• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Section 8: Prejudice |OT| Thread of ridiculously good value $15 PSN/XBLA/GFWL

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm just contemplating whether or not I should brave GFWL on PC or suck it up with a controller and fumble around embarrassingly. I wish I didn't have to make the choice at all, because I'd like to play the game without making a compromise.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Neuromancer said:
That sucks dude, MS needs to get on that shit.
They totally do.

It's totally never going to happen.

Seriously, looking at the reviews makes me want to buy this game, and 15 bucks is at the level of an impulse buy, but GFWL is literally a deal breaker for me. The patch certification thing alone is enough to kill this on PC for me. It's a multiplayer shooter, you need to be able to come out with balance/bugfix patches whenever they're needed, not a month down the road when Microsoft decides to allow it.

Fair call, Lyphen. If GFWL were in better shape, especially given the competition in terms of online services, there wouldn't be such a fuss in the first place.

I suspect some folks would even prefer Gamespy.

Mrbob

A reason to boot up my 360. Tribes talk is interesting as it is my favorite multi player game of all time. I'll get the trial tonight.

Lyphen said:
I'm just contemplating whether or not I should brave GFWL on PC or suck it up with a controller and fumble around embarrassingly. I wish I didn't have to make the choice at all, because I'd like to play the game without making a compromise.

I'd probably just get it on 360 if I were you. I think the PC version is going to be a ghost town since the game is supporting GFWL.

Brakara

Dynamic combat missions (DCMs) are what Homefront's "AI" director wanted to be. Here, it's actually good.

Oh, and I love that you can play offline games against bots.

Seriously, this game is a steal at $15. It flat out shames a full priced game like Homefront.

Can anyone with the 360 version tell me what kind of options there are for offline games with bots? Can you choose how many bots are on each side? That was always something that bothered me about the first game because you couldn't do that, there were only a few pre-arranged setups.

wwm0nkey

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Have you been playing online? Tell us more, tell us more!
Yeah ive been playing the online (will do SP later) and its just fun, love how you can customize your guys abilities and ect and the gameplay feels like Tribes/Halo/Battlefield rolled into one giant awesome game. If you have $15 go get this game, if not go get $15 and get this game.

wwm0nkey

Kusagari said:
Are there actually a lot of people playing it online on 360?
Yeah, the trail allows for 30 free minutes on online so I would expect there too be and it seems like a decent chunk of people also actually just bought the game :lol

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah ive been playing the online (will do SP later) and its just fun, love how you can customize your guys abilities and ect and the gameplay feels like Tribes/Halo/Battlefield rolled into one giant awesome game. If you have $15 go get this game, if not go get $15 and get this game.

Will download tonight! XBL gt: esotericdaemon

Downloading right now.

Brakara said:
They don't need to sell 4x the amount, since they get a much larger cut on a downloadable sale than on a sale of a retail disc.

It is a different scenario here. Southpeak probably took the brunt of the sales last time as publisher.

If MS takes 30% (which would be the lowest they probably would) they still only make $10.50 a copy. And Epic is going to start taking a cut unless it came out of the budget upfront.

If the budget was 5 million they have to sell around 476k copies to break even. Battlefield 1943 did it in a few days so maybe Section 8 will be as lucky!

I was in the beta for this (on pc).

It's an excellent game, a 60 dollar value mp game for 15 dollars with more teamplay and more fun to be had than in all the "AAA" (AAA budget, D- talent and fun) shooters this gen.

Runs really well, very polished, nice graphics , really nice map design, good gameplay , fun original weapons.

Think tribes x battlefield x halo.

Compared to recent embarrasments like homefront, this game is a must buy imo.

I resent GFWL so much, but this and dawn of war II are the two games I made an exception for.

Again, please don't be deceived by the price tag, it's just amazing value, not a half assed game.

wwm0nkey said:
So who else has played this so far?

I just played one game. First drop in I did really well. Helped capture a point and got some kills and assists. From there on in I was lucky to get a 1:1 KD or help the team at all. Pretty good game though so far.

thefil

You guys have sold me. I wanted Microsoft to put Reach on PC, but it looks like this will be as good and save me $45 to boot.

wwm0nkey

Deadstar said:
Are the graphics outdated on the PC? The screens looked pretty good.
If the 360 version is anything to go by the graphics are just fine. Eden is an amazing looking map also.

I am very impressed by this game. I remember being underwhelmed by it's predecessor but this one feels a lot tighter and more responsive. Offers something a lot different from most shooters as well.

wwm0nkey

ARXIN said:
I am very impressed by this game. I remember being underwhelmed by it's predecessor but this one feels a lot tighter and more responsive. Offers something a lot different from most shooters as well.
This game just gives you soooo many options, you really could turn this game into a tower defense game if you and your squad really want too :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't wait to play this. Absolutely loved the first one, but it's unfortunate release window basically sent it to die.

Hopefully this one gets more people on board.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So what are the new additions, in list form? I know there is a new campaign and a Swarm mode. What about maps, vehicles, and weapons?

wwm0nkey

SapientWolf said:
So what are the new additions, in list form? I know there is a new campaign and a Swarm mode. What about maps, vehicles, and weapons?
Sadly I didnt play the first game enough to list the changes :(

Phonomezer said:
9/10 from Eurogamer has me interested.

i would have bought this on PSN today just based on all the positive hype..i'm sure it'll die down by the time its available and i'd have moved on..pity :(

image.php

Alis Landale, still my favorite female in gaming. Ever.

wwm0nkey

If anything the hype will build, a lot of people are seeing this as a VERY great deal and jumping on it fast.

Also its pretty sad that this $15 game has a longer SP and better MP than Homefront :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
wwm0nkey said:
If anything the hype will build, a lot of people are seeing this as a VERY great deal and jumping on it fast.

Also its pretty sad that this $15 game has a longer SP and better MP than Homefront :lol
Homefront's MP plays like a CoD/BF mixtape. Section 8 strikes me as more of a Halo type of experience. There's definitely going to be people that prefer one over the other.

Does the demo offer any online multiplayer? Seems like that would be a smart way to avoid empty servers at launch, which end up being mentioned as a negative in reviews.

wwm0nkey

SapientWolf said:
Homefront's MP plays like a CoD/BF mixtape. Section 8 strikes me as more of a Halo type of experience. There's definitely going to be people that prefer one over the other.

Does the demo offer any online multiplayer? Seems like that would be a smart way to avoid empty servers at launch, which end up being mentioned as a negative in reviews.
Yes you get 30min of game time.

Xander51

I checked out the demo of this, it's really cool. I only ever played the demo of the first game and it didn't do much for me. This however seems like an incredible value.

Multiplayer is fast and feels like a mix of Battlefield and Crysis with a jet pack.

GFWL is a bit of a bummer.

Does the game have smaller maps? What I'm really wondering is if it's suitable for 4-8 player games with my friends or if you need the full 32 to get the most out of it.

Raide

Really interested to see how this does. Hopefully it sell enough to get some DLC and other content updates. Enjoyed the first Section 8 but this version looks much better. My only problem was with how the guns felt a little light when you use them, has that been sorted?

equil

I played a few games online, before going into singleplayer.
The multiplayer is pretty fun.

I recommend going into singleplayer first, even if its just the first level, because you learn so much more about the controls.

I didnt realize there was a "Lock-on" button until after i played single. lol

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I was one of those freaks that actually played the shit out of the first one on 360. I loved it. The "burn in" spawn is a beast, and the dynamic random missions kept the battle rolling all over the map. I liked the turbo run that automatically took over after you sprinted for a few seconds, made it easy to get to the action. I thought it was fun game and had lots of innovative little features, it never got the love it deserved!

equil said:
I played a few games online, before going into singleplayer.
The multiplayer is pretty fun.

I recommend going into singleplayer first, even if its just the first level, because you learn so much more about the controls.

I didnt realize there was a "Lock-on" button until after i played single. lol

This. It will definitely help you out in multi.

Anyway, game is awesome. I bought it straight off, no need for no stinkin' trial.

wind_steaker said:
GFWL is a bit of a bummer.

Does the game have smaller maps? What I'm really wondering is if it's suitable for 4-8 player games with my friends or if you need the full 32 to get the most out of it.

You can fill out the other slots with bots, and Section 8 bots don't mess about...so, fear not!

Keric

Wait, I'm confused. This is coming to Steam right? Steam has it for 13.49 right now...

edit: for pre-purchase I mean

Keric said:
Wait, I'm confused. This is coming to Steam right? Steam has it for 13.49 right now...

edit: for pre-purchase I mean

But check out the fine print below. Actually, it's bolded. You'll see that it still requires GFWL. Strange, but hey.

Top Bottom