• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Banned
Finally got the BR today. Went through pretty much everything non-commentary.

It's exhaustive!

Great stuff, though.

Oh, and FUCK BR LIVE.

The relationships are dumb, just focus on the jokes and the action sequences. I watched the movie on the Blu Rays and I probably liked it more than my second rewatch cos I just removed any expectations of real characters.

Darkmakaimura said:
I just finished watching after consuming more Irish Cream than I should have. This is seriously something somebody should watch more on pot than alcohol. Pretty much throughout a good deal of it was "wtf?". This fulfills anyone with ADD and will upset the stomach of any drunk. As someone who has never read the comics and has experienced the movie for the first time tonight, I only have to ask what the hell did Ramona see in Scott? Scott reminds me a lot of myself in a way so believe me when I can say I don't see what she saw in him in the first place. Also, what a dick he was with the "Knife" (Asian girl). I liked her. But I guess to each their own. Overall, not too bad of a movie. I've seen more annoying "hipster" movies. Loved the game references (Clash at Demonhead for a band name... heh).
Think of Scott as Ramona's "Knives".

LOL. Any word on how successful the dvd sales have been so far? More people need to see this awesome film. Even the icy heart of Armond White was melted for this one (he named it best of 2010).

I still want the third film in the blood and ice cream trilogy more than anything else, but I'm done doubting Edgar Wright's future projects whatever they are. I'm day one for Ant-Man even with me being bummed out on comic book films.

big ander

Discotheque said:
LOL. Any word on how successful the dvd sales have been so far? More people need to see this awesome film. Even the icy heart of Armond White was melted for this one (he named it best of 2010).

I still want the third film in the blood and ice cream trilogy more than anything else, but I'm done doubting Edgar Wright's future projects whatever they are. I'm day one for Ant-Man even with me being bummed out on comic book films.
I want the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy finale too. So badly.
smokeymicpot said:
Why would you expect something?
It's not that illogical to expect a sound/editing/vfx nomination for this.

HYMp1.jpg

:3

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
big ander said:
It's not that illogical to expect a sound/editing/vfx nomination for this.
Editing, perhaps. Maybe sound. VFX was going to be a stretch. It did make the bakeoff though, so that's something.

There's always the VES, we'll see those noms pretty soon.

_dementia said:
I'm mad jealous. How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?
A lot, actually. $250 for the poster on eBay and then another $300 or something on top of that for the nice-ass framing job (I'm not really remembering because I got my Poultrygeist poster framed at the same time and I got $100 knocked off the price or something because I gave those guys a lot of money). And that's not even counting the Nega Scott variant of that poster I also bought and is sitting in a poster tube under my desk.

But it was worth it.

Mr. Sam

I-- I, uh, imported the Blu-ray from America ahead of the UK release. I went to a showing with a Q&A with Edgar Wright afterwards. I wanna be a true fan too!

I AM JOHN! said:
A lot, actually. $250 for the poster on eBay and then another $300 or something on top of that for the nice-ass framing job (I'm not really remembering because I got my Poultrygeist poster framed at the same time and I got $100 knocked off the price or something because I gave those guys a lot of money). And that's not even counting the Nega Scott variant of that poster I also bought and is sitting in a poster tube under my desk.

But it was worth it.
Do you read about economic woes and high unemployment levels and just laugh from your nerd cave?

butter_stick said:
Do you read about economic woes and high unemployment levels and just laugh from your nerd cave?
Such are the glories of being a college kid who can afford to blow a paycheck on really stupid shit because he still lives at home. :p

Rented the movie tonight.

Thought it was pretty interesting, although some of the fight scenes dragged on a bit too much.

I liked the casting, exception for the age thing. Knives is clearly not 17, and scotss younger sister is clearly older than him. Why do that?

Also, apparently there's an alternate ending, but the fuckers at universal made a "rental version" of the movie? WTF is this shit? "Buy the disk to see the deleted scenes!" Fuck you. Makes me want to pirate it just to stick it up their asses.

Well, except for that unpleasantness, good movie, but I dont think I'd recommend it to anyone.

big ander

WanderingWind said:
I want to legally buy an HD copy of this movie. iTunes and Amazon don't have it. Am I out of luck?
iTunes is telling me they have it in HD if you get it on an iPad or Apple TV.
There's the blu-ray too. Which is awesome.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
big ander said:
iTunes is telling me they have it in HD if you get it on an iPad or Apple TV.
There's the blu-ray too. Which is awesome.

Hm. I'm seeing it in standard on iTunes on my PC. Does the blu-ray have a digital copy with it like some others?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Grasshopper Manufacture's Facebook page is excitedly saying that Scott Pilgrim is coming to Japanese theatres in April. I don't have a more direct source, but it sounds legit. I'm happy about that. IMO Scott's fantasy life is 95% based on Japanese videogames so I think it's appropriate!

EDIT: Here's a source.

LosDaddie

Banned
Finally got around to watching this movie (blu-ray via Netflix)....and I can see why it "underperformed" at the box office. The movie was alright...worth a watch and that's about it. Glad I waited 'til I could rent the movie to watch it.

Maybe my expectations were too high, I dunno. I just wasn't as entertained as I thought I would be.

EDIT: Haven't read the comics either.

Marty Chinn said:
Don't buy if you want the Digital Copy included. Mine just arrived today and even though the link and receipt say it includes it, the version I got clearly does not.

This is probably a matter of the digital download codes not being valid anymore anyway so instead of giving you a bunk code they just don't give you a code at all.

BocoDragon said:
Grasshopper Manufacture's Facebook page is excitedly saying that Scott Pilgrim is coming to Japanese theatres in April. I don't have a more direct source, but it sounds legit. I'm happy about that. IMO Scott's fantasy life is 95% based on Japanese videogames so I think it's appropriate!

EDIT: Here's a source.
I know this post is old, but Suda has been tweeting about Scott Pilgrim for weeks. It's really funny.

_dementia said:
Great deal. I should have waited (Haven't even watched my copy yet).
I have my digital copy permanently cued up at Garbage Truck. :3

Dead

well not really...yet
The Digital Copy is valid until April 30th.

The only copies of the Blu-ray with the Digital Copy are the ones with the Slipcover, if it doesn't have a slipcover, its just the blu-ray

JLG-

Dead said:
The only copies of the Blu-ray with the Digital Copy are the ones with the Slipcover, if it doesn't have a slipcover, its just the blu-ray
Really? I just got my copy from amazon (no slipcover) a couple days ago and it has the blu-ray, digital copy, dvd version, and an instant stream bonus movie (Tremors or Pitch black).

JLG- said:
Really? I just got my copy from amazon (no slipcover) a couple days ago and it has the blu-ray, digital copy, dvd version, and an instant stream bonus movie (Tremors or Pitch black).

Did yours say Digital Copy anywhere on the cover though? Mine didn't have a slip cover but I also see no mention of the Digital Copy. On the spine it just shows Blu Ray + DVD. On the back there is no mention even though the pictures of the slip cover show that they do mention it. So is there a code inside still? I haven't opened it cuz i was going to return it.

JLG-

Marty Chinn said:
Did yours say Digital Copy anywhere on the cover though? Mine didn't have a slip cover but I also see no mention of the Digital Copy. On the spine it just shows Blu Ray + DVD. On the back there is no mention even though the pictures of the slip cover show that they do mention it. So is there a code inside still? I haven't opened it cuz i was going to return it.
No it doesn't say anything on the cover or anywhere mentioning a digital copy. On the spine it just says Blu-ray + DVD and on the cover at the top it says, "LEVEL UP! COLLECTOR'S EDITION." Inside there was an insert with the digital copy code and there's also an insert telling you about a free bonus movie that you can stream. I posted a pic in the pick-ups thread.

Pics:
DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

undrtakr900

Just got through watching the movie from Netflix and I have to say Scott Pilgrim(like Kick-Ass) were two comic-to-movie films I'd never heard about before but wound up loving the movies.

LonelyIsland said:
got this for Christmas from my girlfriend:

156770_10150345959450387_651675386_16391027_869379_n.jpg

only the boxset and poster, I added in the bluray and movie ticket just for kicks.
How are the comics? I've never owned any comic(except for Calvin-n-Hobbes) but I'm interested in the Scott Pilgrim one.

big ander

undrtakr900 said:
Just got through watching the movie from Netflix and I have to say Scott Pilgrim(like Kick-Ass) were two comic-to-movie films I'd never heard about before but wound up loving the movies.

How are the comics? I've never owned any comic(except for Calvin-n-Hobbes) but I'm interested in the Scott Pilgrim one.
Comics are great. They're basically the movies but longer. Just as vivid and exciting, but you get even more time with all of the characters.
I don't read comics. The only ones I do are SP and Walking Dead. But Scott Pilgrim comics are still one of my favorite anythings.

undrtakr900 said:

The comics are great. I recommend them to everyone.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
undrtakr900 said:

I found the comics to be fairly unimpressive and subject to the "OMG someone mentioned Zelda in another medium!" phenomenon. I loved the movie, though, and I theorize it's because Scott Pilgrim lives or dies (at least for me) on how likable Scott is. The comic Scott is a borderline irredeemable asshole. The film Scott is a much better person and it was easier to buy a hopeful ending for him.

It's not a bad comic series but it's tremendously overblown by its fanbase. Then again, what isn't? If you liked the movie that much it's probably worth checking them out if you can find them for a decent price or borrow them from someone, just don't expect the masterwork of illustrative literature some try to make it out to be.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MattKeil said:
I found the comics to be fairly unimpressive and subject to the "OMG someone mentioned Zelda in another medium!" phenomenon. I loved the movie, though, and I theorize it's because Scott Pilgrim lives or dies (at least for me) on how likable Scott is. The comic Scott is a borderline irredeemable asshole. The film Scott is a much better person and it was easier to buy a hopeful ending for him.

It's not a bad comic series but it's tremendously overblown by its fanbase. Then again, what isn't? If you liked the movie that much it's probably worth checking them out if you can find them for a decent price or borrow them from someone, just don't expect the masterwork of illustrative literature some try to make it out to be.
You, sir, have the literary opinion of an onion, and I consider your review to be a worse service to mankind than the actions of Hitler.

undrtakr900

big ander said:
Comics are great. They're basically the movies but longer. Just as vivid and exciting, but you get even more time with all of the characters.
I don't read comics. The only ones I do are SP and Walking Dead. But Scott Pilgrim comics are still one of my favorite anythings.
_dementia said:
The comics are great. I recommend them to everyone.
Okay you guys convinced me to get it and its only $7 dollars which is even better :D

I was reading a bit on Amazon-Preview and they follow the movie to a tee... or the movie follows the comic, like the whole opening scene: "We almost held hands once, but then she got embarrassed" heh

Jintor

BocoDragon said:
You, sir, have the literary opinion of an onion, and I consider your review to be a worse service to mankind than the actions of Hitler.

Woah that's some pretty extreme godwinning :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom