• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Replicant

Such a fugly phone.

Also, whoever bought them better hope that it has better screen guard than S3. My friend's phone shattered into ridiculous pieces after just dropping it from a table. Now he has to use clear tapes all over it since his contract is not fully paid off yet.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So uh:

samcondsc08035.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/samsung-prototype-wireless-game-pad-hands-on/#continued

Just capitalise on that long-standing friendship/partnership with Microsoft and xbox and make that a 360 controller.

yanhero

Thank god for the removable battery, seems like samsung are the only ones left with this feature on their flagship. Once i had felt the freedom n comfort that a removable battery provides, i can never go back...(Until we finally hv phones that i can use intensively n not run out for an entire day)

Such a fugly phone.

Also, whoever bought them better hope that it has better screen guard than S3. My friend's phone shattered into ridiculous pieces after just dropping it from a table. Now he has to use clear tapes all over it since his contract is not fully paid off yet.

i drop my phone almost daily from shoulder sized heigts (yes i'm clumsy) and treat it like a ginger in middle school, yet no scratches or shattering on the display. dropped it a couple of times while riding a bike full speed too. must be lucky, never have a case nor a screen protector and my phone always survives the 2 years i have it easily with good resell value. anecdotal evidence: never saw a smashed Galaxy while i saw hundreds off iphones and htc with broken glass.

Thank god for the removable battery, seems like samsung are the only ones left with this feature on their flagship. Once i had felt the freedom n comfort that a removable battery provides, i can never go back...(Until we finally hv phones that i can use intensively n not run out for an entire day)

yes removable battery, sd card and sim within 2 seconds >>> having so called 'ugly' plastic.

Hermii

Seriously the screen on S3 is frickin amazing, so isnt 1080p a bit overkill ? Much of the extra processing power would just go to displaying an even higher resolution, so the actual performance wont improve that much ? Woudnt it be better to improve other areas than the screen ?

Ovid

Seriously the screen on S3 is frickin amazing, so isnt 1080p a bit overkill ? Much of the extra processing power would just go to displaying an even higher resolution, so the actual performance wont improve that much ? Woudnt it be better to improve other areas than the screen ?

Is the S3's screen better than the iPhone 4S?

Nemesis_

I *suppose* it would make viewing media much better.

Pixel density is always nice too I guess.

I think now is the time to stop focusing on that and move on to other things though.

i do kind of want the phone more the more i see it. i didn't realize it's literally pretty much the same external size as the gs3 and even nexus 4, yet they packed a 5 inch screen in there. thats pretty great. i love the nexus 4, but between the larger bezel and onscreen buttons, side by side videos show it's significantly less screen than the gs4.

for example next to gs3

slide_286365_2222586_free.jpg

i also think the ir blaster is cool, and something my gs3 doesnt have. if i'm not mistaken wouldnt that basically make the phone the worlds best/most versatile universal remote? if so, that'd be awesome. i hate having 5 remotes in my living room, and have heard mixed reviews on logitech harmony so havent pulled the trigger.

touchwiz still looks way too mainstream/fisher-pricey though. once you see mods with smaller icons, which work well on these high rez devices, it's hard to go back to big cartoony touch wiz :(

mxgt

Banned

I sort of agree. I mean, I can barely even see pixels on my S3 screen.

I doubt I'd even notice the difference betwen 720 and 1080 on a small phone screen.

Those speakers uglied up that phone real good. Anyways, just found my next phone. GOODBYE DROID INCREDIBLE!

Yeah they kinda did, but the idea of good (better) speakers on a phone is kinda awesome. I'd probably have to hear it in person to judge if it's worth it, though.

It could fall into that gray area of "good for a phone, but still crap" and thus be rendered kinda useless. OTOH if it could make the phone a decent stand alone audio center without needing external bluetooth speakers, it would be great.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Will get. I hope Draco has a case for it by the time I'm ready to upgrade to this. I really liked the Draco cases for the S3.

massoluk

Banned
I don't know.... I'm not feeling it. Doesn't look like it's worth upgrading from GS3.

Feels like:

GS1 -> GS2
Gs3 -> GS4

Waiting for Note 3 still.

I don't know.... I'm not feeling it. Doesn't look like it's worth upgrading from GS3.

Feels like:

GS1 -> GS2
Gs3 -> GS4

yeah, i think i can hold out. it looks nice the more i see it, but nothing super amazing.

i'm not sure exactly when my upgrade is due anyway, probably in more like time for the gs5 anyway. only phone worth paying retail for is nexus 4.

i'd love to see battery testing, i'm betting it will impress there due to 2600ma battery.

i thought gs2 was a pretty huge leap over gs1 (which was basically garbage, having owned one), but i get what you're saying too.

JCizzle

Feels like:

GS1 -> GS2
Gs3 -> GS4

Going to be really interesting to see what form factor they use for note 3 if it has a 6 inch screen. I have a note 2 and it feels just about the biggest I can deal with, but who knows at this point lol.

I do know my note makes me want a bigger ipad screen though! Cut that bezel down and bump it to 11 or even 12 inches

Groof

Going to be really interesting to see what form factor they use for note 3 if it has a 6 inch screen. I have a note 2 and it feels just about the biggest I can deal with, but who knows at this point lol.
I'm hoping that if they managed a 5" display on almost the exact same body as the S3, then maybe they'll be able to fit a 6" on the body of a Note 2. Got me real excited to see what they got in store for the Note 3, even though I'll probably never get my hands on one.

The best thing about this phone is the GPU imo. The software features are pointless.
Wave your hand to scroll pages? Why? scrolling with finger is faster.
Hoven your finger for media preview? Why? with the speed of these phones it's faster to open the album and press back.

tzare

expected more from samsung considering they are known as the android flagship manufacturer, but both htc and sony seem to have the edge , at least on paper, then samsung marketing will destroy them.

Design: too samey, not a bad thing but if you change your phone every year it is a bonus most of the time, both Z and One have the edge here

Specs: expected modern cpu a15 4 cores, 2gb ram, we will see how big.little thing performs in real world, if does well may be a good selling point. It is similar to One and more powerful than Z , but Z is on sale today and One and S4 won't be for a while.

I also expected water proof like Z, i think it is a nice feature to have on +600€ flagship phones and probably what makes the difference if i had to buy one of those phones.

I also expected spen, it would have been a nice feature other phones do not have and for those that don't want a huge note as a daily smartphone.

Another plasticky phone? for shame samsung. Just looks ugly as hell. IR blaster? Already on the xperia z. Specs are just evolutionary. Just what does this phone have that seperates it from the rest?

nib95

Banned
The best thing about this phone is the GPU imo. The software features are pointless.
Hoven your finger for media preview? Why? with the speed of these phones it's faster to open the album and press back.

Dual camera video recording, background remover, three way voice chat (also dual camera simultaneously), 100 shot action merge, auto voice translator etc? These aren't useful software features?

Wiktor

I also expected water proof like Z, i think it is a nice feature to have on +600€ flagship phones and probably what makes the difference if i had to buy one of those phones.
Wouldn't removable battery and SD card make that really hard to acomplish?

This phone looks nice. If I were to dump Apple it would probably be HTC One over this though based on body design.

I'm new to anything non-apple so please bare with me:

What are the big changes between JellyBean 4.1 and the 4.2 that the Galaxy S4 has?

Also, what time frame could the HTC one expect 4.2?

When is the next major google phone expected?

reKon

Banned
Dual camera video recording, background remover, three way voice chat (also dual camera simultaneously), 100 shot action merge, auto voice translator etc? These aren't useful software features?

Unfortunately for people if there's not a big aesthetic change then it's only a small upgrade (i.e. iPhone 5)

CrankyJay

Banned
This phone looks nice. If I were to dump Apple it would probably be HTC One over this though based on body design.

I'm new to anything non-apple so please bare with me:

What are the big changes between JellyBean 4.1 and the 4.2 that the Galaxy S4 has?

Also, what time frame could the HTC one expect 4.2?

When is the next major google phone expected?

You're going to get a phone based solely off of looks even though the One purportedly has camera and battery life issues?

You're going to get a phone based solely off of looks even though the One purportedly has camera and battery life issues?

These camera inflation numbers don't bother me. I stopped caring when we reached 5MPs. Camera isn't a big deal to me.

I haven't heard anything about battery issues. Again, I'm near a USB port 90% of my life so it's not an issue.

CrankyJay

Banned
These camera inflation numbers don't bother me. I stopped caring when we reached 5MPs. Camera isn't a big deal to me.

I haven't heard anything about battery issues. Again, I'm near a USB port 90% of my life so it's not an issue.

Alright. That being said, it is a pretty phone.

otapnam

Waving hand when cooking and looking up recipes with dirty hands?

What type of things are people expecting from a new Google phone that will outshine on the S4?

- Not plastic design
- Fragmantation will be better

Anything else?

TommyT

Is there going to be another even for the price or is it just going to be randomly announced or were we given a date or...?

TommyT

Is it hard to imagine it will probably be the same price as when the S3 was released?

I have no idea what to imagine with it. I've never kept up with the S3 when it was released (nor do I know offhand what it's original price was subsidized and non) and, based on the last two events for phones I actually kept an eye on (the iPhone 4s and 5) that had prices in their reveal, I expected there would be a price in this one.

As some outlets are saying that we can expect a "premium" price tag with this phone, I could do without the condescension and would appreciate an clear answer to the question if one were to know or be familiar with previous releases. Price matters to me and it wasn't mentioned yesterday, so I'm hoping to find out when and how I can expect a price for this phone.

I have no idea what to imagine with it. I've never kept up with the S3 when it was released (nor do I know offhand what it's original price was subsidized and non) and, based on the last two events for phones I actually kept an eye on (the iPhone 4s and 5) that had prices in their reveal, I expected there would be a price in this one.

As some outlets are saying that we can expect a "premium" price tag with this phone, I could do without the condescension and would appreciate an clear answer to the question if one were to know or be familiar with previous releases. Price matters to me and it wasn't mentioned yesterday, so I'm hoping to find out when and how I can expect a price for this phone.

Well in Canada you can expect no less than $149.99 and no more than $199.99. If you're in the States I guess add $50 to that as it's a two year contract, not a three.

CrankyJay

Banned

You could have googled this...

16gb with 2 year contract was $199 (32 was $249) and unlocked was $600

Talon

Apple cannot afford a 5S this year. I mean, its a little person in a sea of giants.

Give me inches damnit!
Sales numbers indicate that the iPhone 5 isn't suffering from the competition at all. Don't expect them to change course until that ASP dips significantly.

For better or worse, that company always operates in a vacuum.

TommyT

You could have googled this...

16gb with 2 year contract was $199 (32 was $249) and unlocked was $600

I know, and I have since I posted my earlier reply. Thanks though, it still doesn't answer my original question.

edit: To be clear -
My original question was/is when (and how) can I expect the price to be announced. The reason this is pertinent to me is because I've seen this "...and Samsung wouldn’t comment on price except to say it will have a "premium Samsung smartphone price" floating around outlets (this specific one is from TheVerge). This is making me wonder if a similar statement was made during the S3 launch which would mean I can expect the prices to be the same at launch. If not, it's a rather convenient thing to be mentioned during the reveal which could allow them to increase the price slightly.

Top Bottom