• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA AM2 Collection Vol. 1 |OT| Now you can Model 2

Reiko

Banned
Fighting Vipers for me. Never played this one but I still have the sequel somewhere in my storage which I thought it was fun. Would like to see The Last Bronx being release down the line.

Fighting Vipers 2 was a kick in the nuts for me. The magic of the first game was gone.

Slygmous

Guy... This is madness. Fighting Vipers is a really great fighting game, there's actually still very little on the market like it.
I know, I owned it on the Saturn and played the hell out of it :) Only played StF once in an arcade.
It might be hard to adjust to the arcade music for FV now, that Saturn soundtrack was pretty influential to me.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What's the "Kids Mode" listed in the FV achievements? Is it the big head/tiny body thing, or is it the beginners mode that lets you mash out combos a la VFKids?

IrishNinja

i really do like supporting sega - especially this era that we don't see much of - but as a PS+ subscriber it's tricky, because so much of their older stuff is offered free eventually, and my curiosity about sonic fighters can kinda wait

For those importing Ryu ga Gotoku 5, VF2 is included.

cant wait for announcement of 2013 GOTY localization, as well as the HD remakes of 1-2

OP should note the inclusion of additional playable characters in Sonic the Fighters, it was pretty neat of them to dig into the game to add that. (And fix up Honey a little, since she had a few bugs.)

should I buy VF2 on PS3 or 360? I prefer buying my games on 360, but if VF has a huge PS3 crowd I may go for that version instead. If VF5:FS is any indications, 360 should have a decent community hopefully

Tizoc

cant wait for announcement of 2013 GOTY localization, as well as the HD remakes of 1-2

dillonpredator.gif

Brisal73

should I buy VF2 on PS3 or 360? I prefer buying my games on 360, but if VF has a huge PS3 crowd I may go for that version instead. If VF5:FS is any indications, 360 should have a decent community hopefully

Most VFDC (virtuafighter.com) players are on Xbox Live

@MUWANdo

Banned

The original home release of VF5 only had online play on 360, so that's where most of the serious players are/were.

probably no online versus anyways, right?

Well, the press releases say online multiplayer... I'm not exactly sure how to interpret that, but I feel like if they had meant leaderboards, they would have just said leaderboards. My expectation would be that there is online MP.

Zabka

Not sure I understand the reasoning behind this kinda talk though. I guess I only played it once, and it doesn't quite compare to its AM2 siblings... but unplayable?

It's a little known fact that Sonic the Fighters arcade machines actually break your fingers when you lose.

Tain

Sonic is so bad.

It might be hard for me to resist VF2 and Fighting Vipers for nostalgia's sake, but VF2 in the RGG5 demo used the stutter approach for handling the timing difference between Model 2 and modern hardware, so I wonder if these ports will do the same.

And if they do, I might not want to buy them.

Fighting Vipers get.

I thought Shenmue was already planned though?

Just rumors, nothing's been confirmed at all.

I appreciate the effort in getting Model 2 conversions out there, but none of these games are worth playing today. Will pass.

To each his own, but I'd categorically disagree that VF2 and FV aren't worth playing, even excluding the retro value. This is from Sega's golden age.

Birbo

Virtua Fighter 2 was the game for me and my friends back in the day. I think buying a Saturn at $400 and a copy of VF2 actually saved me money from going to the arcade every night. Will buy that purely on nostalgia, but wonder how it's going to hold up.

TheOGB

Banned
Also Sonic The Fighters is virtually unplayable.

It's a little known fact that Sonic the Fighters arcade machines actually break your fingers when you lose.
I seriously don't understand this whole unplayable thing. Was it because I was playing the Gamecube version with my friend? Are these horrible memories from the arcade version? I've also only played the actual arcade version once, but I don't remember it being awful.

Someone please, enlighten me.

PowderedToast

i really do like supporting sega - especially this era that we don't see much of - but as a PS+ subscriber it's tricky, because so much of their older stuff is offered free eventually, and my curiosity about sonic fighters can kinda wait

they'll be getting subsidised by sony for that access, anyway

Still bummed this doesn't support widescreen. Seems kinda lazy.

Agreed. The plain blue 4:3 background looks really bland as well, it makes the ports seem like rush jobs. That's my only worry.

I'll pick up FV and VF2 just because I have been waiting YEARS for arcade perfect versions of those games.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Sonic is so bad.

It might be hard for me to resist VF2 and Fighting Vipers for nostalgia's sake, but VF2 in the RGG5 demo used the stutter approach for handling the timing difference between Model 2 and modern hardware, so I wonder if these ports will do the same.

Could you explain in detail what this "stutter approach" is? I'd like to learn more about it.

SkylineRKR

For 5 a pop I'll buy them all.

Fighting Vipers is really fun though. It was very easy to get into and smashing someone through the fence never got old. The Saturn version was good, but I played it at the arcade and that was 60fps with excellent lighting.

Sonic the Fighters I think was based on FV, it didn't really work but I can't resist a Sonic fighting game. The characters looked nice on Model 2.

Tain

Could you explain in detail what this "stutter approach" is? I'd like to learn more about it.

Model 2 games run at 57hz, and since they wait for the screen to be drawn to update all game logic, changing their refresh rate will change the speed that they run at. All modern consoles run at 60hz, so there are a few ways to handle this refresh rate gap:

- Change the speed of the game to 60hz to match the modern hardware, increasing the speed of everything by ~4-5%
- Render 57 individual frames during the 60hz cycle and repeat a few frames each second
- Have screen tearing all over the place

They went with the second approach, which means you'll get a few frames of "stutter" each second.

Some of the M2-developed Sega Ages 2500 PS2 releases of Model 2 games let the user select between 60hz and 57hz. I prefer speeding the game up in most cases, so I'm hoping that option shows up here.

Model 2 games run at 57hz, and since they wait for the screen to be drawn to update all game logic, changing their refresh rate will change the speed that they run at. All modern consoles run at 60hz, so there are a few ways to handle this refresh rate gap:

- Change the speed of the game to 60hz to match the modern hardware, increasing the speed of everything by ~4-5%
- Render 57 individual frames during the 60hz cycle and repeat a few frames each second
- Have screen tearing all over the place

They went with the second approach, which means you'll get a few frames of "stutter" each second.

Some of the M2-developed Sega Ages 2500 PS2 releases of Model 2 games let the user select between 60hz and 57hz. I prefer speeding the game up in most cases, so I'm hoping that option shows up here.

That's awesome info, man, thanks for the explanation.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Oh wow, I never knew that. Thank you for explaining, Tain. I, too, hope we get the option to select.

I have faith in AM Port Team.

I skimmed OP so quick that the only words that I initially saw were Panzer Dragoon and 4.99. My brain exploded. After I came to my senses I reread it and cried a little inside. I'll support this if we can get a new Virtual On or at least the PS2 remake of cyber troopers on xbla.

I skimmed OP so quick that the only words that I initially saw were Panzer Dragoon and 4.99. My brain exploded. After I came to my senses I reread it and cried a little inside. I'll support this if we can get a new Virtual On or at least the PS2 remake of cyber troopers on xbla.

Damn.. given I wouldn't wish that disappointment on anyone, moved and unbolded.

That's coming...see the OP.

Fighting Vipers 2 was a kick in the nuts for me. The magic of the first game was gone.

Agreed. Fighting Vipers was one of my favorite games. I played it for hours upon hours with friends. When I first booted Fighting Vipers 2 the first thing I said was, WTF is up with this art design. Then I thought to myself, it's all about gameplay! This will kick butt! 3 hours later, I realized Fighting Vipers 1 played better.

/sad

Wait, these games have been given the bordered 'Sonic Adventure 1' treatment instead of the Daytona visual update?? Ah man :(

We're not quite sure what the display options will be. The screens released thus far have been blue bordered - if the full games only allow for this, I'll update the OP with that (disappointing) piece of info.

vazel

Banned
I got Fighting Vipers. There is a full mode but all it does is stretch the image. Game still looks good bordered. It's 1080p and looks very clean.

GrayFoxPL

There is a full mode but all it does is stretch the image. Game still looks good bordered. It's 1080p and looks very clean.

You have it?

How asshole is Jeffry? Only that's how we'll know it's a good port. ;)

You edited to FV. Nevermind.

Tizoc

Yup there's a fullscreen mode in VF2, gonna try FV now...actually save that for last and gonna try Sonic Fighters 1st.

Slermy

So, just to be clear, these are all extra features?

VF2: switch between ver2.0 and ver2.1, quick Dural select
FV: Sonic/Tails playable (?)
STF: playable Eggman/Metal Sonic, new/restored character Honey

This is great, I had no idea there was extra content in these.

I want to support this, so I'll probably grab at least Sonic the Fighters.

Maybe Fighting Vipers too, but I could never really get into it.

I would have bought VF2 if not for its inclusion in Yakuza 5.

Top Bottom