• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands Movie | Rotten Watch

simpatico

Gold Member
Why did the classy Cate Blanchett take this role, whoever did the casting should be fired.
Masterchef Canada Shocker GIF by CTV
Easiest check ever? I bet the whole thing was shot on the same green screen in the span of two weeks.

Esca

I'll go check it out being a fan of the ip and mostly because I have a regal pass so it really isn't costing me anything since I see do many movies on it already

Puscifer

"Claptrap returns to operational mode after a heavy-weaponry assault and says, “I blacked out. Did something important happen?” Not in this movie."

LMAO

JCK75

The cast had me kind of hopeful, but Eli Roth is one of those directors that has maybe 1 hit for every 10 misses.. and this REALLY is not the type of movie in his comfort zone.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No offense to the fans but Borderlands has always looked like the most obnoxious piece of shit franchise to me. Never played one and never will, every piece of story and gameplay footage I have seen throughout the years has turned me off. Its the most bottom of the barrel 360-era trash you could play. Call of Duty has more artisitc merit.

SJRB

Gold Member
Who keeps giving Eli Roth bags of money?

Anyway, a lot of the commentary seems quite on-brand for the game.

I forget, what was the video game controversey over Claptraps voice? I remember they changed it for the 3rd game and It sounded really similar too me.

Sokka

I forget, what was the video game controversey over Claptraps voice? I remember they changed it for the 3rd game and It sounded really similar too me.
I think the story was that the original VO for claptrap was a Borderlands developer that voiced the character for free. For the third game he wanted to be paid for his work and Randy Pitchford didn't want to.

There could be more to it that we don't know, but that's my understanding of the whole situation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think the story was that the original VO for claptrap was a Borderlands developer that voiced the character for free. For the third game he wanted to be paid for his work and Randy Pitchford didn't want to.

There could be more to it that we don't know, but that's my understanding of the whole situation.
Wiki has this

Claptrap was voiced by David Eddings in the first four Borderlands games,[4] but was replaced by Jim Foronda since Borderlands 2 VR following a public falling-out between Eddings and Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford.[4] Eddings claimed that he was offered sub-standard rates for voicing the character in Borderlands 3, and accused Pitchford of assault. Pitchford denied the claims, and called Eddings "bitter and disgruntled" after being fired from Gearbox.[5][6]

And this

Puscifer

Why did the classy Cate Blanchett take this role, whoever did the casting should be fired.
Everyone's 10-40 years too old for these roles. I'm amazed at how they refuse to let new action stars take hold. The one scene in the latest bad boys with the Marine boyfriend killing everyone in the house was fucking amazing and eclipsed every other action scene. I hope they cast him in other stuff and write around him.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Finally I can experience the quality writing, hilarious nonstop shit/piss/fart jokes, and endearing multidimensional characters of Borderlands without any of that fun class-based looter shooter gameplay getting in the way.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gotcha, i was thinking of this classic:

Jaws 3-D:

A giant thirty-five-foot shark becomes trapped in a SeaWorld theme park and it's up to the sons of police chief Brody to rescue everyone
Don't be dissing Jaws 3D, I will CUT YOU!!!!

I think I saw EVERY. SINGLE. DAMNED 3D movie in the 80s. Amityville 3D, Jaws 3D, Friday the 13th 3D, whatever Freddy was in 3D, Buckaroo Banzai I think?, Starchaser the dang cartoon, and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least a dozen of them.

Glorious!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Don't be dissing Jaws 3D, I will CUT YOU!!!!

I think I saw EVERY. SINGLE. DAMNED 3D movie in the 80s. Amityville 3D, Jaws 3D, Friday the 13th 3D, whatever Freddy was in 3D, Buckaroo Banzai I think?, Starchaser the dang cartoon, and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least a dozen of them.

Glorious!
I like Amityville 3D quite a bit.

Doom85

All of the resident evils compared to this deserves an Oscar.

Office Space No GIF

At least the actual Borderlands game characters are the focus of this movie. The Mary Sue OC fanfiction of Alice with a minimal amount of support from her cheerleaders Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon, etc. can fuck off for all eternity for all I care.

j0hnnix

Office Space No GIF

At least the actual Borderlands game characters are the focus of this movie. The Mary Sue OC fanfiction of Alice with a minimal amount of support from her cheerleaders Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon, etc. can fuck off for all eternity for all I care.
Office Space Side Eye GIF

Neon Xenon

I really can't blame you or anyone for questioning why the hell Cate Blanchett is in this movie.

Tell you what, everyone should watch Tár (2022) instead. Very good movie that also stars Cate Blanchett. Much better use of your time.

YCoCg

The overall cast of this felt mismanaged, and the tone felt off in the trailers and made it look like shit, so yeah, universal bomb all around it seems.

No offense to the fans but Borderlands has always looked like the most obnoxious piece of shit franchise to me. Never played one and never will, every piece of story and gameplay footage I have seen throughout the years has turned me off. Its the most bottom of the barrel 360-era trash you could play. Call of Duty has more artisitc merit.
I remember really liking the first Tales from the Borderlands game from Telltale Games. I think it's the best content to come out of that franchise.

winjer

Gold Member
10 millions for an opening, for a movie that cost 100-130 million to make. And then there is advertising, and the share of tickets for cinemas.
This is going to be a gigantic flop.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
This looks like Street Fighter - level of bad video game adaptation. I might check it out.
I watched reviews that put this movie at "SO BAD IT'S JUST IRREDEEMABLY BAD."
Not the kind of bad that morphs into charming. Just-plain-awful. I'll Watch this on stream while folding clothes and paying bills or something. :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🍻

Top Bottom