• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving in Fire Emblem GC

NLB2

Banned
I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed. However I have been unable to find any thread dealing with this question.

Fire Emblem for GBA is dependent on an autosave after every move. If you lose a man in battle or see in the middle of a battle that you will, you cannot just restart your from the previous turn. Once the battle has begun, it must end. This works very well on a GBA cart were saving takes very little time. However, it seems it takes far more time to save data on GC. Is this due to the time it takes to access the memory card, and if so, does this mean that the memory card will merely be accessed continously during gameplay? Or is there no way to minimize save time to keep this autosave feature in the GC FE and, if so, how will IS alter the gameplay due to this obstacle?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GBA saving can still take a while too. Look at Mario & Luigi

As for FE GC, I don't know. Did Fire Emblem work the same way on previous games too?

NLB2

Banned
Oh yeah, I forgot about M&L saving. I lost my game because it took sooooo long to save and I accidently turned the system off :(.

Socreges

Banned
It could still be nearly instantaneous. There isn't much information involved given that everything is fairly numerical (even the characters fight on a grid system).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I don't know. Maybe someone knows how this was handled in other games like it.

Since the GBA game allows you to restart any mission, maybe they'll just say "Screw It!" and not bother with the single move auto-save. This way, you have to restart if you quit.

BuddyC

I see it like this: if they're looking to emulate the style of the GBA game exactly, they will auto-save after every turn, but only to the system memory (which is, you know, fast). you'll have to go into the menu and select save for it to hit the memory card.

With the GBA game, it's possible to boot it up, do two or three rounds, then turn it off again. Obviously, GameCube games aren't made to accomodate the portable audience like this.

NLB2

Banned
JJConrad: That would certainly work, though it would be a pain in the ass to have to beat eachmission in one sitting.

Socreges

Banned
NLB2 said:
That would certainly work, though it would be a pain in the ass to have to beat every mission in one sitting.
No, they could still keep the Suspend option. It would be the same system that Advance Wars uses, IIRC.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
NLB2 said:
JJConrad: That would certainly work, though it would be a pain in the ass to have to beat eachmission in one sitting.
I'd imagine they'd let the player save mid-mission if they need to quit, just remove the auto-save after every single turn.

NLB2

Banned
But if you can save mid mission, you can save, screw up, then load and avoid screwing up.
Mashing: I'm certainly glad to hear that. It would probably be even quicker for FE, then.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, they won't have a Save (mid-mission) option. They'll just use Suspend, which saves your status and exits you from the game. I'm convinced. [/thread]

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
They could make it like Majora's Mask were if you don't save before you quit, it resets you back to the beginning of the 3 days. So when you save, you must quit. Once the save has been loaded once, its erased.

Fularu

Banned
Wario64 said:
GBA saving can still take a while too. Look at Mario & Luigi

As for FE GC, I don't know. Did Fire Emblem work the same way on previous games too?

auto save was introduced with the first gba FE. It was so that you could stop your game at any given time without having to save/suspend, making it portable friendly.

I don't think it will be in the GC game

hirokazu

i doubt they'd make it autosave after every turn for the GC version because the MCs can only be written to a finite limit of times, and Nintendo themselves discourage others from making games that write to the card to often.

i think they'll incorporate a manual temporary save then exit to the title screen as others have pointed out, and erasing that temporary save once it is loaded, like FFT:A and Zelda: MM does.

Top Bottom