• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRockman

Banned
I'm almost certian the Gaurdian is Jack's ticket back now. Before I was thinking that Gennedy was just goona drop it, but since we got this Fanservice episode all of my doubts have vanished.

I did want to see the dogs from the very first episode/movie, but maybe they can show up later.

Also how in the fuck does anybody at the rave party besides the DJ still remember jack LMAO.

They're all super young and this happened 50+ years ago. Unless the dj has been playing that Samurai Jack song over and over again and talking about how he's the hero of the ravers or some shit.

Also how in the fuck does anybody at the rave party besides the DJ still remember jack LMAO.

They're all super young and this happened 50+ years ago. Unless the dj has been playing that Samurai Jack song over and over again and talking about how he's the hero of the ravers or some shit.

They've probably heard legends and rumors, and he has been around for 50 years. It's not like he's this mythical figure of the past

RRockman

Banned

That dj was there! She never forgot what he did! I think that is exactly what she's been doing for 50 years.

rec0ded1

All those callbacks had me like
dizjpWG.gif

One thing I didn't understand​ was why didn't Scaramouche fight back against​ those dog guys? If he can talk then he should be able to do some scatting.

Granted we don't understand how his powers work but I would think its just magic.

Best. episode. of. the. season. so far.

The theories about the Sam-moo-rai being a real, skilled samurai after Jack's disappearance didn't come true, but I think he might have been reinspired in this episode.

Now we need the genius dogs, the Jump-Good cavemen, the princess, and the Guardian to eventually make an appearance.

NEO0MJ

One thing I didn't understand​ was why didn't Scaramouche fight back against​ those dog guys? If he can talk then he should be able to do some scatting.

Granted we don't understand how his powers work but I would think its just magic.

I think he needs his body and supplementary tools to use his full power. He stopped scatting after jack threw the sonic charged dagger at him which visibly broke his neck.

The DJ is specifically one of the ravers saved from Aku's brainwashing 50 years ago.

lXPeoQd.png

Nordicus

I think he needs his body and supplementary tools to use his full power. He stopped scatting after jack threw the sonic charged dagger at him which visibly broke his neck.
Yup, I imagine his scatting powers lie in his throat, which the sonic dagger busted up.

Seda

I feel like using one episode for callbacks and nostalgia in effect to show Ashi the type of legacy Jack has is a good idea in itself. It doesn't inherently bother me that's how they decided to go about it, and it's also just a fun nod to people who watched the show when they were children, certainly. I feel like the new season has earned the right to allocate one episode for this purpose.

The pacing and execution are more up to question, whether it was too rapid fire and should have been slowed down or whatnot.

Also, as someone who doesn't care for 'fanservice', I felt the Ashi rebirth scene was incredibly tame.

Toa TAK

Banned
ASHi, yeah, I get it now.

Fanservice the episode, but still, I felt old watching this, and I'm only 23. Pretty happy to see the Tower reflected again, as that was a favorite of mine way back when.

Got the most hyped when he finally is ready to head back into it again and search for his sword.

Also, as someone who doesn't care for 'fanservice', I felt the Ashi rebirth scene was incredibly tame.

I feel like there are some, somewhat puritanical, people on here who feel like a woman showing any sort of skin is fanservice. Someone actually called the scene of her rebirth a "male gaze" despite the shower scene being maybe a few second long, and from a distance, and the camera not lingering on any specific part of her. Meanwhile Jack is running around in a loincloth 90% the time and has his clothes destroyed in every fight like he's a character from Senran Kagura.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed the heck out of this episode. It was a lot of setup, resolution, and transition, and I think it worked out great.

Zubz

Banned
Interesting to note, the ghost rider is officially named 'The Omen' in the credits, and is played by Aaron LaPlante. And though I doubt he'll return in a major capacity after this episode, I get the feeling that was resolved too quickly to be truly dealt with.

edit: lmao

I caught that, too. It was pretty neat. Fun Fact: I didn't know Grey DeLisle got married, but she had a different last name in the credits. Good for her!

Great episode. That random Demongo appearance though, lol. Wonder why the decided to show him. I mean, he was one of the cooler bad guys but it was a little too fan servicey.

I mean, this episode was all call-backs to what made the original series so great; maybe they just wanted to throw him in one last time for the road? I don't see him tying into the narrative, unless Mr. Smiley's scenario of him tying into the Scaramouche plot happens.

What? It's not about missing that fact. But going from an extremely serious suicidal moment where he was going to end his fucking life to "oh haha I like your dress and hair" joke within a few seconds was very awkward.

Yeah... Part of me thinks it's suggesting Jack is still suicidal, he just didn't want to kill himself in that moment.

Veelk

Banned
I feel like there are some, somewhat puritanical, people on here who feel like a woman showing any sort of skin is fanservice. Someone actually called the scene of her rebirth a "male gaze" despite the shower scene being maybe a few second long, and from a distance, and the camera not lingering on any specific part of her. Meanwhile Jack is running around in a loincloth 90% the time and has his clothes destroyed in every fight like he's a character from Senran Kagura.

I'm hardly puritanical, but yes, I would call the shower scene male gaze. It focused on her figure slowly rising nude from the water, hips swaying, and then gave a distinct outline through the waterfall (which could have obscured her entirely but didn't), before leaving her in a miniskirt and and a top so skintight and hugs her body so perfectly that you can make her nipple, while also showing ample cleavage..

Fanservice isn't merely about the character being nude, but how the camera lingers on them, and this was a scene where the camera deliberately lingered on Ashi's body. The series could have visually conveyed the ash leaving Ashi's body without doing that, it could have given her an outfit that was both more practical and less skimpy.

And you know what, if you like that, I'm not going to hold it against you. I like girls too, and I'm not against being attracted to animated characters. Or if you just think it was relatively tame to other stuff you saw, fair enough. Or at the very least, if you just think that they characterized Ashi enough on her own terms to be given a little leeway in depicting her in a kinda sexually objectified way, okay. But for the love of god, lets be honest with ourselves and call a spade a spade. It makes me feel like I'm in an episode of the twilight zone when people go to weird lengths to deny that fanservice is fanservice. This is titillation and male gaze.

Nordicus

I have a pet peeve with the rebirth scene, but it isn't the nudity.

It's the cutesy hip pose showing off Ashi's new outfit to a camera that doesn't exist. Ashi's character admittedly isn't super defined right now, but that still felt really jarring to me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Didn't even realize having call backs was that big a deal to people. Its fairly innocuous in the scheme of things and for a season of a show we never thought we'd get for well over a decade I'm fine if they wanted to make a nostalgia episode. Nostalgia is a big part of why this season got made, it seems only natural really. If anything this felt like a "one off' episode of Jack despite the fact its directly tied into the overarching narrative.

Fj0823

It was fanservice guys.

But I wasn't bad for me at all, it added a bit to the "fun" side of herself Ashi discovered in this episode.

That's how I see it anyway

Good episode overall, but incredibly....indulgent. Both because of all the callbacks and the gratuitous fan-service. I don't know if I'm just becoming an old man, but I'm just straight up not as tolerant of pointless titillation, and I feel I shouldn't be since I'm only 27. I'm fine if it were character based, but as it was, it just comes across as juvenile.

I'm also not a fan of Ashi's wording exactly. "You made me more way more than what I was." I'd have preferred "You let me be way more than I was." Minor difference, I know, but I'd rather she emphasized her gaining her own agency, not trading a cruel maker for a kind one.

But otherwise, good episode that finally has kicked Jack out of his rut.

The Ashi fanservice was especially jarring this episode compared to others, ranging from confusing (Why was she naked this whole time? Why is her face not black) to tacky (that leaf outfit is pretty lame looking)

The callbacks were relentlessly monotonous aside from the cute rave dance

Jocund

I'd really rather see Ashi in more combat appropriate garb, yeah. She looks so Disney princess-y in that leafy shit. And not like good, Moana-Disney princess.

I'd really rather see Ashi in more combat appropriate garb, yeah. She looks so Disney princess-y in that leafy shit. And not like good, Moana-Disney princess.

The vast majority of characters aren't wearing combat appropriate garb. Why would she be one of the first ones to? Even Jack only had armor on at the start of this season, and that was quickly destroyed and he's been half naked since

Jocund

The vast majority of characters aren't wearing combat appropriate garb. Why would she be one of the first ones to? Even Jack only had armor on at the start of this season, and that was quickly destroyed and he's been half naked since
I mean it doesn't have to be fuckin' battle armor, just something other than that cutsey, tacky leaf skirt. It could be a robe, a tunic, whatever. Jack looks like a hobo and looks more natural punching and kicking dudes.

I like her hair tho

I really liked how they animated Jack in the flashback with the evil monkey dudes and the friendly mammoth guys. Jack looked like classic Superman and had this towering and imposing figure.

Alright I see how this ends. Jack Lord of the Rings it up and gathers the armies of those he has helped to defeat Aku.

Ending of this episode felt real limp tho.

I mean it doesn't have to be fuckin' battle armor, just something other than that cutsey, tacky leaf skirt. It could be a robe, a tunic, whatever. Jack looks like a hobo and looks more natural punching and kicking dudes.

I like her hair tho

Then it's less about it being combat appropriate and more you just don't want/like her in a cutsey outfit?

Jocund

Then it's less about it being combat appropriate and more you just don't want/like her in a cutsey outfit?
I guess, man. It's a dumb look.

Even with her new attitude Ashi doesn't strike me as a woman who'd wear something like that. And I don't think it's all that conducive to what she does in fights. All those leaps and kicks are going to rustle the leaves right off her hips.

How fucking dare you

TheFlow

Banned
Don't overthink it guys. She can still get another outfit.

Plus how many battles have samurai jack won where he was almost naked. Outfits don't mean shit in this universe

I guess, man. It's a dumb look.

Even with her new attitude Ashi doesn't strike me as a woman who'd wear something like that. And I don't think it's all that conducive to what she does in fights. All those leaps and kicks are going to rustle the leaves right off her hips.

Really? Because it fits perfectly with her character. Every non-combat situation we've seen of her has been of her marveling at the beauty of the world, and now that she's finally gotten over her brainwashing and can experience it, without chastisement, she's able to actually act like the teenage girl she is and not some cold killing machine. She's always had this delicate side to her along with her ability to kick ass.

I actually expect her outfit to get destroyed while she is protecting Jack from the attackers

Well the leaves held up against that ghost Samurai and she got tossed around a good amount during that fight.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Don't overthink it guys. She can still get another outfit.

Plus how many battles have samurai jack won where he was almost naked. Outfits don't mean shit in this universe

I actually expect her outfit to get destroyed while she is protecting Jack from the attackers

Jocund

Really? Because it fits perfectly with her character. Every non-combat situation we've seen of her has been of her marveling at the beauty of the world, and now that she's finally gotten over her brainwashing and can experience it, without chastisement, she's able to actually act like the teenage girl she is and not some cold killing machine. She's always had this delicate side to her along with her ability to kick ass.
Oh hey, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that.

It's not my favorite look for Ashi, and I don't love it. But I don't despise it, either. I just think it could be better. I'm glad it operates well at the character level.

Xe4

Banned
So was she naked the whole time?

oh my
I mean, just like people are naked when we're wearing clothes.

It was a hellova lot harder to get her out of her suit than most of us out of our clothing.

But that raises the intresting question of how they, umm... preformed bodily functions.

It's probably best not to overthink it.

PiFace

Banned
I think that Ashi's new outfit is stupid looking, but I think in a way it is highly appropriate. Not because it isn't tacky looking but because this the first outfit SHE ever Choose to wear. All her life she was controlled and this is her first real choice.

I think she will probably get a new outfit, though.

Blues1990

That seems to be not canon because at the end of that episode he would have won. Not to mention how many times could Jack have avoided problems if he knew how to jump good

With the exception of the comics and PS2 video game, I thought all the episodes are considered to be accepted as officially part of the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom