• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Phthisis

So, I spontaneously bought a plane ticket to your city yesterday for October...

I really don't know much about Seattle, what can I do in 5 days?

Pacific Northwest area really has fascinated me for a long time because of the topography. Seattle in particular because it seems like a "hey this is a big city but there is nature outside!"

We're in a crippling drought, so it's starting to look a lot like Los Angeles.

Izayoi

Banned
Walking three abreast on a small sidewalk, and then giving people the stink eye when they try to get around you - what the fuck? Pretty clearly business travelers, but give me a fucking break here.

brace yourself, it's just going to get worse.
;_;

Metro can only go as fast as traffic allows. Transit is highly un-prepared for the huge influx of people coming in :-\. I have some friends that are drivers and they are being pushed and stressed out trying to adjust. It takes planning over a year to make a effective route adjustment sometimes :-(
I know, it blows... Too bad tax payers are so hesitant to fund public transit. It kills me.

leroidys

Pacific Northwest area really has fascinated me for a long time because of the topography. Seattle in particular because it seems like a "hey this is a big city but there is nature outside!"

What kind of stuff interests you?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just moved into an apartment here in North Seattle (near Green Lake). I love it. The neighborhood is so awesome, but everything is so different here from when I left some 10 years ago... The amount of traffic, and people living here is staggering compared to how I remember it.

Just moved into an apartment here in North Seattle (near Green Lake). I love it. The neighborhood is so awesome, but everything is so different here from when I left some 10 years ago... The amount of traffic, and people living here is staggering compared to how I remember it.

I'm a native, but have been living in Green Lake since 2007. It's insane how drastically things have changed in the last eight years.

I still miss the old U-District. And Ballard. Fremont was great when it was hippie town. Now it's just tech bros.

jb1234

I'm a native, but have been living in Green Lake since 2007. It's insane how drastically things have changed in the last eight years.

I still miss the old U-District. And Ballard.

I've lived in Capitol Hill since 1999. It is virtually unrecognizable now.

I know, it blows... Too bad tax payers are so hesitant to fund public transit. It kills me.

It's becoming a real problem. People want to drive... but unfortunately, that's not sustainable here any longer. Hopefully people are figuring that out and we can get some public transit progress done.

Brakke

Banned
They're building trains to the East Side but that's going to take many many years. Rolling out transit plans is sooooo slow.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

I still miss the old U-District. And Ballard. Fremont was great when it was hippie town. Now it's just tech bros.

I remember you from another Seattle related thread. It's weird because a lot of areas outside of Seattle remained exactly the same, but the city feels so different. I still like it though, a lot... outside of the traffic being here is pretty great. I imagine I'll stay planted for a while :) Getting reacquainted with the area is pretty exciting.

cdyhybrid

They're building trains to the East Side but that's going to take many many years. Rolling out transit plans is sooooo slow.

Yeah...waiting for the U-District stop to open so I can go straight to the airport instead of having to Uber/Lyft down to Westlake.

riotous

Banned
Is there a good map of the rail expansion plans?

Googled around and couldn't find crap; last time I saw anything it was up in the air where the stations were going up here North of Northgate.

Izayoi

Banned
Go straight through them like the Juggernaut.
Solid advice.

:0 You moved here? Bruh.

The Roosevelt station by my house won't open until Northgate is ready in 2021. Stupid trains having to turn around...
Northgaaaate. I thought that the Light Rail was supposed to be complete there by next year? It's a huge mess right now.

Solid advice.

:0 You moved here? Bruh.

Northgaaaate. I thought that the Light Rail was supposed to be complete there by next year? It's a huge mess right now.

Husky Stadium and Capitol Hill stations open next year. Brooklyn (U District), Roosevelt and Northgate stations won't open until 2021. Brooklyn and Roosevelt will probably be done sooner but since Northgate is where the trains turn around, we have to wait until it's complete.

dLMN8R

YES!!!!

Woke up to the rain at 3AM.....more rain now.....FINALLYYYYYY

6CNxTRS.png

You can see a good amount of stuff here in that amount of time, it's more of just picking and choosing what you want to see. Even better if you have a car, since places like Mt. Rainer are only a couple hours drive from Seattle itself. I ended up going there this last weekend with friends, and it was great drive up to Paradise, there's a few good spots along the road up there where you can take pictures of Mt. Rainer.
CL8PrQUUMAEGAxK.jpg
I remember you from another Seattle related thread. It's weird because a lot of areas outside of Seattle remained exactly the same, but the city feels so different. I still like it though, a lot... outside of the traffic being here is pretty great. I imagine I'll stay planted for a while :) Getting reacquainted with the area is pretty exciting.
The area has changed a lot as someone who has grown up in the area (in terms of the metro area of Seattle). Yeah, Seattle has seen the largest change I won't deny that, but I've seen other area change significantly, like Tacoma. Not to the degree of Seattle, but still a large noticeable change from what it was a long time ago.
Don't remind me, I can't legally drive due my vision. So I have to rely on transit to get anywhere in the area. Which isn't great if you live in Tacoma like I do since Pierce Transit essientally stops all service like around 9 pm. I'm hoping to move up into the general Seattle area within the next couple of years, so I can be closer to friends in the area.
Is there a good map of the rail expansion plans?

Googled around and couldn't find crap; last time I saw anything it was up in the air where the stations were going up here North of Northgate.
Sound Transit has documents of their plans on their website of the Northgate Expansion, like this one. Includes maps and some other details of the project.

jb1234

Okay, wow. Was just woken up by a GIGANTIC explosion. Looking outside, I'm guessing it was thunder but wow, that was scary.

dLMN8R

The End's Summer Camp music festival at Marymoor was fantastic yesterday :) Great lineup! And Marymoor organizes everything so well too.

riotous

Banned
Deck the Hall Ball (From 1077 The End) is a good time almost every year. Always try to get VIP tickets; End records "End Sessions" of some of the artists in the back area of Key Arena during set changes.

dLMN8R

I never listen to The End but their lineup was excellent. Robert Delong was super unexpected but a great singer in addition to being a multitalented performer, and Matt and Kim put on a crazy energetic performance.

Brakke

Banned
Whenever I take a Car 2 Go
(which is a shitty service by the way but they screw up so often they keep giving me ride credits so it's basically free...)
the radio is *always* tuned to KEXP. I wonder if Car 2 Go does that on purpose because they want their cars to seem cool or if KEXP is just totally dominant among the Car 2 Go demographic.

Top Bottom