• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This post makes me irrationally angry.

I'd rather have that problem than the "last one to leave Seattle turn out the lights" problem. And hey, we can still laugh at San Francisco, right? At least we don't have that many human feces outside our million dollar studio condos.

riotous

Banned
Anyone else trying to buy a house on the Westside? Currently trying to escape Bothell. Just put an offer on a house in Green lake and got outbid. Winning bid was a 150K over list price. Looking on Redfin and it seems like all the decent houses in the area are getting bid up by 100K. Kind of killing my vibe. Thinking about Shoreline but it is getying crazy there too and not a huge step up from Bothell imo, but I could be convinced otherwise. At least it'd be a shorter drive to Seattle and light rail connection in 5 years.

I personally think Shoreline is a pretty big step up from Bothell no matter where you'd live.

There's little pockets where you'd even have a decent amount of walkable locations (15th ave., 99 coridor) but either way you are much closer to Seattle than Bothell both distance wise and realistic driving time wise.

riotous

Banned
On my new project at work I'm the only true Seattle native; of about 20 people other than me the only people who've been here more than 2 years are managers (who haven't lived here more than 5.)

It was kind of funny with the wind storm prediction; almost the entire team was like "is there really any bad weather in Seattle?" Had to pull out my story book.

I was around to see the Thanksgiving Storm of 1983.. remember peering out my window to see garbage cans flying down the street.

jb1234

I'd rather have that problem than the "last one to leave Seattle turn out the lights" problem. And hey, we can still laugh at San Francisco, right? At least we don't have that many human feces outside our million dollar studio condos.

I don't think we'll be laughing once we've turned into San Francisco.

On my new project at work I'm the only true Seattle native; of about 20 people other than me the only people who've been here more than 2 years are managers (who haven't lived here more than 5.)

It was kind of funny with the wind storm prediction; almost the entire team was like "is there really any bad weather in Seattle?" Had to pull out my story book.

I was around to see the Thanksgiving Storm of 1983.. remember peering out my window to see garbage cans flying down the street.

I was only 2 in 1983, but I sure remember the floating bridge sinking on live TV and the Inauguration Day storm walloping the region hard.

I was talking to my daughter (4) yesterday about earthquakes. She wanted to know what they were like. Last big one we had was the Nisqually quake back when I was in college at PLU. Last one before that of any real significant size was mid to late 90s?

Also, my wife is from Nebraska but moved out here in 1999, so I feel comfortable calling her a Washingtonian.

leroidys

Yeah, population migration is just a fact of life, and watching some of the weird reactionary, nativist rhetoric crop up is almost as ugly as some of the extreme gentrification going on.

The "please take on 25 billion dollars of structural debt so that the area is nicer when I move there and perpetuate the trends making the city unlivable for the locals" is a bridge too far though.

And as someone who has lived here since well before either tech boom but can't afford to get my foot in the home equity door, I wouldn't mind seeing a 70's style meltdown, but I digress :p

cdyhybrid

Chris Hansen saying he'll privately finance the new arena and help bridge the gap for the Lander Street overpass.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Mortemis

Banned
Chris Hansen saying he'll privately finance the new arena and help bridge the gap for the Lander Street overpass.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

brehs, holy shit. If this can't get it done..

I wonder if Chris Hansen is sure the rumors of the NBA okaying an expansion team is true, and that's why he's going all in.

Hope the dumbass sexists who were pissed at the city council members for voting down the previous plan learned something, but who am I kidding?

cdyhybrid

Hope the dumbass sexists who were pissed at the city council members for voting down the previous plan learned something, but who am I kidding?
Dumbasses will be dumbasses no matter what.

Great news for the reasonable sports fans that were disappointed with the vote though!

Stinkles

Please put the stadium on the eastside or Renton. Traffic can't handle sounders mariners huskies Seahawks and Sonics.

Traffic can't handle rain or a stall.

Izayoi

Banned
Please put the stadium on the eastside or Renton. Traffic can't handle sounders mariners huskies Seahawks and Sonics.

Traffic can't handle rain or a stall.
Let's be honest, traffic really can't handle much of anything.

I was driving home (West Seattle) from Mill Creek the other day, and even at 11PM I-5 was fucking packed with no special events going on.

It's a joke.

Dany

Banned
New Nurse at Seattle Children's Hospital!!! Yesss

Sorta wish we didn't live in Beacon Hill now. II'll be working nights, so the drive will be terrible I imagine. Or I could take the light rail to UW and take a bus??

New Nurse at Seattle Children's Hospital!!! Yesss

Sorta wish we didn't live in Beacon Hill now. II'll be working nights, so the drive will be terrible I imagine. Or I could take the light rail to UW and take a bus??

What time does your shift start? Shouldn't be too bad. And you could take light rail, but the trains stop at midnight.

Dany

Banned
My shifts would either start at 7pm or 11:30pm running into 7am. Driving up I-5 at 6pm to reach the hospital sounds like a nightmare.

riotous

Banned
That's an unpredictable time for I5.

Backroads (Go North on Boren, take a right at Madison, and a left at 23rd) might be more consistent but not exactly fast.

riotous

Banned
I guess the light rail stopping at midnight wouldn't be an issue as it should be back up running once your shift is over. Just would be a bit trapped if you had to leave early.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ramen aficionados might be interested in Ooink that just opened on Capitol Hill. Very small place, only three tables and a handful of stools at the window, but very friendly staff and everyone kept moving along so the wait time wasn't terrible despite a large crowd outside.

They do pork kotteri (the first in Seattle?), aji tomago, black garlic, and thin straight noodles that are more al dente than the ones I've had at Kizuki or Samurai. The chashu is incredibly good (but too small!) and their spicy broth, according to our friends who ordered the highest level possible, is absolutely ace.

woodypop

Ramen aficionados might be interested in Ooink that just opened on Capitol Hill. Very small place, only three tables and a handful of stools at the window, but very friendly staff and everyone kept moving along so the wait time wasn't terrible despite a large crowd outside.

They do pork kotteri (the first in Seattle?), aji tomago, black garlic, and thin straight noodles that are more al dente than the ones I've had at Kizuki or Samurai. The chashu is incredibly good (but too small!) and their spicy broth, according to our friends who ordered the highest level possible, is absolutely ace.
Thanks for the write-up. Any idea why the Samurai Noodle on Broadway closed?

tearsofash

Four people reportedly shot at Third Ave. and Pike St. in Seattle.

Officers were converging on the area of Third and Pike. An anti-Trump rally, which started at Westlake Mall, turned into a march and was proceeding down nearby streets at the time of the shootings, according to witnesses.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ice-responding-to-reports-of-4-shot-downtown/

The shooting was at the 7-11 on Pike and 3rd. It was just a coincidence. That place is super shady anyways.

I was down there in the area when it all went down.

Dany

Banned
What are you all doing for NYE? I'm trying to look at some party event, like the one at the space needle but the crowd is probably going to be older. I don't think we'll want to go to the hill since it will be crazy packed.

cdyhybrid

What are you all doing for NYE? I'm trying to look at some party event, like the one at the space needle but the crowd is probably going to be older. I don't think we'll want to go to the hill since it will be crazy packed.
Going to Vegas :p

We went to one at some hotel downtown a few years ago. It was alright. If I were going to be in town I'd be going to Resolution.

Anyone manage to get tickets to a Thursday Star Wars showing at Cinerama? I'm still struggling to see if I can get even one seat. Can't believe the site shit the bed just as badly as with TFA.

Stinkles

Buddy of mine got us tickets for Thornton Place. Cinerama is always a shitshow for trying to get big tickets online, so we didn't bother.

Sundance is chill. Great cocktails, assigned seating and decent food. No kids.

Got back from Bora Bora last night to freezing rain and horror. Already suicidal.

Sundance is chill. Great cocktails, assigned seating and decent food. No kids.

Got back from Bora Bora last night to freezing rain and horror. Already suicidal.

I love Sundance, that's where my wife and I always go on date nights. I didn't see any mention of presale tickets last night on Sundance's website or Twitter. Saw TFA at Thornton, it's fine for Rogue One.

Also, we've been in Omaha for Thanksgiving. Saw Moana at their Alamo Drafthouse yesterday. Seattle needs one. Way better than Sundance and Cinebarre.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
One of my friends got us four tickets at Cinerama. He lives right near there, so I think he just walked over to pick them up at the window.

Sundance is my goto location to avoid the under 21 dorito eating shitlords that watch horror movies just to say "That wasn't scary" as soon as the credits roll.

I managed to get 3 tickets to the 10:45 showing of Star Wars last night. Actually one more than I wanted, but I wasn't clicking back after finally getting the damn site to work.

cdyhybrid

We usually go to Cinebarre for most movies. Might try and see it at the Pacific Science Center though. Not going until the end of that weekend likely.

Don't even remember where I saw TFA the first time.

Dany

Banned
Has anyone been to The 5th Ave production of The Little Mermaid this season? Going Wednesday and am really excited, haha.
Going tomorrow! It'll be my first time seeing any Disney play! I saw the 5ths last play, man of the Mancha or Whatever, it was okay.

Stinkles

This is me in ten hours. In the Honolulu airport right now.

If you want any reccs, then hit me up, but for restaurants:

1. Don't bother with bloody Mary's unless you want Polynesian Senor Frog (it's not bad, just touristy)
2. The Yacht Club and St. James (especially the latter) are great for romantic nights
3. Food trucks gather on the outskirts of Vaitape for locals and are an amazing place to try a variety of cheap food

We stayed at the Pearl Beach resort. Was waaaaaaay cheaper than 4 Seasons etc, but still utterly fantastic.

We went on a snorkel trip that was absolutely worth it. Saw everything from flocks of Eagle Rays to proper sharks and Turtles.

Top Bottom