• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SeaWorld sending emails trying to defeat orca ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

SeaWorld here on the Gold Coast, Australia are usually the first responders to incidents of whales and dolphins getting injured or stuck in nets off our shores. They do a good job, and their animals seem happy enough. I know a couple of people who work there, and they consider the animals they care for as their family.
This is bullshit. Seem happy enough? What, do the dolphins seem happy enough to you because they're always smiling? You don't know a goddamn thing about the welfare of these animals.

Helping injured whales and dolphins is commendable of course, but I can guarantee that not a single dolphin or orca is happy to live in a tiny pool.

This is bullshit. Seem happy enough? What, do the dolphins seem happy enough to you because they're always smiling? You don't know a goddamn thing about the welfare of these animals.

Helping injured whales and dolphins is commendable of course, but I can guarantee that not a single dolphin or orca is happy to live in a tiny pool.

Hey, maybe you're right, maybe I don't know a thing about the animals. The people I know who worked/work at SeaWorld often tell me how excited the animals are to see them and such. I mean, they could be lying to me, but they don't come across as people who would lie to acquire approval. Also, they all love the animals there and I can't imagine any of them not speaking up if they believe an animal is stressed or hurting in general.

I don't usually go to SeaWorld because it's right next to the Broadwater and I'd rather go JetSkiing alongside wild dolphins. They love swimming alongside the ski, don't know why though.

Hey, maybe you're right, maybe I don't know a thing about the animals. The people I know who worked/work at SeaWorld often tell me how excited the animals are to see them and such. I mean, they could be lying to me, but they don't come across as people who would lie to acquire approval. Also, they all love the animals there and I can't imagine any of them not speaking up if they believe an animal is stressed or hurting in general.

I don't usually go to SeaWorld because it's right next to the Broadwater and I'd rather go JetSkiing alongside wild dolphins. They love swimming alongside the ski, don't know why though.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So reading that email and then the bill, what they're leaving out and really worried about is being unable to breed orcas to keep in captivity in the future.

Tough.

Sea World just can't change their business, they're so stubborn. Just accept that orcas won't be your main attraction. Downsize appropriately.

As I said, they don't come across as the type to ignore signs that an animal is distressed, so I'm mainly just trusting their experiences and feedback.

The point of the quote isn't that some people are evil or intentionally unobservant. Your friends can be amazing people and still have a blind spot to this. It's just human nature.

Mr-Joker

Banned
SeaWorld is a global leader in the understanding and care of killer whales. The whales at SeaWorld are healthy and thriving and live as long as their counterparts in the wild.

What is this bullshit lie? The Orcas in Seaworld have shorter lifespan and are more prone to diseases.

We have not collected from the wild in more than 35 years, and will not do so in the future.

That's because it's illegal so again you're being misleading to come off as the good guy.

Honestly Seaworld should just admit defeat and shut down the Orca breeding program and stop using them as a public attractions, they belong in the sea and not a swimming pool.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

what? How the hell can you guarantee that?

The thing that gets me about the entire ordeal is that a giant amount of anti-seaworlders probably own pets of their own. Should they be confined to such living situations? Getting food whenever they want, being cared for? It's insane, and it fits right with PETAs agenda, which is basically kill all captive animals and never do it again.

The whales I can understand to an extent, I think the tanks should be bigger. But take out the skewed stats, and the whales lifespan is fine. They don't play happy, they are happy. Keiko the killer whale was released... what happened? He came back to sure looking for human contact and not too long later died from pneumonia. Animals often enjoy interaction.

On top of this the money is like others have said, used to preserve and rescue countless animals. Beached whales, sea lions, walruses. Hell the orlando sea turtle exhibit is both incredible, but also depressing. They have multiple giant sea turtles rescued from various different issues, whether it be pollution, oil spills, shark attacks, etc. They're deemed unreleasable and they give them a home. They have one that lost its lower jaw after an oil spill. They personally feed it every day. The people who work their aren't slave drivers, they clearly care about the animals it's why they get into it.

If we shutdown seaworld, we may as well shutdown every aquarium and zoo in the world, because it's quite literally no different.

Christopher

Orcas are beautiful creatures I'm so glad I got to see the magnificent and majestic animals before the Liberals had their field day to yet again ruin something

You don't want them to do tricks, sure fine, but to ban them from being seen and exhibited, bullshit.

Orcastar

what? How the hell can you guarantee that?

The thing that gets me about the entire ordeal is that a giant amount of anti-seaworlders probably own pets of their own. Should they be confined to such living situations? Getting food whenever they want, being cared for? It's insane, and it fits right with PETAs agenda, which is basically kill all captive animals and never do it again.

Dolphins and orcas are not pets. They're wild animals that normally live in large, highly complex social groups that roam vast ranges encompassing hundreds or thousands of square miles of ocean. Confining them into pools of any size is inhumane.

The whales I can understand to an extent, I think the tanks should be bigger. But take out the skewed stats, and the whales lifespan is fine. They don't play happy, they are happy. Keiko the killer whale was released... what happened? He came back to sure looking for human contact and not too long later died from pneumonia. Animals often enjoy interaction.
They are not happy. Captive orcas in particular often develop physical and psychological problems. And what exactly do you mean by skewed stats? Captive orcas have shorter lifespans than wild ones. That is a fact.

As for Keiko, he lived practically his whole life in captivity with little to no contact with other orcas. Considering that wild orcas spend their entire lives living in a pod, it's no wonder Keiko couldn't adapt to the wild anymore.

And yes, as highly social and intelligent animals, dolphins and orcas do indeed enjoy interaction. Do you know where they get to enjoy plenty of interaction with their own kind instead of with humans? Out in the wild.

On top of this the money is like others have said, used to preserve and rescue countless animals. Beached whales, sea lions, walruses. Hell the orlando sea turtle exhibit is both incredible, but also depressing. They have multiple giant sea turtles rescued from various different issues, whether it be pollution, oil spills, shark attacks, etc. They're deemed unreleasable and they give them a home. They have one that lost its lower jaw after an oil spill. They personally feed it every day. The people who work their aren't slave drivers, they clearly care about the animals it's why they get into it.
The dolphins and orcas you see at Seaworld and other aquariums were not some poor injured animals rescued and nursed back to health; they were hunted down and enslaved for profit and entertainment.

If we shutdown seaworld, we may as well shutdown every aquarium and zoo in the world, because it's quite literally no different.
msdstc
Incredibly Naive

If necessary, absolutely.

Do you know the initial condition of some of the creatures they help?

oh come on now

keeping an orca (a HUGE extremly intelligent whale) in a tiny space IS animal cruelty and just wrong.
SeaWorld is a business. nothing else.

Whales need to roam freely(they roam thousands of miles in a year) or otherwise they get depressed and/or worse become insane.
it does not matter if they born in captivity. it's against all their natural instincts and should not be supported

If you are going to have animals within exhibits and the like, they need to be in the proper sized homes and have what they need to be comfortable so they can thrive.

Shoving whales into tiny ass glass rooms then making them prance around and do tricks is fucked up and defeats the purpose of "saving them" entirely. Seaworld is known for mistreating its animals and keeping them in conditions no animal should ever be subjected to which is why they are under constant fire. They deserve it for being cruel to animals who didn't ask for any of this to happen to them. They should be shut down entirely.

Anyone saying "if people are outraged by this then close all museums/aquariums/& shit" are completely ridiculous. It's not black and white. It's pretty fucking simple; if you are going to take in animals as massive as these, they need to be in the proper sized homes and be treated respectfully. They aren't fucking play things.

I misread the title as "SeaWorld trying to send emails to defeat Orca ban", and a part of me hoped it would turn out that they didn't know how to use a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom