• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scream Factory: The Thing Collector's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

Scream Factory is the Criterion of Horror films they are doing gods work.

I have every one of their releases w/ slip.

that Carpenter/Russell commentary is one of my favorite ever.

weird that they don't have Rob Bottin for any of the new special features, but the way undervalued Dean Cundey getting getting some of that spotlight makes it all better.

I'm getting the feeling that the pending special features are related to the big name guys like Carpenter, Russell and Bottin. Shout doesn't want to promise new material from those guys unless they're damn sure they can get them for a few hours to chat about the film and on camera.

Would Bottin even do any interviews? Don't think he's done any in at least the last decade or something?

mjc

In for one, although I'm not sure which. Probably not the Deluxe, having a second slipcover lying around is kind of weird. I don't see the point.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
My last copy of this movie was the HD-DVD, so this'll be a nice upgrade.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The main blu ray release for this movie was barebones in extras, like even less than the DVD and it wasn't a very nice looking Blu Ray either.

mjc

Screw it, in for the deluxe edition. Not sure what I'm gonna do with an extra slipcase but maybe I'll throw it on the copy I already have.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Holy shit I just realized Jenova from FF7 is basically the Thing.

Bane

Ordered the Zavvi steelbook for this last year but just double dipped for the collector's and will put it in the steelbook.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My last copy of this movie was the HD-DVD, so this'll be a nice upgrade.

The HD-DVD is better than the currently available Blu-ray. There's tons of room for improvement, though.

Zombine

Banned
I watch this movie 3 times a year. It's in my top 5 films of all time and I'm still watching the DVD I've had since high school because the original Blu release was bare bones. I can finally retire it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The HD-DVD is better than the currently available Blu-ray. There's tons of room for improvement, though.

Shame I don't have an HD-DVD player anymore...but at this point I should part ways with my HD-DVDs anyway.

Oh wow, I can't wait for this! It's ridiculous it's taken this long for a great Blu-ray release of this classic. The current version just doesn't cut it.

Ridley327

Oh wow, I can't wait for this! It's ridiculous it's taken this long for a great Blu-ray release of this classic. The current version just doesn't cut it.

I'm glad that Universal has decided to open their library up to Shout Factory as a part of their distribution deal, because they've got a lot of stuff that I'm certain Shout could do serious justice to.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Between this and the Return of the Living Dead Blu-ray, Scream Factory has become one of my favorite producers/distributors. The extras sound amazing!

Ari-Gold-Anger-Throws-Phone-Against-Wall-Entourage.gif

I just bought a different bluray of this movie last week

I know that feeling all too well.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Deluxe edition sold out already.

Scream Factory is the Criterion of Horror films they are doing gods work.

I have every one of their releases w/ slip.

Criterion for genre films in general. I got their mad max too.

So damn good at these releases. Day one for this.

I got John Carpenter to sign my old shitty bluray copy but then I lost it when I was moving :(

More special features to be added!

DISC ONE:

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
  • NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Director of Photography Dean Cundey
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
  • Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
  • TV Spots
  • Radio Spots
  • Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)

DISC TWO:

• NEW Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
  • NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis
  • NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
  • NEW Behind The Chameleon: The Visual Effects Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle
  • NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
  • NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
  • NEW Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
  • NEW The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock Plus Members Of The Cast And Crew (80 minutes – SD)
  • Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
  • Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
  • Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin
  • Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING
  • Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
  • Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
  • Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (54 minutes – SD)

Credo

Do most of Scream Factory's Blu-Ray and DVD sets have content as amazing as what's included here with The Thing? I don't really know anything about the company, but this set looks great and so do several other things I've glanced at on their site. Are there any standouts?

Do most of Scream Factory's Blu-Ray and DVD sets have content as amazing as what's included here with The Thing? I don't really know anything about the company, but this set looks great and so do several other things I've glanced at on their site. Are there any standouts?

NIGHTBREED is a pretty awesome restoration (it adds like 40 minutes that got gutted) and they seem to be ramping up their releases of more underrated horror movies like Exorcist III, Return of the Living Dead, and others.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They usually put in maximum effort on extras. Their video transfers are a mixed bag. Sometimes they have to use what the studio gives them. When they do their own scan it's usually nice. They're known for sub-par video compression work, though.

Got an email. Shit.

Please note an important change that may affect a pre-order you have from Shout! Factory.

Due to unexpected audio track issues, we have decided to postpone the national street date of this release until October 11, 2016, so that we can correct the problem and present the best possible product for you. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your understanding in the matter.

Your pre-order for this title will remain open. Deluxe Edition orders will still ship to arrive three weeks ahead of the national street date – by September 20, 2016. Collector’s Edition orders will still ship to arrive two weeks ahead of the national street date – by September 27, 2016.

Thank you for ordering direct from Shout! Factory.

Regards,
Customer Service
Shout! Factory

There's a sync issue with the 4.1 track according to this: http://whysoblu.com/thing-collectors-edition-blu-ray-review/

Shame it's delayed. The review is incredibly positive.

Got my copy last night. Fantastic release. The new scan is terrific and the 4.1 mix (which appears to be the default sound option) sounds great. I had to turn off my center speaker since my receiver still matrixed in the L/R speakers to emulate a center channel, but once that was done the track had a nice retro analog quality to it. It reminded me a lot of the quad mixes on Pink Floyd's WYWH and DSotM blus.

I'll be digging into the special features disc tonight. Can't wait to see all the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom