• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scream Factory: The Thing Collector's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at this beauty.

7112_tn.jpg
Scream Factory, the horror-thriller offshoot of independent film distributor Shout Factory, has detailed its upcoming two-disc Collector's Edition of director John Carpenter's classic film The Thing. The release will be available for purchase on September 20.

Synopsis: Horror-meister John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape from New York) teams Kurt Russell's outstanding performance with incredible visuals to build this chilling version of the classic The Thing. In the winter of 1982, a twelve-man research team at a remote Antarctic research station discovers an alien buried in the snow for over 100,000 years. Once unfrozen, the form-changing alien wreaks havoc, creates terror and becomes one of them.

Special Features:

• NEW 2K scan of the Inter-positive supervised and approved by director of photography Dean Cundey
  • NEW 4.1 created from the original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo soundtrack
  • NEW Audio Commentary with director of photography Dean Cundey
  • NEW The Men of Outpost 31 - interviews with Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney and more…
  • NEW Assembling and Assimilation – an interview with editor Todd Ramsay
  • NEW Behind the Chameleon – interviews with visual effects artists Peter Kuran and Susan Turner, special make-up effects artist Rob Burman and Brian Wade and more….
  • NEW Sounds from the Cold – interviews with supervising sound editor David Lewis Yewdall and special sound effects designer Alan Howarth
  • NEW Between the Lines – an interview with novelization author Alan Dean Foster
  • Audio Commentary by director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – a documentary on the making of THE THING featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, special effects make-up designer Rob Bottin, legendary matte artist Albert Whitlock plus members of the cast and crew (80 minutes – SD)
  • Outtakes (5 minutes - SD)
  • Vintage featurettes from the electronic press kit featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell and Rob Bottin (12 minutes - SD)
  • Vintage featurettes – The Making of a Chilling Tale and The Making of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes - SD)
  • Vintage Product Reel – contains a promotional condensed version of the film with additional footage not in the film (19 minutes - SD)
  • Vintage Behind-the-Scenes footage (2 minutes - SD)
  • Annotated Production Archive – Production Art and Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes - SD)
  • Network TV Broadcast version of THE THING (92 minutes - SD)
  • Teaser Trailer & Theatrical Trailers (U.S. and German Trailer)
  • TV spots & Radio Spots
  • Still Gallery (behind-the-scenes photos, posters and lobby cards)
AND MORE...

Sauce, Day 1.

Steamlord

Well, the new transfer and special features are beauties. That artwork not so much.

Although for those who don't know, Scream Factory always includes reversible covers with the original artwork on the other side. So you'll still have that Struzan goodness.

Can't wait, personally. Shout/Scream always does good work.

Ridley327

The crazy about the special features is that this isn't all of them.

Easily the frontrunner for my most anticipated media release of this year.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn Shout Factory has been on a roll for a long time now. Been getting their Blu Rays since they released that great version of They Live.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Well, FECK IT! Scream Factory pretty much means it's region locked, and I'd do anything to get this over the DNR'd Universal release. Looks like the best version for me to get is still the HD DVD version.

Obscura

Bought.

Where's the soundtrack on a separate disc though? Scream Factory and the like should be taking notes from Grindhouse Releasing.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
4.1?

If Disney can make convincing 7.1 tracks from ancient mono sources I'm sure an engineer could have produced a decent 5.1 mix from the stereo original here.

The crazy about the special features is that this isn't all of them.

Easily the frontrunner for my most anticipated media release of this year.

Their release of Army of Darkness is probably my favorite of the bunch. Drowned in extras plus all cuts of the film spread across 3 blurays.

-shadow-

I already own the film on blu-ray, however the transfer is somewhat lacking. So I absolutely can't wait for this transfer. The extra's are amazing! But only a 2K remaster from the interpositive however? Why not 4K of the original master (if the last is available)?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can almost retire my HD-DVD player now.

The idea of a second "limited" edition slipcover is kind of funny to me. I mean, really like slipcovers and all, but what do you with an extra one?

Do you alternate them every other month?
Throw it on an empty case just to display maybe?

They do look pretty good on my shelf.

Would jump on this if it was a steelbook.

There is a Mondo steelbook of the already released Blu-ray if you're interested. It's barebones though when it comes to features.

Well, the new transfer and special features are beauties. That artwork not so much.

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with the art. Even just having everyone's faces in the blue around a white centre would have been better than hobbit Kurt Russell.

Ridley327

I already own the film on blu-ray, however the transfer is somewhat lacking. So I absolutely can't wait for this transfer. The extra's are amazing! But only a 2K remaster from the interpositive however? Why not 4K of the original master (if the last is available)?

I imagine only Universal knows why they had just the interpositive available for a new scan, but the good news is that an interpositive is quite literally the next best thing to the OCN, and having the original DoP supervise and approve the transfer is a really big boon to boot. Cundey did an amazing job of restoring Halloween to its former glory, and I fully anticipate similar results here.

As to why only 2K instead of 4K, I can only imagine it being an issue of economics for Universal.

Did the remake retcon the bacteria takeover method. . . I don't think they touched on it at all. By that I mean slow takeover from just a few cells replicating in your body like bacteria.

that Carpenter/Russell commentary is one of my favorite ever.

weird that they don't have Rob Bottin for any of the new special features, but the way undervalued Dean Cundey getting getting some of that spotlight makes it all better.

Ridley327

that Carpenter/Russell commentary is one of my favorite ever.

weird that they don't have Rob Bottin for any of the new special features, but the way undervalued Dean Cundey getting getting some of that spotlight makes it all better.

I'm getting the feeling that the pending special features are related to the big name guys like Carpenter, Russell and Bottin. Shout doesn't want to promise new material from those guys unless they're damn sure they can get them for a few hours to chat about the film and on camera.

All of their releases have been CEs. I don't think they've yet to produce a "regular" version of these films, and the less elaborate releases are already using the original poster artwork.

Does every horror movie Shout Factory releases fall under their Scream Factory line? If so, they have released plenty of non-CE titles. If not... then I guess you are correct.

Ridley327

Does every horror movie Shout Factory releases fall under their Scream Factory line? If so, they have released plenty of non-CE titles. If not... then I guess you are correct.

They do, and not all of them are CEs, but as I said, the CEs have always had reversible art with the original poster artwork, while the non-CEs are generally just the poster artwork. Even the multi-film releases they've done retain them, albeit in tinier boxes.

Grabbed the Deluxe Collector's Edition since it comes with a couple of slipcases, a couple of posters and arrives 3 weeks early :).

Day 1, looks like an awesome set.

Hoping for some Morricone stuff. I read one of the early dvd editions had a track where his full score was used. Even if it's just lossy dolby stereo I'd still love to watch it.

Edit: just ordered the deluxe edition.

I grabbed a deluxe edition as soon as it went up this morning. I already own the original blu-ray but the transfer leaves a lot to be desired.

Any know if the posters will be folded or shipped in a poster tube?

Kinda sucks it is not a 4k scan but ill dip on that release too whenever it comes out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Any know if the posters will be folded or shipped in a poster tube?

Folded last time I got one, I actually wrote them a little letter saying I would have paid for the extra shipping to get it rolled up. Maybe they have that option now.

Ridley327

Folded last time I got one, I actually wrote them a little letter saying I would have paid for the extra shipping to get it rolled up. Maybe they have that option now.

I don't think they've ever sent their posters rolled. Not even for the big Nightbreed set they put out.

Ridley327

I'd imagine there'd be a great deal of improvement, but it might be a budget thing or a deal with Universal.

Universal seems like they've been slower on the 4K restorations than the other studios. Like I said, I imagine it's more of an economics issue than the materials being poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom