• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Same. I can't stand the insistence in trying to defend things. It's like I imagine him trying to tell me a burger that was dropped on the ground is fine. "It's not all bad. You just have to wipe away all the dirt. I mean, I liked it, I enjoyed mine. You're just being spiteful."

Why do you even care about that hamburger? You had nothing to do with it. You aren't a cow. That's not your meat.

Anung

Un Rama
Ehh... Pat's lust for outrage was obnoxious, but honestly I'd take it over dealing with Liam in that conversation. Though, in the best of all possible worlds, I don't have to have to be a part of that conversation with either of them.

The guys fuel each other so much that it's like a perpetual motion engine. Pat takes things to farcical extremes so Liam bends over backwards to defend something as a different opinion which forces Pat to go to even bigger extremes and so on and so forth.

It's kind of beautiful really.

I'll take Liam's general optimism over Pat's crazy cynicism any day of the week. Especially since we're dealing with stuff that ultimately doesn't matter. Listening to Pat speak is like hearing an animated GAF or Reddit thread. He'll talk at length, in the most absolute of terms, over the most ultimately inconsequential stuff. It's annoying.

I don't even call it optimism. It's more like... convincing oneself that something is better than it is for seemingly no reason at all. Rationalizing at best. At least with Pat the crazy is full on display so one knows there's no falsified logic behind it.

Edzi

I've yet to listen to the podcast, but honestly, they're both just opposite extremes and they really need to work on it because it's incredibly off-putting.

Skrams

I think I understand Liam's point at least. Whether or not you or someone else donated the $30 doesn't matter. You as a person are not directly related to the fault of the game failing. Just because Pat donated $30 and recommended others should doesn't make him directly at fault for it. People have an effect on a game obviously because if they donate more hopefully it'll be bigger and better. Pat's money and the people he influenced though are not a big deal in the grand scheme at least. Let's say it's $10,000 top that he influenced even. If you took that $10k away it really wouldn't of effected the game that much. It's kind of the thing that money is money, but the developers are developers. The bottom line is always that it relies on them at the end of the day. The money just supports them for however so long to make their dream a reality.

And Liam already said he put his foot in his mouth on twitter and clarified it if people care to see his own words on the thing. Also I like to hate things too Pat, but I dunno. 34 minutes over 5 tries seems particularly insane.

I don't even call it optimism. It's more like... convincing oneself that something is better than it is for seemingly no reason at all. Rationalizing at best. At least with Pat the crazy is full on display so one knows there's no falsified logic behind it.
What, how so? Liam's pretty even keeled, especially in this case wherein he's saying the game isn't great, but it's not the worst. Pat's the one ranting and raving about how he wished he could retroactively go back and play the demo so he could hate Mighty No. 9 more.

Squishy3

However miniscule it is Pat still ultimately helped. Sure, the larger failings of the game aren't on him but putting money into something and it being bad is still a shitty feeling all around.

Woolie's analogy was probably the closest where it's sort of akin to voting in an election. You vote for a guy and he does shitty things in office and you regret voting for him, in this case it's backing a game versus voting someone into office. It's obviously not on the same scale, of course, but it's probably the closest thing to it.

It's just that in the case of Mighty No. 9 everything around it was handled poorly and the game isn't even very good and there wasn't exactly much for backers to look forward to during the development of the game itself. The documentary is just NOW coming out versus like Broken Age where you got documentary episodes every few months going over how development is generally progressing and what pitfalls they are encountering. (like them talking about budget concerns were raised fairly early into the documentary)

Not to mention things present in the final product like the fact the DRM-free version which is what most people played first because it didn't unlock on Steam at midnight saves to the program files directory meaning it needs to be run as an administrator or it doesn't save anything. Bricking Wii Us. Poor performance on every platform except PC.

explodet

My favorite part of that whole exchange is when they bring up Shovel Knight and Matt/Woolie bring up their ACTUAL contribution to that game.

Strimei

I shouldn't be surprised that Pat's just cutting a bloody swath through Panchaea.

Now, I wonder what ending he'll choose...

Of course he decides to screw it all and let Panchaea implode.

Was there really that big a percentage of people who disliked podcast 151? The deadcast is easily one of my favorite episodes since the start. Thought all three of them played off each other and the messed up situation they were in super well.

I love the random references to seaQuest DSV in the final Deus Ex episode. It's always nice to know someone else watched obscure shit like that back in the day.

Matsukaze

Was there really that big a percentage of people who disliked podcast 151? The deadcast is easily one of my favorite episodes since the start. Thought all three of them played off each other and the messed up situation they were in super well.
I saw nothing but praise for the episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best podcasts in recent memory.

Strimei

I don't think there was. Didn't the guys say that there were only a few saying this wasn't good?

I don't think there was. Didn't the guys say that there were only a few saying this wasn't good?

They said they received a few direct messages that were extremely negative about it, but implied there were a lot of people who were pretty down on it without being as brutal as those people. The fact that they had been flat out apologizing for the episode at one point (though that got overrun pretty quickly once Pat apologizing over Mighty No. 9 started happening) just kind of threw me off since I thought it was great.

They said they received a few direct messages that were extremely negative about it, but implied there were a lot of people who were pretty down on it without being as brutal as those people. The fact that they had been flat out apologizing for the episode at one point (though that got overrun pretty quickly once Pat apologizing over Mighty No. 9 started happening) just kind of threw me off since I thought it was great.

I think the ratio was like 1:20 who didn't like it

I didn't care for the Dark Podcast and definitely would rather not have another one happen, but I understand the circumstances and it's not like an "I'd rather have nothing" situation.

It was the best of a bad situation, but just to clarify: I would rather not have the bad situation to begin with.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I was totally with Pat in the MN9/Shovel Knight discussion until his "okay fine, you can ignore all guilt and responsibility if you want" shit. Nah fuck that. I could feel Liam's anger there and it was totally justified.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
015.jpg

Man Pat's crazy.
"I know I'm 100% right."

Breads

Banned
It's so descriptive, too. You really get a good mental image of what's happening. Must have been quite tough to translate

I read in another thread that 8-4 studios took liberties in changing the story around to fit the localization... and that they did it for the better. And that we should expect more of it in Nier Automata.

That said I was waiting for pat's reaction to this when he saw it. I wonder if it was already spoiled to him. Gonna go watch it now!

Top Bottom