• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA AM2 Collection Vol. 1 |OT| Now you can Model 2

I got Fighting Vipers. There is a full mode but all it does is stretch the image. Game still looks good bordered. It's 1080p and looks very clean.

Stretch isn't ideal, but at least it's there. I'll either play in 4:3 mode or use the Justified mode on my TV.

Well I don't see any issues with them, there's not screen tearing and everything animates rather smooth.
...and gaddamn at FV and VF2, it's like these games were designed so matches end within 5 seconds lol.

They're already out on US PSN, GO GO GO!

I have a PS3, but I'm gonna get it on 360 =/

Good news is the ports seems pretty spot on. As far as I can recall from playing both fv and vf2 in arcades, these are about as accurate as could ever hope for. Downside is the native 4:3 has the hideous blue border with no option to change it - it would just look so much better black. Worse, theres no true widescreen mode at all, and while fighting vipers look not to bad stretched, it really doesnt work for vf2. Online multi is certainly a nice bonus though

All in all, arcade perfect ports at last, just some really odd choices with the presentation - true anamorphic 16:9 probably should have been included.

iidesuyo

Sonic the Fighters was on some retro collection here in Europe, I remember it being really awful. Will go for VF2 and hopefully they will release Sega Rally at some point. What's the issue, licensing?

Good news is the ports seems pretty spot on. As far as I can recall from playing both fv and vf2 in arcades, these are about as accurate as could ever hope for. Downside is the native 4:3 has the hideous blue border with no option to change it - it would just look so much better black. Worse, theres no true widescreen mode at all, and while fighting vipers look not to bad stretched, it really doesnt work for vf2. Online multi is certainly a nice bonus though

All in all, arcade perfect ports at last, just some really odd choices with the presentation - true anamorphic 16:9 probably should have been included.

Interesting. At least there's an option for stretched mode but a true widescreen aspect ratio would have helped improve the appeal of these games. I look forward to hearing more about the netcode stability of online fights. That's where the real meat and potatoes are.

Folks, although the Virtua Fighter series has moved on and hence 2 can feel a bit dated, I highly recommend Fighting Vipers to fight fans. Nice original mechanics, cool/retro 90s character design, and just a ton of personality abound... definitely give it a go.

Interesting. At least there's an option for stretched mode but a true widescreen aspect ratio would have helped improve the appeal of these games. I look forward to hearing more about the netcode stability of online fights. That's where the real meat and potatoes are.

I tried a couple of matches today, getting similar performance to VF5: FS.

Reiko

Banned
Virtua Fighter 2 was the game for me and my friends back in the day. I think buying a Saturn at $400 and a copy of VF2 actually saved me money from going to the arcade every night. Will buy that purely on nostalgia, but wonder how it's going to hold up.

Wow. That is the same story for me. Bought a Saturn & VF2.

Reiko

Banned
Folks, although the Virtua Fighter series has moved on and hence 2 can feel a bit dated, I highly recommend Fighting Vipers to fight fans. Nice original mechanics, cool/retro 90s character design, and just a ton of personality abound... definitely give it a go.

I tried a couple of matches today, getting similar performance to VF5: FS.

Since we finally have an arcade perfect port of FV...

FV2 needs a proper arcade conversion. I was still bummed about the huge amounts of geometry missing in Picky's stage on Dreamcast. :/

Gameplay was solid... But it seemed rushed.

What's the sales pitch for Fighting Vipers? Like what makes it unique/better than its rivals like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Battle Arena toshinden?

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Playing Sonic the Fighters at the moment and it is a shame that you can't have true full screen (perfect aspect.... would be nice). Any word on how to get Honey, Metal Sonic, and Robotnik unlocked?

Oh and any word on the Virtual On release..... will it be like Nights were it will be the release of the PS2 version?

d0c_zaius

Well I don't see any issues with them, there's not screen tearing and everything animates rather smooth.
...and gaddamn at FV and VF2, it's like these games were designed so matches end within 5 seconds lol.

They're already out on US PSN, GO GO GO!

thanks for the impressions! picked all 3 up. As soon as I heard the VF2 music, I started smiling.

FSgwd.png

https://twitter.com/shimodan/status/273635711113125889

Model 2 porting team joking about how they can't beat any of the overseas players playing Sonic the Fighters. "It's as if there was some sort of cut-throat country on the other side of the sea where people have been practicing this game forever."

Which one of you guys stomped on them? lol

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Virtua Fighter 2 looks so crisp and beautiful, even better than how I remember
the Saturn version
! Plays great too. The borders aren't as noticeable if you set it to large (1080); at that setting, only the sides are left.

Stopping for the evening, but if anyone wants to play me in VF2 later, add Pak38 on PSN (lemme know you're from GAF).

"Even good guys blow it, ahahaha!" Oh god, my sides.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with Fighting Vipers. First time playing though, loving it.

Tizoc

Damn even on Easy this game rapes you @3@.

Eh didn't care for the lack of widescreen TBH, I just set it to 4:3 (Large) and focused only on the game area...didn't notice or take note of the blue borders.

Playing Sonic the Fighters at the moment and it is a shame that you can't have true full screen (perfect aspect.... would be nice). Any word on how to get Honey, Metal Sonic, and Robotnik unlocked?

Oh and any word on the Virtual On release..... will it be like Nights were it will be the release of the PS2 version?

For Honey, read the Trophy/Ach. list.

we should hit up Sega and let them know that we want 16:9 support. where did the Nights fans contact Sega to get their patch done? we should do the same thing haha. if PC emulators can run Virtua Fighter 2 in 16:9, Sega can too..

Slygmous

Downloading all the demos now. Surprisingly small file sizes, which is nice! I'll have to choose one for purchase tonight, and get the other two next month.

Trojan X

Banned
we should hit up Sega and let them know that we want 16:9 support. where did the Nights fans contact Sega to get their patch done? we should do the same thing haha. if PC emulators can run Virtua Fighter 2 in 16:9, Sega can too..

Yes you and everyone else should tell SEGA to put it in as an option via an patch update. There is nothing taxing about it as it's just a script to draw some extra geometry and nothing more. It's easy for ElSemi (if he worked on it) to do but, mind you, it all depends on how these model2 gamers were coded in the first place. If its done near the same way as the emu then the programmers can easily make the adjustment.

This is the script that was used in the emu version of the game:

require("model2")

function Init()

end

function Frame()
local state = I960_ReadByte(0x202098);
local state2 = I960_ReadByte(0x20209C);
local state3 = I960_ReadByte(0x2020AC);

if state==3 and state2==5 and state3==1 then
Model2_SetWideScreen(0)
else
Model2_SetWideScreen(1)
Model2_SetStretchALow(1)
Model2_SetStretchBLow(1)
Model2_SetStretchAHigh(1)
Model2_SetStretchBHigh(1)

end

end

Unfortunately, even if it takes SEGA 10mins to do, I don't have much hope that this will happen. Why? Because it makes too much sense, which isn't the SEGA way. :(

Are the games available in EU now? I've checked last night on PSN but, unfortunately, it wasn't up yet.

Yes you and everyone else should tell SEGA to put it in as an option via an patch update. There is nothing taxing about it as it's just a script to draw some extra geometry and nothing more.

There could be a lot more to it than that. Having a Shenmue avatar, you should know that with some games, it's not always as simple as checking a "Make it Widescreen" box for games that weren't designed for it.

Unfortunately, even if it takes SEGA 10mins to do, I don't have much hope that this will happen. Why? Because it makes too much sense, which isn't the SEGA way. :(

Are the games available in EU now? I've checked last night on PSN but, unfortunately, it wasn't up yet.

If anyone speaks Japanese, can we ask the devs via twitter why widescreen isn't there? Given that Sega patched NiGHTS, who knows what can happen if enough people clamor for it.

Trojan X

Banned
There could be a lot more to it than that. Having a Shenmue avatar, you should know that with some games, it's not always as simple as checking a "Make it Widescreen" box for games that weren't designed for it.

My third sentence said: "...but, mind you, it all depends on how these model2 games were coded in the first place."

If it was done by ElSemi using his M2 knowledge then I'm confident that he could have done something. However, if its an adapted version of the PS2 game then that's different.

Slygmous

You can change the main menu music with the L+R triggers! No Saturn arrangements though.

I ended up buying Sonic. Metal Sonic is cheap as hell! He even makes Eggman look like a joke.
I finally managed to beat him (on easy, with Nack) but can't figure out how to play as him :( Him and Eggman have movelists though.

As for widescreen... while I think it'd look awesome, fighters don't tend to do well with changes to aspect ratio, from what I've heard anyway, so I still doubt they will do it.

Edit: Oh yeah, tried online and got a very laggy match, they disconnected midway through the first round when I started kicking ass.

Rlan

Funny to see that with the changed they made to Sonic The Fighters (Honey) that it still says Robotnic on the startup screen.

Here's some footage of Honey in action, by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yUqxAbFrk

As for "true widescreen" stuff -- while there have been emulators that have done it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v2tXndtpvg) the HUD is still pretty fucked up. It takes a lot of extra work to get that stuff in the right working order without it looking pretty crap. I mean it's pretty pixelated already with the polygons being much higher res.

Recall

Just bought VF2 and Virtua Fighter 2 is just like Virtua Fighter 5 FS. You will S-Rank it and get all the achievements in about 20 mins. It still plays how I remember though :)

Top Bottom