• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

I don't think they can just switch between the two endings. The Ramona ending is so vastly superior and validates the entire rest of the film, to me.

OnPoint

butter_stick said:
I don't understand how it can be anyone's top movie of the year, let alone decade. Opinions and such, but the fact they could just easily switch between two endings to me shows the plot is ultimately too shallow to be worthy of that kind of praise.

Less about the destination, more about the journey?

I don't agree -- I thought the ending made perfect sense and the other ending didn't work quite as well, but you know, opinions and such.

big ander said:
I don't think they can just switch between the two endings. The Ramona ending is so vastly superior and validates the entire rest of the film, to me.
But we know that was the alternate ending. The rest of the movie was presumably written to the Knives conclusion?

It's not that the plot is terrible or anything, considering it's a comedy, but I feel like if you take the movie as a complete stand alone, ignoring any prior knowledge of the characters, it struggles. It struggles to truly sell you on the idea of Ramona being much more than a hot chick, or Knives being an enthusiastic teenager. I like the flick, but "movie of the decade" is some crazy praise.

big ander

butter_stick said:
But we know that was the alternate ending. The rest of the movie was presumably written to the Knives conclusion?

It's not that the plot is terrible or anything, considering it's a comedy, but I feel like if you take the movie as a complete stand alone, ignoring any prior knowledge of the characters, it struggles. It struggles to truly sell you on the idea of Ramona being much more than a hot chick, or Knives being an enthusiastic teenager. I like the flick, but "movie of the decade" is some crazy praise.
I don't know what to tell you. I don't even understand the Knives ending. It's nonsensical to me. Every time I've seen the film the Ramona character and her relationship with Scott has made complete sense, and it only makes more sense the more I watch the movie. Not to mention the comedy in the film just 100% clicks with me. I can see where others might not find it funny, but it has me grinning from ear to ear althroughout.
Everything about this movie from the plot to the cast to the sound/music to the visuals is so immensely satisfying to me. I feel like it perfectly relates to my own life and where I am in it.

And let me needlessly clarify my MOTD comment: it's my movie of the decade. People who don't share that opinion have a legitimate opinion. I understand why they don't love it like I do.

big ander said:

sooo. I guess I'm missing something..can someone tell me what the other ending would have been?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
This to me is a movie whose downsides I can easily look past and enjoy. Rarely does that happen in film. Edgar Wright brought us a faithful adaptation of a great graphic novel with a really high rewatchability factor. Can't say i could ask for more. It's something fresh out of an otherwise predictable and sequel-reliant industry. Can't sing its praises enough.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
deadmuffin said:
sooo. I guess I'm missing something..can someone tell me what the other ending would have been?
He winds up with Knives

GameGamer said:
Finally saw it.

It was fun.

But far too long and very incomplete.

Everyone did a good job with the movie.

It was just a mess.
Agree.

Big fan of the graphic novel (but not so much the final volume).

big ander said:
I don't know what to tell you. I don't even understand the Knives ending. It's nonsensical to me. Every time I've seen the film the Ramona character and her relationship with Scott has made complete sense, and it only makes more sense the more I watch the movie. Not to mention the comedy in the film just 100% clicks with me. I can see where others might not find it funny, but it has me grinning from ear to ear althroughout.
Everything about this movie from the plot to the cast to the sound/music to the visuals is so immensely satisfying to me. I feel like it perfectly relates to my own life and where I am in it.

And let me needlessly clarify my MOTD comment: it's my movie of the decade. People who don't share that opinion have a legitimate opinion. I understand why they don't love it like I do.
I'm not denying your right to the opinion. And I get the distinction between best and favorite. I just find it such a difficult opinion to understand :p

big ander

butter_stick said:
I'm not denying your right to the opinion. And I get the distinction between best and favorite. I just find it such a difficult opinion to understand :p
I feel like every time I try to reinforce my opinion, I just end up repeating myself. I love every character interaction, I love the dialogue behind the fights, I love the occasional narrator, etc. I love a lot of movies from the past decade, and I can see that objectively a LOT of those are better than SP. But this remains my absolute favorite.

VariantX04

Found this on /film:

ZZ1C7CF4AB-550x329.jpg

Signed by Guillermo Del Toro :lol

Seth C

big ander said:
I feel like every time I try to reinforce my opinion, I just end up repeating myself. I love every character interaction, I love the dialogue behind the fights, I love the occasional narrator, etc. I love a lot of movies from the past decade, and I can see that objectively a LOT of those are better than SP. But this remains my absolute favorite.

Let me add to your comment and say that absolutely every person I've forced (usually I must) to watch this has thoroughly enjoyed it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't see how Scott settling for the easy relationship that he didn't even want to be in in the first place would make any sense.

GameGamer

Could someone explain the "league" to me please.

I didn't understand the point. Which seemed to be the reason for the movie.

There might be spoilers ahead so please skip this post if you haven't seen the movie.

The league is against what Ramona wants. Ramona even fights one of the league (ex-girlfriend). And the head of the league enslaves her via a computer chip.

So the league is not on Ramonas side.

Everyone in the league is trying to kill Scott.

So the league is not on Scotts side.

So what is the league doing?

6 ex-lovers trying to help the 7th get back with Romona? The twins for example seemed to be working/coordinating with Gideon.

Why would an ex want to keep her away from one man, but not another?

MNC

The league is there to control Ramona's love life. - taken from the film. As for your last remark... I'm not really sure I have an explaination for that :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
WE ARE SEX BOBOMB AND WE'RE HERE TO MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT DEATH AND GET SAD AND STUFF

this is the beginning of the song...

MY THRESSSSHOOOOLD

MY THRESSSSSHHHHOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDD

REEEEACCCHING MY THRRREEEEEAAAAASSSSSHHAAAHHHOOLLLLLLD

UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

'THEY BLEW THE ROOF OFF'

*STOMPS THE PEDAL*

DAKSJDASLK;DASLJ;SALJDSLKAJDLLASKJDSLK;SAJDL;SJALDSJAL;JDLK;

VS.

MY THREEESSSSHOOOOOLD

MY THRREESSSHOOOOOOOOOOLD

RREEEACHING MY THREEASSSSHOOOOLDDD

+5000

1UP

Metal B

GameGamer said:

There might be spoilers ahead so please skip this post if you haven't seen the movie.

The league is against what Ramona wants. Ramona even fights one of the league (ex-girlfriend). And the head of the league enslaves her via a computer chip.
6 ex-lovers trying to help the 7th get back with Romona? The twins for example seemed to be working/coordinating with Gideon.

There to ways to see it:
First: Dont think about it too much
See the League as some endbosses in a videogame. Why has Bowser Seven Children? Why capturing the princess? Why does Dr. Willy create such stupid robtos? What places are they actually conquer? etc. Its just cool and fun.

Second: Think at it as a metaphor.
The Exes are the past and the problems a person brings into a relationship. You as the new lover has to fight this battles, to get closer to an person and get to know him/her. If Scott dies, its the Game Over of the story and relationships (by the way the reason, the Knives Ending would have been the wrong chose).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
GameGamer said:

the way i see it, the whole story is kind of a metaphor for how we approach love/coming of age/personal growth in the modern age.

that and awesome for the sake of awesome

So I was just watching clips on Youtube, and I found the "I gotta pee on her" bit. I decided to look at some of the other things on the wheel. I believe this is the full list:

I gotta pee
Who, her?
It was nothing
Pass out
No, you are
Tell Pac-Man story (my favourite :lol)
Uh...
When's dinner
No speaka English (my second favourite :lol)
Idiot!
She's forty! (third favourite :lol)
She's nobody

Even in the comic the league is a bit vague.
The goal of the league "controlling the future of Ramona's doesn't make a ton of sense either.

Basically,
Gideon get's dumped, get's drunk, finds a bunch of the other ex's online and they just want to kill her new boyfriend.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I liked it somewhat. There were some fun parts, there were some uninteresting parts, there were some really great parts, there were some really terrible parts. Overall, it was positive, but I didn't connect to the characters at all.

RobotNinjaHornets said:
So I was just watching clips on Youtube, and I found the "I gotta pee on her" bit. I decided to look at some of the other things on the wheel. I believe this is the full list:

I gotta pee
Who, her?
It was nothing
Pass out
No, you are
Tell Pac-Man story (my favourite :lol)
Uh...
When's dinner
No speaka English (my second favourite :lol)
Idiot!
She's forty! (third favourite :lol)
She's nobody
This was the FIRST THING I did when I got the Blu-Ray. "No Speaka English" made me laugh soo hard :lol :lol

ezekial45 said:
I'm so delighted to hear this. Scott Pilgrim VS The World is in the top 15 for best visual effects at the oscars (only 5 will be chosen):

http://www.slashfilm.com/final-15-c...=Feed:+slashfilm+(/Film)&utm_content=FaceBook

There's more voting, however. It could be voted out in the next round or so. But i'm glad it's gotten some recognition.

Wow there really haven't been any standouts this year in terms of VFX. Though I haven't seen Tron yet, CG Bridges aside.

DominoKid

so i finally got to see it and i'm a little disappointed. it felt very much like 2 different movies. like it couldnt decide whether it wanted to be a typical Cera RomCom or an action movie.

lots of little neat things going on in the movie but outside of the fights i was a little bit disinterested. Knives was annoying as fuuuuuck too but I felt like Scott should've went with her because the movie actually built up their relationship unlike the Scott/Ramona pairing.

6.5/10. decent movie.

they also REALLY handicapped MEW's looks in this movie. i had no idea she was also John Mcclain's daughter in LFoDH. Brie Larson is an absolute babe in this movie. So was Anna Kendrick. Aubrey Plaza looked relatively homely by comparison. :lol

Brandon Routh was AWESOME!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
big ander said:
Some of my hate for the overall film definitely poured over in that comment; the VFX in it were great in parts.
Then it shouldn't be a surprise to see it nominated for said effects for a category focusing on such, no? ;P

big ander

XiaNaphryz said:
Then it shouldn't be a surprise to see it nominated for said effects for a category focusing on such, no? ;P
It logically makes the short-list, but I will honestly be surprised if it makes the final list of 5. No offense.

Mr. Sam

The Man With No Name said:
Who here is going to the London screening and QA session with Edgar Wright??

Just got my tickets! Happy Days!!

Apparently, my friend got me a ticket. We'll see if it ever materialises.

joelseph

I watched it for the first time this weekend having not read the comic and knowing only a small amount about the story. I fucking loved everything about it.

I watched a good portion of the bonus content and really liked some of the stuff they left on the cutting room floor.
GIDEON GRAVES
ASSHOLE

:lol

Mr. Sam

The best bit from the comics that didn't make the movie was Lucas Lee's speedometer reading "TOO FAST TO LIVE". Chris Evans stole the show regardless.

VariantX04

Armond White picks Scott Pilgrim vs. the World as his movie of the year. Edgar Wright also gets best director. He's always loved Edgar's work. For good reason obviously.

Yeah, Armond White's year end lists are never that bad (until you get to his troll mentions which he just throws in there to fuck with people :lol).

He's a big Edgar Wright fan.

big ander

Discotheque said:
Yeah, Armond White's year end lists are never that bad (until you get to his troll mentions which he just throws in there to fuck with people :lol).

He's a big Edgar Wright fan.
Troll mentions this year like Takers :lol :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just saw this for the first time a few days ago (borrowed from a friend). I loved it so much I got my own copy. And I'm saying this as someone who A. rarely ever watches movies and B. even more rarely ever buys movies. Case in point: Scott Pilgrim vs The World is the only movie I own. :lol

Definitely the best movie I've seen in years.

Altazor

I'd like to post a pic from a girl I know doing a Ramona cosplay... but that could get me in trouble, even if she posted them pics on her flickr. WHAT SHOULD I DO GAF?!

she looks awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom