• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

leroidys

Do you guys have any suggestions of stuff to do in the city that doesn't involve shopping or drinking? Struggling a bit to find stuff to do on the weekends since giving up drinking a few months ago, and I can't really fit any more shit in my house.

Do you guys have any suggestions of stuff to do in the city that doesn't involve shopping or drinking? Struggling a bit to find stuff to do on the weekends since giving up drinking a few months ago, and I can't really fit any more shit in my house.

I'm a runner, so I enjoy running around the city. One of my favorite routes is from my place in Green Lake down 65th to Husky Stadium, across the Montlake Bridge, back up to the University Bridge and then back home via Roosevelt. It was really pretty this morning.

Ride a bike along the Burke Gilman?

Or you could go on an urban hike at Cowen Park, Carkeek Park or Discovery Park.

leroidys

I'm a runner, so I enjoy running around the city. One of my favorite routes is from my place in Green Lake down 65th to Husky Stadium, across the Montlake Bridge, back up to the University Bridge and then back home via Roosevelt. It was really pretty this morning.

Ride a bike along the Burke Gilman?

Or you could go on an urban hike at Cowen Park, Carkeek Park or Discovery Park.

Yeah, that's a great idea for earlier in the day stuff. I've been meaning to be get off my ass and get some exercise.

Do you do board games or Magic or anything? You could start playing at Card Kingdom sometimes? Or you could get your drinking friends to go to Add A Ball and you could just play pinball and what-not without drinking while they are. Go see some live music too.

Phthisis

Go walk/hike around any of the magnificent parks in Seattle. Check out Elliott Bay Books and spend a couple hours reading. Tula's has jazz every night. Beach fires at Golden Gardens. Kayaking the lakes. Add A Ball is a cool arcade/bar.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ours was going to be $400, based entirely on cosmetic improvements to the exterior of the building. Fuckin' lol. Needless to say, we found a new place to live - better location, better apartment, and even less than the original rent, to boot. Hate these giant apartment conglomerates that are buying up everything in the city...

Hilarious thing is Ed Murray letting this shit happen under the guise of "creating affordable housing" and "helping the homeless."

Biggest fraud ever.

My friend who recently got his degree in meteorology is both super excited and scared about this storm system coming in. I am bracing for the power to be out again due to the winds. I bought a AA battery powered cell phone charger last year, after we lost power for 3 days. Rechargeable power banks are useless after a day with no power at all.
Be safe out there.

I'm down in Olympia. Saying gusts of up to 55mph.

523IWjm.png

Home ownership turns storm excitement into dread.

IMG_2920.jpg

Yep. We have an old, fairly large Katelpa tree in our front yard. I was out yesterday on a ladder trimming anything that looked dead or unhealthy. Think we'll sleeping in the basement tonight just in case something falls. We had an arborist out last Spring and it's still fine, but you never know.

Supposed to be doing a Light Rail brewery crawl for my buddy's 42nd (21x2 run) birthday on saturday, but who knows...

Atenhaus

My meteorologist uncle is both excited and terrified for this storm. Cliff Mass should be releasing his commentary on the updated weather models any minute now. We'll see what he has to say.

EDIT: It's up. http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2016/10/storm-update.html?m=0

tl;dr - It looks like a compromise between the GFS and ECMWF models. Likely gonna be the worst storm we've seen in the past few years, but unlikely going to approach the destructive power of the Columbus Day storm of 1962 (thankfully)

riotous

Banned
Latest news is that the storm isn't as big as predicted, but those of us in the North end should get a good wallop.

Still likely to have lots of power outages in Seattle with the storm there being 10mph worse than yesterday.

Trouble

Banned
I like my voter's pamphlet like I like my women, thick and full of detailed information. This year certainly delivered.

Also, apparently I unknowingly bruised or cracked a rib. Just got back from urgent care and they were all 'sucks to be you, welcome to your next two weeks'.

Hey Seattleites,

CLEAN YOUR FUCKING STORMDRAINS.

Just came in from fighting the rainstorm and clearing more shit away from the drains and preventing my street from becoming a river.

I'm vigilant about cleaning stormdrains, shoveling snow, etc. No one else seems to care. Ugh.

jb1234

I'm really hoping this expansive light rail proposition passes. Our traffic problem is completely unsustainable without investing in mass transit.

Ourobolus

Banned
I know I posted earlier about moving to Seattle, but my company finally gave me the unofficial "everything will be ok" with transferring my job out west! My wife is already out there crashing on someone's futon, but hopefully in a few months I should be out there!

I know I posted earlier about moving to Seattle, but my company finally gave me the unofficial "everything will be ok" with transferring my job out west! My wife is already out there crashing on someone's futon, but hopefully in a few months I should be out there!

Awesome news, welcome to cool city.

jb1234

Speaking of voting, what is everyone's opinion on ST3 light rail proposal?

At first, I was all for it because our traffic blows but after doing the math, I concluded that I can't actually afford the tax increase with my fixed income. I've talked to a lot of my disabled and retired friends who are in the same boat. It asks for a lot with benefits that won't be clear for decades.

bachikarn

Anyone else trying to buy a house on the Westside? Currently trying to escape Bothell. Just put an offer on a house in Green lake and got outbid. Winning bid was a 150K over list price. Looking on Redfin and it seems like all the decent houses in the area are getting bid up by 100K. Kind of killing my vibe. Thinking about Shoreline but it is getying crazy there too and not a huge step up from Bothell imo, but I could be convinced otherwise. At least it'd be a shorter drive to Seattle and light rail connection in 5 years.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone else trying to buy a house on the Westside? Currently trying to escape Bothell. Just put an offer on a house in Green lake and got outbid. Winning bid was a 150K over list price. Looking on Redfin and it seems like all the decent houses in the area are getting bid up by 100K. Kind of killing my vibe. Thinking about Shoreline but it is getying crazy there too and not a huge step up from Bothell imo, but I could be convinced otherwise. At least it'd be a shorter drive to Seattle and light rail connection in 5 years.

It's tough. If you want an amazing realtor I can pm you mine. We've bought two houses with her as have all our friends. She was born and raised in Seattle and knows it inside out.

I'm voting against ST3 because the actual routes only sort of make sense now and yet again it doesn't properly take advantage of the aurora 99 corridor because it isn't attractive to developers. And further the idea that we can actually do long term cross generational policy is admirable but super naive. Everything else I will go full hippie except judges. I always have to Google/stranger those random roles and people.

I'm in Green Lake, bought back in 2007. It was kinda crazy back then but things are downright insane at the moment. We also bought about six months before Roosevelt station was announced, so that probably helped as well.

Top Bottom