• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

What the shit, they're all mp3s! But I'll check out the play store.

For a long long time I felt exactly as you do. But there is simply no good all in one solution. I tried BeyondPod and loved it. I recommend buying it if you're a hard core podcast listener.

VPhys

WELL, I preordered the S4 in black off of Amazon for Verizon Wireless as soon as the listing went up. It was supposed to have shipped yesterday and arrived today, but I get an email this morning saying the new expected arrival date is JUNE 10th - JUNE 18th.

What the fuck.

I really hate that there is no where you can buy this phone in-store for retail price, it's contract upgrade everywhere and when I tried buying it through Verizon's online store - it would only show up in the store when I chose the option to upgrade.

Looks like I'm stuck with my droid charge for another month.

Have you tried a corporate store (not a "premium retailer")? I called yesterday and there didn't seem to be a problem paying full price for one.

RangersFan

WELL, I preordered the S4 in black off of Amazon for Verizon Wireless as soon as the listing went up. It was supposed to have shipped yesterday and arrived today, but I get an email this morning saying the new expected arrival date is JUNE 10th - JUNE 18th.

What the fuck.

I really hate that there is no where you can buy this phone in-store for retail price, it's contract upgrade everywhere and when I tried buying it through Verizon's online store - it would only show up in the store when I chose the option to upgrade.

hmm, that's strange. I was able to buy retail version on verizonwireless.com without having to select upgrade. you just choose month to month option and it'll display all the phones in retail price. was able to do this on the 22nd and had my phone in hand the next day by noon via fedex.

Menelaus

Banned
For a long long time I felt exactly as you do. But there is simply no good all in one solution. I tried BeyondPod and loved it. I recommend buying it if you're a hard core podcast listener.

Wife uses Beyondpod, I'm trying out Pocket Casts, and it's meeting my needs just fine for half the price. I think you'd have to be really hardcore about your podcasts to go wrong.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some basic usage questions for you Galaxy experts:

-Sometimes when I'm moving around on the screen it takes me back to home. I have no idea why. Seems to happen randomly when I'm hovering or maybe touching for 1-2 seconds? Is there some shortcut I'm not aware of?

-Any way to flip the back and menu buttons on the bottom?

-Can you customize the vibrate? I went to settings and changed to the heartbeat one but whenever I get an email it's still the long droning one. Would like to have different vibrate for different things, and definitely not the long one for email which always makes me think it's a call.

Menelaus

Banned
Totally in love with the animated photos

7bRCNnX.gif

Takuan

I'm using podkicker because it's free. Seems to suit my purposes just fine, but I only listen to 2 podcasts. There seem to be a lot f paid options out there for the "serious" user.

I've got an upgrade for my iPhone 4 and I'm ready to try something new. I can trade in this phone and get an S4 for about $140 it seems. Another option is that I could get the S3 for free, but I figure go big or go home.

I'm a bit skeptical, as I'm ready to try something new but I'm afraid I won't like android devices. I mainly use my iPhone to browse the web, check social sites like twitter and instagram, and play music (hopefully with some way to scrobble to last.fm heh). I figure at the least this phone will give me those basic services and everything else will be added bonuses. Any advice before I dive headfirst?

I've got an upgrade for my iPhone 4 and I'm ready to try something new. I can trade in this phone and get an S4 for about $140 it seems. Another option is that I could get the S3 for free, but I figure go big or go home.

I'm a bit skeptical, as I'm ready to try something new but I'm afraid I won't like android devices. I mainly use my iPhone to browse the web, check social sites like twitter and instagram, and play music (hopefully with some way to scrobble to last.fm heh). I figure at the least this phone will give me those basic services and everything else will be added bonuses. Any advice before I dive headfirst?

doit.gif

RangersFan

Loving this phone so far. The screen is stunning. Muliple window viewing is great and smart stay is well smart. Cant believe I used my last phone as long as I did (droid 3). Just being able to use chrome was enough, but all the improvements overall to android is eye opening. I shake my head just thinking about how I thought I needed a physical keyboard but the keyboard on this is great. Best phone camera I've ever seen as well. Glad I went with the full retail version too. I'll definitely be using data more on the go now that I actualy have a functional browser.

What the fuck.

You can go to any Verizon corporate store and pay full price for anything inside. That's how I bought my Note II back in November.

I ordered one of these babies to replace my S2 which has gone to shit over the last few months. Any recommended hard back type covers? Something classy preferably

NZNova

OK. Question time.

Every now and then (it's happened twice now) my S4 isn't responsive - just a black screen. Open the cover, press the power button, nothing. I have to hold down the power button to switch it off, then release it and hold it down again to get it to turn back on. I asked a colleague at work and he said the same thing had happened to him on his Note 2. Is this a common problem?

scosher

Just picked up the S4 from Verizon the other day, replacing my old Motorola Droid 2. Absolutely loving it, especially the screen.

Few questions though as I've been tweaking it:

1) Why is there no Wifi toggle in the notification panel? Seems to have everything else.
2) I have multiple email accounts (personal, work, etc.). I set them all up correctly, but I can only access them through the one e-mail app, and I have to go into the app to switch between accounts. Is there a way to setup a shortcut on the home screen to go to a specific e-mail accounts' inbox? I see no 1x1 widget for that. My last Droid separated each inbox for me and I miss/need that function :(

Just picked up the S4 from Verizon the other day, replacing my old Motorola Droid 2. Absolutely loving it, especially the screen.

Few questions though as I've been tweaking it:

1) Why is there no Wifi toggle in the notification panel? Seems to have everything else.
2) I have multiple email accounts (personal, work, etc.). I set them all up correctly, but I can only access them through the one e-mail app, and I have to go into the app to switch between accounts. Is there a way to setup a shortcut on the home screen to go to a specific e-mail accounts' inbox? I see no 1x1 widget for that. My last Droid separated each inbox for me and I miss/need that function :(
Because Verizon.

They don't let you turn it off.

xXJonoXx

I am seriously interested in changing from an iPhone 4S to a Galaxy S4 on May 31st when I can upgrade for $200. I feel like iOS is too stale these days and I really like the customization options I hear so much about on Android.

I have two questions though:

#1. I have Verizon. My friend recently bought a Verizon Note II and he says there are weird things that are missing/disabled on the Verizon version of this phone that other carrier's versions of the Note II have. Is there anything like this on the GS4 on Verizon?

#2. I am interested in the white version of the GS4, but I like the idea of an easily replaceable rear cover, and the different colors that can be purchased. I see Samsung makes an official "Flip cover" in Pink but I do not like the actual "flip" part of the case, just the back cover being Pink. I've looked at tons of reviews and videos on YouTube and I cannot find anyone who mentions this: Is the flip/front cover part easily removable from the rear back cover? I'm not really interested in a full case that covers the phone or a fake Chinese knockoff from eBay.

#1. I have Verizon. My friend recently bought a Verizon Note II and he says there are weird things that are missing/disabled on the Verizon version of this phone that other carrier's versions of the Note II have. Is there anything like this on the GS4 on Verizon?

Probably. Fortunately it's easy to root the GS4 and remove the stupid Verizon changes. I did it on my Note II, I am now running a mostly Verizon-free device. I kept NFL Mobile, because you know free streaming radio of NFL games during the season.

Because Verizon.

They don't let you turn it off.

Yeah, this was the #1 thing that pissed me off about the stock Verizon build. Ongoing WiFi Notification + No Toggle = Fuck You Verizon. It's easy to take off and nuke the Ongoing WiFi bullshit from orbit after rooting though. It's the only way to be sure.

Takuan

Any deals on the Spigen case or other case recommendations? I dropped the blasted thing on concrete this weekend (slipped out of my front pocket as I bent over to grab something), so I really need to get some protection as a safeguard against further stupidity.

Takuan

I use the Elago G7 and like it enough for an $8 case. I won't feel guilty when I break it and need another.

This has me a little worried:
Amazon Review said:
I immediately tried it on with my phone and it looked beautiful! BUT when it was time for me to try on my other cases, I had to take this off and it was a pain in the ass but that wasn't the part that angered me.. it SCRATCHED the sides of my phone! I was so upset.. my phone is brand new and within 1 week the bezels are scratched.

Although I already have a dent and a few scratches on the bezel, anyway...

I am seriously interested in changing from an iPhone 4S to a Galaxy S4 on May 31st when I can upgrade for $200. I feel like iOS is too stale these days and I really like the customization options I hear so much about on Android.

I have two questions though:

well, it has the ongoing wifi notification in the notifications pulldown and the blocking mode (DND) menu is removed. dunno if they also messed around with the available apps in the multitasking menu like in the Note 2.

#2. I am interested in the white version of the GS4, but I like the idea of an easily replaceable rear cover, and the different colors that can be purchased. I see Samsung makes an official "Flip cover" in Pink but I do not like the actual "flip" part of the case, just the back cover being Pink. I've looked at tons of reviews and videos on YouTube and I cannot find anyone who mentions this: Is the flip/front cover part easily removable from the rear back cover? I'm not really interested in a full case that covers the phone or a fake Chinese knockoff from eBay.

the flip covers are one piece, you can't detach the cover from the back.

Wads

Banned
It's going to live its entire life in a case...I personally couldn't care less, I just want it protected from drops.

I would be really irritated if that happened because of a case. I don't really care myself, but it would piss me off come resale time and I'm typically not one to hold onto a phone for more than a year.

I would be really irritated if that happened because of a case. I don't really care myself, but it would piss me off come resale time and I'm typically not one to hold onto a phone for more than a year.

>Selling your old phones
>Not keeping them so you can multi-box phone games

VPhys

Came back from Verizon store with my $700 S4 yesterday. Coming from a Galaxy Nexus my first impression is that the phone is fast and much smoother than my Nexus. I thought 4.1 was supposed to fix this?

Anyway, I was surprised the phone comes with what appears to be some decent IEMs (at least for a pack in). I haven't opened them yet and may just keep it sealed for purposes of selling later when I upgrade from this phone.

Most of the advertised features are not activated by default. Eye scrolling for example, you have to enable this in the menu. It does appear gimmicky and simply using my finger is much faster and more responsive. An interesting thing, it's not really eye scrolling but the phone directs you to move your entire head down or up to scroll. Also, it only works with the stock browser from what I can tell; it doesn't work with Chrome (which the phone comes with preinstalled.)

Coming from the Nexus I expected the screen size difference to be more apparent. It isn't and as a result I'm actually eyeing the Note 3 and may upgrade to that once it's released. Hopefully I can get at least $500 for the S4.

Got this case from amazon and it does the trick perfectly. It's funny when you see cases at the Verizon Store or in Mall Kiosks that are the exact same thing but cost 4x the price.

reKon

Banned
Came back from Verizon store with my $700 S4 yesterday. Coming from a Galaxy Nexus my first impression is that the phone is fast and much smoother than my Nexus. I thought 4.1 was supposed to fix this?

Anyway, I was surprised the phone comes with what appears to be some decent IEMs (at least for a pack in). I haven't opened them yet and may just keep it sealed for purposes of selling later when I upgrade from this phone.

Most of the advertised features are not activated by default. Eye scrolling for example, you have to enable this in the menu. It does appear gimmicky and simply using my finger is much faster and more responsive. An interesting thing, it's not really eye scrolling but the phone directs you to move your entire head down or up to scroll. Also, it only works with the stock browser from what I can tell; it doesn't work with Chrome (which the phone comes with preinstalled.)

Coming from the Nexus I expected the screen size difference to be more apparent. It isn't and as a result I'm actually eyeing the Note 3 and may upgrade to that once it's released. Hopefully I can get at least $500 for the S4.

Got this case from amazon and it does the trick perfectly. It's funny when you see cases at the Verizon Store or in Mall Kiosks that are the exact same thing but cost 4x the price.

I've had a nexus and now an HTC One. For me, this big screen was pretty apparent because it's like the whole phone.

I haven't bought a camera in the last couple of years so I assume this is a standard feature nowadays, but still, holy shit at the S4's HDR mode.

So I count FIVE ways of launching an app: App screen; home screen; shortcut at bottom of home screen; shortcut on lock screen; Favorite App widget on lock screen. Nice to have all these options, but it's poking at my micromanaging nature a bit :p

BFIB

My wife just called. She got an S4 last week, and this morning, she called me telling me her screen is full of "blotches".

Anyone done the return process yet? She's with ATT, so we're just going to run up to the store. Hopefully its a quick flip.

My wife just called. She got an S4 last week, and this morning, she called me telling me her screen is full of "blotches".

Anyone done the return process yet? She's with ATT, so we're just going to run up to the store. Hopefully its a quick flip.

Blotches? Are they black ink blotches when viewing a completely black screen?

BFIB

Blotches? Are they black ink blotches when viewing a completely black screen?

Made sure to have her verify that.

Nope, she said its basically like when an old LCD is pressed hard. Not sure what caused it, but she said she took it to work and noticed it once she got into the office.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Made sure to have her verify that.

Nope, she said its basically like when an old LCD is pressed hard. Not sure what caused it, but she said she took it to work and noticed it once she got into the office.

Could be it's damaged. Did she drop it? Crush it in the purse/pocket? Hopefully not, as warranty probably wont cover that.

BFIB

Could be it's damaged. Did she drop it? Crush it in the purse/pocket? Hopefully not, as warranty probably wont cover that.

I'm not sure, I haven't seen it yet. She said she just had it in her purse as usual, so I'm not sure what could have caused it to crush that hard. She said there aren't any cracks on the screen or anything.

She called ATT, and they said to just bring it up and swap it out, so it sounds like it won't be an issue getting replaced. Never heard of this though, even on S3's.

nib95

Banned
This phone is a device that keeps on giving. A few new things I've used lately that have been either super fun or of great use.

Animated shot | Absolutely hilarious. Shooting GIF's is one thing, but tinkering with the settings is even better. The default gif plus reverse is hilarious. Watching people doing things backwards doing the silliest things is a joy.

Action shot | Doesn't work super well unless you're in good light and have a good frame, but the results are excellent when you get it right. You can have sequences of the funniest crap ever.

Translator | Needed English to French (and back again) translation and this worked marvellously. Took a few minutes to download the full English and French translation packs, but after that, picked up English and French perfectly without the need to type. Says them back out realistically too. Never had an easier time communicating in a foreign language.

Optical Reader | We have dozens of bookings come through our home PC, which we have to either print out or give details over the phone to our restaurant. The optical reader on this device lets us take a snap shot of the email, get only the text we want from the email (using the box selector) and immediately text, whatsapp etc the booking over to the manager. Fact that it stays on our own device is also a bonus. Super quick and efficient.

Optical reader dictionary | My dads English is a bit average, and every now and again he'll get an email or read an article with a word that he doesn't understand. Using the Optical Reader dictionary mode, you just hover the target over any word and it gives you the dictionary definition and examples overlayed over the screen. Pretty easy and efficient.

Random titbits, but useful or fun none-the-less.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Asking this one again since it's getting kind of annoying. No idea why the default buzz for notifications would be basically the same as the default buzz for calls on other devices in terms of length.

-Can you customize the vibrate? I went to settings and changed to the heartbeat one but whenever I get an email it's still the long droning one. Would like to have different vibrate for different things, and definitely not the long one for email which always makes me think it's a call.

Menelaus

Banned
Asking this one again since it's getting kind of annoying. No idea why the default buzz for notifications would be basically the same as the default buzz for calls on other devices in terms of length.

Not without a program like Lightflow.

Menelaus

Banned
While stuck in traffic this morning, I noticed conditions were ripe to test the HDR mode: foreground too dark, sky too bright.

Auto mode:

HDR mode:

Very impressive! Handles HDR much better than the iPhone, which tends to just blow whites out even more. You can see it pulls much more details out of the clouds, as well as makes the dash brighter and instrument panel much more readable.

Top Bottom