• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

It get referenced at the final episode with the Scotsman. He only remembers it when the writers want him to.

Not to mention he jumps pretty high at times during the new episodes.

It's a cartoon after all, I'm actually surprised at how much continuity is there with the older stuff.

It get referenced at the final episode with the Scotsman. He only remembers it when the writers want him to.

ok so apparently it is canon, just extremely inconsistent lmao. But at the end of that episode he would have in theory cut down Aku and rescued a portal he was playing keep away from Jack.

Veelk

Banned
ok so apparently it is canon, just extremely inconsistent lmao. But at the end of that episode he would have in theory cut down Aku and rescued a portal he was playing keep away from Jack.

Aku probably just crushed the portal and then gtfo'd, like he's done in many episodes. Aku can survive a lot of hits, it just hurts like shit.

But yeah, it should be consistent.

A weak aspect of the season I hope they fix is Aku being almost non existent in the show. I hope that by learning that Jack lost his sword he turns into the cocky 'samurai foooooooool' Aku that goes around mocking and fighting him.

A.J.

Banned
Honestly I kind of hated this episode.
It was a disappointing wrap up to the "grim reaper" haunting Jack because this entire plot line exists off the contrived reason of Jack not checking to see if those kids actually died. Like on of them literally woke up 5 seconds later. Like I get having nostalgia and I get wanting this assassin character to go through the arc but it just felt like they pretty much forced it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Honestly I kind of hated this episode.
It was a disappointing wrap up to the "grim reaper" haunting Jack because this entire plot line exists off the contrived reason of Jack not checking to see if those kids actually died. Like on of them literally woke up 5 seconds later. Like I get having nostalgia and I get wanting this assassin character to go through the arc but it just felt like they pretty much forced it.

The grim reaper was haunting him before he freaks out over the "dead" blue kids. That just seemed like the straw that broke the camels back for Jack.

A.J.

Banned
The grim reaper was haunting him before he freaks out over the "dead" blue kids. That just seemed like the straw that broke the camels back for Jack.

I just think it would have been better if the straw that broke the camel's back wasn't Jack caring about these kids lives while simultaneously being negligent to their lives by not even confirming the death Like maybe you can say that Jack was looking for a reason to kill himself, but he still backed off from suicide when he found out the kids didn't die. Like this entire grim reaper plot line was wrapped up because of of something created from Jack's negligence and misunderstanding instead of actual tragedy. That and this negligence continues to characterize Jack as surprisingly unsavvy for someone who has lived in this world so long.

I just think it would have been better if the straw that broke the camel's back wasn't Jack caring about these kids lives while simultaneously being negligent to their lives by not even confirming the death Like maybe you can say that Jack was looking for a reason to kill himself, but he still backed off from suicide when he found out the kids didn't die. Like this entire grim reaper plot line was wrapped up because of of something created from Jack's negligence and misunderstanding instead of actual tragedy. That and this negligence continues to characterize Jack as surprisingly unsavvy for someone who has lived in this world so long.
The issue was that after dealing with these depressing topics fantastically for episodes 1 and 2, even episode 3 with the psycho jack, this episode kind of fumbled majorly.

HStallion

This is a guy who for 50 years has been fighting an unwinnable battle and the mental toll is on him has been staggering. He's to the point he's constantly seeing the people he couldn't save and other constant visual and auditory hallucinations. The tragedy is in the fact that Jack is so far gone he coudln't even take 5 seconds to deal with the situation at hand and think about but totally lost it even more so.

Nordicus

This is still Jack.

The same Jack that saw rocks as children begging for help and had to get smacked to get his head back together.

I can buy the negligence. May have been PTSD suddenly kicking in, or heck, the panic attacks may have been induced by the horseman.
The tragedy is in the fact that Jack is so far gone he coudln't even take 5 seconds to deal with the situation at hand and think about but totally lost it even more so.
Precisely.

Now, the horseman itself is incredibly lame because in the end, the horseman does not seem to come from Jack's actions or his mental state, nor has any relevance to the greater mythology of the universe.

For all we know, it's just a random trolling spirit that Jack managed to pick in Bumfuck Nowhere, during year Aku's Taint. The horseman ended up adding nothing.

TheFlow

Banned
I like the horseman. We already knew he wasn't the cause of jack losing his sword. So had to be in jacks mind or some type of evil spirit

caliph95

Heh, did anyone see Astro from Jetson and Popeye in this lol

slowpoke_pokemon.gif

sorry

A.J.

Banned
This is a guy who for 50 years has been fighting an unwinnable battle and the mental toll is on him has been staggering. He's to the point he's constantly seeing the people he couldn't save and other constant visual and auditory hallucinations. The tragedy is in the fact that Jack is so far gone he coudln't even take 5 seconds to deal with the situation at hand and think about but totally lost it even more so.
Yet he still bounces back quickly when he is told they aren't dead. They don't play the conclusion with the weight of someone who has faced 50 hard years. Because the kids being alive wouldn't have mattered and he just would have wanted a way out. And no one brings up the fact that leaving a bunch of unconscious children on the floor of an evil factory is still kind of a failure in its own right. That would have been an interesting discussion for this episode.

HStallion

Yet he still bounces back quickly when he is told they aren't dead. They don't play the conclusion with the weight of someone who has faced 50 hard years. Because the kids being alive wouldn't have mattered and he just would have wanted a way out. And no one brings up the fact that leaving a bunch of unconscious children on the floor of an evil factory is still kind of a failure in its own right. That would have been an interesting discussion for this episode.

You keep talking like he was in the right state of mind. He was already pretty frayed mentally in general and had just come across another scene of death and devastation of people he'd once known and then gone through a pretty harrowing and physical battle with children driven berserk trying to tear him apart. How they handled the horned Samurai after that is one thing but Jack making the decision he did seems pretty on the mark for a guy who has been suffering 5 decades of PTSD and was freaking the fuck out.

Toxi

Banned
Rewatching the old series, I wish we had more glimpses into Jack's childhold and training. In addition to the season 5 flashback to his father fighting robbers, we got the flashback to the Tibetan monastery in the Blind Archers, the flashback in Jack in Egypt, and Young Jack in Africa. Are there any others I missed?

HStallion

Rewatching the old series, I wish we had more glimpses into Jack's childhold and training. We got the flashback to the Tibetan monastery in the Blind Archers, the flashback in Jack in Egypt, and Young Jack in Africa. Are there any others I missed?

A big part of the first 3 episodes was about Jack's training.

Toxi

Banned
A big part of the first 3 episodes was about Jack's training.
Whoops, I meant past those. :p

I guess all of them kinda would be similar to Young Jack in Africa though. Jack is anxious about new home, gets reassured by new family, makes friends, becomes a badass in whatever discipline he's learning, then has to leave to next kingdom.

On a side note, Young Jack in Africa apparently takes place in an alternate version of reality where riding a giraffe, zebra, or hippo won't get you instantly grinded into a fine red dust.

Veelk

Banned
Whoops, I meant past those. :p

I guess all of them kinda would be similar to Young Jack in Africa though. Jack is anxious about new home, gets reassured by new family, makes friends, becomes a badass in whatever discipline he's learning, then has to leave to next kingdom.

On a side note, Young Jack in Africa apparently takes place in an alternate version of reality where riding a giraffe, zebra, or hippo won't get you instantly grinded into a fine red dust.

As opposed your naturally friendly white wolves who will allow you to crash at their cave when wounded and share food with you.

A.J.

Banned
You keep talking like he was in the right state of mind. He was already pretty frayed mentally in general and had just come across another scene of death and devastation of people he'd once known and then gone through a pretty harrowing and physical battle with children driven berserk trying to tear him apart. How they handled the horned Samurai after that is one thing but Jack making the decision he did seems pretty on the mark for a guy who has been suffering 5 decades of PTSD and was freaking the fuck out.
I'm not saying he wasn't in a good state of mind and this would have been a good plotline if the trigger for Jack to give up wasn't so dumb. It woild have been more interesting if the destroyed village was his trigger since it was people Aku killed and he could have prevented. Heck he should have gotten triggered at what's her face being punched out two episodes ago since he doesn't know the difference between unconscious and dead. What's more insulting is that he knew the kids chips were about to be shut down.

Irrational or not we have no tension in this scene since we know the kids aren't dead and we basically get the most bog standard conclusion to this plot. There is barely any reason to feel conflicted about Jack since we know he didn't kill the children and the fact that his negligence to them in that situation is a problem is never touched on. Despite all its attempts we receive a plotline that feels less mature than some of the things we recieved in the original run.

I think you're forgetting that people who are depressed and suicidal don't always think rationally. Add to that his dwindling sanity from basically having to fight daily to stay alive for over 50 years, while not aging or being able to return home and you have a character that could very easy making those type of "mistakes", not out of negligence, but because he's clearly not in a good state of mind. Even in your later posts you still seem to be looking at it from a purely rational standpoint and missing the point

HStallion

I'm not saying he wasn't in a good state of mind and this would have been a good plotline if the trigger for Jack to give up wasn't so dumb. It woild have been more interesting if the destroyed village was his trigger since it was people Aku killed and he could have prevented. Heck he should have gotten triggered at what's her face being punched out two episodes ago since he doesn't know the difference between unconscious and dead. What's more insulting is that he knew the kids chips were about to be shut down.

Irrational or not we have no tension in this scene since we know the kids aren't dead and we basically get the most bog standard conclusion to this plot. There is barely any reason to feel conflicted about Jack since we know he didn't kill the children and the fact that his negligence to them in that situation is a problem is never touched on. Despite all its attempts we receive a plotline that feels less mature than some of the things we recieved in the original run.

Did he really know the kids were unconscious? You seem to be under the assumption that he new exactly what had happened and was well aware that they were only knocked out temporarily.I don't believe Jack had any inkling of this outside of his original demand that Ashi find the source of the signal and shut it down which even then doesn't mean set the children free but just stop the madness in general.

That was about it, the rest of the time he was on his own near constantly being viciously being attacked by the berserk children. Combined with his already fragile state of mind and the incredibly high stress situation he was in I can see him not making the smartest decision or mistaking knocked out for dead.

A.J.

Banned
Did he really know the kids were unconscious? You seem to be under the assumption that he new exactly what had happened and was well aware that they were only knocked out temporarily.I don't believe Jack had any inkling of this outside of his original demand that Ashi find the source of the signal and shut it down which even then doesn't mean set the children free but just stop the madness in general.

That was about it, the rest of the time he was on his own near constantly being viciously being attacked by the berserk children. Combined with his already fragile state of mind and the incredibly high stress situation he was in I can see him not making the smartest decision or mistaking knocked out for dead.
He didn't know anything about the kids status and that's the problem. They could have needed medical attention and Jack would have still not been there to help. It doesn't matter how irrationally self absorbed in his own tragedy he was. He didn't deserve the solace from hearing they weren't dead.

But in any case let's agree to disagree. I don't want my negativity to choke up this thread much more than it has.

HStallion

He didn't know anything about the kids status and that's the problem. They could have needed medical attention and Jack would have still not been there to help. It doesn't matter how irrationally self absorbed in his own tragedy he was. He didn't deserve the solace from hearing they weren't dead.

But in any case let's agree to disagree. I don't want my negativity to choke up this thread much more than it has.

I just think you're expecting more logical thinking from a man with decades in PTSD than makes sense, especially considering he was fighting for his life just prior.

I just think you're expecting more logical thinking from a man with decades in PTSD than makes sense, especially considering he was fighting for his life just prior.

This is the same guy who didn't remember he was carrying a bag of stolen cats until the minute the owners were close to catching and beating the shit out of him.

Even before this season, Jack could be pretty absent-minded at times. The stuff with the kids felt pretty in character to me.

-Deimos

Kinda hard to think rationally when you're having a mental breakdown.

A.J.

Banned
It's more than I just didn't care for the fact that all it boiled down to was a simple misunderstanding plot and I wanted Jack's big confrontation with the Shogun reaper to be more than that. Maybe it's not and things will be cleared up in the next episode so I will keep my eye out. I'm also hoping Jack doesn't bounce back from all this just because he isn't haunted by the reaper anymore.

HStallion

It's more than I just didn't care for the fact that all it boiled down to was a simple misunderstanding plot and I wanted Jack's big confrontation with the Shogun reaper to be more than that. Maybe it's not and things will be cleared up in the next episode so I will keep my eye out. I'm also hoping Jack doesn't bounce back from all this just because he isn't haunted by the reaper anymore.

I guess I just don't see the big deal when big decisions/changes are based on small misunderstandings. Some of the greatest stories ever told hinge around this idea and I'm not saying Samurai Jack is anywhere near the greats of storytelling but its a pretty common idea to see in action. How they handled the Horned Samurai is a different matter but how they got there seemed fine to me.

A.J.

Banned
I guess I just don't see the big deal when big decisions/changes are based on small misunderstandings. Some of the greatest stories ever told hinge around this idea and I'm not saying Samurai Jack is anywhere near the greats of storytelling but its a pretty common idea to see in action. How they handled the Horned Samurai is a different matter but how they got there seemed fine to me.

Well this was hyped up to me as one of the greatest SJ episodes ever so that is probably part of where my problem comes from. And I'm not saying those types of stories can't be good and I'm not saying characters shouldn't be written irrational at certain moments in stories. I just feel like Jack's character arc was dissatisfying in regards to this episode. While It's easy to understand why he would spiral after thinking the kids are dead I'm not so sure if it was the right idea to have him snap out of his stupor just by Ashi saying how much he helped people. Just like the reaper has been a demon that has obviously been plaguing him more and more over the years that was beaten rather quickly. It's probably just a symptom of the short season, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

HStallion

Well this was hyped up to me as one of the greatest SJ episodes ever so that is probably part of where my problem comes from. And I'm not saying those types of stories can't be good and I'm not saying characters shouldn't be written irrational at certain moments in stories. I just feel like Jack's character arc was dissatisfying in regards to this episode. While It's easy to understand why he would spiral after thinking the kids are dead I'm not so sure if it was the right idea to have him snap out of his stupor just by Ashi saying how much he helped people. Just like the reaper has been a demon that has obviously been plaguing him more and more over the years that was beaten rather quickly. It's probably just a symptom of the short season, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

This is kind of a thing for Samurai Jack. In Jack and the Ultrabots, the Ultrabots went from city after city murdering everyone in them except for someone to tell Jack about the attack. This happens several times before Jack does finally encounter the Ultrabots. They nearly kill him and even his magic sword is useless against them in a twist. The entire episode is based around them being the ultimate threat to Jack and how he barely defeats them even with their original creators help. Jack eeks out a victory after the harrowing set of events and the episode ends almost immediately with him and the scientists behind the Ultrabots high fiving each other. It's probably just more noticeable with how much darker the show has become.

I wonder what will happen after jack finds his sword. He still thinks all the time portals are broken so what will he do? Go straight for aku? Or maybe the guardian's portal is still there and he finds out about it or something.

HStallion

I wonder what will happen after jack finds his sword. He still thinks all the time portals are broken so what will he do? Go straight for aku? Or maybe the guardian's portal is still there and he finds out about it or something.

I'm guessing we will have a huge confrontation with Aku no matter what though I guess they could go another route with it. That said I'm actually thinking Jack might not get to go home and save the past. A lot of this season has been about Jack being haunted by the past 50 years and being unable to come to terms with things any more than he could defeat Aku in the first place. I'm starting to feel that Jack finally getting a portal back in time after defeating Aku would be a sort of undercutting the first half of this season (or more as we still have more to go) and that he might just stay in the "future" or what is really his present and deal with his emotions and maybe try and help the world heal.

Neoxon

There may still be one portal left, the one that's being protected by the Guardian.

Xe4

Banned
I don't think he ages either. He seemed to have been defending the portal for who know's how long going by the mountains of dead bodies of all sorts.

Yep. He even says as much in his dialogue even:
The Guardian said:
For countless eon's I have guarded this magical power of time travel. All have been denied, from the mightiest of giants to the tiniest of warriors. You see Samurai, only one man has been prophesied to defeat me. And that man is the only man who can use this time passage. And you my man, ain't that man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom