• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

thirty

Banned
Unless you only take pictures in low light its not that big of a deal. For normal shots in day light my GS3 is better than my 920.
Too bad the GS3 takes shitty video in comparison. From the floating lens to its high bitrate mics, the 920 is still king of video.

kharma45

True. 920 has had two major updates since launch to its camera firmware, one of them very recently. Both added a lot of clarity/detail to the camera in daylight, but it could be pretty soft at before that.

Portico made a huge difference to the camera, really showed how much it was under performing out of the box.

uhhhhhh

try $549

lol half the price (after tax) of what we're paying SIM free in the UK, I love it here.

Too bad the GS3 takes shitty video in comparison. From the floating lens to its high bitrate mics, the 920 is still king of video.

what blows my minds is several reviewers have said the GS4 has *WORSE* video recording than the GS3/GN2. worse FOV, worse quality... they're probably using a relatively small part of the sensor for video input to save on encoding overhead. especially when they have to throw dual camera recording into the mix...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So....what are we thinkin?
850 off contract? 1000?

More like $600. It's listed at about 6000 SEK here in Sweden, and these prices are typically converted as per $1 = 10 SEK, even though that's slightly insane (6000 SEK is about $920, or ~$735 if you get rid of our 25% VAT).

thirty

Banned
what blows my minds is several reviewers have said the GS4 has *WORSE* video recording than the GS3/GN2. worse FOV, worse quality... they're probably using a relatively small part of the sensor for video input to save on encoding overhead. especially when they have to throw dual camera recording into the mix...
wow! That's something that can be fixed through software. Perhaps Samsung can update with a high bitrate mode.

wow! That's something that can be fixed through software. Perhaps Samsung can update with a high bitrate mode.

the problem doesn't seem to be the bitrate though, it seems to be that they use a relatively small area on the photo sensor for video capture.

LCD is more power efficient and the color reproduction on LCD is better. AMOLED might have improved, but it isn't there yet.

AMOLED has superior color reproduction. power efficiency differs based on what content is displayed.

AMOLED has superior color reproduction. power efficiency differs based on what content is displayed.

areyouserious.gif

The LCD fanatics are growing desperate. The sound they make rattling their cage as they perish will serve as a warning to the rest. Aquinas spoke of the "City on the Hill", and we will be crowned its Kings.

Or better than Kings. GODS.

The LCD fanatics are growing desperate. The sound they make rattling their cage as they perish will serve as a warning to the rest. Aquinas spoke of the "City on the Hill", and we will be crowned its Kings.

Or better than Kings. GODS.

its always been true. the only issue before was calibration. and the Gs3 tackled that issue last year.

LCD Fanatics? Why should anyone be fanatic over something like that lol. Fact is that AMOLED oversatures colors by the nature of it. Not to mention the burn ins.

Do you even understand what I'm saying? AMOLED oversatures colors by the nature of it. Bravia Engine is software that alters collor settings (and it can be turned off).

I'm not going to argue about this point anymore because AMOLED screen technology has been reviewed numerous times over and over again with the same pros and cons for years now.

LCD Fanatics? Why should anyone be fanatic over something like that lol. Fact is that AMOLED oversatures colors by the nature of it. Not to mention the burn ins.

WTF does this mean? Do you know what color saturation is?

The colors on AMOLED look deeper because the blacks are perfect. LCD's washed out colors aren't natural or realistic. They're just washed out.

Cipherr

Fact is that AMOLED oversatures colors by the nature of it.

Those are issues with calibration. Samsung has previously set their colors that way, but that does not mean that OLED as a whole will always (or has always had) bad saturation issues man... You really need only look at the links in this thread to see the Note 2's calibration settings that give it fantastic color accuracy that rivals even the best LCD.

Fact is, once that is achieved, LCD loses a tremendous feather in its hat. At that point OLED has better contrast, crazy black levels and more. While LCD is left with brighter displays, which isn't much with the pace that OLED screens are gaining in that area as well.

No point in further argueing, you people have no idea what you're talking about.

Wow... errr.... Okay...

Do you even understand what I'm saying? AMOLED oversatures colors by the nature of it. Bravia Engine is software that alters collor settings (and it can be turned off).

I'm not going to argue about this point anymore because AMOLED screen technology has been reviewed numerous times over and over again with the same pros and cons for years now.

years and years

HOL DAT L

Keyword: Calibration

My sincere apologies for acting like a know-it-all, I was wrong on AMOLED and I have read up on it, I'm stuck in 2010. Great IQ on AMOLED nowdays.

Does anyone know if by Using the Adobe RBG settings if the white would be more white and less blue? Is this a calibration issue or a screen technology issue?

Also, how bad is the risk for screen burn in? The Best Buy demo units for the galaxy S III for example, have terrible burn in. Granted those devices run a demo Video 24/7.

Madness

Does anyone know if by Using the Adobe RBG settings if the white would be more white and less blue? Is this a calibration issue or a screen technology issue?

Also, how bad is the risk for screen burn in? The Best Buy demo units for the galaxy S III for example, have terrible burn in. Granted those devices run a demo Video 24/7.

Very little to none... And even then, a simple use of an all white screen will remove most burn in. I've used my galaxy s3, everyday for almost a year now. Sometimes 4-5 hours non stop. No burn in yet. It's really overblown.

Besides, it's like you said, those devices are on 24/7, most of the time, your screen will be off in your pocket, purse, jacket, whatever.

its a calibration issue, and from the recent reports, the LCD panels are actually cooler than the GS4.

no idea on burn in, even my over two year old Epic doesn't have it. i've seen pics of screens that were bad so it does happen to some people.

I take back what I said about phablets. I just tested a Galaxy S3 for a couple minutes and it's huge enough for me. The colours seemed somewhat off, though.

I might acquire a Galaxy S4 in the future.

My old Galaxy Nexus had some pretty bad burn in because of the damned Onscreen buttons. Fortunately the other Galaxy devices don't have that problem.

nib95

Banned
Galaxy S4 has different modes that help with color reproduction. GSMArena has a good comparison: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...firms-amoleds-can-finally-do-accurate-colors/

jbfhWfJdLF0bjZ.jpg

S4 - iPhone 5 - HTC One

Actually looks like the source is a Russian website here: http://hi-tech.mail.ru/review/misc/...ev.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Very interesting. So glad they added this mode. Important snippet.

GSM Arena said:
In terms of brightness the Galaxy S4 turned out inferior to the winning iPhone 5 screen, and the HTC One which followed closely. When it comes to white balance the Galaxy S4 in Film and Adobe RGB modes is closest to the desired 6500K color temperature while the iPhone 5 got about 7250K and the HTC One 8000K, both going for a colder color temperature.

When it comes to deep blacks and contrast the Super AMOLED retained its edge over the IPS LCDs it faced.

So basically, Adobe RGB mode white balance on the S4 is closer to accurate than even the iPhone 5 and HTC One? I'm kind of surprised by that.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
My sincere apologies for acting like a know-it-all, I was wrong on AMOLED and I have read up on it, I'm stuck in 2010. Great IQ on AMOLED nowdays.

Holy crap. Someone on this forum actually admitted being wrong and apologized? SHUT DOWN THE INTERNET!

TommyT

Wow, for $200 I might just have to bite! I'm enjoying the S3 even though the 4G is lacking in my area for work, but at that price it'll be tough to say no.

edit: Assuming Sprint is the same of course.

harSon

Banned
Wow, for $200 I might just have to bite! I'm enjoying the S3 even though the 4G is lacking in my area for work, but at that price it'll be tough to say no.

edit: Assuming Sprint is the same of course.

Isn't $200-250 standard?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It literally looks the same? How lame. I didnt wanna switch from my S2 to the S3 because i dislike the overtly iphone ish one button. Guess i'll wait for something else.

reKon

Banned
It literally looks the same? How lame. I didnt wanna switch from my S2 to the S3 because i dislike the overtly iphone ish one button. Guess i'll wait for something else.

not literally, but yeah very similar. Everything has been improved though, including the software unlike another very popular phone that I know of..

So I got my hands on the S4 today, the rep came in with it.

I gotta say, seeing it in pictures does it NO justice at all. The design, while looking similar is much improved over the old one. It does look a little more premium than even I gave it credit for when I first saw it. The metal band around the edge doesn't look as cheap as i'd first though either.

The screen on it is fantastic, and I changed it to adobe RGB and did notice a very subtle difference. i couldn't check out all the new features sadly as the rep said it had some butchered version of 4.2.2 on it and a lot of the features don't work.

Either way, you definitely have to see it in person before making up your mind. I think i'm still going to go with the HTC One, but it made the decision MUCH harder.

Top Bottom