• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

In other news, Kukai is opening up a third shop in Capitol Hill. So yeah....man they are expanding fast.

Kukai had a notice of application for a liquor license at the Northgate store in late December. Hopefully it's gone through now or it will soon. I can't believe it's taken them this long.

Taking my Nebraska in-laws to Din Tai Fung tonight. Wife and I figured they'd probably be less intimidated there than Kukai.

dLMN8R

In other news, Kukai is opening up a third shop in Capitol Hill. So yeah....man they are expanding fast.

My wife and I served ate at Issian over the weekend. So freaking good. We sat at the counter and I think you may have served us squid balls, which were delicious, but you seemed super busy and right next to someone else so it would've been weird to say something :p

My wife and I served ate at Issian over the weekend. So freaking good. We sat at the counter and I think you may have served us squid balls, which were delicious, but you seemed super busy and right next to someone else so it would've been weird to say something :p

SHITTTTTTTT. Next time a simple "Believe" works. Seriously. Did you sit by the Sushi counter by chance? I served quite a few takoyaki to people, I may remember you. You can totally chat with us, we have quite a few regulars that do. Our boss doesn't mind, he chats with regulars or friends that come in too.

dLMN8R

SHITTTTTTTT. Next time a simple "Believe" works. Seriously. Did you sit by the Sushi counter by chance? I served quite a few takoyaki to people, I may remember you. You can totally chat with us, we have quite a few regulars that do. Our boss doesn't mind, he chats with regulars or friends that come in too.

Alright alright, next time I will. I'll PM a pic :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The first weekend in April, my wife and are going to Seattle the first time. If anyone could give some recommendations of things to see and do,.that would be great. We are staying basically downtown.

It is a shame our flight leaves too early to go to the Mariners home opener.

Trouble

Banned
Speaking of things to do downtown has anyone been to the Starbucks Roastery? Are the lines still insane? My neighbor works for Starbucks corporate and said it's really cool, but was way too busy at least when it first opened.

dLMN8R

Speaking of things to do downtown has anyone been to the Starbucks Roastery? Are the lines still insane? My neighbor works for Starbucks corporate and said it's really cool, but was way too busy at least when it first opened.

My wife went there yesterday during the day, no line at all. Started getting busy toward the evening though.

The first weekend in April, my wife and are going to Seattle the first time. If anyone could give some recommendations of things to see and do,.that would be great. We are staying basically downtown.

I'd highly recommend venturing out of downtown and into the neighborhoods. What are you into?

mYm|17|

Would like to check out the popular attractions, go to some nice restaurants, etc. Were pretty low key, stuff like the Roastery and the Market would be great.

Just off the top of my head in regards to attractions/touristy sites

Fremont -
Fremont Troll

Ballard -
Ballard Locks
Golden Gardens

Belltown -
Space Needle

Wallingford -
Gas works park (for the scenery)

Phthisis

Would like to check out the popular attractions, go to some nice restaurants, etc. Were pretty low key, stuff like the Roastery and the Market would be great.

I really like Wasabi in Belltown. Real interesting sushi concoctions. Also, if you're looking for a dessert you won't soon forget, Hot Cakes in Ballard is fucking incredible.

http://www.getyourhotcakes.com/

Their caramel sauce is ridiculous. Buy a jar.

cdyhybrid

45SZVtB.png

Get your vaccines people!

Edit: I forgot to post here, but I had waffles and chicken-fried steak for breakfast at Joule a week or two ago. Amazing.

dLMN8R

I like Joule a lot more than Revel. Been to both twice. Joule's breakfast buffet that's included with all breakfast items is awesome, and it's more along the lines of my tastes.

I like Joule a lot more than Revel. Been to both twice. Joule's breakfast buffet that's included with all breakfast items is awesome, and it's more along the lines of my tastes.

We've never done the buffet at Joule, but it sounds awesome.

Speaking of breakfast, y'all need to check out Butcher and Baker on Latona in Greenlake. Their breakfast menu is amazing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I love the restaurants around Capitol Hill, Queens Anne, downtown, etc. but I definitely feel the "no car" sadness when it comes to the further neighborhoods. Bussing anywhere over the bridges from First Hill where we live is a pain and takes forever.

cdyhybrid

Didn't do the buffet at Joule when I was there (the dish alone was more than enough), but it sounds like they do themed ones. It was Indian-themed when I was there.

btw my wife and I went to Butcher and Baker on Sunday and holy shit was it amazing.

Isn't it? I remember when they first opened and it seemed like we were their only customers ever. The owner (the butcher) is a really nice guy and is super friendly with our 3-year old daughter, always making sure she is just as happy as the adult customers. I hope they have continued success.

Their to-go meat selection is top notch, by the way.

dLMN8R

Isn't it? I remember when they first opened and it seemed like we were their only customers ever. The owner (the butcher) is a really nice guy and is super friendly with our 3-year old daughter, always making sure she is just as happy as the adult customers. I hope they have continued success.

Their to-go meat selection is top notch, by the way.

Well they were packed the entire time we were there, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Well they were packed the entire time we were there, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Yeah, they've been really busy for a while now and getting lots of attention from food blogs and magazines. When they first opened we were always afraid that every month might be their last. So glad that's not the case anymore.

Chef Mike Robertshaw's last day at Roux is today. Had dinner there about a week ago, really great food. Had the catfish with crawfish and grits, absolutely delicious.

riotous

Banned
Kukai had a notice of application for a liquor license at the Northgate store in late December. Hopefully it's gone through now or it will soon. I can't believe it's taken them this long.

Taking my Nebraska in-laws to Din Tai Fung tonight. Wife and I figured they'd probably be less intimidated there than Kukai.

Kukai northgate now has liquor.

Is canon worth it? I don't know if I can stand to wait in the rain. Where to go for a top notch cocktail around 7pm?
Canon is worth the wait, I'd say. They do some pretty remarkable drinks (Campfire, Milk & Cookies), and the presentation is incredible.

Liberty is also a fantastic place and just a few blocks up, on 15th. Usually less crowded, but still relatively tough to get into on weekends.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hmm.. not sure.. all I know is I walked by yesterday and saw a sign outside indicating they now had alcohol. If beer/wine/sake is all they were going for then yeah that's probably it.

All we need. Ramen without beer is an affront to god.

riotous

Banned
Yeah they were too packed; was going to have beer and ramen.. ended up at Joey's Kitchen at U-Village and had an old fashioned with some fish tacos. A worthy substitute.

dLMN8R

Just went to Witness in Capitol Hill for brunch this morning. Incredible! I've been to the bar a few times and it's really good, but never went there after they started serving brunch last year.

Great alternative for when Americana is totally packed (which it almost always is). And no wait to get a spot at the bar.

Trouble

Banned
Just went to Witness in Capitol Hill for brunch this morning. Incredible! I've been to the bar a few times and it's really good, but never went there after they started serving brunch last year.

Great alternative for when Americana is totally packed (which it almost always is). And no wait to get a spot at the bar.

They're about due for a name change aren't they? :p

First El Greco, then Table 219, now Americana. Funny thing is it's been the same chef the entire time.

I should give Witness a shot... it's only a couple blocks away from me. And great shout out for Americana! I don't feel bad saying that I go every weekend for breakfast there.

dLMN8R

I should give Witness a shot... it's only a couple blocks away from me. And great shout out for Americana! I don't feel bad saying that I go every weekend for breakfast there.

Look, I love Americana, and my wife still proclaims their french toast to be a forever lifechanging experience. But it's either get there before 10am and grab a table right away, or wait forever.

Witness is highly, highly recommended. My wife got the corned lamp hash which was excellent, but I got the "ermehgerd omelet" to which I unintentionally said its name many times.

Chichikov

I don't know how the brunch is there, but as a bar, fuck witness.
I can take some level of "mixology" wankery, but man, they crank that crap to 11 there.

Top Bottom