• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scumbag Intel: Shady Practices, Terrible Responses, & Failure to Act - Gamers Nexus

SABRE220

Agreed.

Another reason why I wish success to Qualcomm, all these upcoming CPUs and most importantly to me personally, APUs, are something that I hope and pray to see competitive prices in between them.
Am realistic about it and I don't tend to expect "cheap" anything from anyone nowadays, but if we can keep all these MFs "fighting" with each other in other to keep prices 'in-check' that would be a win-win for everyone.

I wish no full dominance to anyone in any market, competition is good for us the customers; always.
Yeah cheap and great value offerings are sadly a thing of the past, I remember when amd made amazing value products before the launch of nvidias rt series.

As a fan of notebooks apus in particular fascinate me aswell. Ive been waiting along time for amd to get their ass into gear and make some higher level apus for the market. Any new knews regarding the launch of the halo strix apus? Im thinking of buying a new laptop and would love to buy one with the strix apu.

Last edited:

Frwrd

Yeah cheap and great value offerings are sadly a thing of the past, I remember when amd made amazing value products before the launch of nvidias rt series.

As a fan of notebooks apus in particular fascinate me aswell. Ive been waiting along time for amd to get their ass into gear and make some higher level apus for the market. Any new knews regarding the launch of the halo strix apus? Im thinking of buying a new laptop and would love to buy one with the strix apu.
I'm on that very same boat brother, even a mini-PC would be interesting to see, at least to me personally.

Last thing I read about it was the leaked benchmark(?) that apparently matched/surpassed the 4070m, I'm sure there's people on here that can give us a full rundown on what's going on and what can we expect.
Exciting times ahead if AMD does pull this one up... Ironically, all thanks to apple for forcing AMDs hand with their new chips 🤭

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Shortly before shareholder meeting:

Invest Stock Market GIF

dave_d

Man, I just looked up on some calculators how much you would have earned in dividends over the past 20 years if you had invested 10k in intel. About 3k. That's way worse than a CD or annuity. (I didn't think it was that bad.)
Actually I should add on to this because you know, tech-tubers tend to be economically illiterate. So I looked up intels stock split history. So if you had bought intel in the late 90s like this video mentioned and sold it for close to what you got you still would have made money since they had 3 splits since 97. Your total number of shares would be 8X what you started with so your 10k investment would be worth 80k. Admittedly that's still garbage for a 27 year investment. (Since if you invested 10k in an index fund and got 10% returns on average it'd be worth 131k.)

marquimvfs

Man, I just looked up on some calculators how much you would have earned in dividends over the past 20 years if you had invested 10k in intel. About 3k. That's way worse than a CD or annuity. (I didn't think it was that bad.)
The loss that Intel stock faced is about equal to the last eleven years of gain.

Last edited:

MacReady13

As someone who only just got my custom PC built Feb this year with an i7 14700k, I’m fucking furious. My options now are to wait until my CPU inevitably shuts itself or, I take my pc back to where it was built, buy all AMD parts (CPU and Motherboard) and get them to change it all over, costing me another $1000. Means I’d have to change my ram as well, wouldn’t it? Fucking furious.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Amey Amey

At Puget Systems, we HAVE seen the issue, but our experience has been much more muted in terms of timeline and failure rate. In order to answer why, I have to give a little bit of history.

Going all the way back to 2017, with the Intel 8700K processor, we published an article titled Why Do Hardware Reviewers Get Different Benchmark Results? which helped call attention to the fact that motherboards were shipping with “Multicore Enhancement” enabled, which set the CPU “All Core Turbo” to be equal to the “Single Core Turbo” frequency. This essentially was overclocking the CPU, by pushing it past official Intel specifications, and had negative effects on stability and temperatures. At Puget Systems, we have always valued stability first and we actively made the choice to follow Intel specifications. Behind the scenes, this meant encouraging Intel to make those specifications public on Intel ARK and pushing motherboard ODMs to follow Intel guidance as their default settings. JayzTwoCents helped drive public awareness of the issue, and for a short time it appeared that things were back on track.

Since that time, our stance at Puget Systems has been to mistrust the default settings on any motherboard. Instead, we commit internally to test and apply BIOS settings — especially power settings — according to our own best practices, with an emphasis on following Intel and AMD guidelines. With Intel Core CPUs in particular, we pay close attention to voltage levels and time durations at which those levels are sustained. This has been especially challenging when those guidelines are difficult to find and when motherboard makers brand features with their own unique naming.

Nevertheless, we kept that approach with confidence due to the high amount of real-world testing we do here. We’ve even developed our own suite of PugetBench Benchmarks, whose goal is to test real-world scenarios, guided by years of experience and learning through our customers and partners. Our approach has always led us to be conservative with our power settings, especially when we have shown that the real-world performance impact to be a small 1-2% range.

Puget Systems Intel Core Failure Rates​

So, with that understanding of WHY we may be seeing things differently than others in the industry — what ARE we seeing here at Puget Systems?

Puget-Systems-Intel-Core-CPU-Failures-Per-Month-and-Generation-1024x481.png

Even though failure rates (as a percentage) are the most consequential, I think showing the absolute number of failures illustrates our experience best. I decided to go back all the way to the launch of Intel Core 10th Gen to give some historical perspective. Starting with 10th Gen, we have only sold the top 2 SKUs (XX700K and XX900K) in volume, which gives us a nice clean set of data.

Looking at that chart, you’ll notice a few things. First, your attention undoubtedly is drawn to the recent spike of failures with Intel Core 14th Gen. Second, you can see that Intel Core 11th Gen CPUs had a failure rate at nearly the same level, even though it didn’t get as much press at that time, that I can recall. Third, I’ll draw your attention to a steady and elevated failure rate on 13th Gen processors.

I can also plot this same data, but instead of coloring it by CPU generation, I’ll color it based on whether we caught the issue on our production floor (shop failure), or if the issue made it out to the customer (field failure). Obviously, a field failure is dramatically more severe of a problem because it now impacts our customer experience.

Puget-Systems-Intel-Core-CPU-Failures-Per-Month-and-Type-1024x481.png

The most concerning part of all of this to us here at Puget Systems is the rise in the number of failures in the field, which we haven’t seen this high since 11th Gen. We’re seeing ALL of these failures happen after 6 months, which means we do expect elevated failure rates to continue for the foreseeable future and possibly even after Intel issues the microcode patch.

Based on this information, we are definitely experiencing CPU failures higher than our historical average, especially with 14th Gen. We have enough data to know that we don’t have an acute problem on the horizon with 13th Gen — it is more of a slow burn. We do expect an elevated failure rate on 14th Gen while Intel finishes finding a root cause and issuing a microcode update. While the number of failures we are experiencing is definitely higher than our historical average, it is difficult to classify 5-7 failures a month in the field as a huge issue, and it is definitely a lower rate of failure than we are hearing about from others in the industry. The recent spike in 14th Gen failure rates stands out mostly because how incredibly low historical CPU failure rates tend to be.

We believe that our commitment to internally developed power settings is why we have been much less impacted than others by these Intel stability issues. This is shaping our approach over the coming months.

Failure Rates in Context​

Everything I’ve shown you so far is our raw number of failures, but what matters most is failure rate percentages. Let’s look at total failure rates in the context of multiple generations and with comparison to AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Puget-Systems-Intel-CPU-Failure-Totals-by-Group-1024x454.png

You can see that in context, the Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen processors do have an elevated failure rate but not at a show-stopper level. The concern for the future reliability of those CPUs is much more the issue at hand, rather than the failure rates we are seeing today. If it is true that the 14th Gen CPUs will continue to have increasing failures over time, this could end up being a much bigger problem as time goes by and is something we will, of course, be keeping a close eye on. 14th Gen isn’t as rock solid as Intel’s 10th or 12th Gen processors, but at least for us, it isn’t yet at critical levels.

Based on the failure rate data we currently have, it is interesting to see that 14th Gen is still nowhere near the failure rates of the Intel Core 11th Gen processors back in 2021 and also substantially lower than AMD Ryzen 5000 (both in terms of shop and field failures) or Ryzen 7000 (in terms of shop failures, if not field). We aren’t including AMD here to try to deflect from the issues Intel is currently experiencing but rather to put into context why we have not yet adjusted our Intel vs. AMD strategy in our workstations.

Basically, they implemented the settings that Intel is still trying to do with the new promised microcode in order to keep the processor consumption and degradation in check. Despite that, they still saw the flaw, just not in the volume that everybody else did, thanks to their testing and optimizations.
In real world, it means nothing, given that the flaws are still expressive and, admittedly, will continue to rise. Also, it doesn't reflect mainstream sells, given that the average consumer doesn't have the knowledge they have while building their own computer. Even most oems aren't as conservative as they are, meaning that their results cannot be extrapolated to the big scene.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If3L2DM.png

Puget has a lower failure rate for Intel 13th and 14th gen than Ryzen 5000 and Ryzen 7000?
How is that possible?

P.S 10th gen owners were eating good huh?

winjer

Gold Member
If3L2DM.png

Puget has a lower failure rate for Intel 13th and 14th gen than Ryzen 5000 and Ryzen 7000?
How is that possible?

A 3-4% failure rate for any hardware, not only PCs, is relatively normal.
They probably had issues with assembly of their PCs, resulting in higher failure rates for some chips.
There was no major issue with 11th gen. So either they got all the bad 11th gen CPUs in the world, or they screw up assembly.

Black_Stride

A 3-4% failure rate for any hardware, not only PCs, is relatively normal.
They probably had issues with assembly of their PCs, resulting in higher failure rates for some chips.
There was no major issue with 11th gen. So either they got all the bad 11th gen CPUs in the world, or they screw up assembly.

You think Puget fucked up assembly of their machines?
Hahahaha
winjer you joker.

The reason they have lower than average failure rates, is because during assembly they manually tweak voltages and other BIOS settings for maximum stability, which does point to 13/14th gen having some weird BIOS issue in "stock" form.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hahahaha
winjer you joker.

The reason they have lower than average failure rates, is because during assembly they manually tweak voltages and other BIOS settings for maximum stability, which does point to 13/14th gen having some weird BIOS issue in "stock" form.
It is called trying to win benchmarks by cranking up frequency and thus voltage and us reaping those effects. Intel is not only aware but responsible of this.

Not even ex Intels like François Piednöel (former Intel Performance Guru, official title, at Intel and definitely someone part of a golden era of Intel) will defend this:

winjer

Gold Member
Hahahaha
winjer you joker.

Yes, I do. All companies screw up sometimes. No company is immune.
Intel's 11th gen didn't have issues with high failure rates. Only Pudget.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Yes, I do. All companies screw up sometimes. No company is not immune.
Intel's 11th gen didn't have issues with high failure rates. Only Pudget.

Did you forget 11th gen thermal throttling issue.....or voltages being outta whack?
That would count as a failure, if the CPU isnt getting anywhere near the expected performance and in many cases was a gen on gen regression.

A huige stink wasnt made, because honestly people just didnt make stinks as bad as today whenever there were issues.
But 11th gen was widely reported as having issue, it also didnt sell particularly well so there was likely a limited amount of users to actually complain about it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Did you forget 11th gen thermal throttling issue.....or voltages being outta whack?
That would count as a failure, if the CPU isnt getting anywhere near the expected performance and in many cases was a gen on gen regression.

11th gen where hotter than 10th gen, but there weren't issues with voltages.
Where did you see such things?

11th gen is the last Intel CPU that has power usage under control.

power-stress.png

Last edited:

Black_Stride

11th gen where hotter than 10th gen, but there weren't issues with voltages.
Where did you see such things?

11th gen is the last Intel CPU that has power usage under control.

power-stress.png

Im sure a simple reddit or Overclockers search will bring up more threads with 11th gen issues than 10 and 12th combined, even with 12th gens early BIOS issues, which again werent heavily reported but clearly were a thing.

winjer

Gold Member
Im sure a simple reddit or Overclockers search will bring up more threads with 11th gen issues than 10 and 12th combined, even with 12th gens early BIOS issues, which again werent heavily reported but clearly were a thing.

I follow tech news closely for over 2 decades, and I don't remember anything about high failure rates with 11th gen.
Like I told you, it's normal for electronic devices to have some failures, around 2-4%. Which then are easily solved with RMAs.
But Pudget has 8% failure rate. In a gen that did not have issues. And that is why I say they probably had some issues with assembly.
Not huge problems, but enough to have doubled the percentage of normal failures.

dave_d

Actually I should add on to this because you know, tech-tubers tend to be economically illiterate. So I looked up intels stock split history. So if you had bought intel in the late 90s like this video mentioned and sold it for close to what you got you still would have made money since they had 3 splits since 97. Your total number of shares would be 8X what you started with so your 10k investment would be worth 80k. Admittedly that's still garbage for a 27 year investment. (Since if you invested 10k in an index fund and got 10% returns on average it'd be worth 131k.)
Forget what I wrote when it comes to stock price. I'm thinking the stock price history I looked up included the stock split. Anyway when I use market cap from this site

Intel market cap

You would have gotten what you put in. (But you would have made a tiny amount of money from divdends.) I can see why it would have made sense if you had bought intel in 97. You could have sold in August of 2000 and made quite a bit of money.(A 10k investment would have been worth almost 40k. A 10k investment in 89 would have been worth almost 1M in 2000) Yeah I can see why people would have invested in intel in 97.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As someone who only just got my custom PC built Feb this year with an i7 14700k, I’m fucking furious. My options now are to wait until my CPU inevitably shuts itself or, I take my pc back to where it was built, buy all AMD parts (CPU and Motherboard) and get them to change it all over, costing me another $1000. Means I’d have to change my ram as well, wouldn’t it? Fucking furious.
Just hope the BIOS microcode update fixes it.

I can't believe my local Microcenter is still selling 13 and 14th gen CPUs right now.

MacReady13

Wondering if anyone can help- I have just updated the bios on my Gigabyte z790m motherboard. It was revision 1.2. Is there anything I need to do after the update for the CPU or just leave things the way they are and wait for Intel to release their update?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wondering if anyone can help- I have just updated the bios on my Gigabyte z790m motherboard. It was revision 1.2. Is there anything I need to do after the update for the CPU or just leave things the way they are and wait for Intel to release their update?
Yep. Go into the BIOS and increase the voltage.

dont fucking do that

MacReady13

Yep. Go into the BIOS and increase the voltage.

dont fucking do that
No but seriously though, it took me heaps of time to update the bios as I know NOTHING about configuring PC's, so do I just leave things the way they are until Intel release their update? And if so, is Intel's update through a Windows update or is that another Bios motherboard update?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If3L2DM.png

How is that possible?

They manually tune their systems for stability, meaning they set voltage and power limits to be lower than the standard.

This can either prevent or simply delay the stability issues of the 13/14th gen CPU's, Puget even acknowledge that they may face increased failure rates over time.

Overall this means the Puget data is not an accurate representation of the failure rates experienced by others.

Last edited:

peish

Seems like Intel has changed it's warranty policy again, and now Tray CPUs are not covered by the extra 2 years warranty.
This means, most people will just have the basic warranty.

You can’t really buy tray cpus easily, its for odm. Sure you can buy from aliexpress or taobao, but its of the under standing you are at best getting 1 year warranty exchange

winjer

Gold Member
You can’t really buy tray cpus easily, its for odm. Sure you can buy from aliexpress or taobao, but its of the under standing you are at best getting 1 year warranty exchange

Yes, normal consumers can buy tray CPUs, though they are not common.
But you do realize that most people buy pre built PCs. So most people have a Tray CPU.
The DIY market is relatively small.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever bought a boxed processor.
And no, I've never purchased from AliExpress or TaoBao.
Frys (RIP), MicroCenter, NewEgg, local PC shops, etc.

StereoVsn

I don't think I've ever bought a boxed processor.
And no, I've never purchased from AliExpress or TaoBao.
Frys (RIP), MicroCenter, NewEgg, local PC shops, etc.
How did the CPUs come from MicroCenter or Newegg? I have been buying CPUs from these for many years and they have been always boxed.

If you buy a pre-built, warranty should come from the vendor.

TransTrender

Gold Member
… That is strange. You should be buying boxed processors from authorized vendors (Intel and AMD). The unboxed ones were always in this grey area regarding warranty.
I knew I was buying tray processors. Didn't care about warranty for a multitude of reasons.

StereoVsn

I knew I was buying tray processors. Didn't care about warranty for a multitude of reasons.
Ahh, didn’t realize Microcenter even sold those.

It’s not surprising though that Intel isn’t extending tray processor warranties because they really aren’t meant for direct customers and vendors have their own agreements.

Still kind of sucks though.

winjer

Gold Member

Intel has sold its stake in chip design giant Arm amid one of Team Blue's biggest restructuring and cost-cutting pushes in decades. The sale of 1.18 million shares is likely to have raised $147 million for the company, which is currently dealing with a major crisis.
Intel posted weaker-than-expected quarterly results at the start of August: revenue was down 1% to $12.83 billion, missing analyst expectations of $12.94 billion. Chipzilla also revealed a $1.61 billion net loss and lowered its forecast for the current quarter. Shares fell 26% in a single day to their lowest point since 2013, making it the worst trading day for Intel since 1974.
Arm's share price has risen 96% since its IPO in September 2023. Selling the stake also means that Intel will lose the voting rights it had at Arm.
Intel might be trying to raise more cash as it deals with one crisis after another, but it hasn't sold all its shares. It still has stakes in flying taxi firm Joby Aviation, AI/machine learning networking company Astera Labs, smart medicine maker Senti Biosciences, and open-source database developer MariaDB.

Top Bottom