• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Section 8: Prejudice |OT| Thread of ridiculously good value $15 PSN/XBLA/GFWL

section8prejudice866557.jpg

Section 8: Prejudice will hit Xbox Live on April 20, PC on May 4 and PSN during Summer 2011. Best news of all? TimeGate will be offering the entire game for only $14.99, or 1200 MS Points for the Xbox 360.

In the distant future, humanity will call on its most fearless defenders to confront an emerging threat determined to eradicate all human life as we know it. Section 8®: Prejudice™ is a sci-fi first-person shooter with dynamic combat, where every decision – from customizing equipment to activating team based objectives – drastically impacts the battlefield.

Play as Alex Corde and discover the sinister series of betrayals that now threaten humanity’s survival in the single player campaign.
Compete in various multiplayer modes with up to 32 players – from the extreme, strategic play of “Conquest” to the hordes of robust AI opponents in “Swarm”.
Strategically spawn anywhere on the battlefield to assist allies or ambush enemies.
Customize loadout weapons, ammo, and equipment to suit your playstyle.
Call in deployables and vehicles when and where you need them to gain tactical advantages.
Master true mobility with dropping, overdrive, and jetpacks to outmaneuver opponents.
Complete a variety of Dynamic Combat Missions – from launching aerial strikes against fortified positions to securing crucial intel.
Advance in rank and skill to access a devastating arsenal of over 60 weapon, equipment, and upgrade variants.

32 player online battles
Full single player campaign
Co-op Swarm mode

Eurogamer gives it a 9 out of 10!

Great video walkthru here

Launch Trailer

Comes out tomorrow 4/20 for Xbox 360. PSN and PC releases to follow.

Pylon_Trooper said:
If you're a fan of the original Section 8 from Timegate Studios, you'll be happy to know they're back with a follow-up game in the form of Prejudice. The announcement has been covered here on GAF, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to collate all the previews and information thus far into a single thread for reference.

For all the haters, it looks like Timegate are really working hard to refine the formula they presented in the original. They're looking to give more personality to the Section 8 world, along with tightening controls and make it easier for newcomers to understand the flow, mechanics and gunplay of the large-scale multiplayer-focused shooter.

Also, the campaign is now not simply a two hour primer for online.

Balancing is a main focus on the weapon loadout, along with the new inclusion of ammo types for individual weapons. A persistent unlock system is now in play, obviously taking cues from CoD and Battlefield. The graphics look sharper, the movement more refined. New vehicles are present, along with third-person orbital diving and more DCMs.

---

Official Section 8: Prejudice Site

Section 8 - The Making Of / Part 01 - Official Video

---

Section 8 Prejudice Teaser Trailer
Gamespot Exclusive First Details and Interview with Design Director Brett Norton
Tom Chick - 8 Things You Didn't Know About Section 8 Prejudice
Game Informer - Three Videos on Section 8 Prejudice's Improvements
IGN PC Preview - Five reasons why you should care about Section 8 Prejudice
Gamespot - First impressions, Swarm mode
Gametrailers Swarm Mode Developer Walkthrough
Gamepro - Section 8: Prejudice hands-on Preview

Gamespot - We just played Section 8: Prejudice Campaign
Pixel Enemy - Pax 2011 Interview with Gameplay Footage

---

New Interview With Brett Norton of Timegate about Section 8: Prejudice
Section 8: Prejudice Interview with Timegate's president, Adel Chaveleh.

---

PC BETA FOOTAGE

Section 8: Prejudice Beta - Coursing the Community Manager - Day 1 Winner!
Section 8: Prejudice Beta - AoD vs TAW Scrimmage on Eden Part 1 of 2
Section 8: Prejudice Beta - AoD vs TAW Scrimmage on Eden Part 2 of 2

---

---

...my own personal opinion is that it's already hard enough to shuffle into a genre where franchise clout is already a big deterrent in players investigating newcomers. Granted, Section 8 had a host of issues, but its core premise was terrific and when people knew what to do and how to play the game, it was a very awesome experience. It wasn't a pick-up-and-play title in the same way as Halo is, and the comparisons really shouldn't go further than "it's a sci-fi shooter with vehicles". Sure, there are similarities, but Section 8 - and it seems Prejudice is building upon this - does enough on its own to warrant intrigue and interest. It wasn't a perfect shooter, not by a long shot, but if the controls are tightened and the shooting beefed up/made to offer more feedback, Prejudice could be something really special.

May the peanut gallery revel in their recycled snark, but the fans stoke their anticipation. :lol

prejudice04.jpg.jpg

prejudice03.jpg.jpg

Shurs

Just booting up the Xbox to give this a go right now. It looks like I missed the multiplayer sessions set up for reviewers, but I'll play some bot matches and some single player.

I'll give you some impressions tomorrow when my embargo lifts.

I'll probably record some HD game play videos tonight.

I remember being extremely underwhelmed by the demo of the original game. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. Will give the trial a download.

V_Ben

Banned
I'm trying to come to this one with a clear head, but the Timegate shenanigans still worry me somewhat. Hope this does well for them though. It looks sweet, now let's wait until PSN gets it, gotta love timed exclusivity. :p

Buying once my 360s is running again, MK tomorrow anyhow so will be trying that out on another 360 for now.

Game looks like good fun and packed full for the asking price.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
V_Ben said:
I'm trying to come to this one with a clear head, but the Timegate shenanigans still worry me somewhat. Hope this does well for them though. It looks sweet, now let's wait until PSN gets it, gotta love timed exclusivity. :p
The business side of gaming has always been depressing.

It sounds great on paper. Only thing I'm worried about is the online community. Particularly whether it's going to have one. That issue makes the decision of which platform to grab it on more complicated.

Daigoro

im watching the walkthrough video now. looks pretty cool.

i havent really heard anything about this game at all and never played the first one. im interested now though.

seems like it could be quite fun. 15$ seems actually very reasonable for this as well.

drop spawning is awesome.

SapientWolf said:
It sounds great on paper. Only thing I'm worried about is the online community. Particularly whether it's going to have one. That issue makes the decision of which platform to grab it on more complicated.

PC is a safe bet, surely. Although...could be quite the sleeper hit on 360. PSN, to a lesser extent.

This game goes hand in hand with the other discussion going on now about pricing games cheaper. It is obvious this game SHOULD cost more. Timegate is taking a risk on the price here in hopes of Battlefield 1943 success.

They know from the original what sales they would expect at retail at a $60 retail price. The hope is they will sell more than 4x that amount in the digital space by pricing it at $15.

We will see if the market cares or responds to the price by embracing the game or shunning it.

Brakara

Warm Machine said:
They know from the original what sales they would expect at retail at a $60 retail price. The hope is they will sell more than 4x that amount in the digital space by pricing it at $15.

They don't need to sell 4x the amount, since they get a much larger cut on a downloadable sale than on a sale of a retail disc.

Anyway, when do XBLA titles normally go up on Wednesdays? Normally, I'm working but I'm actually home today ready to play this game (Easter, yay).

Brakara

It's up on XBLA (currently downloading it). There's also a DLC pack that includes Napalm mortar, incendiary shotgun rounds and blitz armor unlocks for $3/240 MSP (bleh).

If you can't see it on the new releases list, just go to A-Z and select "Section 8: Prejudice". The trial and full versions can be found there.

Daigoro

definitly going to get the demo, and will buy if it plays well. that walkthrough made it look pretty fun.

would try today if i wasnt going home to play Portal 2 after work. later this week then.

Brakara said:
It's up on XBLA (currently downloading it). There's also a DLC pack that includes Napalm mortar, incendiary shotgun rounds and blitz armor unlocks for $3/240 MSP (bleh).

If you can't see it on the new releases list, just go to A-Z and select "Section 8: Prejudice". The trial and full versions can be found there.

unlocks, as in: you could unlock this on your own, or just buy now! type thing?

Kafel

Banned
Is it interesting enough in solo or is the game considered "online only" despite the efforts to add single player gameplay ?

S1kkZ

Kafel said:
Is it interesting enough in solo or is the game considered "online only" despite the efforts to add single player gameplay ?
the single player portion of the demo seemed pretty decent. you can also play with bots.

Kafel

Banned
Thanks.

Unfortunately the first paragraph from the xboxygen review doesn't let much doubt : it's an online game at its core and the solo parts can easily be dismissed. : /

EvolveTom

Glad the NeoGAF finally found this sucker :) I've been working on it for a while, and was really hoping you folks would uncover it a bit sooner.

But yeah, despite the fact that I get paid to promote the game, it's wicked good. For $15, I figure it's giving me as much value as Shadow Complex (which I played to death)... and I'm not much of an MP guy... still, Prejudice is a blast in multi.

And for Halo comparisons... it plays NOTHING like Halo. Try a game of Conquest with a full server (even if there happen to be bots in there, as the game does feature offline bot support) and tell me it plays like Halo. I will laugh! :)

At least check it out and see if you like it. It's cheap, and TimeGate really committed to tightening up the gameplay from the original.

EvolveTom said:
Glad the NeoGAF finally found this sucker :) I've been working on it for a while, and was really hoping you folks would uncover it a bit sooner.

But yeah, despite the fact that I get paid to promote the game, it's wicked good. For $15, I figure it's giving me as much value as Shadow Complex (which I played to death)... and I'm not much of an MP guy... still, Prejudice is a blast in multi.

And for Halo comparisons... it plays NOTHING like Halo. Try a game of Conquest with a full server (even if there happen to be bots in there, as the game does feature offline bot support) and tell me it plays like Halo. I will laugh! :)

At least check it out and see if you like it. It's cheap, and TimeGate really committed to tightening up the gameplay from the original.

Awesome to hear from a fellow on the inside! There are definitely a few fans of Section 8 kicking around here. We're few in number, but ardent supporters of the franchise.

Any word on specific digital retailers on the PC front? Gamersgate, Direct2drive etc?

Billen

Banned
This gives me such extreme Tribes vibes (wow, that actually worked). Now to the question of what platform. Since I am an FPS gamer at heart, I suppose that the PC is my obvious choice. Then again, people I know will probably buy it on one of the consoles.

Decisions, decisions.

Edit: dat spelink

DaBuddaDa

This game is ripping up the reviews so far. I haven't seen anything lower than a 4/5 or 90%. Sadly, I just assumed for the longest time this was another shovelware, ho-hum downloadable shooter. Maybe not! I might grab it on PC May 4th.

PSYGN

Looks good, but no local multiplayer :-(
Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a budget game.

I'm considering buying it anyways.

PSYGN said:
Looks good, but no local multiplayer :-(
Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a budget game.

I'm considering buying it anyways.

That'd be the icing on the cake, but hey. From all I've read, the only budget part about the game is simply the pricing.

PC for me.

Billen

Banned
Just saw the TotalHalibut video. While I think this one might be damaged by going up against Portal 2, I firmly believe it will be able to stand on it's own. The gameplay looks fucking awesome.

And oh, PC here aswell.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why am I the first to complain about GFWL? I so would like to play this. :(

Just imagine if I didn't live in one of the meager 35 GFWL Live enabled countries. Ha. Oh, my bitching would increase.

Lyphen said:
Why am I the first to complain about GFWL? I so would like to play this. :(

Just imagine if I didn't live in one of the meager 35 GFWL Live enabled countries. Ha. Oh, my bitching would increase.
What exactly is your problem with GFWL again? I'm just curious.

Neuromancer said:

Paging ol' Ghst! I know he's had a lot of issues with it. I've had nothing but smooth sailing, but then again, I've only been playing Battlestations: Pacific and a little Blacklight: TD on PC with it. No issues here, but why they went with GFWL and not Steam is anyone's guess.

I'm just glad we got a sequel!

The first game was so underappreciated. The servers on the original still see quite a few players ever since they dropped the original game's price down to $10 in most stores. That usually gives a this game is not good vibe to people but I know that seeing it on live for 15$ at launch will convince a lot more people to buy it.

I think we should have some huge GAF customs this saturday.... (someone please tell me there is customs)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Neuromancer said:
  • Lengthy Microsoft patch certification process (that speech codec patch they did on Live in the fall? It broke chat in a lot of games. Dawn of War 2 patch to fix it took two weeks due to MS Cert), and the sign in, load, patch and exit process itself.
  • Useless 'client' that doesn't integrate friends properly and does not have drop in play. I have an easier time going on Xbox.com to see what my friendslist is up to.
  • As mentioned before, region locking PC games and Live accounts based on what country you're in.
  • You can't tie games to your account. Street Fighter IV? My key no longer works after reformatting. I should be able to sign in and access my own games instead of them operating in different DRM systems.
  • Speaking of DRM, for what is supposed to be an integrated solution to PC games, the DRM systems used are all over the map. 5 systems 5 installs? Just 3? SecuROM?
  • Encrypted save system with offline/online segregation to prevent achievement cheaters. No cloud saves for settings. Supposed to facilitate the save game process but nothing is stored in Documents/Saved Games and everything is located randomly.
  • I can't be on my Xbox 360 and on GFWL at the same time.
  • No backup process. Sure, you can just put the entire folder somewhere, but Steam allows you to format your backups to certain media types.

EvolveTom

BeeDog said:
Graphically speaking, it looks like an uglier knock-off of a Halo game (and I don't particularly like the style of Bungie's games, for what it's worth), but it looks pretty fun. As said, the spawning is pretty damn cool.
Plays toooooootally different than Halo. This is more like Tribes-meets-Battlefield, I'd say, than anything Halo or CoD-related.

And man... offline bot support! Player-set-up dedicated servers! Gah! Awesome.

Top Bottom