• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung's Galaxy S8 facial recognition feature defeated with digital photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Samsung's Galaxy S8 facial recognition feature defeated with digital photo

20805-23103-170331-S8-l.jpg

Samsung with its Galaxy S8 introduced a new device unlock feature based on facial recognition software, but it seems all it takes to bypass the low-level security layer is a photo of a registered user.

As seen in the video below, YouTuber Marcianotech was able to spend some time with the Galaxy S8 at Samsung's launch event on Thursday. After a few minutes of playing with the device, he was able to successfully defeat the handset's facial recognition function with a picture of his face (captured on another S8 no less).

It seems that Samsung's biometric security feature relies on image fingerprinting or similar methods of recognizing prominent features in a captured image. These techniques use complex algorithms to measure the size, shape and distances between a user's eyes, nose, and mouth, as well as other identifying facial features.

Since such systems use common 2D cameras, they can be defeated using 2D images. There are, however, technologies that help bolster 2D facial recognition solutions. For example, facial motion capture might be applied to detect whether or not a target face is moving, bettering the chances that received imagery depicts a live human face rather than a photo or video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rCOZNqYq0

Peterthumpa

Worth saying that this is not their main unlock feature - there's still iris scanning and fingerprint scanning.

Pepiope

Meh. This will still probably be the fastest way to unlock the phone. If it's ever stolen, it'd be by someone who isn't going to have a close up of my face to break in.

Magwik

Banned
Meh. This will still probably be the fastest way to unlock the phone. If it's ever stolen, it'd be by someone who isn't going to have a close up of my face to break in.

I honestly don't see how it can be faster than my thumbprint on my S7. Shit's fast.

Worth saying that this is not their main unlock feature - there's still iris scanning and fingerprint scanning.

Yes, I'm seeing this feature as just a quick way to keep your phone secure while still maintaining a fast unlock to the home screen. For those that want the added security fingerprint scanning and iris scanning provide, those are still there.

Windows hello uses a 3D image of the face to create the key to open the computer. It is used by a combination of 2 cameras with one using infrared. You have to create a perfect scale model of your face to be able to unlock a windows hello device. The Samsung Galaxy s8 looks like a great device, but they seemed to have fucked up the fingerprint placement. I also don't like the speaker placement or the lack of camera upgrade.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I feel like s8 was rushed out. The screen seems like the only great feature compared to upgrading from an s7e.

I think i can wait for the s9.

Windows hello uses a 3D image of the face to create the key to open the computer. It is used by a combination of 2 cameras with one using infrared. You have to create a perfect scale model of your face to be able to unlock a windows hello device. The Samsung Galaxy s8 looks like a great device, but they seemed to have fucked up the fingerprint placement. I also don't like the speaker placement or the lack of camera upgrade.
Technically it is an upgrade, it's a Sony camera now. The speakers, are headset and bottom, who stands their phone up listening to music?

Xe4

Banned
I wonder if there's a way to include multiple forms of login, say a fingerprint and code. You know, something you have and something you know. Does anyone know if this is the case?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there's a way to include multiple forms of login, say a fingerprint and code. You know, something you have and something you know. Does anyone know if this is the case?

The technology just isn't there yet.

SU01S6Zl.png

Izayoi

Banned
Who doesn't use finger prints? The only people I know who don't are those with old/cheap phones.
Yep. Fingerprint locks are the absolute best.

Maybe the iris scanner will get there some day? Harder to fool than a facial unlock, for sure.

Donos

My mom has been unlocking my dad's phone like this since the S4.

Yeah was thinking that. Face unlock is pretty old and with that the possibility of unlocking it with pictures...

Fingerprint ftw. One of the best things on my htc10

Dhx

Facial recognition in this context has always been low security. News at 11. Sometimes (all times) I really despise our hot take culture.

Hot Take Culture is Leading to Idiocracy! Read the Top Ten Reasons Why!

Alienfan

This is different from the new iris scanner right?
Almost every Android has this forever, it's even marked as less secure, not sure why it's news really. It's not supposed to be secure, just fast

This is different from the new iris scanner right?
Almost every Android has this forever, it's even marked as less secure, not sure why it's news really. It's not supposed to be secure, just fast

This.

Not every unlock feautre is supposed to provide absolute max security. And as someone already said, I'm pretty sure my S3 had this.

If it's the infa red iris scanner that can be tricked with a pic then we're talking about something.

Also, as the one person in the world who ever used s-fit or whatever it's called, the finger print scanner being where the heart rate monitor was placed is no problem. I have big hands though.

Donos

Fingerprint (with pin) is really the best mix of speed and every day "security". Friends with older phones are still in awe how fast it works. And i don't have to stare into the camera.
Also more and more apps are offering login over fp. Still notna friend of home/fp sensor on the back

Fliesen

My main issue with this isn't the fact that it's easily tricked - per se.

But the fact that they're introducing a new feature that is a step back from any security feature before it - being a 4 digit passcode or the fingerprint.

There's definitely gonna be people who will believe this will serve as a "security feature" for their phones (it's being marketed as such), when it actually isn't really. - it's a convenience feature, mostly.

With barely any benefit on a mobile phone, imho - as opposed to Windows devices or gaming consoles, where facial detection also logs you into the correct user's account / profile

Arjayes

Banned
I plan on using it tbh.

I keep my phone on me at all times. The only time I can imagine this working against me is:

1) I misplace my phone and my friend decides to break into it using a random picture of my face. (Why?)
2) I'm sleeping, my girlfriend suspects me of infidelity, and wants to check for herself. (Nothing there. Time to break up)
3) My mom just wants to be Ms. Curious and see what I'm doing. (She would never)

In my personal life I don't see this being a problem despite the low security. If it were a problem I'd just put in a password, use my fingerprint, or use the iris scanner.

My main issue with this isn't the fact that it's easily tricked - per se.

But the fact that they're introducing a new feature that is a step back from any security feature before it - being a 4 digit passcode or the fingerprint.

There's definitely gonna be people who will believe this will serve as a "security feature" for their phones (it's being marketed as such), when it actually isn't really. - it's a convenience feature, mostly.

With barely any benefit on a mobile phone, imho - as opposed to Windows devices or gaming consoles, where facial detection also logs you into the correct user's account / profile

Samsung actually said this was the least secure method of unlocking your phone. They're not hiding the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom