• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

Gee

Let's just hope the patch contains a fix for the Chau down trophy glitch...

I'm not completing the game with all characters again because of their shitty programming.

Coeliacus

derFeef said:
I am dumb, I can not finish the 2nd level. And everytime I try to block it´s too late, I hate me,
Complete the first level another couple of times and just buy the strength book. Makes the game trivial.

Just noticed this game is now 400 space bucks on XBL I played the demo and it was kind of hard but fun.

do you guys recommend this game or what?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
JetBlackPanda said:
Just noticed this game is now 400 space bucks on XBL I played the demo and it was kind of hard but fun.

Game is awesome. Only problem is the game is buggy so it turned some people off.

What's this about a patch? Are they actually fixing the lock up issues?

Oli

JetBlackPanda said:

It's totally worth it for $5. Go for it.

Ledsen

So I'm thinking about spending 400 MSP on this. My main worry is that it seems very repetitive. Yes, it's a side-scrolling brawler, but look at Turtles in Time for example (my favourite beat 'em up), that game had a lot of different moves and very imaginative stages. Is this game anything like that or is it more like Golden Axe or something? For the record, I found Castle Crashers to be an ok but extremely shallow game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ledsen said:
So I'm thinking about spending 400 MSP on this. My main worry is that it seems very repetitive. Yes, it's a side-scrolling brawler, but look at Turtles in Time for example (my favourite beat 'em up), that game had a lot of different moves and very imaginative stages. Is this game anything like that or is it more like Golden Axe or something? For the record, I found Castle Crashers to be an ok but extremely shallow game.
Once you build up moves, it becomes pretty awesome. The first level or so feels a bit repetitive, but you eventually end up with a much broader assortment of offensive and defensive moves that keep the rhythm going. There's actually a lot more depth here than your average brawler.

I also thought Castle Crashers was a bit repetitive and dull. This is much more fun.

Oh, and you can't ignore the visuals and audio, which are MUCH more interesting than CC.

Ledsen

dark10x said:
Once you build up moves, it becomes pretty awesome. The first level or so feels a bit repetitive, but you eventually end up with a much broader assortment of offensive and defensive moves that keep the rhythm going. There's actually a lot more depth here than your average brawler.

I also thought Castle Crashers was a bit repetitive and dull. This is much more fun.

Oh, and you can't ignore the visuals and audio, which are MUCH more interesting than CC.

Yeah I love the visuals and the music. And if it's a lot better than Castle Crashers, that should make it a good buy. I'll probably be playing it solo for now though.

Crazetex

I'm sure that this has been said already, but the Earthbound-style menu/HUD graphics are great and fit well. I'm seriously tempted to check this out since it's so cheap.

Bought this today, and played through the first three levels. It's very cool, especially since I'm a huge fan of the books.

How is(was) everyone playing this? I played with the D-Pad for a while, but then switched to the analog stick and found it to be much better.

Grayman

Blu_LED said:
Bought this today, and played through the first three levels. It's very cool, especially since I'm a huge fan of the books.

How is(was) everyone playing this? I played with the D-Pad for a while, but then switched to the analog stick and found it to be much better.
I would use the dpad for slow movements and moves but the analog to dash. Arcade sticks apparently work great for it.

Nakiro

To catch something you have to press circle right when it's close to you, like if someone throws a baseball, you press circle when it gets close.

Easier if you bounce something off a wall though.

I wish the stores would tell you what stat the item you are buying is affecting. It's really annoying have to buy random things and waste you money to find and item that raises the stat you want to be raised.

Danj

Blu_LED said:
I wish the stores would tell you what stat the item you are buying is affecting. It's really annoying have to buy random things and waste you money to find and item that raises the stat you want to be raised.

There's always GameFAQs for that. Although some might say the best items in the game can be had by grinding for cash and then paying off Scott's late fees at the video store.

Grisby

Blueblur1 said:
The third stage is giving me trouble. :p

Is that the Clash at the Demonhead's concert level? Yeah, I thought I was king of the world for the first two stages and than that level came along. Had to grind and buy a lot of records/books in order to beat it solo.

Blueblur1

Grisby said:
Is that the Clash at the Demonhead's concert level? Yeah, I thought I was king of the world for the first two stages and than that level came along. Had to grind and buy a lot of records/books in order to beat it solo.
Yes, it is. :p

So, I bought this game on PS3 when it first came out, played the shit out of it, and never encountered any technical problems.

Then, I downloaded the DLC and the 1.01 patch, and now I'm glitching up a storm, with random freezes and audio bugs popping in and out of my gameplay. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Roto13

allegate said:
I did the "bounce on ten heads" and the "beat it under 90 minutes" and neither trophy popped. anyone else have a similar issue?

also, how do you catch stuff?
Are there new trophies or something? :p I don't remember these ones existing.

DryvBy

Brettison said:
Game is awesome. Only problem is the game is buggy so it turned some people off.

What's this about a patch? Are they actually fixing the lock up issues?

Wait..glitchy? Is there a list? I beat it and ran into nothing, outside of
the obvious parts that are purposed cart glitches.

PatzCU

IcebergSlim3000 said:
If I buy this will I be able to take my hd to my brothers house and play the entire game. I'm assuming I have to be signed in to live.

I would like to know this as well as I want to play these games on my roommates' 360 in the 'main' room of our apartment for: Scott Pilgrim, Castle Crashers, N+, Super Meat Boy.

It would be glorious if all you have to do is swap the HD.

the bug fix patch was release with the DLC update right? played earlier and sometimes the enemy won't come out and I can't proceed to the next area. very annoying :\

ps3 version.

PatzCU said:
I would like to know this as well as I want to play these games on my roommates' 360 in the 'main' room of our apartment for: Scott Pilgrim, Castle Crashers, N+, Super Meat Boy.

It would be glorious if all you have to do is swap the HD.

Should be fine. Also could just sign in with your gamertag on his xbox and download it (or put your gamertag/the game on a USB stick).

PatzCU

HadesGigas said:
Should be fine. Also could just sign in with your gamertag on his xbox and download it (or put your gamertag/the game on a USB stick).

If I sign in on my gamertag on his console and download it there, then it can be accessed on his console anytime my gamertag is signed in there? That would be way better than moving the HD.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DryvBy2 said:
Wait..glitchy? Is there a list? I beat it and ran into nothing, outside of
the obvious parts that are purposed cart glitches.

I got knocked into a hole in stage 4, but the game glitched and it didn't kill me. So it was like I was stuck under the floor boards or something. Had to restart the level. The game also tends to do these half-second lock ups, probably like once or twice a level.

I bought this during the 400MSP deal. I'll probably be writing my review in the review thread later tonight.

PatzCU said:
If I sign in on my gamertag on his console and download it there, then it can be accessed on his console anytime my gamertag is signed in there? That would be way better than moving the HD.

Yeah. Only annoyance would be moving the gamertag back and forth, either over the internet or physically on a usb stick/memory card.

DryvBy

ZealousD said:
I got knocked into a hole in stage 4, but the game glitched and it didn't kill me. So it was like I was stuck under the floor boards or something. Had to restart the level. The game also tends to do these half-second lock ups, probably like once or twice a level.

I bought this during the 400MSP deal. I'll probably be writing my review in the review thread later tonight.

Hrm. I bought this day one on PS3 and have went through the levels several times. Is this maybe Xbox only? I was wondering why this game wasn't getting more praise, but apparently, I'm just really lucky(?).

Roto13 said:
Are there new trophies or something? :p I don't remember these ones existing.

Yeah, they added 3 Knives trophies with the patch: do 10 head stomps without landing with Knives, beat the entire game in less than 90 minutes with Knives and catch an item 25 times with Knives.

Rikyfree

allegate said:
I did the "bounce on ten heads" and the "beat it under 90 minutes" and neither trophy popped. anyone else have a similar issue?

also, how do you catch stuff?
How did you do the bounce on 10 heads one?

Proven

IcebergSlim3000 said:
If I buy this will I be able to take my hd to my brothers house and play the entire game. I'm assuming I have to be signed in to live.

You don't have to be signed into Live, but you will have to be signed into your profile. Then, however way you get the game there, from a memory card, an HDD, or just downloading it when you get there, it'll be fine. Your profile is the main key, offline and on.

PatzCU said:
The game is tied to whatever box at the time of purchase, and then also to your profile. This means that if you bought it at home and go over to his place, you can't play it unless you bring your profile there too.

Proven said:
You don't have to be signed into Live, but you will have to be signed into your profile. Then, however way you get the game there, from a memory card, an HDD, or just downloading it when you get there, it'll be fine. Your profile is the main key, offline and on.
You do have to be signed on Xbox Live and on your profile when playing on an other 360.

Proven

Prophet Steve said:
You do have to be signed on Xbox Live and on your profile when playing on an other 360.
If that's the case then I must be magic.

Edit: I go over to a friend's house and play Castle Crashers all the time even with the box offline. The main thing is that I bring my profile with me on a memory stick, and my save data keeps us from playing the trial.

jediyoshi

Proven said:
If that's the case then I must be magic.

Edit: I go over to a friend's house and play Castle Crashers all the time even with the box offline. The main thing is that I bring my profile with me on a memory stick, and my save data keeps us from playing the trial.

That shouldn't be the case then. One of the only reasons license transferring exists is to allow people to play full games on another 360 offline if the account accessing the game is one that purchased the content. Same case with DLC, if you're on another 360 with your account and DLC (ex: Rock Band songs), unless you're signed into Live, it doesn't allow you to access it.

Rikyfree said:
How did you do the bounce on 10 heads one?
Zombie mode. Just play it normal until you think there is a group large enough to handle 10 head stomps. Took me until about the 9 or 10 minute mark to have a large enough group.
MNC said:
How's Knives as a character? Different enough?
Her special you get on the last level is pretty cool, otherwise it's kind of same-y.

Proven

jediyoshi said:
That shouldn't be the case then. One of the only reasons license transferring exists is to allow people to play full games on another 360 offline if the account accessing the game is one that purchased the content. Same case with DLC, if you're on another 360 with your account and DLC (ex: Rock Band songs), unless you're signed into Live, it doesn't allow you to access it.

This describes my experience with Rock Band though. Weird. I'll try it again in a week or two.

And I thought license transferring existed so that you could play the game offline without having to log in with the account that bought it on the off chance you bought the game at a friend's place. There were supposed to be two licenses, one tied to the box, so you can play offline without signing in (say, a friend plays some single player game), and one tied to your profile/account, so you can play at a friend's house (even offline) and redownload the game as often as you want.

Castle Crashers is already an anomaly itself since it saves your data on a server as well as your hard drive, so I don't even need my memory card when I go to a friend's place; I just have to recover my gamertag and all my leveled characters are still there.

Nakiro

Is it just me or are the trophies not uploaded to the server yet for this game. What would the best way to let Sony know about this, since I'm tired of the syncing error 4/5 times...

Nakiro said:
Is it just me or are the trophies not uploaded to the server yet for this game. What would the best way to let Sony know about this, since I'm tired of the syncing error 4/5 times...

I got all three trophies for the DLC and they don't appear on my profile.

Top Bottom