• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Golgi_Apparati

Neo Member
I want this phone badly... My Bionic is on its last legs and I'm due for an upgrade. However, I still have unlimited data... If I upgrade I'll either have to pay full price or loose my dAta . So conflicted!

Well, How bad/noticeable is the drop in quality? Are there any alternatives?

well, it was on my cousin's GS3, not a GS4, and it's noticeable, but it wasn't terrible.

alternative is getting a case without the built in screen protector and applying one of the self-adhesive kind

usually, people get an otterbox case when their main concern is protection.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm a hardcore no-caser. Dropped this phone twice since I've had it and not even a scratch. Fortunate bounces I guess but quite impressive nonetheless.

Menelaus

Banned
iFont has been updated to overcome the factory borkedness of FlipFont!

Roboto Light is so freaking sexy, gives the OS a real sleek feeling (same font as the Twitter app).

obYVr9Y.png

RangersFan

I'm a hardcore no-caser. Dropped this phone twice since I've had it and not even a scratch. Fortunate bounces I guess but quite impressive nonetheless.

Same here which is why I went with the most minimal case in the spigen thin and a screen protector. I know I don't need one as the silicone backing and gorilla glass is enough protection as is but just thinking about potential resell value as I will probably be buying full retail phones until Verizon forces my unlimited plan away from me.

I'm supposed to be buying one from a guy I know today for $400. He is needing cash pretty bad and hates to sell but what can he do. I use a GS2 with a busted screen and love it. I buy and sell phones, electronics etc on the side and not sure if I will keep the GS4 or sell it, I figure I can make an easy 75-100 on it

Little off topic, but if I get this on T-mobile they don't throttle download speeds after a certain amount on the unlimited plan right?

Nemesis_

iFont has been updated to overcome the factory borkedness of FlipFont!

Roboto Light is so freaking sexy, gives the OS a real sleek feeling (same font as the Twitter app).

Where can I get Roboto Light?

Apologies if it's already been posted

Dre3001

Ok so I have a few questions about the S4

It looks amazing and the features blow me away but I have had a negative experience with Android in the past and want to know what has changed.

My last Android phone was a HTC EVO, the phone was awesome but shortly after it came out more high powered Nexus phones, Droids, etc started launching and within months the phone was outdated. Now this is nothing new as technology is always improving, but the problem I had was that back then it seemed like when newer phones were released the previous models were given the shaft.

Updates would be released for the newer phones and the older phones would have to wait months before receiving the same update, sometimes with features removed due to each manufacturers skin in the way.

I am not against rooting my phone but I would prefer to simply just use my phone stock and have it "just work".

Does the updating process still work in this manner?

Also another problem I had was after a few months my phone would constantly crash during apps, be very laggy, just overall slower.

Is this still a common problem with Android phones?

Ok so I have a few questions about the S4

It looks amazing and the features blow me away but I have had a negative experience with Android in the past and want to know what has changed.

My last Android phone was a HTC EVO, the phone was awesome but shortly after it came out more high powered Nexus phones, Droids, etc started launching and within months the phone was outdated. Now this is nothing new as technology is always improving, but the problem I had was that back then it seemed like when newer phones were released the previous models were given the shaft.

Updates would be released for the newer phones and the older phones would have to wait months before receiving the same update, sometimes with features removed due to each manufacturers skin in the way.

I am not against rooting my phone but I would prefer to simply just use my phone stock and have it "just work".

Does the updating process still work in this manner?

Also another problem I had was after a few months my phone would constantly crash during apps, be very laggy, just overall slower.

Is this still a common problem with Android phones?
if you want updates immediately, get a Google Experience device that is maintained by Google and sold on the Google Play Store. currently, that's just the LG Nexus 4, but soon there will be Google Experience Galaxy S4 and HTC One models available.

nobody has had a GS4 for a few months yet so we don't know if it will become laggy, slower and crash, but usually that sort of thing is due to a poorly coded 3rd party app.

I bought the Galaxy S4 a couple of days ago and so far I have everything I need on the phone, except one thing. On my old phone, the Droid X had an app or whatever called "Files". This app let me connect to the WiFi network within my home and connect to my computer. I was able to enter my username and password for my PC to wirelessly transfer files to and from my phone. However, I couldn't find this app in the Galaxy S4. Is there something that is similar to this for the Galaxy S4? I don't want anything that involves syncing, clouds, and other shit.

I bought the Galaxy S4 a couple of days ago and so far I have everything I need on the phone, except one thing. On my old phone, the Droid X had an app or whatever called "Files". This app let me connect to the WiFi network within my home and connect to my computer. I was able to enter my username and password for my PC to wirelessly transfer files to and from my phone. However, I couldn't find this app in the Galaxy S4. Is there something that is similar to this for the Galaxy S4? I don't want anything that involves syncing, clouds, and other shit.

well, since your post rules out stuff like Dropbox, you would need a 3rd party SMB app to do that on a GS4.

The GALAXY S4 Active has qualified protection from dust and water (IP67*), so you never have to leave the device at home during a long day at the beach or dusty hike. The fully sealed design keeps dust particles out and protects against water damage for up to 30 minutes of submergence at a depth of one meter. Equipped with a water-resistant earphone jack, the GALAXY S4 Active frees you to use earphones in more adventurous conditions, in the same way you’ve used them in normal ones. Whether capturing every moment of a wild rafting trip or taking a great underwater photo in the pool, the device’s unique construction lets users capture amazing moments previously impossible using a normal smartphone.

Featuring a 1.9 GHZ Quad-Core processor and 2,600mAh battery, the GALAXY S4 Active can handle the most intensive tasks with ease and precision. Striking color and stunning resolution on the device’s beautiful 5.0’’ Full HD TFT LCD screen (443 PPI) makes playing the newest games or watching hours of video easy on the eyes. And with ‘Glove Touch’, cold weather is no longer a problem since the touchscreen can be fully operated while wearing gloves.

With an 8-megapixel rear camera, users can easily share their vivid experiences while on the go. Unique to the GALAXY S4 Active camera, ‘Aqua Mode’ can be used to increase visual quality and clarity for enhanced underwater images and video. The volume key located on the side of the device can be used as a camera key, allowing users to easily and quickly open the camera application to capture photo and video the moment it happens. Additionally, the camera transforms into a powerful LED flash light to assist in low-light and nighttime activities with a simple long press of the volume key.

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2...ion-for-Exploration,-Activity-and-Adventure-1

only an 8MP camera...

BFIB

Little off topic, but if I get this on T-mobile they don't throttle download speeds after a certain amount on the unlimited plan right?

I'm a little over 10GB this month on my first month with T-Mobile (HTC One).

No throttling whatsoever.

BTW, awesome username and avatar.

Tested the camera just now, ok I guess but I am into dslrs so I would not ever use a cell phone camera for anything I seriously wanted a pic of

8962717311_8a5093f519_b.jpg

8961918541_77b625f47b_b.jpg

Menelaus

Banned
Same complaint as that guy and I'm trying SwiftKey at the moment - it is indeed much better than stock.

That said, where would I find the apk for the stock 4.2 keyboard? It works great on my N7 and I want to give it a try on the S4.

Just download JellyBean Keyboard from the market.

Nitsuj23

Anyone with an AT&T S4 get an update from them today? I didn't install it because I'm not sure if it'd interfere with me hopefully installing stock Android when the Google Play version comes out.

Yes, I am using that one.

Thanks man, I already have the card now I'm just waiting on the phone which is coming in today can't wait.

I'm looking for a non-cumbersome case for the phone. I have never used a case for any phone I've ever owned before but I think I want to get one for this one. Anyone have any feedback or reviews to share about this case here? If so, which color would you say is best? I'm contemplating dark grey, red, or just black..

Top Bottom