• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

the uae is getting both models. which is considered to be better or is the verdict still out?
if you care about dev support, the snapdragon version is better. But honestly in real world use it probably doesn't make a big difference, or at least not a very noticeable one. Unless you count benchmarks as real world use.

well, they had some nice info...

fpNzliQ.jpg

sun-drop

And to be honest, I have never used any feature of TouchWiz properly. I've never used S-voice (Google's Voice Recognition / Software is more efficient), I've never S-Beamed, and I've never witnessed the benefits of SmartStay because my battery life sucks no matter what.

Unless the eye-tracking software is really advanced, I won't need it.

probably because you haven't gone hunting for them in the menus..

i mean .... s- voice for example ... i'm sure a ton of people just associate it with the double-tab home button siri like feature ... which i like most people disable in favour of google now.

but ...S-voice is where you enable very cool shit like the voice controlled alarm dismiss and camera voice control - serious freaking handy ..esp with phones this size.

i think thats why samsung advertise the way they do, including the S4 presentation ...basically ...they spell out how to use these features.

seems they are getting better at making these features more obvious in touchwhiz now too....the galaxy cam interface , and the separation of voice commands from the depths of the s-voice menu .. good starts..

Madness

The snapdragon s600 is probably one of the best out on the market. Much like when the S3 launched, the snapdragon s4 was one of the best you could get.

As for whether or not the s600 makes any difference, I do believe samsung has upped the clock speed to 1.9 ghz. Plus the octa core isn't necessarily 8 identical cores.

But theoretically the octa core will be more powerful, but it'll be all but noticeable. Hardly any apps besides a few games even utilize quad cores yet.

It's why I don't know whether to upgrade from my S3, I mean, sure it's better in all areas, but it's not like the jump the s2 to s3 was. Plus I'm hearing the note 3, will be the same size as the note 2 but with a 6" and larger screen thrown in.  

CrankyJay

Banned
Not sure if posted, Galaxy S4 mini in the works too for people that don't want a 5 in phone

4.3 inch screen Jelly bean...4.2.2, Super AMOLED

The Galaxy S4, Samsung’s flagship device of 2013, has been presented two weeks ago and now, it seems like Samsung is planning to announce its smaller version, the Mini Galaxy S4. It will be available in 4 different variants the HSPA+, Dual SIM, 4G LTE and one for China. All these devices are using different build numbers so that consumers will be able to easily differentiate between models.

It is rumored that the Galaxy S4 Mini device will sport a 4.3inch Super AMOLED screen, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, 1.6 GHz dual-core CPU, 8MP camera and the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. For the HSPA+ I9190 we’re expecting a 4-core CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz.

The Mini SGS4 device model numbers appeared on Samsung’s support web page which can be considered to be an official source for this kind of news. Italian web site, Android Caotic news are the ones who spotted this piece of info first and we can only speculate on the final specs that will be equipped in this upcoming smartphone.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini variants should hit the daylight some time in July 2013 and until then we will have to wait until some press releases are pushed out. We can speculate on the final pricing as it shouldn’t be bigger than $350- $400 which is great for users who don’t want to buy its bigger brother, the Galaxy S4 I9500 / I9505 variant.

The build numbers for all 4 variants of the Galaxy S4 mini are these: I9190, which should be the HSPA+ variant with a quad core processor; I9192 the dual-SIM variant of the HSPA+ model, the I9195 4G LTE ; the I9198 which might be the model that will be available for the Chinese market.

Keep an eye on Android web sites to find out first when Samsung denies / confirms this piece of leaked news that appeared first on their own official support web page for Samsung devices Less

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsu...sung-galaxy-s4-mini-specs-picture-leak-online

Galaxy S 4 Will Launch On T-Mobile On May 1st With LTE

T-Mobile is not playing around today at its "UNcarrier" event. In addition to formally announcing the new, simplified prices with optional equipment repayment plans, and a shiny new LTE network, the company also says that the Galaxy S 4 will be arriving on its airwaves on May 1st, packing the ability to hook into that lovely 4G.

The carrier did not, however, elect to mention the pricing of the device. It has said that the iPhone, HTC One, and Blackberry Z10 will all have a $99 up front price and a $20/month payment plan. Over the course of 24 months, this makes the final price about $580 for those devices. And, as we learned before, base price + monthly hardware cost * 24 months = total price of handset unlocked. If it follows the same pattern, you can (probably!) get the T-Mobile version of the GS4 for $580 sans contract. Not a bad deal. Of course, that's speculation at this point, and once we have confirmation from T-Mo, you'll know.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/26/galaxy-s-4-will-launch-on-t-mobile-on-may-1st-with-lte/

first US date!

nib95

Banned
Fair to say Samsung hit one out the park with this.

BoneXDA said:
C'mon, it beats out the S3 almost by 4 hours, over 35% improvement.

Anyway, GSM Arena did a deep long comparison test between the S4 and the HTC One with some very interesting results.

GSM Arena | Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two

In design/HW it's a tie, HTC wins for the looks and built, S4 for small size, bigger screen and replaceable battery. It also takes the screen victory due to more contrast, improvement on natural colors and brightness and better outdoor legibility due to less reflectibitly despite the One is brighter. The Galaxy wins the battery race but it's tight if you're a heavy user, TouchWiz & features beat Sense. The HTC takes the audio and video quality W but in a surprise the S4 wins in low light by capturing more details - both needed several shots to get one results sharp and the One's OIS helped, but S4 takes the category as well is normal and good light, it's just a great overall sensor.

Conclusion is: it's not about who won more categories but which matter to you. GSMA review coming later this week.

Biggest surprise for me was that the S4 won in the low light camera shoot out. Pretty insane. looks like the sensor holds up brilliantly even in low light, which makes HTC's decision to go 4mp for the benefit of low light capability even more questionable.

BoneXDA said:
Superb battery results by the Snapdragon 600 variant!

GSM Arena said:
The Samsung Galaxy S4 should get even the heaviest users through a single day, while most can expect two, three work days out of it. The battery life is pretty well balanced, with the Galaxy S4 getting near the top of the chart in every test, so it doesn’t matter if your personal usage patterns involve more talking or more web browsing, the Samsung flagship has excellent battery life. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is a good performer in the individual categories and thanks to efficient standby, it scored a very respectable endurance rating of 63 hours. That’s how long it will last between charges if you do an hour each of calling, web browsing and watching videos every day. While we’re here, we should mention that Samsung will be selling accessories for the Galaxy S4 to help with the battery life – one is a special back cover that enables wireless charging and the other is a dedicated charger for a second battery.

GSM Arena | Samsung Galaxy S4 battery life tests are done, here’s how it did

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

optimus-gpro-battery-test.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

Also surprised the S4 did so well in the web browsing test, since AMOLED screens traditionally use up a lot more power web browsing due to their consumption with the colour white (far more common on most websites than the colour black). Apparently that's a non issue with the S4, with overall battery use being among the best.

Can't wait to see how the Exynos Octa variant performs!

reKon

Banned
That Nexus 4 score is not accurate because it was a software issue. S4's score is very impressive. I suspect that a fix to the HTC One's stand by would boost up that score considerably.

If anyone doubts me, there's always XDA you can look at too.

The main conclusion: Qualcomm has got their shit together. I will die if the X Phone is equipped with a less efficient Tegra 4

That Nexus 4 score is not accurate because it was a software issue. S4's score is very impressive. I suspect that a fix to the HTC One's stand by would boost up that score considerably.

If anyone doubts me, there's always XDA you can look at too.

The main conclusion: Qualcomm has got their shit together. I will die if the X Phone is equipped with a less efficient Tegra 4

it was accurate when it was reviewed. Polygon doesn't review phones.

sun-drop

i wonder which one is going to get the dev support .. the internation exnos s3 gets roms leaked to xda every other week, hell 4.2.1 is out already .... US version ..not so much ...

but now ... hard to say ... :/

i wonder which one is going to get the dev support .. the internation exnos s3 gets roms leaked to xda every other week, hell 4.2.1 is out already .... US version ..not so much ...

but now ... hard to say ... :/

gonna guess that now that many international countries are getting the LTE model, there will be Snapdragon ROM leaks too.

nib95

Banned
New benchmarks for Exynos 5.

1st round of Samsung Galaxy S4 benchmarks are in for International Exynos 5 version

SamMobile!

Benchmark
So, as we had the Octa-Core (GT-I9500) variant of the Galaxy S4, we decided to do some benchmarks. We are just BLOWN away from the results we got. The Galaxy S4 crushed every other device, even the HTC One and the Sony XPERIA Z. We used Antutu and Quadrant as our benchmark tools. The device received a score of 27417 on Antutu and 12726 on Quadrant.

This is my first non-apple phone, how will pre-orders (if any) work?

Will I preorder through Samsung or my carrier (AT&T in my case?)

Is the pre-order process as painful as Apple's can be (i.e. site crashes, have to get in within the first hour, long lines, etc. )

This is my first non-apple phone, how will pre-orders (if any) work?

Will I preorder through Samsung or my carrier (AT&T in my case?)

Is the pre-order process as painful as Apple's can be (i.e. site crashes, have to get in within the first hour, long lines, etc. )

Carrier and no idea, never preordered.

Damn. £629 is a lot more than I was expecting. Well HTC have their way into the market at least in the UK now. If they can price at £449 they can take a lot of people away from Samsung as they can get deals for free on 24 month contracts for £30/m while GS4 will be free from £45 or more.

Samsung making an error here I think. It's really the same phone as the One and Xperia Z, pricing it significantly higher than these two will be bad for their market share. People love free phones for ~£30/m on two year deals. Samsung need to ensure those deals exist.

I think this might warrant a new topic for this, but since it's related to the S4, I'll post here (and the fact that I can't make topics yet). But Best Buy is planing on adding a dedicated space for Samsung merchandise (like how they already do with Apple), with the area being a major showcase for the Samsung Galaxy S4. They're going to be rolling this out in their high-traffic stores by next month, with all other stores following before the end of the year:

Link

nib95

Banned
That's too much money. Samsung is making a mistake here. I'll get one because my contract is high use and I'll get it free (hopefully), but most people that I know aren't that interested in the differences in mobiles to fork out any serious extra money for one over another.

Yeah that's a ridiculously high price. I'm going to hope in Canada it is 199 at the most, which I still think is high. I say this because we have 3 year contracts, and the iphone 5 launched at 159.99 I believe.

Vyer

Contract price is dumb, but likely as with lots of android phones the carriers will probably have some promotions during the course if the year. (Well, on the other hand, it is AT&T ...)

So AT&T's contract price for the 32GB version will probably be $350? Is that usually how it works with upgrading the internal storage?

Yeah that's a ridiculously high price. I'm going to hope in Canada it is 199 at the most, which I still think is high. I say this because we have 3 year contracts, and the iphone 5 launched at 159.99 I believe.

iPhone 5 launched at $179. $199 is what the Note II launched for (aside from Rogers which has it at $250 for a brief time).

I think $179 is a safe bet.

Asimov

Banned
Is the Nexus 4 still the best $300 unlocked out of contract phone?

Or is it possible to get one of these S4 (the mini) for $300?

iPhone 5 launched at $179. $199 is what the Note II launched for (aside from Rogers which has it at $250 for a brief time).

I think $179 is a safe bet.
Yeah there's no way this launches at a higher price than the note 2. I could swear the iphone was 159.99 though. Maybe that was the 4S.

Is the Nexus 4 still the best $300 unlocked out of contract phone?

Or is it possible to get one of these S4 (the mini) for $300?
ew get a nex4

Top Bottom