• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA AM2 Collection Vol. 1 |OT| Now you can Model 2

NA:
November 27th PSN
November 28th XBLA

EU:
December 5th PSN
November 28th XBLA

Info
- Online multiplayer
- Trophies/achievements
- Complete arcade version - should be content complete in terms of characters/secrets etc.
- $4.99 a pop
- 4:3

Virtua Fighter 2

VF2--article_image.jpg

The series biggest leap, and second only to the series pinnacle VF4 Evo, Virtua Fighter 2 was a groundbreaking achievement in graphics and fighting engine design. From the awe of beholding texture maps for the first time, to the dumbstruck feeling when you passed under the bridge, to the introduction of two highly technical fighters, Shun Di and Lion, and the explosion of every character's move set, Virtua Fighter 2 was one of the most memorable arcade experiences available, and the prospect of an arcade perfect port has long been sought after.

Fighting Vipers

f7af3_Games_News_472809c69234d8f834845cf52ed6fc4f31dfb6e1.jpg__620x482_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

One of AM2's stranger releases, Fighting Vipers blended strange character design with armor based fighting mechanics in walled in arenas. Filled with more spectacle than the VF series, this is Sega at it's 90's spectacle finest, with triple takes of dramatic hits, armor splintering off as the matches progressed, and walls busting down in big match finishes. It was an acquired taste to be sure, but if you've ever wondered what it was like to slam you're guitar into a Maido chick, busting her armor off and sending her flying through a fence, all while a 747 roars over your head on a runway... well, Fighting Vipers scratches that itch.

Sonic the Fighters

Sonic-Fighters-600x250.jpg

Never played it, haven't heard great things. Probably a novelty act, but Sonic fans might get more leverage. For what it's worth, this release includes multiple new characters (thanks to Azure Dream)

NOTE:
Virtual On and Virtua Striker, though originally announced as part of the "collection" will be available later
Please support so we all have a shot at a Panzer Dragoon, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop and Shenmue collections :)

_____

Meet ups, greet ups, glove slaps, and beat downs all permitted. Please enjoy, and let me know if you want any info added to the OT.

qq more

Is Virtua Soccer released along with these games at the same day?
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Totally getting Sonic The Fighters.

Is Virtua Soccer released along with these games at the same day?
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Totally getting Sonic The Fighters.

The announcement video showed Virtua Striker and Virtual On being released with these, but the store previews are only depicting these three. Will update if they pop up.

Reiko

Banned
OP... I still remember Tokio's airport stage from Fighting Vipers making my jaw drop in the arcades.

Beckx

The announcement video showed Virtua Striker and VOOT being released with these, but the store previews are only depicting these three. Will update if they pop up.

Not VOOT (which is already available), but the original VO. Need that game.

Will get VF2 and FV (the latter more for nostalgia reasons).

One of the Model 3\Naomi Virtua Striker 2 games would be a much better bet from Sega to release in this form.. The first Virtua Striker has aged horribly and was never any good to begin with.

To be honest, I'd be willing to bet most people would hate the DC Virtua Striker 2 which is infinitely better than the prequel.... I quite like it though. Something pretty cool about rating the goals.. Of course, I am totally willing to concede that the controls feel so automated that it almost plays itself.

KageMaru

Will be double dipping these (eventually) for sure. Really wish Sega started porting their catalog of classics earlier this Gen.

HyperHip

Will be grabbing Sonic & Fighting Vipers for sure tomorrow. Ready to wreck shit with Knuckles/Bark all over again! >:)

Fighting Vipers is one of my favourite fighting games ever! I just love the character designs!

Raxel was so Spinal Tap!
intro_raxel.png

also
wp-honey-01-10241-379x275.jpg

I'm very glad that I will finally be able to play Sonic The Fighters since no arcade had it back then and as a Sonic fan I drooled over the screenshots they had in EGM or some other magazine (don't remember which). Sonic was still good back then so I had high hopes for this title.

GrayFoxPL

I'm very glad that I will finally be able to play Sonic The Fighters since no arcade had it back then and as a Sonic fan I drooled over the screenshots they had in EGM or some other magazine (don't remember which). Sonic was still good back then so I had high hopes for this title.

Sonic the Fighters is on sonic gems collection on ps2 and gamecube.

Having played it not too long ago - it's a piece of shit. They should pay you to play it, I mean it.

Based on the Gems Collection version, it's not that great, but for $5, it would make a fun diversion.

Almost kinda wish the Saturn version they were reportedly working on came to fruition. Wouldn't have saved the Saturn by any means, but it'd still have been nice. At least this version fully implements half-baked content left in the game files (ie: Honey the Cat, a reference to the Fighting Vipers character)

Galdelico

Hope the wed XBLA release is meant to be worldwide and not just in the US... I need my VF2 and FV asap. :D

Is it known if this collection will be labeled by volume, as in Model 2 Collection Vol.1 Virtua Fighter 2 or if will be just the three games unsorted?

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Virtua Striker and Virtual On will be coming out in 2013 (probably February). Will be getting all three of these.

Wish the game selection was better/more varied to start out. These releases only make me sad though, because it's 2012/13 and we are barely getting Model 2 releases, which means Model 3 is probably far, far away.

PJX

Wish the game selection was better/more varied to start out. These releases only make me sad though, because it's 2012/13 and we are barely getting Model 2 releases, which means Model 3 is probably far, far away.

But we had Lindbergh titles before we had Model 2 games, so therefore we can get Model 3 games at any time.

Hope the wed XBLA release is meant to be worldwide and not just in the US... I need my VF2 and FV asap. :D

Is it known if this collection will be labeled by volume, as in Model 2 Collection Vol.1 Virtua Fighter 2 or if will be just the three games unsorted?

Wait, isn't the Euro XBLA release this week too? :(

At any rate, buying all three. Particularly interested in revisiting Fighting Vipers.

Highly convoluted release scheduled clarified in OP, my apologies.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So, just to be clear, these are all extra features?

VF2: switch between ver2.0 and ver2.1, quick Dural select
FV: Sonic/Tails playable (?)
STF: playable Eggman/Metal Sonic, new/restored character Honey

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

What else do you want? Serious question. VF2, FV, VO and Daytona are like the only Model 2 games most people remember and want in the first place. There's a couple more racers sure, but then they run into more Daytona-esque licensing shit. This is like people saying Virtual Console has nothing good despite it having every Super Mario and Sonic and Final Fantasy that came out here. Just because you already played them to death doesn't mean it's uninteresting for everybody.

Prophane33

Will most likely pick up Virtua Striker, not interested in Sonic: The Fighters and I already own VF2, fighting Vipers and Virtual On on the Saturn (as well as Panzer Dragoon 1+2 and Virtua Cop 1+2); I would really love Shenmue though! Still, very tempted to pick up VF2 again but I already own 4 versions.

Edit: Would also love House of the Dead...and other Dreamcast era AM2 stuff (already own all the Saturn ports sans House of the Dead). Also, they need to release that Space Harrier collection that just came out on the Japanese PSN (which is a port of the PS2 Sega Ages release).

What's going on with the image quality in these ports?
8204309360_ac0e0a72c8_o.jpg

That's 720p, it's filtered and doesn't fit the screen resolution.

I was expecting something a bit sharper, more in line with this image from the Model 2 emulator..

I had been hoping this was just how sega had chosen to display the screens, and that that wasnt the way it looks on the screen. Youre saying it is, strange blue rimming and all? :(

Man at least put some presentation around it. Either that or just black.

Trojan X

Banned
I had been hoping this was just how sega had chosen to display the screens, and that that wasnt the way it looks on the screen. Youre saying it is, strange blue rimming and all? :(

Man at least put some presentation around it. Either that or just black.

As ElSemi worked on it I was hoping for Widescreen as its just an extra geometry unlock.

Tizoc

Glad to see an OT.
Will get all 3 when the store updates later today and mess with FV as I never played it before. Will main Jotaro and kick ass \m/
Gonna go on a SEGA buying bing today and get Shinobi PS2 to boot XP

Will main Beat in Sonic Fighters since he's my fav. character in the comic.

For those importing Ryu ga Gotoku 5, VF2 is included.

The game is not available for the 360.

Slygmous

I was hoping there would be an OT for this. I only have 400 points on my account, so I'll toss up between Sonic and FV - probably Sonic for the new content.

Hope to see you guys online!

I was hoping there would be an OT for this. I only have 400 points on my account, so I'll toss up between Sonic and FV - probably Sonic for the new content.

Hope to see you guys online!

Guy... This is madness. Fighting Vipers is a really great fighting game, there's actually still very little on the market like it.

Amagon

Fighting Vipers for me. Never played this one but I still have the sequel somewhere in my storage which I thought it was fun. Would like to see The Last Bronx being release down the line.

Top Bottom