• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Warriors 4-II announced, Xtreme legends naming convention changed?

Cant post the proof as it's a magazine scan, but it's there shows a new character who I believe is Naomasa li adopted son of Naotora. the Character is shown in red armour which Naomasa is famous for with Tadakatsu Honda. Or it could be someone else not sure, can't read Japanese.

Not sure if 2 is just a new naming convention for Xtreme legends though.

NeonZ

They ran into patent issues with Capcom regarding the Xtreme Legends combination method (Capcom had apparently patented expansion discs for consoles and sued them for it), so they might be phasing out the XL expansions and going for a straight Capcom style rehash (standalone rerelease with extra features). Also, it's Ii, not Li.

About the patent issues:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/26/capcom-suing-koei-tecmo-patent-infringement/

Hopefully they make it available as DLC too though, since there should be no problem there.

NeonZ

Still strange that Capcom won that suit. Didn't Koei actually start doing that first?

I think they registered the patent in the same year that the first XL came out, but quite a few months before that. And Capcom basically never used the patent...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Found a "scan" -AKA someone took a shitty picture of an open magazine- but the image is too small to make out the new character's name.

They ran into patent issues with Capcom regarding the Xtreme Legends combination method (Capcom had apparently patented expansion discs for consoles and sued them for it), so they might be phasing out the XL expansions and going for a straight Capcom style rehash (standalone rerelease with extra features). Also, it's Ii, not Li.

About the patent issues:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/26/capcom-suing-koei-tecmo-patent-infringement/

Hopefully they make it available as DLC too though, since there should be no problem there.

old habit of capitalizing names, and that makes sense

Lyte Edge

Wait...February 2015?

That's fast...I think I may skip Sengoku Musou Chronicles 3 now.

Kouriozan

Glad I hold off on this one as I have too much games currently, but I'm preordering this one ASAP once it's confirmed for the West.

Ii Naomasa looks like a sentai hero, I love it!

His weapon is so dull though. I kinda expected he would have gotten something like boxing gloves or something hand-to-hand to counter his mother's foot action.

Current rumors/wild mass guesses from KW (that might or might not be true):
- Character stories are returning for the newcomers of SW4
- Hyper Attacks getting nerfed and those annoying DW8XL shield soldiers are being introduced?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Still haven't played Dynasty Warriors 8 on the Vita... And I haven't finished Pirate Warriors 8 either :/

Too many Musou games!

ZhugeEX

Banned
It seems like it will contain the original game + new stuff.

So it's basically like 4 + Xtreme Legends. Weird naming convention with this one.

But it re-affirms what I've been saying about Koei and how they won't release a next gen PS4 only title till end of 2015/2016. It's clear that Koei's strategy is different with PS4 compared to PS3 launch. On PS3 launch Koei drove in with 3 exclusive games and it cost them dearly as fans still wanted PS2 games and PS3 userbase was low.

Well the userbase for PS4 is even lower and so Koei's strategy this time is to whore out the LTGL engine as much as possible for PS3 titles and re-releases such as this, bladestorm, dragon quest, Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires. No doubt we'll get some more re-releases and HD ports such as Toukiden. Koei are developing for PS3 first and PS4 second at the moment and they want as many repeat sales before moving exclusively to PS4.

Here is a quote explaining SW4-2. Still a weird name lol.

The announcement specifies that the game isn’t a sequel, but some form of reinvention of the previous game, even if details are scarce. There will be new stages, a new general (Ii Naomasa, historically a vassal of the more famous Tokugawa Ieyasu), a redesigned progression system, and apparently a different perspective to the story.

Samurai Warriors 4 sold 400,000 units across PS3/PS4 and PS Vita in Japan. I expect the sequel to sell around 50% of that if not less.

Eusis

I think they registered the patent in the same year that the first XL came out, but quite a few months before that. And Capcom basically never used the patent...
Was Monster Hunter 1 out by then? I guess they could've intended to use it for that, or fighting games, or something.

But if Capcom never made any use of it that definitely should've been something that hit the public domain sooner than later I think, really lame to have something invented (or "invented") only for them to not actually implement it and for others to go using it instead. Although I guess at this point their method was PROBABLY obsolete and can be replaced with something else like DLC or install discs for DLC you activate.

Was Monster Hunter 1 out by then? I guess they could've intended to use it for that, or fighting games, or something.

But if Capcom never made any use of it that definitely should've been something that hit the public domain sooner than later I think, really lame to have something invented (or "invented") only for them to not actually implement it and for others to go using it instead. Although I guess at this point their method was PROBABLY obsolete and can be replaced with something else like DLC or install discs for DLC you activate.

I think at this point, Koei needs to put more effort into these expansion packs since they can't just use the excuse of DLC not being a big thing in not making these just DLC expansions.

Then again, SW4 is pretty slim compared to other Musou games in terms of additional content though....

Xenoflare

I sure hope this will end the Mixjoy or whatever that mechanic is named.

I bought DW8 twice on PS3 because of that, damn.

It's the first time I saw any publisher did this, I understand that it's my fault for not doing my research but I assumed that it's the complete game since there is a complete edition for the PS3 in Japan/Asia and it's the same for PS4/Vita and I assumed that the NA DW8XL will also contain the vanilla game.

Well, technically it does, but I need the vanilla DW8 in my HDD forever if I want to experience the whole thing, 19GB forever locked.

Foffy

Banned
Considering the name change, does this follow typical Xtreme Legends setups that you need the base game to unlock that stuff in the update, or is it essentially a re-release with new content?

Considering the name change, does this follow typical Xtreme Legends setups that you need the base game to unlock that stuff in the update, or is it essentially a re-release with new content?

I think this may be a similar case to DW8CE, base game with XL in it but I guess they cant call it XL anymore. Save data will almost 100% be transferable too from SW4 to SW4 II regardless of which way it goes.

I'm guessing this is a translation of info from the article, but I'm not 100%:
AntonKutovoi said:
Sengoku Musou 4-II (戦国無双 4-II) is the upcoming revised edition of Samurai Warriors 4. Its sales pitch is to present the "perfect version" of the title, words which are reminiscent for Chronicle 2nd's marketing. The producer adds that it is "another" side of the same game, neither a continuation or a Xtreme Legends expansion.

The main character that players selects in Story Mode will serve as their distinguished protagonist for a selected scenario. Events will be further concentrated on the selected character and will differ from another character. Results will differ from the ones seen in the vanilla title.
Weapon system and character building has been revised. War scrolls can be used to further alter weapon customization.
The Dream Castle Mode from Chronicle 3 shall be present. New areas for this mode are being added to distinguish itself from the portable versions.
Bolded = All I needed to know. Day 1.

Edit:
This corroborates with the above. It has a slightly different translation regarding the customization systems:
Series producer Hisashi Koinuma says warlords will be able to learn skills from other characters using a Tactics Manual item. Players will also be able to strengthen and synthesize weapons from unneeded weapons.

Hyper attacks aren't getting completely nerfed, they are just balancing the whole moveset. So hopefully Musashi won't be shit.

Rymuth

About the patent issues:

What the flaming fuck...

Loved SW4, pretty fun campaign. As a musou fan, I'm getting this day one but seriously, what the fuck, Capcom?!

sensui-tomo

What the flaming fuck...

Loved SW4, pretty fun campaign. As a musou fan, I'm getting this day one but seriously, what the fuck, Capcom?!

capcom mad that they cant market basara like koei can market warriors in the west(really more or less capcom needs to be alright with low consistant sales.. if they go in with expectations of reaching DW/SW sale numbers they'll be fine)

Ogawa-san

We all saw nerfs coming to hypers, so it's no surprise. What about balancing them specials? Date Masamune and Ieyasu's for example are just embarrassing...

TreIII

Bolded = All I needed to know. Day 1.

The weapon system was one of my main qualms with the game when I dug into the import earlier this year (with Godspeed/Hyper being the other). Hearing that both of these may be getting reworked might be enough to get me to give this game a second look.

Hyper attacks aren't getting completely nerfed, they are just balancing the whole moveset. So hopefully Musashi won't be shit.

Dunno, how can you nerf them without basically making them worthless?

One idea that I, Tetsuo9999 and others had was to alter it so that it's actually a legit part of the moveset, as something more akin to an actual second attack string, instead of just the arguably better (but much more situational) peon basher it was formerly. Least fun I've had with with a Musou mechanic since the days of Renbu, personally.

Since Godspeed was pretty much the only new thing that a lot of characters received to their 10+ year old movesets (and it didn't make up for some of their actually good C1s being taken away), I hope this means they'll actually make it so that the likes of poor Goemon aren't still stuck with the same lackluster tools for 1v1s against officers that they've had to make do with for years.

Hystzen

About time got the Red Devil leader he should been added ages ago.

So do I wait for this version or SW4 now for ps4

First Look from Gematsu from Famitsu

ikrfmv7.jpg

So definitely looks like we're getting character focused story modes for the new characters.

J0zFdgc.jpg

And Ii Naomasa IS basically a Sentai hero and is amazing.

The “Infinite Castle” mode from previous Samurai Warriors games will also return. The character and weapons growth systems, as well as conversation events, action parts, and other areas have also seen upgrades.

Infinite Castle is a challenge mode where players fight through an endless castle. It was last implemented in Samurai Warriors 2.

A number of new stages are also set to appear, including, Koshu, Osaka Castle, Honzugawa Gate, Oshu, and Kuisegawa. Each stage has been carefully modeled after their real world counterpart during wartime, right down to the seasons and weather patterns.

From the screens on the official site:

Ii Naomasa kicks! Even if his weapon is boring, his moveset looks pretty damn fun.

I'm guessing hyper attacks get blocked by shield using enemies now. That'll probably just be annoying.

It also looks like we're getting events with the characters doing stuff instead of just a visual novel approach.

We're getting weapon and horse leveling again!

And also:
XHDQ43O.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
Opening MV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhUsxmy7NpM

Info taken from Koei Warriors:

[big]戦国無双4 - II
Sengoku Musou 4 - II
[/big]
Created by: KOEI
Console: PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita & Playstation 4
Release Date: 11 February 2015 [JP]
[big]

New Characters
[/big]
akbBH5j.png

井伊直政 Ii Naomasa (Seiyuu: Konishi Katsuyuki, aka Maeda Toshiie)
Weapon: Longspear
Description:
Naomasa has inherited his foster mother's kindness and strength. He seeks to courageously do good, a hero hoping to shoulder the burden of the next generation. He views Toyohisa as a worthy rival and opponent.

Skills
Characters can use "strategy books" to learn various skills.

Skills may require you to have learned other skills and to be of a certain level. The layout of skills is different for each character, so the order in which you learn skills differs between characters.

Weapons
For a particular weapon rank, the [max] level is fixed. By combining weapons, level will increase and abilities will grow.

Also, by combining weapons with the same attributes it's possible to break limits, which increases the maximum level and might add new abilities. It's more likely that you'll break limits if you use weapon with high rank and level in synthesis.

Horses
Like with weapons, a horse's [max] level is fixed by its rank, and combining them will make them stronger.

By combining the same kind of horse, you can break limits, which increases max level and might adding new abilities.

Under the modes tab,

[big]Infinite Castle (Main Building)[/big]
Take one character through an unending series of stages. Challenge yourself to go as deep into the castle as possible while collecting weapons and horses. Depending on your life and the time limit, decide whether to press on or to turn back.

Missions
Each floor you must complete a mission to advance.
As you reach higher floors, be on the watch for stronger enemies. Defeating them will gift the player with better rewards.

Rewards (Spoils of War)
Obtained weapons and horses can be kept by choosing to exit the castle.
Going deeper into the castle results in better rewards, however there is a limit to the number of rewards that you can take with you.
Choosing when to leave due to a lack of life or time is important.

Arrival Rewards
By reaching a certain floor, you will obtain benefits for the next time you enter the infinite castle.
By continuously playing you will obtain advantages that make it fun to come back for more.

[big]Infinite Castle (Annex)[/big]
A brand new challenge mode.
Challenge high scores by playing for a short time with special rules.

Brave Warrior Room
A mode where you defeat as many soldiers as possible within the time limit.
Effectively use a combination of normal, charge, and godspeed attacks to efficiently defeat many enemies.

Gold room
A mode where you collect as much gold as possible within the time limit.
By achieving a number of points, enter a state where hitting enemies generates gold.

[Not 100% on the first half of that last sentence]

Gale Room
A mode where you defeat standard bearers, while racing to the finish line.
Surpass obstacles such as shield soldiers and archers and defeat the standard bearers who have been placed as checkpoints.

Verge of Death Room
A very hard mode. Clear Brave Warrior Room, Gold Room, and Gale Room with a certain score to unlock.
One hit from the enemy is enough to defeat you, which creates a feeling of tension. How many enemies can you defeat within the time limit?

Create New Officers
Edit mode is back due to popularity.
You can enjoy your original officers in free mode and in infinite castle mode.

Game comes out in Japan next week.

I'm predicting 60k for PS3, 25k for PS4 and 21k for PS Vita. Cumulative 106k opening week.

Sengoku Musou 4 has sold cumulative 400k+ in Japan so far.

Lyte Edge

OK, the game came out yesterday! Anyone played it yet? There's not much chatter on it out there.

My copies came in this morning.

16485149776_6fe5227fe8_b.jpg

Top Bottom