apple has. iphone 5s. Better cpu/gpu/camera/whatever. Same phone. Same schedule as always. The only mystery left is motorola and those stupid x phone rumours.

Aaaaand that's why I'm moving to android. Apple need to shape up.
it's not like every other popular manufacturer isn't doing the same, and by that I mean the only other one. It's the tick tock schedule. If HTC became popular I guarantee they'd do the same thing just like samsung is basically doing. Apple is currently on their tick, so we know what to expect from the 5S.

Besides, their phones aren't the issue most people have right now, it's the software.

So how big of an increase is the Snapdragon 600 in terms of power/performance compared to the dual core s4 in the GS3?
it's an not just an s600, it's an s600 at a higher clock. It should be quite a bit faster. In real world terms? Who knows.

Cipherr

Apple releases the new iPhone in late summer. So you have some waiting ahead of you, if you are going to wait for the iP6.

Indeed, and around late September early October when the 5S is shown you will be about 6 months from the release of the HTC Two, Xperia Z2 and the Galaxy S5, the same way we are now 6 months from the 5S.

Its pretty much on a 6 month cycle for flagships, so just pick a moment and jump in. Something else will always be around the corner.

Indeed, and around late September early October when the 5S is shown you will be about 6 months from the release of the HTC Two, Xperia Z2 and the Galaxy S5, the same way we are now 6 months from the 5S.

Its pretty much on a 6 month cycle for flagships, so just pick a moment and jump in. Something else will always be around the corner.

Not to mention that the Galaxy S and Note are now on alternating 6 months cadence, so the Note III will be around when the iP6 (5S?) is too.

Besides, their phones aren't the issue most people have right now, it's the software

That's my main reason (that and the stupid dimensions of the screen). The software and layout and look and overall spirit of the phone , is simply, boring.

Having a new iPhone nowadays means only two things. Showing people you have the latest one and having about 3 things that the previous phone didn't have.

Look at the difference between the 4s and the 5. There's basically nothing the 5 can do that the 4s can't. Where's the change?

MrHicks

Banned
That's my main reason (that and the stupid dimensions of the screen). The software and layout and look and overall spirit of the phone , is simply, boring.

Having a new iPhone nowadays means only two things. Showing people you have the latest one and having about 3 things that the previous phone didn't have.

Look at the difference between the 4s and the 5. There's basically nothing the 5 can do that the 4s can't. Where's the change?

still can't believe the iphone doesn't have an FM radio

.GqueB.

Banned
it's not like every other popular manufacturer isn't doing the same, and by that I mean the only other one. It's the tick tock schedule. If HTC became popular I guarantee they'd do the same thing just like samsung is basically doing. Apple is currently on their tick, so we know what to expect from the 5S.

Besides, their phones aren't the issue most people have right now, it's the software.

Yup. That was more or less the only thing holding me back from getting an iphone 5. The OS is so boring.

Top Bottom