• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

woodypop

katsu-sando-09.jpg

^^dang, that does look good!

^^dang, that does look good!

Little hole in the wall shops all over Japan sell them for practically nothing and they're amazing. I think I bought every single one I could find at Haneda for the flight home last time. Pretty easy to find on Oahu and Kauai, but I've never found them in Seattle.

Shit, okonomiyaki is easier to find here.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hey Seattle-GAF, my wife finally got a job out at Seattle University, and I'll eventually follow her over there.

Where are some decent neighborhoods to live in that aren't extremely expensive? Like <$300k for homes? We'll probably rent for a while, but eventually we'll probably purchase a place.

We don't want to live in the city, and we'll probably try for some children soon after we get there. Somewhere like Bothell, Bellevue, or I dunno.

- Something with relatively easy access (public transit or simply driving) to Seattle U
- I work for MSFT, so relatively easy access to Redmond (though I probably won't be working on campus)
- Good schools
- ~$300k for decent housing
- Generally a safe place to live

Any rec's? Thanks!

Hey Seattle-GAF, my wife finally got a job out at Seattle University, and I'll eventually follow her over there.

Where are some decent neighborhoods to live in that aren't extremely expensive? Like <$300k for homes? We'll probably rent for a while, but eventually we'll probably purchase a place.

We don't want to live in the city, and we'll probably try for some children soon after we get there. Somewhere like Bothell, Bellevue, or I dunno.

- Something with relatively easy access (public transit or simply driving) to Seattle U
- I work for MSFT, so relatively easy access to Redmond (though I probably won't be working on campus)
- Good schools
- ~$300k for decent housing
- Generally a safe place to live

Any rec's? Thanks!

$300k for a house might be tough even in the burbs.

Dany

Banned
That car is in the bike lane? lmao

So bar hopping was nice last night but every bar is stupid packed. Cover for some were unnecessary. Drinks are literally twice as much than Chicago. Nine dollars for a whiskey ginger!
zWVbK.gif
. For being the 'gay' neighborhood it was quite mixed with a lot of straight couples.

Apartment building burnt up just block from where I live today. I don't remember the last time I heard so many sirens at once.
Some 80 firefighters battled the blaze at the Lam Bow Apartments, a large three-story complex in the 6900 block of Delridge Way SW near SW Willow Street.
Link

That car is in the bike lane? lmao

So bar hopping was nice last night but every bar is stupid packed. Cover for some were unnecessary. Drinks are literally twice as much than Chicago. Nine dollars for a whiskey ginger!
zWVbK.gif
. For being the 'gay' neighborhood it was quite mixed with a lot of straight couples.

Capitol Hill has been that way for quite a while now.

dLMN8R

If you're in Capitol Hill and want a cheap chill bar, check out Speckled & Drake. Cheap drinks with heavy pours, comfy space with a 2nd floor, right on Olive at Melrose.

When you're done, stop next door at Pie Bar. Use the money you saved on drinks to get an awesome slice of pie.

You're Welcome.

leroidys

This is why we can't have nice things.

Bike lanes on Broadway

I'm super left wing, but I really can not understand why we're abiding years of closed roads and millions in construction to put in fancy bike lanes everywhere. It has to be the least efficient use of transportation funding we can undertake. I see maybe 10 people commuting on bikes a week.

Trouble

Banned
I'm super left wing, but I really can not understand why we're abiding years of closed roads and millions in construction to put in fancy bike lanes everywhere. It has to be the least efficient use of transportation funding we can undertake. I see maybe 10 people commuting on bikes a week.

In the case of Broadway it's because they laid rail for the streetcar in the road. It's incredibly dangerous to bike on a road with streetcar rails. Front tire drops into the rail, biker goes over handlebars, bad times are had.

leroidys

In the case of Broadway it's because they laid rail for the streetcar in the road. It's incredibly dangerous to bike on a road with streetcar rails. Front tire drops into the rail, biker goes over handlebars, bad times are had.
That makes sense. I forgot about the street car, which seems like an even bigger waste of money.

I see a good number of riders in the Green Lake/Roosevelt/Ravenna/U District area, but I feel like people are still a bit afraid to ride their bikes in the roads. Keep building up the bike infrastructure to increase a sense of safety and I have a feeling you'll see more people using them. I say this as an owner of two cars.

I went to Montreal in July and rode a bike everywhere. Great bike lane system and (SHOCKING!) cars and bikes got along really well. I never once saw a biker or driver yell at each other or do anything remotely aggressive or confrontational. They got along and shared the road just fine.

dLMN8R

The idea of how the bike lanes are configured on Broadway makes a ton of sense. Bike lanes in-line with traffic off to the right hand side where there's curb parking is incredibly dangerous - people just suddenly swinging open their doors into bikers is a major problem.

Protected bike lanes in both directions off to one side instead of separated on each side of the street takes up roughly the same amount of space, is much safer because it avoids the parked car door problem, and it's also necessary to avoid the street car tracks.

In practice, I don't know whether unbiased studies have concluded yet whether it's been effective. Both in terms of ridership, and in terms of education. Just a week ago I saw a biker accidentally ride directly into the street car track in front of me and he fell over. Luckily he was fine. And he's an idiot for riding on that side anyway. But it's still clearly a problem.

leroidys

I see a good number of riders in the Green Lake/Roosevelt/Ravenna/U District area, but I feel like people are still a bit afraid to ride their bikes in the roads. Keep building up the bike infrastructure to increase a sense of safety and I have a feeling you'll see more people using them. I say this as an owner of two cars.

I went to Montreal in July and rode a bike everywhere. Great bike lane system and (SHOCKING!) cars and bikes got along really well. I never once saw a biker or driver yell at each other or do anything remotely aggressive or confrontational. They got along and shared the road just fine.
Definitely, I'm not saying it can't work but the ROI here seems abysmal, especially as our entire transportation infrastructure seems to be on the brink. Montreal is also WAY flatter than Seattle.

I'm a bus commuter FWIW.

Definitely, I'm not saying it can't work but the ROI here seems abysmal, especially as our entire transportation infrastructure seems to be on the brink. Montreal is also WAY flatter than Seattle.

I'm a bus commuter FWIW.

Yeah, Montreal is a lot flatter for sure, so I'm not trying to do a direct comparison, but the fact that bikers and car drivers got along so well was shockingly refreshing. Also, having BIXI stops close to pretty much everything you can imagine was incredibly nice.

I currently don't own a bike but plan on getting one in the future. If Pronto extended to Green Lake I'd use it, but for now the closest station to me is roughly 3/4 of a mile away from me in the U District. They also need to put Pronto racks at the light rail stations. Not having them there is without a doubt the dumbest decision possible. I'd love riding a bike ~2 miles to Husky Stadium station until Roosevelt Station opens in... five... more... years.

Volcynika

Just got back from my vacation over there, and I had a great time. Really glad how walkable the city is, and I'm not sure I can live without things like Ellenos yogurt :(

Dany

Banned
Whomever suggested speckled and Drake; good idea! It's pretty dope!!

Also go huskies!!

I miss Chicago

Dany

Banned
Had my first drunk dicks. Was so good! Looking at the sign, I'm surprised how well they pay their employees

We get Ellenos every Saturday morning at the U District Farmers Market. Weekly ritual (been doing it nine years now) of walking to Herkimer for coffee and then off to the market for passionfruit yogurt, produce for the week and a growler of Rachel's Ginger Beer.

dLMN8R

Hah we probably walked by each other and didn't even realize it. My morning was Slate Coffee --> U Don --> University Farmers Market

Hah we probably walked by each other and didn't even realize it. My morning was Slate Coffee --> U Don --> University Farmers Market

I'm the dude in a Holy Mountain/Cantillon/Fremont Brewing (varies) hoodie with glasses pushing a 4 year old around in a BOB stroller while my wife buys stuff. Pretty much every Saturday.

leroidys

I've been to the Broadway farmers market. It's pretty cool.

You could do Broadway farmers market and then hit up Volunteer park. Great views of the city, large park, and there's a really cool plant conservatory that is technically not free, but people are always sticking their passes on the entrance after they go through for other people to grab.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just got a rent increase, by almost $300. Ouch.

Ours was going to be $400, based entirely on cosmetic improvements to the exterior of the building. Fuckin' lol. Needless to say, we found a new place to live - better location, better apartment, and even less than the original rent, to boot. Hate these giant apartment conglomerates that are buying up everything in the city...

dLMN8R

Are there any laws at all in Seattle in favor of renters? I know there's no formal rent control, but any protections at all?

It seems fucking insane that landlords can seemingly arbitrarily raise rent so much like this.

Top Bottom