• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pruitt confirmed by Senate to head EPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Don't be like this person. Talk like this is just as, or possibly more dangerous as anything Trump or any of his cronies said. Somebody needed to be put in, and its not going to be someone Democrats like. If/when Pruitt fucks up, that's the time to go after him. Condemning the whole party is just immature and won't solve anything.

The bolded is only true because Republicans are currently cartoon villains. It certainly hasn't always been the case.

gdt

I bet Sanders has to be pretty livid right now. This was a pretty big thing for him.

Where is Obama in all this? Like the world going up in flames, but he won't say anything.

This was a lost cause. He wouldn't convince anyone as this was always going to happen. They have a majority.

Foffy

Banned
Does anybody know if the information Pruitt has to give to the courts on Tuesday could cause him to be booted from his role?

I mean, incriminating evidence of domestic violence killed Trump's labor pick. What about actual climate chaos?

ascii42

Dems who don't vote for the destruction of our planet? Or am I missing something?

Those Democrats are from North Dakota and West Virginia. What makes you think they'd necessarily be replaced with another Democrat? And one that's not going to vote in the interests of the coal industry at that?

Surfinn

Those Democrats are from North Dakota and West Virginia. What makes you think they'd necessarily be replaced with another Democrat? And one that's not going to vote in the interests of the coal industry at that?
What's the damn difference if they don't do their job?

Does anybody know if the information Pruitt has to give to the courts on Tuesday could cause him to be booted from his role?

I mean, incriminating evidence of domestic violence killed Trump's labor pick. What about actual climate chaos?

Didn't the Hardee's CEO ex wife who made those allegations recant her statements?

And from all accounts, this Pruitt fella is a huge enemy to the environment, even if he tried to build a death ray and destroy the sun, will Republicans really care?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bet Sanders has to be pretty livid right now. This was a pretty big thing for him.

Where is Obama in all this? Like the world going up in flames, but he won't say anything.

What do you expect him to do?

He warned everyone about the consequences of this election while he was president. Not enough people in places where it mattered listened to him.

I imagine the guy is very tired after spending so many years dealing with ignorant racists who have no principles or policies and are only in politics for personal gain.

Xe4

Banned
The difference is they still mostly side with democrats. The most conservative democrat is still quite a bit to the left of the most liberal republican.

And there would not be a liberal republican elected in WV or ND. They would be far far to the right, even in the GOP.

It's not perfect, but this is what a 50 state strategy looks like. If you want democrats in conservative states, they're going to have to be a bit more conservative than the average.

Good to see Susan Collins continue to prove she's the only Republican with half a spine. She knows she's getting primaried out in 2018 and she's going to go out in style.

Of course the other Dem senator to vote yes besides Manchin was from North fucking Dakota.

Surfinn

The difference is they still mostly side with democrats. The most conservative democrat is still quite a bit to the left of the most liberal republican.

And there would not be a liberal republican elected in WV or ND. They would be far far to the right, even in the GOP.

It's not perfect, but this is what a 50 state strategy looks like. If you want democrats in conservative states, they're going to have to be a bit more conservative than the average.
So you think their voting for this is validated?

Xe4

Banned
So you think their voting for this is validated?
I'd rather they didn't, but I can't entirely blame them. Voting against coal and gas intrests is the number one way to loose reelection, which they are both facing in 2 years. I will blame them when they are the deciding vote in a matter and go against democrats. Here, it was entirely symbolic.

Bishman

Its always that Manchin guy, always. He has voted yes several times on Trump cabinet nominees. I continue to ask why is he even a Democrat. And lets not forget his daughter is the CEO of EpiPen, that should tell you all you need to know about this guy.

Manchin might as well be a Republican.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

dewb4yA.png

kqgSUFk.png

He has the highest Trump score for Democrats.

etrain911

Of course it is Heitkamp who was considered for Agricultural secretary and Manchin. Those two are DINOs and deserve to be primaried.

They are doing their job. Voters in those states basically regardless of party are single issue voters on oil and coal. You can have purple dems in some states, or super red replacement Republicans. Pick one.

tbm24

The people of their state, whom they represent, put them there specifically for something like that as hey are largely dependent on their energy sector for their livelihood. It's not surprising they voted the way they did. You can't expect different until the states themselves are weened off that dependency.

Surfinn

I'd rather they didn't, but I can't entirely blame them. Voting against coal and gas intrests is the number one way to loose reelection, which they are both facing in 2 years. I will blame them when they are the deciding vote in a matter and go against democrats. Here, it was entirely symbolic.
I'd say taking a stand for the future of the planet is slightly more important than re-election but that's just me. What else are they gunna vote for to simply retain their seat?

Fucking :lol

What a complete bunch of spineless hacks.

I can't wait until he has to release those conversations from his time as OK Attorney General next week and Republicans have to defend this shit.

They won't have to defend it. Next Trump controversy will drown it out and make everyone forget.

Maengun1

The difference is, Heitkamp and Manchin are sitting senators who will vote with the rest of the dems 5 or 6 times out of 10. If you primary them out with a super liberal, they will lose their seat to an actual republican who will vote with the dems 0 times out of 10. You cannot get a senator in North Dakota or West Virginia who will be liberal all the time. It is, simply, impossible. I wish they were more liberal, but it's not a winning battle in certain states. It just isn't. We ain't getting better than them there.

As far as Pruitt getting confirmed, it's fucking awful, we're doomed, etc. Same news as yesterday.

Surfinn

The difference is, Heitkamp and Manchin are sitting senators who will vote with the rest of the dems 5 or 6 or 7 times out of 10. If you primary them out with a super liberal, they will lose their seat to an actual republican who will vote with the dems 0 times out of 10. You cannot get a senator in North Dakota or West Virginia who will be liberal all the time. It is, simply, impossible. I wish they were more liberal, but it's not a winning battle in certain states. It just isn't. We ain't getting better than them there.

As far as Pruitt getting confirmed, it's fucking awful, we're doomed, etc. Same news as yesterday.
No I understand it. I'm just saying.. Settling on the destruction of the planet as we know it is a really fucked up thing to compromise on. That's gotta trump any other issue that you'd want to fight for? Maybe just don't get re-elected if you're going to support something so goddamn terrible. At some point you're not too much different than a Republican if this is lower than anything else on your list of priorities.

Xe4

Banned
Manchin might as well be a Republican.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

dewb4yA.png

kqgSUFk.png

He has the highest Trump score for Democrats.
Yet still lower than King, who canvases with democrats, and far lower than Collins, who is generally considered one of the most liberal republicans. So no, he may not "just as well be a republican".

Edit: Misread the graph, still he tries a lot harder to be liberal in his state than King does in fucking Maine.
I'd say taking a stand for the future of the planet is slightly more important than re-election but that's just me. What else are they gunna vote for to simply retain their seat?
Probably most things related to coal or natural gas, at least not unless democrats have the numbers when they could make a difference. It's unfortunate, but that's how it works in WV and ND.

Again, it's not ideal, but this is how a 50 state strategy, which most people want, works. You run who you can win with. In moderate and liberal states you can run some pretty liberal folks. In deep red states, you take what you can get.

Well, there goes the climate.

Jesus, what else can Trump and crew destroy next?

ehh whatever.. the climate would get wrecked anyway by an asteroid sooner or later. just think of Trump as a huuuge unavoidable asteroid or comet (with a really small tail) and you'll sleep better.

Foffy

Banned
Didn't the Hardee's CEO ex wife who made those allegations recant her statements?

And from all accounts, this Pruitt fella is a huge enemy to the environment, even if he tried to build a death ray and destroy the sun, will Republicans really care?

She did, but she was also on the Oprah show back in the 1990s. Apparently, the episode resurfaced and Republicans found that to be a hot button issue, and why some were going to say no. Not because he hates the minimum wage. Not because he was direct with automation, which made the left childishly seethe. But because of something happening 20+ years ago.

I think that unless Pruitt has similar skeletons, they won't care. If it's destroying the biosphere? Most of them think there's a vitalism between organism and environment; that false view already warps any information within that topic.

They likely don't care about any of the information articulated by Rachel Maddow, for example. That's why they didn't postpone the vote until Tuesday.

To call the GOP a terrorist organisation is becoming less absurd by the week.

Hale-XF11

Just in time for the soon to be obsolete coal industry to do as much damage to the environment as it possibly can.

Bishman

Notice how in that chart his predicted score is still 26 points higher than his actual voting record. He's not great but he's still a Democrat.

And then what? We give up those states to the GOP?

Yet still lower than King, who canvases with democrats, and far lower than Collins, who is generally considered one of the most liberal republicans. So no, he may not "just be a republican".

Edit: Misread the graph, still he tries a lot harder to be liberal in his state than King does in fucking Maine.

Probably most things related to coal or natural gas, at least not unless democrats have the numbers when they could make a difference. It's unfortunate, but that's how it works in WV and ND.

Again, it's not ideal, but this is how a 50 state strategy, which most people want, works. You run who you can win with. In moderate and liberal states you can run some pretty liberal folks. In deep red states, you take what you can get.

Yeah I rather have them than a Republican but still disappointing. Hopefully if they get reelected in 2018, they side more with the Democrats.

Madness

"He's exceptionally qualified," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. "He's dedicated to environmental protection. And, as someone with state government experience, he understands the real-world consequences of EPA actions and knows that balance is the key to making policies that are sustainable over the long-term.

And we expect our children to be good, just, moral people who don't lie. Good people don't get anywhere. Be a lying fuck like Trump and Mcconnell and get ahead. How is flat out lies and untruths being allowed like this.

Tovarisc

Emails show ties between new EPA head, energy firms: watchdog

Emails released by the Oklahoma attorney general's office show a cozy relationship between energy companies and Scott Pruitt, who was the state's top prosecutor before being sworn in last week as the new chief U.S. environmental regulator, a media watchdog group said on Wednesday.

The Center for Media and Democracy has sought the release of emails between energy companies and Pruitt for the past two years, saying they show energy companies drafted language that Pruitt's attorney general office then used in suing the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the office he now heads, over regulations on energy operations.

The attorney general's office released more than 7,500 pages of emails late on Tuesday, holding back an unknown number of documents it called exempted or privileged.

Among the documents released were communications between Devon Energy and Pruitt's office that suggest the company gave the Oklahoma officials language on limits on methane emissions at oil and gas operations. Pruitt's office then used this language in suing the EPA over the regulations, the documents suggest.

The EPA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Nick Surgey, a research director at the Center for Media and Democracy, called the document release a "major breakthrough" that revealed a close and friendly relationship between Pruitt's office and the oil and gas industry, with frequent meetings, calls, and dinners.

The center said before the release of the emails that Pruitt's office had violated Oklahoma's Open Records Act by delaying their issuance.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...133d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Good thing that GOP rushed vote through and didn't wait for these emails to be released. Absolutely nothing to see here. Nope.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Emails show ties between new EPA head, energy firms: watchdog

Emails released by the Oklahoma attorney general's office show a cozy relationship between energy companies and Scott Pruitt, who was the state's top prosecutor before being sworn in last week as the new chief U.S. environmental regulator, a media watchdog group said on Wednesday.

The Center for Media and Democracy has sought the release of emails between energy companies and Pruitt for the past two years, saying they show energy companies drafted language that Pruitt's attorney general office then used in suing the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the office he now heads, over regulations on energy operations.

The attorney general's office released more than 7,500 pages of emails late on Tuesday, holding back an unknown number of documents it called exempted or privileged.

Among the documents released were communications between Devon Energy and Pruitt's office that suggest the company gave the Oklahoma officials language on limits on methane emissions at oil and gas operations. Pruitt's office then used this language in suing the EPA over the regulations, the documents suggest.

The EPA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Nick Surgey, a research director at the Center for Media and Democracy, called the document release a "major breakthrough" that revealed a close and friendly relationship between Pruitt's office and the oil and gas industry, with frequent meetings, calls, and dinners.

The center said before the release of the emails that Pruitt's office had violated Oklahoma's Open Records Act by delaying their issuance.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...133d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Good thing that GOP rushed vote through and didn't wait for these emails to be released. Absolutely nothing to see here. Nope.

Yep, opposition fought tooth and nail with all-night sessions to push and plead for a delay until these emails were released(actually until after 3/3 given the president's day week given few will be available until returning from districts).

Of course the GOP cheated this fuckwit in. They can all choke. This needs to be a widespread story scandal on par with that other email scandal. I mean this evidence exists and should be a stain on every single one that voted him through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom