• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sanctum |OT| Indie FPS Tower Defense

Durante

bannero8ws.png

Name: Sanctum
Developer: Coffee Stain Studios
Genre: FPS Tower Defense
Platform: PC
Availability: Steam
Price: 15USD / 15EUR / 10GBP (discounted 2-packs available, the game has co-op)
Release: Today!

I just saw that there is no thread for this so far, and I actually almost have missed the release even though I've been interested in this for a while now. It's clearly being overshadowed by Portal 2, but I still believe it deserves some recognition. I love the tower defense sub-genre, and Sanctum really seems to be trying something new in that.

Key Features: (Copy/paste from Steam)
  • Experience a brand new mix of genres!
  • Play through beautiful environments with unique strategic possibilities
  • Develop your own strategy and build your custom mazes
  • Team up with a friend in co-op mode!
  • Powered by Unreal Technology, Sanctum is one of the world's best looking independent developed games!

Here's a trailer.

I'll add some impressions when it unlocks later, for now have some screenshots:
untitled-3iy2p.jpg

untitled-2o9d1.jpg

untitled-1oz6m.jpg

Edit:

By the way, the game obviously has Steam achievements. One of them is called "599 US Dollars". Just saying.

garath

Great game. I bought the pre-release two pack for myself and my friend. Came out to $10 a piece. Pre-release came with beta access so I got to play it some.

Game is really fun. Very challenging. The difficulty ramps up very quickly and you need to build your maze, upgrade your towers and upgrade your guns with a lot of forethought. I can't wait to try it co-op with my friend. I think we're going to try it tonight.

I'm looking forward to the additional maps the full release will bring. The developer has been very attentive as well. He uses steam forums as the primary forums and is an active poster/reader. The game has changed quite a bit from the early beta gameplay videos I saw.

I played the beta, really enjoyed it, but was disappointed I couldn't play beyond the first map. Picked up the two pack, glad to hear it was finally released.

(._.)

Banned
looks interesting not sure I'll be buying this at launch but during a sale this will probably get purchased.

Durante

I played in co-op for a while. The difficulty is extreme. There's only 2 modes on multiplayer, casual and hardcore. Being self-respecting gamers we wouldn't choose casual, so for a few hours we tried moving beyond the 5th wave. And I'd say we're both pretty good at tower defense and FPS. I hope some intermediate difficulty for multiplayer mode makes it in soon.

In any case, the game controls well and looks and sounds great for an indie title. But the balance between waves and overall difficulty in multiplayer really needs some tweaks.

Here are 2 screenshots, sorry about the mumble overlay.

shippingpc-sanctumgame3mi1.jpg

shippingpc-sanctumgamea82k.jpg

eiskaltnz

This game is brilliant. I have been playing a bunch of COOP with one of my friends. Anyone who likes tower defense and FPS games will love it.

Does anyone else find that they spend way more money on towers but do a lot more damage with their weapons?

Boerseun

Banned
Wow, this looks good. Also great to read the positive impressions. It seems everyone's playing in co-op though. That makes me think a console release with a split-screen option would be ideal.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have played a year ago (or a year and a half?). It didn't impress me. But I don't care about tower defense games.

garath

The co-op is very very hard. It's refreshing in a way but I'd love a more gentle difficulty spike.

Needless to say though, my friend and I have been having great fun with it. We're getting the hang of things pretty quickly. Can't wait to see all the new features the devs will be adding. They've been very active.

Durante

We finally gave in and tried "casual", and it's really only casual for the first few waves. It's fun to finally get some higher level towers and fill out the maze though.

shippingpc-sanctumgameqmc2.jpg

Moobabe

This game is kicking my ASS so hard. Still fun though; especially knowing that I'm doing the levels wrong; always spurs me on to try different routes.

Edit

What's the 600 meg patch that's just dropped?

garath

Durante said:
We finally gave in and tried "casual", and it's really only casual for the first few waves. It's fun to finally get some higher level towers and fill out the maze though.

shippingpc-sanctumgameqmc2.jpg

I'm not going to lie, after playing hardcore a little in the beta, my buddy and I instantly started on casual. Imo there's not much casual about it.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
The patch added a server browser according to the Steam forums and that's about it? It's weird though, a 600 mb patch for a game that is somewhere around a gigabyte in size.

EXGN

Fun, but not as good as the other TD game I've been hooked on lately, Anamoly: Warzone Earth. Would definitely be interested in playing some co-op, if anyone else is down.

This game is a lot of fun. I particularly appreciate that you can take all the time you need between waves. Nice and smooth in coop as well- no lag at all.

Spent another evening playing co-op again...the lack of enthusiasm by a few more GAFers is a heinous, though not unexpected, travesty.

Surely the Giant Bomb quicklook might draw in a few pundits. Although, Ryan certainly talks the talk without walking the walk during his backseat driver duty over Brad's shoulder.

Durante

A new patch was released recently that, among other things, added a new map and rebalanced multiplayer difficulty.

Previously we had trouble reaching Wave 35 on Casual. Now there are 3 difficulty levels, "Casual", "Experienced" and "Hardcore". We tried the middle one first and got to Wave 53. Quite a difference there.

NewBrof

Sanctum demo on Steam is released. You can play to wave 7 in the demo.
I think I will buy it now...

(Good for testing your PC. I have an old PC (single core AMD 3000+), it works ok, if I set settings to low and resolution to 800x600...)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just picked this up because of the steam summer sale, been playing it all day. I just want to say this is by far the most fun tower defense game I've played.

Erudite

4 Player Co-op Patch came out today, among some other additions:

Added support for 4 players in co-op!
Added Endless Singleplayer mode!
Added Limited amount of waves in multiplayer!
Added Turbo Mode!
Added more Achievements!
Added co-op build and upgrade towers!
Added Ping in Server Browser
Added option for server to kick players
Added option to see full games in Server Browser
New and improved HUD arrows!
Improved GamePad support!
You can now "Ping" by right clicking in the overview!

On top of this, a huge amount of general bug fixes, performance optimization and balance changes has been made.
This game seriously needs more love, especially now that they've increased the co-op player count. Really hope it becomes a daily for those who are on the fence, then you'll really have no excuse.

A two pack is available as well.

Durante

Traced-Velocity said:
This game seriously needs more love, especially now that they've increased the co-op player count. Really hope it becomes a daily for those who are on the fence, then you'll really have no excuse.
And it happened. Everyone should get this game. Nice idea, good implementation, full coop features and fantastic post-release support.

Sober

I think a couple of people (myself included) were looking for putting 4-packs together. Probably be a bit easier to organize in here than the Steam thread.

ASilva

Neo Member
Im up for a 4-pack deal. Can paypal the money to whoever buys it in advance. I cant really buy it myself cause i'm not in the US and its not as cheap in Europe.

Dizzy-4U

Holy crap this game is hard!

I've been playing by myself (friends are still downloading) and I couldn't beat wave 8.

I'm really liking it though. How many maps does it have?

Exuro

I'm having trouble with the game as well. My brother and I are able to play on the casual level relatively easily, but bumping it up to the normal difficulty we can't even get to wave 10. Any tips/pointer?

Petrie

Banned
I'm looking to buy into a 4-pack to get an extra copy for my g/f. I'm willing to host if need be, so please shoot me a PM if you need another Gaffer. US here.

Much more fun with friends! There should be some sort of a GAF server, there isn't even a thread about it in the community section..

Top Bottom