• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I see, so it's a phone's issue. Thank you for this.

it's not really an issue, it's a deliberate decision.

the choices are to do things this way and have all 11GB available for all purposes to most users or to do things the old way and basically have a 'soft' requirement for many people to get an SD card because of the behavior of some apps expecting one to be there.

as internal storage size shot up, having the user space partitioned into separate buckets of arbitrary OEM chosen sizes became less appealing.

TommyT

Hopefully picking up an S3 here in the near future (off a third party so no reup on the contract) to try out Android for $250. If it's enjoyable and works well with what I'm wanting I'll probably bite on the S4 and renew my contract.

I've been messing with co-workers' S3s for about a week now and I'm sold. I'm trading in the iPhone for the GS4.

Any official news on pricing yet?

Exuro

So is the screen going to have the same "blotches of ink" appearance on dark backgrounds like the S3? That's my only big negative with the phone, other than it getting a little too warm.

Nemesis_

I9505 Snapdragon Model for Australia.

Is it worth importing one for the Exynos or not? Honestly I don't understand what's different >_>

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Is it worth importing one for the Exynos or not? Honestly I don't understand what's different >_>

not really

The SD600 is an incredibly fast/efficient chip, and the Exynos version only uses 4 cores at any given time, just like the snapdragon. The differences are minimal and you probably won't even notice.

Even still, more developers are leaning toward the SD version anyway.

Nemesis_

not really

The SD600 is an incredibly fast/efficient chip, and the Exynos version only uses 4 cores at any given time, just like the snapdragon. The differences are minimal and you probably won't even notice.

Even still, more developers are leaning toward the SD version anyway.

So then honestly, what's the difference?

TimeKillr

So you can't have LTE and Exynos together? Samsung better fix those production issues in time for the Note 3!!

Essentially, you can't, because Samsung uses Qualcomm's LTE modem, and a requirement that Qualcomm enforces is that if you use a Qualcomm LTE modem, you also must use a Snapdragon CPU.

It's fucking stupid and kinda greedy of them, but I understand their logic (nobody wants Snapdragons otherwise!).

I thought Samsung managed to get an LTE modem on their own and were going to integrate it into their Exynos line of CPUs, but apparently they're not there yet.

giga

Essentially, you can't, because Samsung uses Qualcomm's LTE modem, and a requirement that Qualcomm enforces is that if you use a Qualcomm LTE modem, you also must use a Snapdragon CPU.

It's fucking stupid and kinda greedy of them, but I understand their logic (nobody wants Snapdragons otherwise!).

I thought Samsung managed to get an LTE modem on their own and were going to integrate it into their Exynos line of CPUs, but apparently they're not there yet.
Apple uses Qualcomm LTE basebands with their own custom chip.

CryptiK

But the Australian Galaxy s3 4G has the Exynos processor and 4G :S

yanhero

what does the i9305 use then?

nib95

Banned

I doubt it's worth importing tbh.

My guess...

Exynos 5

+Better battery
+Much better GPU
+Possibly slightly faster CPU

Snapdragon 600

+Far more common part, possibly better for developers and apps
+Could run cooler

None of the above is true yet mind, we'll have to wait to hear more. I should add, though the GPU with the Exynos 5 might be a lot better in benches, chances are the one in the Snapdragon 600 will be more than sufficient for everything out there. Even my Galaxy S3 (running on an older and slower variant and GPU) benches 47~fps on the new Epic Citadel graphical benchmark.

That's a different (older) Exynos part. I think Exynos 5 (the new octa variant) is less compatible with LTE. Not sure if that's due to size, heat or what.

flippedb

Banned
I love how Sammy fans mocked Apple for the transitions on their last iPhone models, but now it's Samsung the one who copy-pasted a device lol

I love how Sammy fans mocked Apple for the transitions on their last iPhone models, but now it's Samsung the one who copy-pasted a device lol

At least you guys got a bigger screen. I'm not waiting around for the inevitable 5S with spec bumps and possible NFC.

nib95

Banned

The S4 is not a copy and pasted device, except in actual aesthetics. Every other element, from the internal hardware, screen, resolution, software, features etc, is evolutionary and in some cases pushing the boundaries. Octa core cpu, 1080p AMOLED using a new improved matrix, new improved larger Sony sensor and camera processing, huge array of new software features, Android 4.2.2 etc etc.

The aesthetic design is about the only thing that remains too similar, and even then it is different and still a huge feat of engineering as far as physical design is concerned. The slimness (0.2mm off the iPhone 5) size (no difference in size from the S3 despite having a 0.2" bigger screen at 5", and less bezel than nearly every other phone) and weight (lighter than the S3 which was already quite a light phone, especially given the size).

this_guy

I doubt it's worth importing tbh.

My guess...

Exynos 5

+Better battery
+Much better GPU

Snapdragon 600

+Far more common part, possibly better for developers and apps
+Could run cooler

None of the above is true yet mind, we'll have to wait to hear more. I should add, though the GPU with the Exynos 5 might be a lot better in benches, chances are the one in the Snapdragon 600 will be more than sufficient for everything out there. Even my Galaxy S3 (running on an older and slower variant and GPU) benches 47~fps on the new Epic Citadel graphical benchmark.

That's a different (older) Exynos part. I think Exynos 5 (the new octa variant) is less compatible with LTE. Not sure if that's due to size, heat or what.

I wouldn't give the edge in battery life to Exynos just yet. The Krait core design was based off the A15 but designed to be much more efficient. Exynos HAS to have the A7 cores because the A15 cores are power hogs. We have to see how Exynos switches between the A7 and A15 in real world usage, but just doing that adds a level of complexity.

nib95

Banned
I wouldn't give the edge in battery life to Exynos just yet. The Krait core design was based off the A15 but designed to be much more efficient. Exynos HAS to have the A7 cores because the A15 cores are power hogs. We have to see how Exynos switches between the A7 and A15 in real world usage, but just doing that adds a level of complexity.

True, but remember we're now pushing the upper end of the intended clock speeds. 1.9ghz is quite high, especially compared to the initial releases. I do appreciate they've made the die size smaller though.

TimeKillr

Is it 4G or LTE?

The naming conventions for these things are fucking ridiculous.

4G can refer to both LTE and HSPA+, so it's kinda hard to tell.

And yes, Apple built their own LTE chip - I was saying Samsung uses Qualcomm's LTE chip in their phones, so...

The strange Qualcomm requirement might also stem from North American LTE bands/tech that only Qualcomm (and possibly Apple?) can work with. Otherwise there's no reason why Samsung would push a phone with a Qualcomm CPU only in North America (and some other rare parts of the world).

how is the phone remotely similar in any way? the screen, cpu, resolution and software are all massive upgrades so I dont see your point at all.

this isnt a "minor change" by lengthening the phone by 0.3 inches..this is a completely new and upgraded line.

it's a heat/power drain issue.

"Cortex-A15™cores (1.6GHz) for processing-intense tasks and Cortex-A7™ quad cores (1.2GHz) for lighter workloads."

looks like the clock speed confusion is clarified. at 1.6GHz, the big cores should easily crush the Krait 300 CPU cores in performance.

Cipherr

Its definitely the same shell design, I don't think anyone would deny that.

OTOH, if that bothered you, you could just as easily buy an HTC One, or an Xperia ZL or whatever Motorola has cooking while staying on the same OS and without losing all of your purchased music, movies, books, apps and games.

Options ™.

yanhero

Is it 4G or LTE?

The naming conventions for these things are fucking ridiculous.

4G can refer to both LTE and HSPA+, so it's kinda hard to tell.

And yes, Apple built their own LTE chip - I was saying Samsung uses Qualcomm's LTE chip in their phones, so...

The strange Qualcomm requirement might also stem from North American LTE bands/tech that only Qualcomm (and possibly Apple?) can work with. Otherwise there's no reason why Samsung would push a phone with a Qualcomm CPU only in North America (and some other rare parts of the world).

Its lte. The international s3 lte has an exynos 4 n 2gb ram.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So is the screen going to have the same "blotches of ink" appearance on dark backgrounds like the S3? That's my only big negative with the phone, other than it getting a little too warm.

pretty sure that's always going to be an issue, it's using AMOLED still isn't it? just inherent in that type of screen

sure, if you want to compare the exact same look minus a shift in button placement on one side to a similar look with everything in different places, a wide metal band, a larger screen, a narrower and slimmer device... go ahead.

flippedb

Banned
sure, if you want to compare the exact same look minus a shift in button placement on one side to a similar look with everything in different places, a wide metal band, a larger screen, a narrower and slimmer device... go ahead.

You're incredible lol

lwyUzG0.png

whitesmoke_35627724_11.jpg

Apple changed the form factor, screen size, thickness, screen resolution and even the materials. Samsung changed the bezel, thickness, screen res and size.

They did almost the same, but I believe Apple went further by at least changing the materials.

Stop acting like a fanboy man!

You're incredible lol

Apple changed the form factor, screen size, thickness, screen resolution and even the materials. Samsung changed the bezel, thickness, screen res and size.

They did almost the same, but I believe Apple went further by at least changing the materials.

Stop acting like a fanboy man!
i guess in your haste to reply, you skimmed my words and somehow thought i was referring to the 5 and not the 4->4S transition.

nib95

Banned
why does the reviewer at the end says

"The 4MP ultra-pixel camera is probably better than any five-megapixel on a phone, but well behind most proper cameraphones."

He's saying that the HTC One's camera is better than other phone camera's of equal megapixel range, but against modern camera phones which all have higher mp counts, it is not comparable.

Nemesis_

I'm still wanting to just grab an Xperia Z instead but I have a feeling that bar design, the S4 will be the better phone.

Argh these decisions ;_;

Ugh why is this so hard to chose between HTC One and this.

HTC is killing me with their update history but I really like their Feed screen with live updates.

But S4 has removable memory, battery, and good update history.

But HTC looks nicer with its aluminum body. Ugh.

In the same exact boat. Weighing both pros and cons. For me touchwiz is such a turn off and the new sense looks so much cleaner and nicer. Touchwiz is more than just a launcher too so just using a 3rd party launcher doesn't change the entire phones asethics and flashing an asop rom takes away all the Samsung specific feature sets

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I've been following the S4 for a while but I'm probably going to go for the One.

I've had every Galaxy iteration so far, but I've gotten over my fear of a non-removable battery -- and I'm way over TouchWiz. Sense has been rocking since 4.0. My brothers One X is nice.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
And to be honest, I have never used any feature of TouchWiz properly. I've never used S-voice (Google's Voice Recognition / Software is more efficient), I've never S-Beamed, and I've never witnessed the benefits of SmartStay because my battery life sucks no matter what.

Unless the eye-tracking software is really advanced, I won't need it.

Certinty

Samsung really do seem to love us Brits!

We got the S2 and S3 early in comparison to most countries and now we're getting both versions of the S4. Great stuff!

Top Bottom