• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Okay, so balls to switching carriers. That's way too much money.

What are the chances of the S IV coming to Wal-Mart's T-Mobile plan?
100% since you just buy the phone outright and slap your current sim card in.

.GqueB.

Banned
Front facing speakers. Pretty much everyone thinks the One is better designed.

Wxiu+

Those speakers uglied up that phone real good. Anyways, just found my next phone. GOODBYE DROID INCREDIBLE!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wouldn't I be paying retail price, though?
Yes. It's either that or triple your monthly bill. You're paying retail through one payment or two years of payments.

You're not getting the phone for $200 and keeping your $30 plan. Google the concept of subsidization.

Yes. It's either that or triple your monthly bill. You're paying retail through one payment or two years of payments.

You're not getting the phone for $200 and keeping your $30 plan. Google the concept of subsidization.

Got it, thank you. I'll just buy it at retail price then. The extra $20 per month (if I went with a $50 Verizon plan) would add up to $480 in two years anyway, so I guess it's not a bad deal, right?

Bboy AJ

Got it, thank you. I'll just buy it at retail price then. The extra $20 per month would add up to $480 in two years anyway, so I guess it's not a bad deal, right?
Right. That's what many people, like me, do. It's not the most popular choice but it is the most financially sound choice.

Cipherr

Wouldn't I be paying retail price, though?

Yeah, its that, or high monthly bills. Can't have it both ways unfortunately. Over time its cheaper to buy the phone outright and use a cheaper plan like the T-Mobile one. But when people don't want to drop $700 at once, they tend to be more open to paying $70 a month or so instead for two years. This is also why the Nexus phones are awesome. They work with TMobile, and they have good specs with Vanilla Android, and you can get one for $299 or $349 retail, thats as close to having it both ways as you can get.

Someone smart help me (so all of GAF ♥):

I'm not very smart when it comes to phones and phone plans and carriers since I'm still under a family plan. I'm under a Wal-Mart plan through T-Mobile so I'm assuming I won't be able to get this phone at all with this plan.

If I were to switch carriers entirely to one that offers the S IV, what would I be looking at in terms of price? Like, if I jump on board with a new carrier, am I allowed to get a new phone at the low price (contract or whatever)? I have no clue how this works.

if you're under the Walmart plan with a phone that has a T-Mobile SIM, you can use this phone with it if you get the T-Mobile version, or, if it has the T-Mobile AWS bands, the international version. you would have to pay full price if you did that though...

if you were to switch to a contract carrier, the price would be somewhere between $200-$300 with a 2 year contract. you would save money in the long run buying the phone up front, but the $700-800 upfront cost scares people despite the math showing it's in their favor.

3N16MA

Banned
It's almost like Samsung knows it will sell despite the cheap materials and look. What am I saying? Samsung knows exactly that because in the Android world they're king shit.

LEGGZZZZ

I think the Note 3 is what will really blow everyone away. As someone said before, it is really kinda of the true flagship, at least as far a innovation goes on the galaxy line. Due to it's size, much more features can be added since it's the middle ground of a phone and tablet, unlike the S4. We'll see, but even if they just increase the screen size to 6 inches, and make the stylus longer, I be pretty much content. 1080p on the Note 3 will be glorious.

I can't imagine it actually being 6.3 inches though, I think the rumor of a 5.9 inch size is more realistic (though I don't know why they just wouldn't bump it up to 6 inches).

It's almost like Samsung knows it will sell despite the cheap materials and look. What am I saying? Samsung knows exactly that because in the Android world they're king shit.

well the market for pretty looking trophy flagship handsets is pretty stacked. we've got Zs and ZLs and Ones... while the market for removable battery sd card ready flagships is wide open for Samsung to run a marathon on...

Most likely May.

May is Motorola X-Phone time. look for the new Nexus in November.

El_Chino

well the market for pretty looking trophy flagship handsets is pretty stacked. we've got Zs and ZLs and Ones... while the market for removable battery sd card ready flagships is wide open for Samsung to run a marathon on...

May is Motorola X-Phone time. look for the new Nexus in November.

Ah you're right! I confused the two for a second. My mistake.

I don't see any good reason to shit on the Sony Z and ZL. They seem like pretty compelling devices for the "I need my phone to look pretty in my hand" crowd and they run a very close-to-stock Android and they are waterproof! They also have the Sony EXMOR sensor cameras that the S4 will be using and they have very decent battery life.

HTC is dead meat though, the One is absolutely DOA at this point. Average battery life, smaller screen but the phone is still big, not waterproof, bad camera, Sense is still wretched and it also copies Windows Phone even though no one on Earth asked for that, the button arrangement is hilariously retarded and awful, and HTC can't even ship them in any quantity.

plainr_

Waterproof would be like #1039 on my list of determining factors when choosing a phone. Do you go diving with it or something?

Not necessarily.

I feel the opposite. Built in precautionary features and durability is among the top five factors when choosing a phone. I'm also the type of person who does not like having a case housing my electronics. It's got to look and perform nice but also needs to be tough under extreme conditions and in case of accidental damage. That peace of mind is worth it for sure.

Spy

I wanted to ditch my iPhone but I'm thinking I'll wait until late this year when the new flagship phones come up. Looking at Sony in particular to see what the successor to the Xperia Z will be like.

Mung

Phew, glad I took the plunge with the Z now. Nothing here makes me regret that purchase. Especially that rear cyclops look.

THRILLH0

Banned
Embarrassing that the HTC One is larger than the S4, but has a smaller screen and a smaller battery.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Lol no. The One's industrial design shits all over the S4.

On another note, this thread proves that 70% of people care more about showing off the fact that they have a new phone that what the phone can actually do.

"It looks the same. No reason to upgrade"

Now THAT'S embarrassing.

Mung

On another note, this thread proves that 70% of people care more about showing off the fact that they have a new phone that what the phone can actually do.

Now THAT'S embarrassing.

Why? Looks matter. That's the same with almost anything, whether its cars, clothes, girlfriends (lol)...

I don't see any good reason to shit on the Sony Z and ZL. They seem like pretty compelling devices for the "I need my phone to look pretty in my hand" crowd and they run a very close-to-stock Android and they are waterproof! They also have the Sony EXMOR sensor cameras that the S4 will be using and they have very decent battery life.

HTC is dead meat though, the One is absolutely DOA at this point. Average battery life, smaller screen but the phone is still big, not waterproof, bad camera, Sense is still wretched and it also copies Windows Phone even though no one on Earth asked for that, the button arrangement is hilariously retarded and awful, and HTC can't even ship them in any quantity.

why do they even make the Z? it's waterproof and dustproof? really? REALLY?

the ZL is nice.

wow, that's laggier than my GS1 running CM 10.1, i guess it's time to pack it up Samsung.

I wanted to ditch my iPhone but I'm thinking I'll wait until late this year when the new flagship phones come up. Looking at Sony in particular to see what the successor to the Xperia Z will be like.

i dunno what it will look like, but it better be running a Snapdragon 800 and not a 600 when everyone is moving on to 800.

Now THAT'S embarrassing.

and the worst part is it doesn't even look the same!

Akira

Is the Touchwiz' color theme customizable or have a dark theme? I wonder why Samsung would make the menus predominantly light/white and show off the exaggerated bluish whites. Common sense would be make it dark like stock Android to show off the strengths of its OLED screen, like how the Galaxy Nexus was complimented by the dark theme of Android stock.

I don't understand why Samsung keeps vomiting out shity designs like this. They want to be Apple so bad but they can't nail the one thing that Apple actually got right.

bidguy

Banned
Shit im so disappointed that they went that route with the design again.
Plastic everywhere ... Well atleast I can keep my S3 now.

Rhindle

I don't understand why Samsung keeps vomiting out shity designs like this. They want to be Apple so bad but they can't nail the one thing that Apple actually got right.
Well, they are further emulating Apple by not bothering to change their design even slightly.

I guess this is now the permanent Galaxy "look" and we're not going to see anything other than minor annual variations on it.

I don't get why Samsung can't release a phone that isn't wrapped in a cheap plastic shell.

I've had the S3, I've had the One X, and now I have an iPhone 5. Build wise the S3 was by far the worst of the bunch.

If a tiny company (compared to Samsung) like HTC can make a quality phone using quality materials, why can't Samsung? Even the Sony Z looks leaps and bounds better.

NateDrake

A decent upgrade, but nothing major that makes me feel my GS3 is greatly inferior. I can stick with my GS3 for a few more years, I think.

Well, they are further emulating Apple by not bothering to change their design even slightly.

I guess this is now the permanent Galaxy "look" and we're not going to see anything other than minor annual variations on it.

but they changed their design more than slightly. seriously, some people look at the glass back Z and glass back G and metal unibody One and then turn around and say Samsung is emulating Apple?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Think I'll hold off till this s3 contract ends
I don't wanna be one of those people who buy a phone every year, the s3 hasn't failed me yet

The corners are more squared now, matching the appearance of the Note II. This lets them increase the size of the screen without dramatically increasing the size of the phone.

Top Bottom