• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

Santiako

I already have 200/200 achievement points and I'm going for the fifth time tomorrow with nega. I love this game. Love it.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Should i be buying every accessory i can in level 3 over and over again? I cant seem to complete more than a world without a continue.

What increases attack?

Buy the record Smashing Turnips or the book 101 Push-ups over and over (both in the market on the first level).

Danj

Santiako said:
Buy the record Smashing Turnips or the book 101 Push-ups over and over (both in the market on the first level).

Or you could
save up $260 and buy two Bionic Arms at Wallace's secret shop (behind the star graffiti on the underpass in the shopping district) and max your STR right to 100
. Now I just need to find good ways to max the other stats, I'm still getting hit a fair amount so I guess I need more DEF or something.

Roto13

Jipan said:
I got this game yesterday and beat it earlier today. It's pretty damn good for 10 bucks. The game did freeze on me once on the 6th stage. I think XBLA should have more beat-em-ups so that's why I bought it. The game becomes extremely easy once you upgrade your stats and level up and grind stages for cash, especially Wallace's shop's items. I've only read volumes 1 and 2 and a little bit of 3 (although I skipped around it) and quickly skimmed through volume 6 so I'm more or less familiar with most of the characters. I plan on doing another run with Stills and maybe run it again with my maxed out Scott on Hard.
When maxed out, even Hard is Easy.

Santiako

Danj said:
Or you could
save up $260 and buy two Bionic Arms at Wallace's secret shop (behind the star graffiti on the underpass in the shopping district) and max your STR right to 100
. Now I just need to find good ways to max the other stats, I'm still getting hit a fair amount so I guess I need more DEF or something.

It's the same for every stat, buy the record or book over and over, it's the cheapest way.

I did it normally for my first two people but then for the last two I just had one person character 'lend' the money to the others to open the video store.

Finally played some of this last night. It's great but it's so hard playing by myself!

I really love the sprite artwork. Pretty cool!

This game seems pretty long. Each level is really lengthy.

Danj

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Finally played some of this last night. It's great but it's so hard playing by myself!

Hmm, I just had a thought. Are all the people who are finding it hard using the D-pad? If so, try using the analog stick instead? That's what I'm using and I haven't found it terribly hard so far, and I'm like one of the world's suckiest gamers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay so I completed the game for the 1st time and wonder...

WTF was up with the ending I got? It seemed as if Scott didn't get Ramona and he just lead a left happily ever after with the other chicks in his life (or did he?)? WTF is there a way to get another ending?

Also gosh damn I thought MY name was gonna come up in the credits. It's like they thanked EVERYONE + some. Holy shit they seemed long, but maybe that's just me. :lol :lol :lol

Also what's with the radio tower thing to the left of stage 1?

Danj said:
Hmm, I just had a thought. Are all the people who are finding it hard using the D-pad? If so, try using the analog stick instead? That's what I'm using and I haven't found it terribly hard so far, and I'm like one of the world's suckiest gamers.
I tried that. I'm more comfortable with the d-pad though.

The game is meant for co-op or it shines with playing with friends.

It's a challenge doing it alone, but it's still a good game.

conman

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I tried that. I'm more comfortable with the d-pad though.

The game is meant for co-op or it shines with playing with friends.

It's a challenge doing it alone, but it's still a good game.
It's only challenging if you're not buying upgrades. Singleplayer's a breeze after a couple of stat increases.

Also, I'm using the d-pad. Seems to suit the game better. Tried using an arcade stick, but the inability to remap the buttons made the game harder than it should be.

Jme

Santiako said:
It's the same for every stat, buy the record or book over and over, it's the cheapest way.

Here is the absolute cheapest way to max every stat (via gamefaqs)

World 1
Sushi Bar
- Avocado Hosomaki at $2.50 x 4 = $10.00 +$10.00
+1 Spd each for total of +4 Spd
Shock Wave Record
- Smashing Turnips at $16.95 x 12 = $203.40 +$203.40
+8 Str each for a total of +96 Str
- Crash and the Boys at $14.95 x 12 = $179.40 +$179.40
+8 Spd each for a total of +96 Spd
World 5
Scott's Dad BBQ
- Kebab at $4.95 x 2 = $9.90 +$9.90
+2 Str each for a total of +4 Str
World 6
Mobile's Secret House
- Sauteed Shiitake at $9.95 x 25 = $248.75 +$248.75
+4 Def and +4 WP for a total of +100 Def and +100 WP ---------
=$661.45

jergrah

Up for grabs -- been meaning to give this away for a few weeks and forgot about it:

(PS3)Scott Pilgrim - Sex Bob-omb T-Shirt Serial Number: 8L74-CKBD-TA74

Solune

handofg0d said:
Here is the absolute cheapest way to max every stat (via gamefaqs)

I guess that's the cheapest way.. without resorting to paying off Scott's late fees.

Paying it off + 10 Seven Shaolin Masters = $553.75

Danj

Solune said:
I guess that's the cheapest way.. without resorting to paying off Scott's late fees.

Paying it off + 10 Seven Shaolin Masters = $553.75

So I guess the next question is, what's the easiest way to get enough money to pay off Scott's late fees?

mandiller

I love this game but all the stupid freezing is annoying me. I've had to hard reset my console 4 times now because the game locked up. I sure hope they release a patch any day now so I can finish it without being frustrated.

Danj said:
So I guess the next question is, what's the easiest way to get enough money to pay off Scott's late fees?

Max out strength and then grind through the first three levels. Make sure you destroy as many pigs as possible in subspace.

XiaNaphryz said:
Abuse the money sharing trick?

That too, but you need at least two controllers. Also, in the shopping district there are parking meters which offer some money. I think there are two of them, but it's worth getting them if you remember to do so.

Hige

XiaNaphryz said:
Abuse the money sharing trick?
Can't duplicate money on the 360 version. :(

Fastest way to make money for me seemed to be going to stage 5 with the sword code turned on and entering the door on the left into the subspace section. There's ~7 hidden blocks there and you can attack all of them at once by standing just behind the two on the left (the blocks should cover your character). Nets you about $20 in under a minute including load times. Just exit to map and repeat.

XenoRaven

I know nothing about Scott Pilgrim other than what I learned from this game. And unless there is something important about the story that I don't know, I have determined that Ramona Flowers is a terrible decision-maker.

Danj

So I finally made it to the end of the game, and I'm wondering if I missed something, because
the game said Ramona left and Scott started dating all 3 other girls at once
? Is there some secret objective I didn't complete or something, or is that really the ending?

Also, I sat through the credits (just in case I had to to get a cleared game save or whatever) and I noticed two things: one, there was a big old POWERED BY ADOBE FLASH logo, just wondering how that works on the 360, do companies license the engine from Adobe and port it to 360 or what? And two, there sure seems to be a heck of a lot of people called Tremblay at Ubisoft.

MNC

Danj said:
So I finally made it to the end of the game, and I'm wondering if I missed something, because
the game said Ramona left and Scott started dating all 3 other girls at once
? Is there some secret objective I didn't complete or something, or is that really the ending?

Also, I sat through the credits (just in case I had to to get a cleared game save or whatever) and I noticed two things: one, there was a big old POWERED BY ADOBE FLASH logo, just wondering how that works on the 360, do companies license the engine from Adobe and port it to 360 or what? And two, there sure seems to be a heck of a lot of people called Tremblay at Ubisoft.
Endings are different for all characters.

Danj

MNC said:
Endings are different for all characters.

So does one of the other characters have an ending where
Scott does get Ramona
? Also, are there any differences in terms of style of play with the other characters compared to Scott?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Does it matter what system you buy the game on? Any benefits to one system than the other? My PS3 is still not updated because of Other OS so I don't really have access to the PSN Store.

Suairyu

Banned
Trojita said:
Does it matter what system you buy the game on? Any benefits to one system than the other? My PS3 is still not updated because of Other OS so I don't really have access to the PSN Store.
Get it on whatever console you have the most controllers for.

Finally got all trophies and finished my run as secret fifth character this morning. I take it we're still waiting on the sixth, despite fairly probable theories to its identity?

Suairyu said:
Get it on whatever console you have the most controllers for.

Finally got all trophies and finished my run as secret fifth character this morning. I take it we're still waiting on the sixth, despite fairly probable theories to its identity?
We'll be waiting for a while. Supposed to be pay DLC with the DVD release of the movie.

Suairyu

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
We'll be waiting for a while. Supposed to be pay DLC with the DVD release of the movie.
: O
They lovingly craft a game that harkens back to the old days of the medium then insert pay DLC into it? The fuck is that?

Draft

Suairyu said:
They lovingly craft a game that harkens back to the old days of the medium then insert pay DLC into it? The fuck is that?
You see, what they're actually doing is exploiting your love for game design that harkens back to the old days of the medium.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hopefully they don't decide to wait that long before putting out a patch.

Oh wait they already got my money didn't they? Shit.

Suairyu said:
Almost fooled you into thinking it wasn't a modern Ubisoft game, hunh? Those clever bastards!

I was hoping to see the movie before I played the game, but I missed the boat and now I'll have to wait until the DVD release. Not familiar with these characters at all. But the game was sure fun. Just beat it with Scott.
Kinda sad you get a trophy for beating the game with him called "Getting the Girl" and yet you... don't. What's up with that?

But all franchise ignorance aside. Loved all the clever nods, especially all the Mega Man ones.

Coeliacus

Completed the game with both Ramona and Stills. Romona was my own playthrough on my PS3, and Stills with my friend on his. Also played as Kim on a friends 360 with 3 of us... didn't finish it but that was our only freeze on the train level.

Romona's dash heavy attack with the hammer makes soloing multiple enemies quite easy. I didn't like Stills much until right at the end with that overpowered rolling attack.

Yet to see Kim do anything cool.
Except for the Knives assist. Nice nod to the graphic novels.
This thread has inspired me to go finish it with her.

Also, since my friend was 1p with Ramona I had no idea that there were different endings, I'll have to check them out.

Macmanus

mandiller said:
I love this game but all the stupid freezing is annoying me. I've had to hard reset my console 4 times now because the game locked up. I sure hope they release a patch any day now so I can finish it without being frustrated.

All of this, including the amount of hard resets.

I don't know anything about Scott Pilgrim, nor do I even care. I do however know that I love beat-em-ups and River City Ransom. This game has a wonderful art style and scratches a very particular itch.

I'm consistently finding more games worth my time on XBLA and PSN than any of the major AAA releases.

Beardz

I fucking love this game, and the best thing is... my gf loves it too! :D

We spend hours playing this thing, this is the first time that something like this happen... the funny thing is she tried Castle Crashers and she didn't like it... weird.

I hope Ubisoft makes a sequel.

PBalfredo

Danj said:
So does one of the other characters have an ending where
Scott does get Ramona
? Also, are there any differences in terms of style of play with the other characters compared to Scott?
Yes, in Ramona's ending

Each character has their own pair of unique special moves, there are some slight differences in their standard attacks and Knives does something different depending on which character summons her, but aside from that they play the same.

Rikyfree

Finished the game today. My favorite beatemup OF ALL TIME! I love the track 'The Dark One.' Seriously, you don't have to like 8 bit rock to know that song is completely fucking epic.

kevm3

The quickest way to level up is to max out your speed first because you can move lightning quick through the first level and hit those subspace highways a lot faster to get your money up.

kevm3 said:
The quickest way to level up is to max out your speed first because you can move lightning quick through the first level and hit those subspace highways a lot faster to get your money up.

Actually I got another idea, use the code for that beam sword and replay the first level. I grinded that way and its damn quick.

Top Bottom