• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Apparently there are some protesters blocking the northbound Mercer exit in Seattle as of 15 minutes ago. Haven't found anything on what exactly they're protesting yet.

I work in Issaquah, so this is going to make the commute home fun. I may just swallow the toll and take 520 home tonight. I was hoping it would be lighter tonight with some people out for MLK day.

RustyO

Any nightmare roads that are best avoided when commuting? Sussing out property locations.

Edit: Presume I'll be commuting to/from Bellevue / Redmond area or thereabouts.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any nightmare roads that are best avoided when commuting? Sussing out property locations.

Queen Anne is weirdly isolated and jammed and going east from Ballard is a chore. West Seattle can't handle an accident otherwise the 405 is hell.

My personal belief is that south Wallingford and north capital hill are the best commute locations on the Westside

So apparently Elysian got bought out by Anheuser-Busch.

Sad times.

Yep. After AB-IB bought 10 Barrel word was that they weren't done looking for breweries in the PNW. Elysian was pretty much everyone's guess as to who would be next since they're already carried under an AB-IB distribution house.

This is a big deal because it gives AB-IB more access to the craft market, and with them owning their own distribution houses, it allows them more shelf-space and the ability to cut off access to smaller independently owned breweries.

I could also see No-Li getting purchased down the road.

This post from BA today sums it up well:

First of all, perhaps you aren't aware of it, but AB INBEV owns their own distributorship (these are the companies that get the beer you love to drink to your local watering hole, bottleshop, etc.). They have a lot of money, power, and influence in what beers from their portfolio saturate your market. What they like to do to independent companies who are solely signed to their distributing arm is push them out of the market if they refuse to be bought up (see the recent examples of Firestone Walker and Ninkasi). This isn't just bad for those wonderful independent brands, but it's also bad for your other favorite labels who are signed to smaller distributors because AB INBEV has the ability to buy up shelf space from them at your local grocery store. Okay, so you'll just shop at your super craft-dedicated uber local bottleshop and to hell with it, right? Not quite. Many fans of craft beer aren't lucky enough to live in areas of concentrated craft offerings, and many cities aren't considered to be craft beer meccas like those that pepper the country.

Regardless, this acquisition (and those of Goose Island & 10 Barrel) should trouble a true fan of independent craft breweries on a more personal level. I assume you are advocates of craft beer because of the quality of the product and the wonderful gastronomic and sensory experiences those beers provide you with. Many small and independent breweries make it their mission to cater to those exact expectations. Lest you forget, AB INBEV doesn't give a damn about those expectations; their eye is on their bottom line. This isn't to say independent breweries don't also factor the business aspects of their industry into their products, prices, processes, etc., they do; however, once AB INBEV feels their pocket book is getting a little light, I can guarantee you they will cut costs anywhere they can -- be that in quality ingredients or in their labor force. So while some of you may be correct that the quality of GI and 10BBL products have not yet suffered, it is very early in the game to make such statements while turning a blind eye to these other acquisition issues.

Oh, just like their ability to squeeze out independent breweries from the market, AB INBEV likes to buy up more ingredients (hops, malts) than they need to create an artificial deficit which means your favorite brewery might be forced to change your favorite recipe because they cannot obtain their usual ingredients. This also forces ingredient prices to rise, which will be felt by the consumer down the line as your favorite brewery is forced to raise it's prices.

cdyhybrid

H7XkDAt.png

dubc35

Interested to see how it pans out. Great Pumpkin Ale going mainstream? Men's Room? Or will they all get wiped out so AB-IB can push more shitty bud light?

I'm sure the pumpkin beers was a big factor in the purchase, just like 10 Barrel's "fast sours" like Swill and the Crush line were a big reason for the purchase.

Stinkles

Sunday's menu: Chicken from Heaven Sent (and sides) margaritas with a splash of blue curacao, naked terror for almost three hours followed by jubilation/sadness.

Brakke

Banned
Hawk shirt yesterday, hawk shirt today, thank god my 12 jersey came in the mail yesterday or else I'd have to do laundry for tomorrow.

Go Hawks.

dubc35

I have Field 41 for tomorrow as well. It's my de facto purchase so I pretty much always have it. I also have Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA and Hale's Supergoose.

Stinkles

Fried Chicken from Heaven Sent, scratch margaritas with blue Curacao, Sangria and homemade Paella from a guest who's an amazing cook.

And hopefully no crow.

Hey, they had it and I hadn't tried it before so I bought it. I have a Deshutes Abyss and a Pilsner 22 (forgot the brewery) in the garage fridge as well so there's more non-WA beers than the Sierra IPA (which IMO is not that great).

Can't drink it during the game, that's all. I've been only drinking WA beer during Hawks games for three years now. I'd like to think my stupid superstition is working.

Stinkles

Can't drink it during the game, that's all. I've been only drinking WA beer during Hawks games for three years now. I'd like to think my stupid superstition is working.

What were you drinking six minutes before the whistle in the last game? Pound that.

What were you drinking six minutes before the whistle in the last game? Pound that.

NW Brewing's Hawk One lager down in Cabo. Brought four WA canned beers with me for the game. I was thinking of randalling some skittles through a couple cans for the Super Bowl. Did it last SB with Dick's 12 Man Pale...

Tunic

Got a bottle of Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star and a 6 pack of Interurban IPA. I am doing the local beer thing too. Hoping the Dark Star is the "champagne"for tonight. GO HAWKS!

Brakke

Banned
I got a couple big bottles of this guy:

12128335_f520.jpg

Drank it through the back half of the season and all the playoffs, been doin' our boys right.

Please use #onlyWAbeer if you post anything.

Got some Spire Cider, and the last of my Men's Room Red bought before the Elysian Buyout, so I'm covered with #onlyWAbeer

Coincidentally, just left this comment on my Sounders season ticket survey "Less crappy corporate beers, more local beer please"

Top Bottom